Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Week 69 - GAME OVER

This vote either goes to checkmater75 or Yellow Paint, but I choose Yellow Paint, which exploits Life Orb Lando in a better manner.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
With a solid lead, checkmater75 takes the week! Congrats! I also used my 1k for your victory so I hope you feel special,,,

Another week, another Pokemon!

Gengar - It's now time for the Gen I Ghost-type to take the spotlight! Gengar sports some really neat utility in being able to support its team with Icy Wind and Will-O-Wisp and has some solid offensive potential with its 130 Base Special Attack. Still, it's really frail, so it depends on a Focus Sash to stay alive!

Note: This week is for regular Gengar only! Mega Gengar isn't up for use!

Code:
<sprites>
[hide=Importable][/hide][hide=Description][/hide]
Nifty sprite converter: http://fulllifegamer.bplaced.net/format.php - Just put in your importable and you'll get sprites. I'd prefer it if you guys set it to "sprites" to save me some important seconds, and name the hide tags as "Importable" and "Description" thanks :)!

Deadline on next Friday, noon GMT+1.

Also, as you guys probably noticed, this is my 1000th post on the forums, a surely important milestone that shows how much time I wasted dedicated to this site! The last two years have been a blast; from being some OU lower-ladder random to Smogon Doubles Roommod (RIP) to DOU Council nerd to DOU C&C Leader, I can say that I made some really considerable progress and am thankful for the opportunities that have been given to me! I'm just going to take this chance to thank everybody that has been a part of my time in this site, especially the DOU Community guys! Shoutouts to the Classiest too for considering me for their team, you guys rock and yeah!

Here's to more shitposts in the future :)!

SQUAD LIFE [grats memoric]

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Frustration
- Sucker Punch

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 96 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Icy Wind
- Iron Head
- Follow Me
- Protect

Tyranitar (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Superpower

Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Protect

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Trick

This is just a simple Kangaskhan team thrown together with only a few relevant edits that I've changed within less an hour. Basically the goal of the team is to utilise either Mega Kangaskhan or Shuca Berry DDTar to break the field apart in your favour. Depending on which Pokemon will favour more as a sweeper in your match, one can simply be used to break holes in the beginning while the other can destroy what is left unserved. These 2 are heavily supported with Jirachi and Gengar to provide important utility, ranging from redirection, physical crippling to fairy extermination and the prevention of Trick Room. Virizion plays as the water killer, especially good versus Suicune and Rotom-Wash. It provides us with a good Heatran check with Close Combat and can keep Charizard at bay with Stone Edge. Final slot is originally a scarf Kyurem-Black. While it was really strong versus a Landorus-T match-up, it opened up a big fighting weakness on my team. I then tried other alternatives but came to the conclusion of using Scarf Latios, which can catch everybody off-guard with Trick + Scarf and Ice Beam while providing a respectable fighting resist.

You do have to notice the slight Heatran weakness, as you need to keep Virizion up for it or rather go for Tyranitar, which wouldn't be too good. Add Aegislash as well, as it's not going to be good facing it in sand with Ttar. Basically saying, every team member can play very important roles so it's important to know which Pokemon will do best versus another.

EDIT: After so much time of convincing myself with Tyranitar issues, I finally will go for Unnerve > Sand Stream despite the risks.
EDIT: Or maybe not.

Last edited:
Bro, just want to point out that Focus Sash can be rendered useless by Sand Stream. Just something to think about :)!
That could be something to consider, but it's not like I'm bringing out Ttar and Gengar all at one situation; the team is naturally risky to use. Still, good point.

EDIT: Okay to be real, there are other Pokemon in the team that are able to fulfill almost everything that Ttar needs to fulfill: Virizion can cover steels with CC and Char-Y with Stone Edge, while Gengar has Shadow Ball for Aegislash, that's why I decided to go for the riskier games. :)

Last edited:
it's just maw rain
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 216 HP / 44 Atk / 96 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Gengar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Final Gambit
- Bolt Strike
- V-create
- U-turn

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Haze
- Protect

Ludicolo @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 104 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Fake Out
I built this team because I felt like using rain and I had a big passion for maw at the time because VGC just makes it look so perfect. Mawile in DOU is really not lol.
I put toed+ludi on at first yeah yeah

I then thought Mawile rain would be cool so that too

Then I remembered somebody used Victini on rain to fuck with the most troubling things like zard and amoong and ferro and stuff, and I thought the idea was cool because it bounces around and can outspeed+OHKO pretty much every Lando-T with Final Gambit and a scarf.

At this point I was still personally afraid of zard and I was afraid of cm cress creeping up on me in the middle of the night so I put hydreigon on as a fire resist/cress check/thing to OHKO zard with.

So yeah that's what I had. I though kanga would just be annoying sometimes and lando-t could give my non rain side some problems so Gengar helped patch up the rest.

specifics:

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 216 HP / 44 Atk / 96 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge
- Protect
I wanted to like uninvest a lot in spa so that I could be a bit slower and bulkier so I took out enough to fill my hp to almost full (stopped at a good life orb number) and crept the slower zards for the KO, and then I realized that max modest draco on zard itself WAS A ROLL and decided to run stone edge in the third slot. I had to invest in atk a bit to ensure a KO on 0 hp zard at -1 which was as far as I was gonna go.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
Rather offensive because I didn't want problems with things like jirachi and azumarill. I didn't see a reason to run protect because I have sash anyway lol

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect
Just a really big fan of Mawile tbh. Iron Head over SD because I don't have much support for Mawile so I switch it out a lot, and Iron Head gets the KO on Sylveon for my teammates that would otherwise hate it. I guess Mega Metagross does this slot pretty well since it's faster and doesn't always lose against diancie, but maw deters Kangaskhan much better and gets cooler priority and play rough is dank as hell.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Final Gambit
- Bolt Strike
- V-create
- U-turn
The speed beats jolly lando-t. I am not personally afraid of scarf cube so I didn't like creep or anything.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Haze
- Protect
I wanted to be faster than like bisharp because fuck bisharp. I also get to outspeed max speed azu as well as cm cress and any suicune, so I can have fun hazing those fuckers to oblivion (and getting rid of snarl debuffs :s). I guess it would be cooler to slow down and let them like set up w/e so that I can undo it in the same turn, but things like fake out+bd could get around that. I also like offensive/fast politoed, but since I have the rain boost already and ice beam is just to hit like amoong which tanks it p well anyway, I thought spa investment would be a bit wasted and just maxed HP.

Ludicolo @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 104 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Fake Out
With victini and taunt gengar floating around I thought it'd be better to go for the hitting ferro thing instead of the hitting amoong with no force at all thing. Focus Blast is purely for ferro as there's really not much else that both resists hydro and is weak to fblast (non resists to hydro take more from hydro, even if weak to fblast) Also not running orb because I have no thunder wave immunities v_v

basically there are 2 ways to open the game: lead rain or try to ruin stuff with scarf victini. either way you end by having the bulky hydra and maw left over to hopefully snatch a victory.

Ladies an gentlemen, I present to you...

MOISST

M (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Parental Bond
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch

O (Gengar) @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

I (Suicune) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 112 SpA / 24 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Snarl
- Tailwind

S (Ferrothorn) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

S (Talonflame) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Quick Guard
- Protect

T (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn

What goes well with gengar you say? Something that deals with dark types? Something that beats steels not named aegislash? Well it sounds like low kick kang is your man. They have great offensive synergy and compliment each other such that they cover a good majority of possibilities. From there I added on of my favorite FWG cores consisting of suciune / talon / ferro. Suicune and ferro act as great neutral switch ins and talon shaky checks so many things I couldnt count them all. Slap on a landorus and you've got yourself a well rounded squad.

Edit: I just realized you cant nick two mons the same thing, but whatever that's unimportant

Last edited:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I WANT TO BE ALIVE

WHEN I SEE YOUR EYES

hi. I started with the mon of the week gengar. I gave it sash cause that's like it's only viable item. The set is pretty standard with Icy Wind where some people would have Sludge Bomb because the speed control is needed. Next I add Darkrai lol. This is 3 attacks life orb Darkrai. It actually hits decently hard, but not as hard as I would like it to in some situations. This could probably be a Hydreigon. Next I add Mega Aerodactyl bc we're weak to Talonflame and sun so far. We're also weak to thund, and while this can be para'd, you can do hella damage to that. This is also a 3 attacks set, with Sky Drop and Aqua Tail. Next I add Sub Heatran because my Trick Room matchup is kind of bad and it also helps against sun and Talonflame. The standard set. Next, you can see how god awfully weak to Keldeo we are so I added Starmie, the hardest Keld check in the game. I would love to use Sash Starmie but it actually needs Life Orb to get the kill, fuck Keldeo. Next I add Shaymin. Shaymin provides another Keld check, Tailwind support, and IS CUTE AF.

This team is kind of weak to Rain and a well played Mega Kangaskhan but other than that it's actually not bad. I like it more than I did when I first built it tbh.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Icy Wind
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Sky Drop
- Aqua Tail
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Tailwind
- Protect

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Let's get to votin'! To vote, just post the name of the guy who built the team you're voting for!

Ray Majore
Derivatives
BlueSkiddoWeCanToo
n10sit

Deadline of voting is on Monday, GMT noon!

Last edited:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
im making this a tie goddamnit
BlueSkiddoWeCanToo

nah just kidding moisst is a disgusting name and hedgehog starmie maero is just not my cup of tea

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
With a huge lead, BlueSkiddoWeCanToo wins this week's round! Congrats!

Now it's time to get a bit more technical with next week's mon!

Gothitelle - Recognized as the "other" trapper, Gothitelle has a really notable niche in the metagame. Unlike Mega Gengar, its ability to trap Pokemon doesn't cost a Mega stone and its impact is already felt before turn 1, whereas Gengar has to Mega Evolve first before its trapping potential comes into play. Run wild!

Code:
<sprites>
[hide=Importable][/hide][hide=Description][/hide]
Nifty sprite converter: http://fulllifegamer.bplaced.net/format.php - Just put in your importable and you'll get sprites. I'd prefer it if you guys set it to "sprites" to save me some important seconds, and name the hide tags as "Importable" and "Description" thanks :)!

Deadline on Friday, GMT noon!

Last edited:

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
* You feel like you're going to have a bad time.

Dewgong trap. Gengar and Gothitelle are the Shadow Tag users, Dewgong and Gengar are the Perish Song users.

Here's how it works against the main threats to Perish Trap:
  • (Prankster) Taunt (shuts down Perish Song and Trick Room setting): Fake Out on Scrafty / Dewgong, Follow Me on Clefairy, Taunt on Whimsicott. Quick Guard on Scrafty for Pranksters.
  • Strong Targeted Damage: Follow Me on Clefairy. Disable / Encore on Gengar / Dewgong / Whimsicott.
  • Strong Spread Damage: Friend Guard on Clefairy. Disable / Encore on Gengar / Dewgong / Whimsicott.
  • Ghost-types: Gengar is EV'd to OHKO 252/4 Aegislash-Shield with a Helping Hand boost from Clefairy.
  • Hoopa-Unbound: Whimsicott can sometimes Encore it into Protect, especially if it's been threatened by Scrafty's Fake Out. Otherwise, Clefairy is usually the team's best bet, though preserving it is sometimes difficult.
  • U-turn and Volt Switch: Disable. Can be prevented on first use by switching into Scrafty's Eject Button; faster users can be rendered useless by Icy Wind + Disable (e.g. Choice Scarf Landorus-T).
  • Belly Drum Azumarill: Make sure not to set up Trick Room or you just lose. Can usually Encore these things into Belly Drum or Protect. If not, try to save Clefairy.
  • Anything in general: Encore / Disable is so good I can't even begin to describe it, plus the fact that it goes straight through Substitute sdbfjsdfksjdfblkjsbfasaaaa
  • Opposing Perish Song: Most Perish Song teams don't carry their own Prankster Taunt user, giving me a slight advantage here. Gengar is absolutely key in this matchup, since it can deal large chunks of damage with Shadow Ball (ie, my only way to KO opposing Gothitelle), and also switch out of trap. Gothitelle is cool too here, since it can put some damage into opposing Gengar.
Overall a really good team if you can play it well, though arguably I'm not at that stage yet. Probably requires some sort of further fine-tuning for a 6v6 Doubles environment, though I'm not keen on going down that path since it'll probably just lead to more people abusing me LOL.
Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
EVs: 216 HP / 24 Def / 32 SpA / 4 SpD / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Perish Song
- Disable
- Protect

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Dewgong @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Fake Out
- Disable
- Perish Song
- Protect

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Heal Pulse
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Protect

Scrafty @ Eject Button
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Quick Guard
- Detect

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

sandalphon (Politoed) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Scald

bardiel (Gothitelle) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Heal Pulse
- Protect

arael (Talonflame) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Protect

gaghiel (Kingdra) @ Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

matarael (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

israfel (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch
Gothitelle rainroom. Anyone who knows me knows that im a sucker for weather teams, and rain is no exception. Weather, coupled with trapping, lets the team methodically tear apart opposing weather teams by trapping their setter and bringing in your own. This works especially well against sun. Specs Politoed with Focus Blast lets it tear through big threats, notably Ferrothorn and Kangaskhan. Gothitelle sets trick room and also provides really nice utility with Heal Pulse, which is appreciated greatly by the two setup sweepers of the team, Talonflame and Kangaskhan. It also assists Ferrothorn in stalling out the opponent with leech seed, as Ferrothorn is really hard to take out with rain up. Kingdra is the "fast mode" of the team and is basically the local janitor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)