Resource Creative and Underrated Sets: ORAS Edition (NO SHITTY GIMMICKS, Read Post #419)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Icy Wind
- Trick

There were a couple of matches where I was able to show how it works well but unfortunately replays are down so I'll just explain it a bit. Anyways this set is pretty customizable in terms of moves. I have Icy Wind to handle Scarf Lando-T and to slow down threats such as DDance Altaria, DDance Dragonite, general dragon dancers for partners to clean up afterwards which is the main reason why I used this move. Focus Blast hits Greninja, Scarf Excadrill (Can people please stop using this btw, it's terrible :I ), all the usual stuff really and some rare things that people have been using like Scarf Hydreigon for example. Shadow Ball is to clean up on bulky psychics and is overall just reliable STAB. Trick is to break stall and hinder defensive cores as well as your general set up sweepers and anything that hates being locked into a move.

Like mentioned sets pretty customizable to fit your needs in terms of coverage so move that around to fit your team. My advice when using this is to use this as a revenge killer or late game cleaner. That is where it shines the most and should also be used as a lure of sorts and to have a surprise advantage. So yeah that's scarf Gengar.

Icy wind also slows down mega salamence if it hasn't gotten up a ddance yet, making it harder for it to set up and making it easier to revenge kill.

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

I made this set because my team had a weakness to bisharp. 220 evs in speed and jolly nature to outspeed adamant bisharp, substitute to avoid wow from rotom-w. Drain punch is a great gift imo and I use spiky shield to scout move.
It's an annoying set.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There were two Pokemon which I used to lure deal with CM and PhysDef variants of Mega Slowbro in my RMT team (the former in a variant of it), and they are surprisingly effective:

Punishment+Earth Plate/Expert Belt Landorus-T

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate / Expert Belt
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Punishment
- Stone Edge

The aim of this set is to U-turn out of predicted Slowbro switch-ins, and if they successfully set up to +2 or more it can reliably KO. The item is to bluff the Choice item, to make it look like I'm locked into Earthquake and scouting for damage as Slowbro sets up, and that is when I reveal the Punishment, which has a 99.6% chance to 2HKO vs Slowbro at +2, before factoring in the possibility of Stealth Rock. Here is a scenario I often run into with this set:
  • I have just taken something out with Earthquake
  • My opponent sends out Slowbro
I see my opportunity, so I bluff the choice, pretending I am scouting to see how much EQ will do.
  • Landorus uses Earthquake (252+ Atk Earth Plate Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 127-150 (32.2 - 38%) -- 96.7% chance to 3HKO or 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 105-124 (26.6 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO, depending on item)
  • The opposing Slowbro uses Calm Mind
I now have my chance: at this point, 2 punishments are guaranteed to take Slowbro out, assuming it doesn't Slack Off. My opponent has two options: thinking that I am being forced to switch out, they either uses Slack Off or sets up another Calm Mind. If I expect a Slack Off, I switch out to an Electric-type. However, if I expect another Calm Mind I reveal my trump card: Punishment.
  • Landorus uses Punishment (252+ Atk Landorus-T Punishment (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 196-232 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO or 252+ Atk Expert Belt Landorus-T Punishment (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 235-278 (59.6 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO, depending on item)
  • The opposing Slowbro uses Calm Mind
They now have two options: save Slowbro and lose their boosts, or sacrifice Slowbro. This means that I can then use Landorus to force it out if it ever tries to come in on me again - especially if they choose to set up boosts. Either way, I end up in a better position overall

Teams to use this on:
  • VoltTurn
  • Bulky offense
  • Balance
  • Balanced offensive
  • Anti-Meta
Special Attacking Lure Tyranitar

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

The aim of the set on my RMT team was to lure PhysDef Slowbro in, as it can usually take on Tyranitar reliably unless it gets the defense drop due to its ungodly defense stat and burn or sufficiently cripple it with Scald, through concealment of the set and carefully playing around my opponent. However, it also works as an effective lure for Pokemon like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Landorus-T, Azumarill, Alomomola, Mega Sceptile, Politoed... you name something Tyranitar normally lures, it lures it and takes it out in almost all cases aside from Fighting-types not called non-sash Breloom. It is funny to see people's reactions when they lose their bulky Water-type to Tyranitar, and it is one of the most fun sets to use.

Teams to use it on:
  • Bulky offense
  • Anti-Meta
  • Balance
  • Balanced offensive
I could bring up Tyraniboah while I'm talking about Tyranitar, but that is a topic for another day, and one which I can't comment on ATM due to lack of experience with the set.

Last edited:

Scotti

we back.
Scarf Greninja

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid/Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

This set is a total ass. At first I thought Scarf greninja was some troll gimmicky set, but after losing my mega mence and scarf lando-t to this thing; I don't think so. The ability to revenge kill 2 of the most used mons, and the ability to outspeed everything is pretty amazing. It also revenges Mega Altaria, any boosting dragon, scarf chomp, scarf tran, scarf rachi, mega zam, and even AM's Scarf Gengar. A lot of people don't see this coming, so you lose a poke randomly. Now that I lost my mega mence to this like every time I try to sweep; I had to address this set.

252 SpA Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 290-344 (89.7 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 604-712 (189.3 - 223.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 240-284 (82.4 - 97.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 234-276 (77.4 - 91.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 544-648 (164.3 - 195.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Salamence: 388-460 (98.4 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO for fun
252 SpA Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jirachi: 222-264 (65.1 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (opposing u-turn does not kill)
0 Atk Protean Greninja U-turn vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Weavile: 200-236 (71.1 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You could also run other moves to revenge kill other things. The drop is power is annoying, but even with that drop of power this monster continues to ruin my hopes of sweeping with mega mence.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Greninja

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid/Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

This set is a total ass. At first I thought Scarf greninja was some troll gimmicky set, but after losing my mega mence and scarf lando-t to this thing; I don't think so. The ability to revenge kill 2 of the most used mons, and the ability to outspeed everything is pretty amazing. It also revenges Mega Altaria, any boosting dragon, scarf chomp, scarf tran, scarf rachi, mega zam, and even AM's Scarf Gengar. A lot of people don't see this coming, so you lose a poke randomly. Now that I lost my mega mence to this like every time I try to sweep; I had to address this set.

252 SpA Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 290-344 (89.7 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 604-712 (189.3 - 223.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 240-284 (82.4 - 97.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 234-276 (77.4 - 91.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 544-648 (164.3 - 195.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Salamence: 388-460 (98.4 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO for fun
252 SpA Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jirachi: 222-264 (65.1 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (opposing u-turn does not kill)
0 Atk Protean Greninja U-turn vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Weavile: 200-236 (71.1 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You could also run other moves to revenge kill other things. The drop is power is annoying, but even with that drop of power this monster continues to ruin my hopes of sweeping with mega mence.
The problem with scarf Greninja is that people have been using it just to revenge KO mega mence, provided its not behind a sub. That just goes to show how over centralizing and disgustingly broken mega mence is.
Edit: I guess its nice to surprise KO a scarf landorus-T or something at +1, but the loss in power is way too significant.

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Choice Scarf Greninja is the definition of mediocrity. There are far better ways of dealing with MegaMence that don't waste a Pokemon's potential (Mamoswine (not behind sub), Ice Punch MegaGross, Air Balloon+HP Ice Heatran, Mega Slowbro and Physdef+Stone Edge Landorus-T, to name a few), and, like boltsandbombers said, Scarf Greninja is just way too weak for it to be a genuinely viable set.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Choice Scarf Greninja is the definition of mediocrity. There are far better ways of dealing with MegaMence that don't waste a Pokemon's potential (Mamoswine (not behind sub), Ice Punch MegaGross, Air Balloon+HP Ice Heatran, Mega Slowbro and Physdef+Stone Edge Landorus-T, to name a few), and, like boltsandbombers said, Scarf Greninja is just way too weak for it to be a genuinely viable set.
All variants of landorus-t fail to 2hko the standard bulky sub dd mega mence set, so it is not a counter it's really just turned into setup fodder. The others I agree with.

Martin

All variants of landorus-t fail to 2hko the standard bulky sub dd mega mence set, so it is not a counter it's really just turned into setup fodder. The others I agree with.
I put it there because of Intimidate and it isn't 2HKO'd by when jolly mence is at -1 (-1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 121-144 (31.7 - 37.7%) -- 93% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery), but yeah it is a check at best.

e: a set I've been using for Mega Swampert is the offensive SR set:

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 224 Atk / 104 SpA / 180 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam

the EVs OHKO physdef landorus-t with ice beam after rocks damage, which it can never achieve with Ice Punch, and the speed outpaces 8 speed landorus-t on and before the turn it mega evolves. the rest is pretty self-explanitory.

Last edited:
o.O why would landorus-t want to stay in on swampert anyways? Ice punch and waterfall are almost standard on most mega swampert sets, and most landorus-t are scarf these days anyways, and would probably just u-turn out anyways.

Reactions: zbr

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

Leading with Rotom-W seems fairly common so I lead with this guy when I see the other team has a Rotom-W and not another obvious lead. It speed creeps past Rotom-W and sets up the sub to block the Will-o-wisp. It can then Bulk-Up as Rotom uses Volt Switch which doesn't even break the sub. You can then go for a second Bulk-Up or an attack depending on who they send out. It can also play ball with other slow defensive 'mons like SpDef. Heatran, Chansey, Empoleon, and Ferrothorn. If it has no sub then it can be wrecked by flying attacks and super effective special attacks, so I often pair it up with SpDef. Heatran.

Edit: After testing I really like this set. People seem to expect a physically defensive stall wall and don't expect it to outspeed shit and get a sub out to block wisp and toxic. Once it has +3 Def not even Banded Talonflame can OHKO it from full.

Last edited:

Martin

o.O why would landorus-t want to stay in on swampert anyways? Ice punch and waterfall are almost standard on most mega swampert sets, and most landorus-t are scarf these days anyways, and would probably just u-turn out anyways.
I was just trying to be a little creative with Swampert, and Ice Beam can OHKO physdef variants after rocks, so i thought I'd run with it :]

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Chesnaught @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

Leading with Rotom-W seems fairly common so I lead with this guy when I see the other team has a Rotom-W and not another obvious lead. It speed creeps past Rotom-W and sets up the sub to block the Will-o-wisp. It can then Bulk-Up as Rotom uses Volt Switch which doesn't even break the sub. You can then go for a second Bulk-Up or an attack depending on who they send out. It can also play ball with other slow defensive 'mons like SpDef. Heatran, Chansey, and Ferrothorn. If it has no sub then it can be wrecked by flying attacks and super effective special attacks, so I often pair it up with SpDef. Heatran.
I'm interested but why 224 evs on speed?

I wish I could post this in the Victory Road subforum, but my badge has since been removed due to inactivity. oh well

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature

- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Spdef Excadrill is an excellent anti-meta set right now, and this set demonstrates Excadrill's capabilities beyond its pure offensive sets. Dual stab is all Excadrill needs to KO whatever it switches into, including but not limited to Mega Gardevoir, Mega Diancie, Magnezone, Bulky Rotom-W (watch out for wisp), Clefable, Gengar (for scouting), Latios/Latias, Raikou, non-offensive Zapdos and Specs Sylveon. Toxic allows Excadrill to stop Mega Sableye by mold breaking through Magic Bounce, and it's also useful for inflicting status on obvious Lando-T switch-ins among other things. Mega Gardevoir and Mega Diancie are almost incapable of KOing Excadrill with Focus Blast and Earth Power respectively (save for two high rolls from Gardevoir) if you switch in on any of their STAB moves. Without attack investment, Excadrill can still OHKO back and deal serious damage to most of the tier.

"why no salt vest?"

Because you can't just slap Assault Vest on anything to make it bulky. This set's purpose is to be able to repeatedly switch into attacks for the sake of checking/countering opponents and scouting. Thus, Leftovers recovery adds up quickly and makes it so that +0/+1 Clefable Flamethrowers/Fire Blasts can be taken with relative ease, meaning that Excadrill can switch directly into any Clefable set repeatedly (bar modest LO fireblast). Also Mold Breaker Toxic is a cool surprise when your opponent thinks they've already sealed the victory with Mega Sableye.

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 107-126 (25.2 - 29.7%)
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 294-348 (69.3 - 82%)
~15% chance to KO

252 SpA (160) Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 85-101 (20 - 23.8%)
252 SpA (160) Diancie Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 216-256 (50.9 - 60.3%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 204-240 (48.1 - 56.6%)
252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 124-148 (29.2 - 34.9%)

Last edited:
M
Mixed dancer mence

Salamence @ Salamencite
Evs: 4 Atk/ 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Double Edge
- Dragon Dance

Salamence is so centralizing that almost every team has a check to the classic physical dragon dancing mega mence. This set doesn't need setup to kill. Use dragon dance if you think you could sweep through your opponents team or situationally.

Basically switch in on a killable pokemon and you're guaranteed a kill.
0 Atk Aerilate Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 80-94 (26.3 - 30.9%)
252 SpA Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 190-225 (62.5 - 74%)
Does a minimum of 89% to fully defensive rotom w. Chance to 2HKO with rocks up.

-1 0 Atk Aerilate Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 118-141 (30.8 - 36.9%)
252 SpA Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 241-285 (63 - 74.6%)

0 Atk Aerilate Double-Edge vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 192-226 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Draco Meteor vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 186-219 (52.8 - 62.2%)
252 SpA Draco Meteor vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 255-301 (72.4 - 85.5%)

252 SpA Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 348-412 (98.8 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Aerilate Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 157-186 (39.8 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 240-283 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

this ain't gimmicky but its trolly and fun physicly defensive latais
latais @ rocky helmet
ability: levitate
evs 252/hp 252/def 4/spa
bold nature
-wish
-protect
-dragon pulse/draco meteor
-psyshcok/psychic
yeah with this your going to be hard to take down and with wish protect your going to be lasting for a long time
here are some calcs
252+ Atk Charizard Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 112-132 (30.7 - 36.2%) -- 54% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 306-360 (84 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 276-326 (75.8 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Absol Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- 49.2% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 120-142 (32.9 - 39%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 218-258 (59.8 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
this thing is very annoying to deal with so this could become the new common latias set bye

M
Mixed dancer mence

Salamence @ Salamencite
Evs: 4 Atk/ 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Double Edge
- Dragon Dance

Salamence is so centralizing that almost every team has a check to the classic physical dragon dancing mega mence. This set doesn't need setup to kill. Use dragon dance if you think you could sweep through your opponents team or situationally.

Basically switch in on a killable pokemon and you're guaranteed a kill.
0 Atk Aerilate Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 80-94 (26.3 - 30.9%)
252 SpA Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 190-225 (62.5 - 74%)
Does a minimum of 89% to fully defensive rotom w. Chance to 2HKO with rocks up.

-1 0 Atk Aerilate Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 118-141 (30.8 - 36.9%)
252 SpA Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 241-285 (63 - 74.6%)

0 Atk Aerilate Double-Edge vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 192-226 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Draco Meteor vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 186-219 (52.8 - 62.2%)
252 SpA Draco Meteor vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 255-301 (72.4 - 85.5%)

252 SpA Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 348-412 (98.8 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Aerilate Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 157-186 (39.8 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 240-283 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Ummm...
First off, mega mence is going to be banned -_-
Second of all, this isn't even underrated, this is literally standard mixmence, with dragon dance over outrage.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
latais @ rocky helmet
evs 252/hp 252/def 4/spa
bold nature
-wish
-protect
-psyshcok/psychic
yeah with this your going to be hard to take down and with wish protect your going to be lasting for a long time
here are some calcs
252+ Atk Charizard Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 112-132 (30.7 - 36.2%) -- 54% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 306-360 (84 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 276-326 (75.8 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Absol Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- 49.2% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 120-142 (32.9 - 39%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 218-258 (59.8 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
this thing is very annoying to deal with so this could become the new common latias set bye
1). Recover exists
2). Physically defensive Latias accomplishes nothing useful, especially without Defog
3). Rocky Helmet is a bad item for Latias; if she is gonna run a physically defensive spread, leftovers is a much better choice
4). I don't even know why you calced Bisharps Sucker Punch when he has access to Knock Off, and outspeeds Latias that has no speed investment.
5). Charizard wasn't even calced as Charizard X. The real calc is quite close to a OHKO.
6). You're completely walled by Steel-types.

Sorry, but there's no reason to use this set over the offensive Defog set.

latais @ rocky helmet
evs 252/hp 252/def 4/spa
bold nature
-wish
-protect
-psyshcok/psychic
here are some calcs
Just saying, you calc'd with regular Charizard and Absol. These are the right calcs:
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 294-348 (80.7 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 272-324 (74.7 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Anyways, I don't think this set would work. Latias is used for Defog and/or Healing Wish, and your set lacks both. It's really not that good at passing wishes because of its mediocre base 80 HP, even with full investment. If you want some sort of recovery, just go with Roost or Recover. This set can't do anything to Steel-type Pokemon, so it's easily walled by things like MGross, Bisharp, Jirachi, Heatran, Magnezone, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and a lot of others. All in all, it's a really mediocre set.
(sorry if I sound rude)

edit: lol ninja'd

Ummm...
First off, mega mence is going to be banned -_-
Second of all, this isn't even underrated, this is literally standard mixmence, with dragon dance over outrage.
First off, standard mixed mence uses eq instead of outrage, because outrage either:
1. Gets mence killed
2. Makes Mence set up fodder and then killed
Most pokemon killed by outrage are destroyed by draco meteor or flying attacks anyways.

Second off, standard mixed mence uses frustration/return instead of double edge. However, double edge is way too powerful to be substituted. Mence is basically firing off 156 STAB flying attacks. The recoil damage negligible. Most teams run checks that OHKO Salamence with ice beam anyways. The 20% extra damage is also crucial for OHKO and 2HKOs. The fact that people laugh at me when I mention double edge in the chatroom shows how underrated it is.

Thirdly, I dumped all evs into SpA. Most teams use checks that expect mega mence to be physical, thus they get hit much harder by special attacks. Maximizing SpA gives greater marginal damage than 48 Atk evs in most cases.

First off, standard mixed mence uses eq instead of outrage, because outrage either:
1. Gets mence killed
Most pokemon killed by outrage are destroyed by draco meteor or flying attacks anyways.

Second off, standard mixed mence uses frustration/return instead of double edge. However, double edge is way too powerful to be substituted. Mence is basically firing off 156 STAB flying attacks. The recoil damage negligible. Most teams run checks that OHKO Salamence with ice beam anyways. The 20% extra damage is also crucial for OHKO and 2HKOs. The fact that people laugh at me when I mention double edge in the chatroom shows how underrated it is.

Thirdly, I dumped all evs into SpA. Most teams use checks that expect mega mence to be physical, thus they get hit much harder by special attacks. Maximizing SpA gives greater marginal damage than 48 Atk evs in most cases.
It would be better to use as much SpA as it takes to kill threats, then invest the rest in Atk, or vice versa.

Choice scarf pangoro is much more effective with access to the elemental punches
252 attack
252 speed
4HP
parting shot
crunch
drain punch
fire, ice, or thunder punch
Ability iron fist
nature jolly
It pangoro's speed is is it's downside, as even with a scarf it still can be outpaced easily. However partin shot is pangoro's niche here along with an impressive base 124 attack. If pangoro doesn't make OU, im sure we will see him lurking around in the lowere tiers more.

Martin

1. Gets mence killed

The problem I have with specially-based sweeper M-Mence is that it is just poor compared to its other sets. The calcs you gave actually demonstrate this nicely, as in not one of them is there an OHKO (aside from Ferro, but thats because its Fire Blast against a Ferrothorn). Also, there is a problem with the aforementioned calcs:
  • Rotom-W
    • people never run 252/252 defensive Rotom-W. Ever.
    • it would just wisp you then switch out anyway if you only 2HKO.
  • Ferrothorn
    • You don't say. It was a poor choice to demonstrate special M-Mence, as we all know that Fire Blast dents Ferrothorn.
  • Gliscor
    • I'd just click Double Edge predicting it to come in as it is such a high chance to 2HKO. Then again, why switch it in in the first place? its a horrible check to M-Mence.
  • Slowbro
    • >Ice Beam
  • All
    • Not once have you factored in the Draco Meteor drop. You just assume it will get the KO on the second use, which it actually misses out on in all of those cases aside from SubToxic Gliscor:
      • -2 252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 94-112 (30.9 - 36.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
      • -2 252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 121-144 (31.6 - 37.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
      • -2 252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 93-109 (26.4 - 30.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Poison Heal
      • -2 252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 120-142 (30.4 - 36%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
"a kill every time" is bull****, my friend.

I always facepalm when I see people trying to get special attacking M-Mence to work, and you have actually helped me explain why it doesn't work. Salamence will often run Fire Blast or Hyper Voice to lure and KO its common checks, but it should never attempt it on a dragon dance set as it just gives it 4MSS, and it should never use more than one on a set. This set isn't terrible, per se, but if it were me I'd put it under bad gimmick tbh. It is nice for its surprise value, but it is really poor when compared to its other sets simply because it doesn't effectively pull its weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)