Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Week 69 - GAME OVER

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
After counting, recounting, and then asking qsns to count it for me because I think I'm on drugs, 3RROR404 and deoxys speed have the same number of votes at 6! However, since pastel's vote is counted double since she won a week from before, 3RROR404 wins the week! His team will be on the HoF post, his vote will count for double, and yeah.

Another week, another thing to build around with. It's time for some Tier 3 fun: bring in Salamence

Salamence, destroyer of worlds and best dragon imo. It's time to bring back some lovin' to this underused mon, which offers great coverage and Intimidate to teams willing to use it.

Deadline is on Saturday, noon GMT

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
melo didn't build hyper offense: the team
(aka the kate upton squad)

natalie dormer (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 244 HP / 68 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Overheat
- Solar Beam
- Protect

taylor swift (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 232 HP / 80 Def / 112 SpA / 80 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Snarl
- Protect
- Tailwind

im a plant (Venusaur) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

blood tears (Jirachi) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 80 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Thunder Wave

op (Salamence) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Return

cheerful (Clefable) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 124 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Moonblast
- Helping Hand
- Thunder Wave

this is actually a very fun team which is based on a simple fwg>sdf core but it's fun believe me (also this includes pokemon that were available in gen 3 only!!

i decided to kick off with charizard-y because he's one of the best pokemon in the meta currently and heat wave/overheat does so much damage in sun that its absolutely crazy however with our spread we will be a bit more bulky and this spread is completely courtesy of mizuhime, we'll trade off power for the ability to actually live shit.. its also a pretty good pokemon to build stand alone but we decided to pair up

with venusaur, obvious choice, best chlorophyll user which has okay damage output but isn't worthwhile outside of sun really, im pretty sure you could use a more efficient spread for venusaur in this case but I was too lazy to do calculations so I went 252/252/4

to finish off the fwg core I went with suicune which is probably not the best choice to use if you use this team in official games like tours or something w/e
went leftovers to make it live a little bit longer, i decided to go with a weird moveset without scald, but rather with snarl over it, it might be a weird decision but honestly we get walled by cress + aegislash and this does a better job at making them more specially weak, also tailwind support is really good

salamence is the boi we had to build around today and it's a really fun pokemon honestly, I got this idea from using the mega-salamence set to regular mence and because it obviuosly doesn't have the raw power that megamence has, i went with 252/252 to maximize damage output however, mainly because salamence is a little shit with no attack, it has difficult beating bulkier pokemon such as suicune and cresselia even at +2 so that sucks. I also decided to go earthquake to beat aegislash because we get walled by it

jirachi and clefable basically have the same job by using follow me and having great speed control

warning: this team probably gets walled by 500 things because I built this in like 5 minutes and played about 5 matches with it

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hoopa-Unbound @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 220 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot

Gourgeist-Super @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Disable

Escavalier @ Life Orb
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Drill Run
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 7 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Protect

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Hydro Pump

I'm not even going to try to explain any of these sets, but the team sometimes wins. Sub Heatran + Disable Gourgeist is a jizz-worthy combo, and mence + diancie is quite nifty as well. The escav is mostly there to bomb shit under tr as well as switch into slp moves. Also mence is vital for intimidate on this team specifically. It's sort of a bulky but not that bulky team which means you gotta get that -1.

The assvest Hoopa-U is because I can, and it's p legit against weather and also for those HO teams who think they can stall out my tr.

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
this team is good i swear

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 220 HP / 196 Atk / 92 SpA
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Focus Punch
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Stoutland @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Crunch
- After You
- Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 200 HP / 88 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Salamence @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Protect

first time entering this because the mon choice is fun :) this team is really weird but somehow works. i guess the surprise is ruined after posting it here but idrc. basically, the team is built around the combo of sand rush after you stoutland + ttar with a lot of coverage that i found in a nugget bridge team report. with this, ttar is able to get surprise kills on things like landorus-t and mega kangaskhan. sash on stoutland because the other items kind of suck ass and sand rush makes it so sash doesn't break n_n ttar was originally not a mega but i didnt have another mega on the team and didn't really want another one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

focus punch is pretty sick because as the author of the article said, "Raw Focus Punch in doubles is quite simple to play with since, for most scenarios, I either get a Focus Punch off or I would have be OHKO’d before I could attack anyways." superpower doesnt get the kill on bulkier kanga so its not a great option either.

rest of the teamslots were just filling in holes. the core is really breloom weak so i added goggles rotom-heat to check it. outspeeds loom, survives lando-t stone edge, the standard.

mence was added next because i wanted a switchin and way to beat rotom-wash, but i kind of wanted intimidate to help the longevity of the team. fighting resist for the sand core was also pretty neat. specs mence is a legend and a menace (252+ SpA Choice Specs Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Rotom-W: 282-333 (92.7 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO). it's one of my favorite underrated mons to use.

ferro was a "win condition" of sorts that worked well with mega ttar beating zardy one on one. you can use whatever item you want but i think the lum set is quite bad now because rotoms aren't running like 0 defense. the spdef avoids a 3hko from aegislash shadow ball after leftovers.

this slot was originally dd gyara but the team ended up bisharp weak sooo keldeos pretty cool too. i hate hydro but its nice for this team to be able to do more damage to aegislash so i guess i had to use it. dont need quick guard so i just picked taunt.

somehow, the team works even though it doesn't look fantastic on paper. it's got enough longevity and surprises to compete with any archetype right now. its also really fun to play with :)

Salamence @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Tailwind

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Protect

techsupportbreloom (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 116 SpA / 40 SpD
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Thunderbolt

Well not much to say about this, many classicals are in this team.

-Salamence is an intimidator with decent stats. I chose the special variant to not get worn out by other intimidators and not be affected by burns. draco still hits decently hard enough and fire-blast hits steels. i opted for a tailwind salamence since neither scarf/specs were my kind of thing. modest amplifies damage, and its decent speed can allow u to pick up tailwind in its dying turn, perhaps a positive sack if ur at -2 from draco and it served it's purpose/tw is needed.
-The thing that complemented this quite well that first came to mind was heatran. i chose it over aegi, my #2 choice, since i wanted to be actually able to deal with other heatrans, and generally steel types. it covers for it really well, eating ice and fairy well, and rock attacks neutrally, salamence can switch into eqs and get the intimidate, resists fighting too. so with such great synergy, i wanted to cluset an offensive synergy as well. to actually hit fairies, i have flash cannon and the rest is standard. bisharp migth trouble intimidate, so the evs outspeed it for sure, and outspeeds other 204 spe heatrans that outcreep the 200 speed evs set.
-Diancie is Dragon/steel/fairy core's last member, a great mega, and with steels taken care of found a solid place on the team. standard set so i wont go on
-getting tr weak, i wanted something that can help in that departement, and amongus started a F/W/G core, which is very solid. standard set, specially defensive to bop those hoopas and well because it's less expected, lives heatran heatwaves and spores back, and is generally solid from my personal experience.
-This spot was either keldeo/rotom-wash, but i ended opting for the electronical appliance since i wanted physical bulk to complement heatran, and since r-w switches a lot for amongus, i like to have them act as different wall to absorb all sorts of attacks. with will-o, R-W becomes devastating to penetrate. this ohkos diancies and lando, the smogon set really
-Finally, i saw this spot as a bit of a wildcard, so instead of putting thundurus-i , which was a nice addition to be honest along with speed control, i wanted to scare charizards just a bit more, deal solid with kanga and not risk facade twave, and a bit more offensive presence so i chose terrakion. this actually does the same thing as thundurus, dealing with sun, but sacrifices bulk and utility for offence, speed, and beating kanga and charizard-Y better, which i found useful. taunt is a very clever unseen tr/set up shutter coming from terrakion, and those are the best taunts from my experience (litteraly won me a match).

I hope you like it :)

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Disclaimer: I think Salamence is almost Dragonite, and the only viable set is the special one everybody already uses (and even that is bad). Keep this in mind while looking at this team.

So we start with salamence. I went with the standard mega set, except this is the shitty, stupid, smelly, etc., non mega. I give it enough speed to outspeed lando t at plus 1, max attack, and rest in hp. Also I gave it sitrus berry to keep it alive a little longer but you can give it LO if you want to.

Part two of the DD mence core is Jirachi, which is a follow me user that resists the things mence is weak to. This is the standard smogdex spread with t wave for that magic and speed control.

So I need a Hydreigon counter and I picked Azumarill. It can BD next to Jirachi which is cool and also provides me with a water type.

Here I add mega kang because it gives me a fake out user which is also good with mence and azu and it's a strong mon overall.

Here I add Thundurus for more speed control and for my all important taunt user.

Finally I add sub Heatran because it gives me a fire type with ground coverage, and adding another steel is fine because of how different the typings of Heatran and Jirachi are, plus I have 2 ground immunes.

Well that's it, I hope you enjoy it. I'm definitely not winning any awards for innovation, but oh well.

Worst Behavior (Salamence) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Star67 (Jirachi) @ Safety Goggles
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Follow Me
- Protect

Too Much (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Protect

You & The 6 (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Legend (Thundurus) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 64 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Energy (Heatran) @ Leftovers
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge

For Salamence, the mon to build around, I decided on Scarf for the immediate speed. Timid Nature allows it to outspeed Lando-T (this loses the chance to OHKO, but Modest is a roll anyways). Salamence is rarely seen, so its coverage moves can be used quite well to weaken or remove threats such as Aegislash and Heatran for Gardevoir.

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Careful Nature
- Follow Me
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Protect

Salamence and Jirachi? *Triggered* Not as powerful as with Mega Mence, Jirachi still pairs well with Salamence due to Follow Me and it's great type synergy with Mence. Serene Grace Iron Head helps immensely against TR, which the team is weak to.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 52 Def / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Gardevoir pairs very well Salamence, as Hyper Voice can puts foes into KO range of it's moves. It also pairs fantastically with Jirachi, but Focus Blast is used for this Reason so that they aren't free Heatran Sub fodder. Speed outspeeds Max Speed Positive nature Hoopa-U, with the rest in Defence to patch it up.

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Standard Sub Heatran, with some speed creeping on the benchmark for Scarf Lando-T when you are under Tailwind. Heatran helps against opposing Heatran, while STAB Fire type moves are always good for a team to have.

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 48 Def / 112 SpA / 80 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Snarl

Standard Tailwind Suicune, with Snarl to help against things like Kyu-B. The Speed EVs creep the same benchmark for Lando-T, but are one faster than Heatran in case Suicune can pick off a foe for Heat Wave to be a stronger hit on a single target.

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Protect

Broken, too good (maybe). STAB Flying Fake Out is great for flinching any threat. Shaymin helps the team against Rotom-W, and can stop TR going up.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Careful Nature
- Follow Me
- Trick Room
- Iron Head
- Protect

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 52 Def / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 48 Def / 112 SpA / 80 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Snarl

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Protect

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
d e a d l i n e

The deadline has passed! It's time to vote for the team of the week! Pick your vote among the following; To vote, just post in bold the name of the user who created the team you voted for.

Meloetta<3
Laga
qsns
Silverwhiteblue
n10sit
Yoda2798

Deadline is on Monday, noon GMT

note: voting for yourself is not ok

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)