Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Week 69 - GAME OVER

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
That's ... Not even a checkmate...position...

Electrolyte even though it pains me to vote for goggles tflame banded azu is a godly set that I gotta vote for

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
I don't think I have to count; congrats to Electrolyte for winning this week! He'll have his team on the HoF post and increased vote weight, etc.

Starting this week, there will be a slight change in the system. Instead of posting your teams here, you'll have to PM me your entries instead! Just title the PM with the Week # and put the same things you usually do (Importable, Description). I'll post all entries here by the time voting start. Voting will be done in a way so we won't know who made which team. Suspense kiddos.

For this week, we'll be using: Serperior

Another Grass-type that benefited from the banning of Skymin, Serperior isn't as bad as you think; quite the contrary, Serperior makes for a good pick for an offensive Grass-type. It can snowball p easily with its Leaf Storms and yeah.

Deadline for submission is on Sunday noon, GMT+1

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
[17:49] checkmater: opinion: anonymous team submissions for teambuilding comp is retarded

1) if you actually seriously build the team you'll have played it vs various people/in tours/on ladder
2) it'll be stylistically obvious whose team is whose
3) can't post replays, which are imo a big part of demonstrating team strength
4) Memoric gets all the likes
5) The writing style of the explanations will also obviously point towards its maker
6) No pre-vote discussion of sets / teams

Arcticblast edit: emphasized the most important line although I agree with everything in this post

Last edited by a moderator:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
People have approached with me wanting this kind of system. I was actually against anon teams but since I thought I was in the minority I gave it a go. The biggest problem I had with doing this system is that people might not give it a go because they won't get likes lol I don't want to steal the likes you guys deserve. All of check's points are valid here. I'd still like to see if this could work though.

Also Serp is ok imo :(

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can't tell if this likes thing is serious or not, but I really hope people aren't hesitant of supporting this system because they won't get any likes and Memoric will. >.<

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Alright I just wrote up a team and sent it to memoric, and despite trying to reduce the amount of "oh check totally wrote this" just looking at the team anyone will be able to identify it. I didn't really think of Memoric getting all the likes being that big of an issue (happens with dpotw anyways) but then Ablast was like "smod coming thru". If you look at the other points they are also perfectly valid.

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
DEADLINE

The deadline has passed! It's time to vote for the team of the week! Pick your vote among the following:

Team 1

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Focus Blast

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Protect
- Dragon Pulse

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Substitute
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Protect

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 72 Atk / 168 Def / 24 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
Serperior needs steel types out of the way in order to really get a sweep / clean going with Leaf Storm, so Landorus-I seemed like a good starting point. Earth Power was obvious and I wanted Focus Blast to hit Ferrothorn and it's nice for Kang as well. Rock Slide was my second coverage choice since Charizard is another problem preventing Serp from doing its job.

Serperior was required and the Life Orb cleaner set is better than any innovation I could come up with so Leaf Storm, Protect, Life Orb, and the EVs were obvious. Glare provides nice utility, being able to paralyze even ground types. Dragon Pulse is stronger than Hidden Power on neutral targets and knocks Latios and Hydreigon at +2, both of whom could otherwise cause lots of trouble to the team.

Aegislash gets lots of chances to sub with two strong wallbreakers already on the team and has good offensive synergy with Serp + Lando-I. Standard set is standard.

Infernape provides Fake Out support and more help against steels, since Aegis also has problem with them. Nothing fancy EV-wise.

I chose Gyarados for Intimidate and originally had a Banded set, changing to bulky with Taunt to help against TR.

At this point I had no mega and needed a strong physical attacker. I tried to figure out a mega to place that wasn't Mega Kang because too many of my teams had Kang already, but it just fit too well. Went for a Protect set to throw some people off. Low Kick, Double Edge, and Adamant for immediate power.

Team 2

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Follow Me
- Hidden Power [Steel]

Serperior @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 68 Atk / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Mild Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off
- Protect

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Hasty Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed
- Knock Off
I originally built a decently successful team with jirachi+Diancie, but I wanted to try out a variant with kang and see if it could be more successful.
First, let me explain the team. It's focused on setting up a 2-mon sweep late game, with something like serperior+blaziken or Kang+Greninja, etc. Thus, the entire team is focused on preserving momentum, with picks such as 4-attacks life orb deoa, Fire Blast with only 241 speed blaziken, and maxspeed togekiss. Generally, the team has issues with talonflame, but you do have deo-a espeed to nuke it after it takes some recoil, and togekiss, imo, counts as a tflame counter.

In my experience playing this team I've played something like 10+ games (sorry can't post replays) with other players in tours/challenges, and only lost to hax (stuff like serperior missing a leaf storm, getting frozen) or fullroom, which seems to give this team a lot of trouble, but I've only played one game of that so I couldn't get to test it extensively. Sun-boosted venu is also a big issue, but it's difficult for sun to lead correctly and properly stop your momentum when they have to wait a turn to get the sun. Once Blaziken gets started or Togekiss sets tailwind, it's generally very difficult for sun to recover. A wellplayed bulky thundurus can also give this team trouble, but unless it gets a lot of full paras you'll be able to nuke it the first turn it's out, then keep your paralyzed mon as a really slow attacker that your opponent still has to respect. And since people are bad and not using protect on thundurus, Kang is a good answer to it as well.

Kang:Standard Boring

Togekiss: ok I run lots of speed because I forsaw having lots of issues with sun, breloom, and diancie. Thus, HP Steel (which is a great pick because no diancie is going to expect it and no diancie is going to just protect in front of you while you potentially set tailwind) is a neat option to snipe diancie-mega. I didn't want to have to run goggles to get 2 spore immunities, so instead I opted for a higher speed togekiss. Initially, I only crept to around 270, but then I realized there were important speed tiers at 280 such as hoopa speed tie and other setup-mons (blaziken, volc) that are in that range. Outspeeding those bulkier char y / kang sets is hilarious as fuck too.

Serp: Standard. This mon is kinda of weak but is excellent at destroying waters. What typically happens is I have to play around their team and somehow give serp room to pull off a leaf storm (ie a sac or a good switch or togekiss) and then it can start nuking everying

Greninja: Also Standard. I considered running taunt here but felt it wouldn't be useful against good tr players, so I decided against it. Ice coverage is very nice for nabbing amoonguss. Anyways, greninja is a great option now with talonflame gone and always pulls its weight, while having several matchups that it perform better in than keld, notably diancie

Blaziken: The team really started when I thought of blaziken sets that would have staying power, that is being able to remain on the field rather than switching after someone switches in their washtom on your overheat. HJK and Fire Blast thus are the options I opted for, while borrowing lots of speed evs to put into spA so that Fire Blast can still ohko Aegis. I really like this set, as once it gets going it really supports that team idea of momentum gains.

Deo-A: life orb deo-a is a set others and I have been thinking of trying, so I tried to make it work here. I use life orb because 1) you get massive nukes, being able to ohko washtom with psycho boost among other things and 2) because I want clean switches. In addition, I went with 4 attacks rather than protect because protect does no damage Deoxys suffers from 4mss in its coverage moves. I didn't want to be unable to hit the switchins 50% of the time, so I went with 4 attacks. Also, in situations where I want to protect (seeing fake out, being outsped) I should really just be switching anyways. I know it's natural instinct of all players to use protect on everything we can, especially deo-a, but a non-sash variant really shouldn't in my opinion, and this set has definitely carried its weight.

Team 3

Serperior @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 48 HP / 200 Def / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect
-Serperior is the pokemon of the week. I use it in a similar fashion to shaymin since it has nice speed and spatk, altho i am aware they arnt the same. I hesitated between sash and lo, not knowing the better set, so a swap is fine. the set is for maximum sweeping power, hitting from heatran/steels to dragons.

-Keldeo is an exellent sweeping partner, as water+grass are amazing offensivly, and fighting beats steel which threatens the duo. a taunt set is used as TR check, otherwise its p standard

-a F/W/G wrap but mainly talon, sun and grass/spore check. Rotom heat is quite underrated, it fills up many holes in teams and checks grass and fire so well, stoping most of what threatens the last two. offensive variant, but since it's in a lot of stress a bulky variant might be used

-wanting a mega at this point, metagross comes to mind, since it has huge offensive presence with keldeo, has very appreciated steel type, bulk and speed that earns it a solid spot in the team. ice punch can be hammer arm, or substitute, but its the only ice type move in the team which is why i used it

-Sylveon is the sweeping fairy to match. adds cutness to the team, helps with the dragons that beat 3/4 of the current members, plus its bulk and power are exellent, and its my spread moves user. its mediocre speed helps in TR

-Hydrei has nice synergy with keldeo and metagross, and completes a F/S/D core. it has ep for heatran, since it beats ~5/6 members of my team without it.

the main threat u might see is talonflame, and if its paired with keldeo you'll have a really hard time, but other than that duo, the team is pretty good. many hp ground are, again, for heatran

Team 4

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Drill Run
- Iron Head
- Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 24 SpA / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Serperior @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind
- Protect
This team was my result from trying to build a Mega Tyranitar team without Shaymin-S. What I was thought was gonna be a decent team at best ended up being really, really solid. Started with the obligatory Mega Ttar + Exca core. Instead of the Skymin + Keld + Talon core that's on KyleCole's sand team, I went with a slightly bulkier Heatom + Azu + Serp core. Rotom-Heat actually has awesome synergy with the Mega Ttar + Exca core. Serperior is the perfect answer for bulky Water-types that threaten this team. Speaking of bulky Water-types, Assault Vest Azumarill provides awesome coverage and typing resists. Lastly, Latios is another floating mon to help out Ttar and Excadrill, as well as Tailwind (if it's needed). So this team effectively has both F/W/G and Steel/Dragon/Fairy cores. This is one of the best teams I've built in ORAS. Use Sand people its good.

Team 5

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Crobat @ Focus Sash
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Protect
- Quick Guard
- U-turn

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Psych Up

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Togekiss @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Protect
- Air Slash
- Tailwind

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
Serperior does what Serperiors tend to do, spamming leaf storm n stuff to get special attack boosts. HP ground beats steel and fire types. Crobat uses Defog to make Serperior get evasion. Crobal also helps it against Fake out, SKILLWAVE, and talonflame with quick guard. Latias has psych up to get Serperior's special attack and evasion boosts. Latias can work either non mega or mega. It and serperior then proceed to rekt everything. Landorus helps the team beat fire types and Hoopa. Togekiss gives Follow Me, tailwind, and flinch support, but you can change one of the moves to Defog to support Serperior more. Metagross can also work as either non mega or mega, if latias doesn't work in a battle, mega metagross can be used instead of mega latias.

Those are the teams! Deadline is on Tuesday GMT+1 Noon.
If you vote for Team 5 ur bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)