Cottonee [QC 2/3] [GP 0/2]

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Taken over from SevenSins who was the previous write. Not all of his work is put into this, however.

Overview
########

+ Excellent typing. Grass / Fairy allows it to beat Pokemon such as Timburr and Mienfoo
+ Excellent Support. Memento, Encore, Taunt, Leech Seed passing
+ Excellent pivot.
- Fletchling bait
- Can be Tauntbait, as it is relatively weak.
- Cannot touch certain Pokemon at all

Utility
########
name: Utility
move 1: Encore
move 2: Memento / Knock Off
move 3: Taunt / Knock Off
move 4: Dazzling Gleam Stun Spore / Memento / Dazzling Gleam
ability: Prankster
item: Eviolite
evs: 116 HP / 196 Def / 196 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========

- Encore helps with checking Pokemon such as Shell Smash Tirtouga, or to lock Pokemon such as Mienfoo into Fake Out. This combined with Memento can often lead a Pokemon to sweeping the opponent's team.
- Memento helps Cottonee support its teammates to the fullest extent, and can be used if Cottonee needs to be sacrificed for some reason.
- Knock Off is another awesome support move. The ability to get rid of an opponent's item is invaluable support.
- Taunt can be used to stop setup sweepers, or leads from setting up entry hazards.
- Stun Spore can be used to spread Paralysis throughout the opponent's team. With the powder move nerf there are better options, as it won't get walled as easily.
- Dazzling Gleam lets Cottonee deal STAB damage against common switchins such as Fletchling.

Set Details
========

- The EV spread gives Eviolite numbers, and allow Cottonee to be as bulky as possible.
- A Bold nature does not inhibit Cottonee's Knock Off, as the move should not be viewed as a way to get damage. Instead it should be viewed as support.
- An Eviolite allows Cottonee to have excellent bulk, especially with the customized EV spread.
- Prankster allows Cottonee to function as best as possible as a support Pokemon, granting its non-attacking moves +1 priority.
- Cottonee can run more speed to perform as a decent lure for certain Pokemon. 16 Speed can outspeed Fletchling, often getting the Memento off if your Fletchling counter is gone. 17 Speed with Timid and HP Fighting can lure in Eviolite Pawniards extremely well.

Usage Tips
========

- Cottonee should be used as a pivot, switching in on attacks such as Drilbur's Earthquake.
- When Cottonee is about to die, Memento is the best option, as it allows other sweepers to setup much easier.
- Cottonee can lock threatening Pokemon such as Misdreavus into useless moves such as Nasty Plot or Substitute if timed correctly.

Team Options
========

- Cottonee should be paired with devastating setup sweepers.
- Pawniard can make an excellent partner as it can switch into Fletchling and put offensive pressure.
- Vullaby is a great addition, as Cottonee is completely hard walled by Foongus, and Foongus is completely hard walled by Vullaby.
- Pokemon such as Scraggy, Zigzagoon, and Misdreavus all work wonders in setting up and wrecking unprepared teams.
- Should be treated as Hyper Offense. Stacking Pokemon that can set up on specific playstyles is nice. Hazards and Dual Screen support can be nice, but can usually leave little room for offensive pressure (too much support is bad).

SubSeed
########
name: SubSeed
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Substitute / Protect
move 4: Protect / Stun Spore / Taunt
item: Eviolite / Leftovers

Moves
========

- Encore is one of the best moves for Cottonee, as it allows it to setup a safe substitute and start stalling with Leech Seed.
- Leech Seed allows it to gain health, while also whittling down any non Grass-type. It can also be psuedo recovery for other teammates.
- Substitute allows Cottonee to be as annoying as possible, and works great with 2 turns of Leech Seed recovery making up for one Substitute. This effectively gives it 7-8 chances to setup a Substitute, if the opponent breaks it every time.
- Protect can be used instead, as it does not whittle Cottonee's health down, however it is more vulnerable to continued attacks and can not reliablly take down the opponent's health every turn due to its fail chance if used in succession.
- Stun Spore can be used to spread Paralysis throughout the opponent's team. With the powder move nerf there are better options, as it won't get walled as easily.
- Taunt can be used to stop setup sweepers, or leads from setting up entry hazards.
- Memento can be used as a last resort move, and can deal the final blow to the opponent's team, allowing ample time for a sweeper to setup.

Set Details
========

- The EV spread gives Eviolite numbers, and allow Cottonee to be as bulky as possible.
- A Bold nature does not inhibit Cottonee's Knock Off, as the move should not be viewed as a way to get damage. Instead it should be viewed as support.
- An Eviolite allows Cottonee to have excellent bulk, especially with the customized EV spread.
- Berry Juice can be used instead and it works great with Substitute.
- Leftovers is a gimmicky option but allows Cottonee constant recovery, and allows for even more Substitutes than normal.
- Prankster allows Cottonee to function as best as possible as a support Pokemon, granting its non-attacking moves +1 priority.

Usage Tips
========

- Cottonee should be used as an annoyer, and can be viewed as a "wallbreaker" of sorts. It can gradually wear down an opponent's team with Leech Seed allowing for something else to sweep.
- If Fletchling is present on the opponent's team, it is best to eliminate it first, before attempting to Leech Seed stall.
- Cottonee should Encore a useless move, such as Shell Smash or Hidden Power Fire, and then use Substitute from there.

Team Options
========

- Pokemon that can switch into Fletchling are the most ideal partners. Archen, Chinchou, and Tirtouga are all excellent options.
- A Pokemon to eliminate Grass-types is also great. Fletchling can be used, or Vullaby, among other Pokemon.
- A Pokemon that can capitalize on gradually weakened teams, such as Moxie Scraggy, is great as well, as that sweeper will appreciate the psuedo recovery from switching into a Leech Seeded Pokemon, and can usually sweep though its weakened checks and counters.

Sunny Day Support
########
name: Sunny Day Support
Move 1: Sunny Day
Move 2: Encore
Move 3: Stun Spore
Move 4: Taunt / Memento
item: Eviolite / Eject Button / Heat Rock
evs: 116 HP / 196 Def / 196 Sp Def

Moves
========

- Sunny Day allows for Pokemon such as Bellsprout and Bulbasaur to be excellent sweepers.
- Memento lowers the opponent's attack and special attack, and allows another sun sweeper to come in and possibily setup a Growth.
- Taunt stops other Pokemon's Taunt and other non damaging moves, which is useful for Cottonee.
- Stun spore and Encore help to put a full stop to any potential sweep, and is best used in an emergency.

Set Details
========

- Max Defense with Bold allows Cottonee to be a great Fighting-type check.
- Eviolite is the best item option, as it allows Cottonee to possibly setup Sunny Day multiple times throughout the match.
- Heat Rock can be used for longer Sun turns.
- Cottonee can lead off the battle, use Sunny Day and Eject with the Eject button, allowing a set up sun sweeper to come in, although this is slightly gimmicky.

Usage Tips
========

- Cottonee can lead off the battle, use Sunny Day and Eject with the Eject button (if it holds it), allowing a set up sun sweeper to come in
- Sunny day, then memento, allowing the next pokemon to come in without worries
- Stun Spore and Taunt to be used as needed
- If Memento isn't being used, the Eject button can be very useful.

Team Options
========

- Good Teammates = sun sweepers: Oddish, Bellsprout and Bulbasaur- Also Fire types benefit from the sun such as Larvesta and Ponyta- Things that can wall Fletchling (i.e. Steel Types and Rock Types)
- Vullaby is a great addition, as Cottonee is completely hard walled by Foongus, and Foongus is completely hard walled by Vullaby.

Other Options
########

- Toxic allows for some more stall oriented option, although Stun Spore is usually the better status option.
- Switcheroo can be used with items such as a Flame Orb to dismantle an opponent's team in a pinch.
- Tailwind can be used similar to Memento, and it allows a teammate to possibly sweep.
- Cotton Guard is an option so as to further increase Cottonee's Defense stat.
- Cotton Spore further slows down the opponent, although is outclassed by Stun Spore.
- Tickle, Confide, and Fake Tears lower the opponent's Attack and Defense stats.

Checks and Counters
########

**Grass-types**: Foongus, Ferroseed, and Snover can all come in undisturbed and hit Cottonee with a super effective move. They are all immune to Cottonee's Stun Spores and Leech Seeds and all threaten Cottonee.

**Poison-types**: Grimer, Trubbish, and Foongus can all OHKO Cottonee with their super effective 4x STAB move, and they usually do not mind anything Cottonee does to them.

**Steel-types**: Pokemon such as Pawniard and Magnemite can almost always beat Cottonee one on one. Magnemite is immune to Stun Spore and hits back hard with Flash Cannon. It however needs to watch out for Knock Off.

**Flying-types**: Fletchling can come in on any move, and does not usually mind a Stun Spore as it outspeeds everything notable with priority Acrobatics. Vullaby is immune to any of Cottonee's spore related moves, and completely walls Cottonee.

**Natu**: Natu can completely reverse most of Cottonee's moves due to Magic Bounce.

**Abra**: Abra is immune to any passive damage and can hit extremely hard with Psychic. It however needs to watch out for Knock Off.

Last edited:

Bagon

Banned deucer.
pokemon don't die..er. Also you mention leech seed in the overview..but don't even include it. Maybe add a stallier set, as well as the utility one. and what do you mean by fletchling bait? you might as well say croagunk bait, koffing bait, steel type bait etc. why just include fletch. I mean maybe because it is so common, but maybe add that in checks + counters instead.

mention in team options that it provides support for other pokemon, so maybe some examples of sweepers it helps? looks pretty good though.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cleaned this up, and added the Sunny Day support set. I didn't have time to look over everything however, so when QC gets to this I want them to be extremely thorough, as Cottonee is a pretty important Pokemon, and there are just so many sets to use.

Tagging Heysup Rowan Kavatika Goddess Briyella in this! Ready for QC

This isn't an "official" QC request i'm just spitballing how this should look

On one hand:
Utility
########
name: Utility
move 2: Knock Off / Giga Drain
move 3: Dazzling Gleam / Taunt / Memento
move 4: Stun Spore / Taunt / Memento
item: Eviolite

- any 4 moves etc

SubSeed
########
name: SubSeed
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Substitute / Protect
move 4: Dazzling Gleam / Hidden Power Poison / Hidden Power Fire / Memento
item: Eviolite / Berry Juice / Leftovers

I guess that looks sort of clean?

more input is probably required.

I'm not seeing a need for HP Poison, as HP Fire hits both Ferroseed and Snover on the switch-in as well as opposing Cottonee.
The thing about HP Fire is that it really only hits Ferroseed and Snover for "bonus" whereas I believe Dazzling Gleam opposing Cottonee just as hard as HP Fire. And I'm willing to bet Cottonee is more popular than Snover and Ferroseed combined. Pawniard is also hit by HP Fire, but you should be setting up Leech Seed on its switch, not attacking. HP Fire also barely tickles other Cottonee whereas HP Poison 2HKOes.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
you seem to have removed it from the last analysis, but can you mention a faster spread somewhere? 16 speed allows it outspeed fletchling and encore it's roost/SD or something, and it also allows it to memento or stun spore the bird before you get KOd by acrobatics. 17 speed+hp fight is a good Pawniard lure, that's worth mentioning somewhere as well.
Personally think Giga Drain has more utility than Knock Off on Cottonee tbh. Having that slight recovery is very useful in some situations, I'd slash that before Knock Off (personally, I wouldn't slash knock off at all, but I think most people would disagree)
also, I think dazzling gleam is the more important attacking move as it hits most of cottonee's switch ins harder (fletchling, Pawnaird, Croagunk for example) therefore i think the slashes should go something like:
- encore
- dazzling gleam / giga drain / knock off
- giga drain / taunt / memento
- stun spore / taunt / memento

this still looks kinda messy, again more input is probs required Heysup

Vulllaby should be mentioned in team options for like every set since foongus is basically a hard wall to cottonee and vullaby is a hard wall to foongus.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
No attacking moves on Cottonee. It's far too weak to use them, even Dazzling Gleam, and with the Hidden Power nerf those are even less viable of an option. Take them off all of Cottonee's sets and put Dazzling Gleam in OO, with a warning that Cottonee is very weak. Knock Off is not an exception; even though it's good for removing Eviolites, it doesn't have the priority boost that Cottonee's other moves have, and the damage is obviously pathetic. That one though can go into OO as the only attacking move Cottonee should ever consider. Taunt is a good replacement for attacking moves on pretty much all of its sets.

Remove Berry Juice as an option from the SubSeed set. While Leech Seed isn't exactly reliable, the extra defenses are important to Cottonee's functioning. Oddly enough, I think Leftovers is fine where it is, because of Cottonee's focus on recovering HP on every turn.

QC 2/3

Berry Juice should definitely stay since it basically gives you AT LEAST 3+ extra Substitutes compared to Eviolite. Its actually more than 3 with Leech Seed obviously.

Dazzling Gleam is useful for beating Scraggy which it actually has trouble doing if it doesn't switch into Dragon Dance or have SubSeed. So it should stay at least with a slash.

Otherwise, QC 3/3 unless Hawkstar revokes his. It's going to be messy regardless.

tcr

sage of six tabs
Berry Juice should definitely stay since it basically gives you AT LEAST 3+ extra Substitutes compared to Eviolite. Its actually more than 3 with Leech Seed obviously.

Dazzling Gleam is useful for beating Scraggy which it actually has trouble doing if it doesn't switch into Dragon Dance or have SubSeed. So it should stay at least with a slash.

Otherwise, QC 3/3 unless Hawkstar revokes his. It's going to be messy regardless.
No attacking moves on Cottonee. It's far too weak to use them, even Dazzling Gleam, and with the Hidden Power nerf those are even less viable of an option. Take them off all of Cottonee's sets and put Dazzling Gleam in OO, with a warning that Cottonee is very weak. Knock Off is not an exception; even though it's good for removing Eviolites, it doesn't have the priority boost that Cottonee's other moves have, and the damage is obviously pathetic. That one though can go into OO as the only attacking move Cottonee should ever consider. Taunt is a good replacement for attacking moves on pretty much all of its sets.

Remove Berry Juice as an option from the SubSeed set. While Leech Seed isn't exactly reliable, the extra defenses are important to Cottonee's functioning. Oddly enough, I think Leftovers is fine where it is, because of Cottonee's focus on recovering HP on every turn.

QC 2/3
Would you guys be fine with no slash on BJ but a mention in set details? so it would be

Eviolite / Leftovers

Set Details
========
- Berry Juice can be used so as to recover HP in a pinch, although the defenses boost from Eviolite is preferred

or something.

The attacks aren't meant to be attacking, and they are mostly there for support. for example, HP Fight gives it a great chance to lure in Pawniard, who otherwise forces it out. Dazzling Gleam allows it to do something to Scraggy, instead of switching in, encoring, and switching out, only to rack up hazards. It is also excellent to have a move anyway. As Heysup said it lets it beat Scraggy and Carvanha. Knock Off isn't really meant to be an attacking move, its more meant to help other things sweep. For example if you can Knock Off things like Foongus' Eviolite, or Spritzee's eviolite, etc you can ravage through otherwise opposing Pokemon. I'd be happy to change it though, I'm just wary especially since both Heysup and Rowan listed those sets >.< I want your opinion on this before I qc please c:!

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Berry Juice is fine I guess, but I'm really adamant about no attacking moves on Cottonee. You're telling me that I should waste a moveslot on one, singular threat that has a ton of other checks and counters, on a Pokemon that has the worst 4MSS in the tier? Other Fighting-types and Carvanha are going to switch out simply because they can't damage it and don't want to give Cottonee free turns for SubSeed shenanigans, so don't say it can be used against them as well. No attacking moves on Cottonee.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Yea, I'm not letting this move to GP without Dazzling Gleam. The fact that you have Cottonee totally unable to attack allows it to be beaten by the very things it's supposed to scare off. After this becomes standard, Fighters will be able to carry Poison Jab to OHKO it with no fear and Mienfoo and other momentum pivots can continuously U-turn or Volt Switch against it with no consequence, but the worst part is that these Fighting-types will even be able to switch in against it and either kill it, rack up on damage on it with little to no trouble at all, or force it out with fear of Poison Jab, which is really really stupid. What can it do to Chinchou? What can it do to any competent player who knows Cottonee has no attacking moves?

Celestavian

Smooth
As much as I feel it would be sub-optimal, now that I think about it, being unable to deal damage at all is kinda silly, so I'd be willing to let Dazzling Gleam go on the regular utility set. However, it has no place on the SubSeed set. The fact that Leech Seed deals damage, even if it's only 2-3 HP a turn, is enough, because damage is not the point of using Cottonee in that way. The goal of the SubSeed set is to force a switch, set up a free Substitute, and fire off Leech Seed + SubProtect (if you run that) to slowly whittle down the opposing team, especially with hazards thrown in. There's no room for Dazzling Gleam, even with it's new 4x weakness to Poison. Substitute will protect you from Poison Jab well enough.

tcr

sage of six tabs
OK added in Dazzling Gleam in the 4th slot as the main slash. wanting confirmation from Hawkstar as well as other QC members to make it OK.

Celestavian

Smooth
I'd say put it over Taunt, since Stun Spore is so good. Stun Spore and Substitute are the two moves that make me scared of Cottonee, and it helps prevent free U-turns and Volt Switches on it if they are afraid of getting paralyzed first. Taunt is nice to have, but I wouldn't say it's one of Cottonee's main moves, given the relative rarity of opposing Taunts and the fact that Encoring setup moves is way better than Taunting them.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
The fact that Leech Seed deals damage, even if it's only 2-3 HP a turn, is enough, because damage is not the point of using Cottonee in that way. The goal of the SubSeed set is to force a switch, set up a free Substitute, and fire off Leech Seed + SubProtect (if you run that) to slowly whittle down the opposing team, especially with hazards thrown in. There's no room for Dazzling Gleam, even with it's new 4x weakness to Poison. Substitute will protect you from Poison Jab well enough.
Continuous U-turn/Volt Switch will always easily beat SubSeed with no consequence, because Prankster causes Leech Seed to go first and then its target will damage Cottonee and switch out to another teammate, making Leech Seed's effect null while having healed nothing. That was my main point. Of course Leech Seed will deal damage and heal you if the opponent is dumb enough to stay in or has no VoltTurn users, which is relatively uncommon among competent players. A damaging move is necessary.

Nature Power should also get a mention in Other Options, as it's essentially a priority Tri Attack when used in tandem with Prankster. While it has absolutely horrible coverage, a priority 80 Base Power move can save the day in a lot of situations, including against a weakened Fletchling even in the face of Gale Wings Acrobatics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)