Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Week 69 - GAME OVER

Nido-Rus

Though I would prefer taunt on Gengar over Wisp.
Cool point, that's actually a change I made myself after Megacyber thrashed me with his own Volc team (I think he's uploaded the replay of that and my decision to change to taunt). I better change that on the team, thanks for catching that. :D

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
After counting and recounting, Nido-Rus takes the week! You'll get the usual of your team being on the HoF post and your vote counting double.

On another note, isn't it a miracle that this lasted for up to two months? Let's pat ourselves on the back there, and hopefully this gets to month #3 wooo :)

This week, we're doing the mon in need of a good saving: DARKRAI

It's a cool dank mon. Fast Dark-type that can do cool things like burn stuff with Will-O-Wisp and KO things. It used to be stuck in DNU, but now it's DUU yay! so we should celebrate that with a teambuild with it woo. It's also one of my fave mons :)

Deadline is on Saturday, noon GMT+1

Digital Sound

I COULD BE BANNED!
how does one simply, build a darkrai team.

EDIT: Just kidding kek, and I might give this a shot though because I never build a Darkrai team before and I want to try at least.

Last edited:

P is For Penguin

formerly MainEvent

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Protect

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Overheat
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Protect

So this is a team i built fairly recently, about 1-2 days into suspect and it has darkrai so i thought ill just upload it. Originally i had built this team for a friend but a few people have asked me for a team since then, and this has turned into the default team i give out. I started out w/ scarf lando-t + support gyarados combo because i fell like this duo is pretty strong in the current meta. From this point i realized that if this team was going to be successful it would need a strong special attacker and a way to deal with keldeo and dragons, so decided to go with specs sylveon. Next i realized that i needed a solid answer to steel types + amoongus so thats where i decided on the mega i would be using for this team, Megazard-Y would add the ability to reliably deal with steels + amoongus. At this point i realized my team could be extremely susceptible to spread moves especially rock slide so i added wide guard aegislash to deal with spread moves and provide a reliable fairy check. Lastly i went with darkrai for a few reasons, the first being it is an extremely powerful special attacker with a good speed tier. The second being type synergy this team did not yet have a dark type or any dark attacking moves, and the team is not extremely weak to fight/fairy spam so darkrai seemed like a good fit. I originally had wisp over focus blast on darkrai, but i changed this as to have better means of dealing with heatran.

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
here's my mega altaria team ft. darkrai - DDeez Nuts

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 176 HP / 180 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Double-Edge
- Protect

Darkrai @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power Steel
- Protect

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 80 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Protect

EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

Rotom-Heat @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Protect

This team was built around Mega Altaria and Darkrai, two mons with great offensive synergy. Altaria's set is a Dragon Dance variant that OHKOs Mega Kangaskhan with +1 Double Edge. I feel it's an unexplored mon that has the potential to work well in the metagame. Darkrai beats Aegislash and dents Heatran, two of the best Fairy resists in the tier right now. As stupid as it seems, this team doesn't love taking on Diancie so HP steel is a valid choice >_>

Jirachi is a redirector with amazing synergy w/ Altaria, resisting its fairy, poison, and steel weaknesses. Sitrus b/c I don't need Goggles on the team, standard spread. It helps Altaria set up and provides much needed speed control (Icy Wind so it can hit lando)

Landorus-T is a standard af mon used to check Charizard Y and give Altaria set up opportunities thanks to Intimidate. It's an ok kanga switchin which is cool too. I really really needed stone edge on this team because Landorus needs to kill Chary and can't risk a Wide Guard user bodying the team.

Rotom-Heat is an Amoonguss switchin, a levitator to EQ besides, and a Sun check. I don't really need the offensive presence as much as it to check stuff and be alive, so I went with a more defensive spread than the standard one.

Finally, Virizion was added as an easy way to kill Kanga and another switchin to Spore. I've been liking this musketeer quite a bit recently because it has a really cool typing that naturally beats Kanga + amoong. Stone Edge to kill Zardy and I don't really need the other support moves.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Alright this team has a few oddballs but I promise it makes sense. Here's my Mega Pinsir team!

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
- Taunt
- Ice Beam

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Feint
- Protect
- Return
- Swords Dance / Close Combat

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 96 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Adamant
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Protect

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower / Explosion

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 6 Spe
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon

I started with Darkrai, because that was what we needed to build with. EVs outspeed Raikou, forfeiting the rest of it for a little bit of bulk. Set's pretty standard, and fits what the team needed.

Mega Pinsir isn't very viable, but I wanted to make it work and it takes care of fighting types really well for Darkrai. Feint is really nice utility and also priority, which helps out Pinsir's unfortunate 105 speed tier that misses out on the 110s. Swords Dance is a strange pick but I have Follow Me support from Jirachi and Wide Guard from Aegis to aid set up. And at +2, it usually OHKO's Keldeo with Feint (+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 320-378 (97.2 - 114.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO). Quick Attack hits a little bit harder, but breaking Protect and Wide Guard for Lando-T was too nice for me to give up. Close Combat is for if you aren't real enough, and does decent damage to Kang, although it doesn't even OHKO. EVs outspeed base 101s, which is important for Pinsir because that is Thundurus-T and Landorus-I, both of whom can KO. Rest is in HP for as great of a chance to set up as possible.

Jirachi aids Mega Pinsir's set up and provides incredible utility. Helping Hand because Pinsir needs help. Safeguard is also an option, but not my preference. EVs are what I always use, it outspeeds base 70s and lives something that I can't remember.

Breloom helps out with the bulky water types that the first three can't touch, and also provides sleep to give the rest of the team free turns. Set is standard. Sash makes it an emergency button, especially with the ability to sleep or hit with priority.

Scarf Lando-T is just good and was added for Intimidate support as well as a Char-Y check, who absolutely destroyed me before. Previous version of the team had Explosion over Superpower, and I recommend this if you use Close Combat on Pinsir, since the team doesn't need three fighting-type moves and it's fun to go boom.

Aegislash was added for additional help against Charizard-Y and protects Pinsir from Heat Waves and Rock Slides, both of which take him out. Otherwise set is pretty standard, but it has 6 Speed EVs to outspeed 0 Speed Rhyperior.

innovamania

WEESNAWW
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Protect

EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 116 SpA / 40 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Flash Cannon

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 44 SpA / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Psyshock
- Protect

So I was really bored and decided I'd build for this since I actually like building teams more then playing. So the team is pretty standard but it's still effective. So the first pokemon I added was darkrai since its what we needed to build around. I pretty much went with the standard set because theirs not much else it can do. It gets some neat options like wisp and taunt , and modest darkrai can ko keldeo with thunderbolt. But honestly I think the standar sets fits this team better. Next mon I added was scarf ladno-t. Darkrai is weak to fighting, lando is one of the best fighting checks an it gives me intimidate. At this stage I had to decide if i wanted t go hyper offensive or balanced and in the end I decided darkrai would thrive more on balance. So with that in mind I added rotom-wash + safety goggles heatran. It's a strong core that synergises rlly nicely with each other. The next mon I needed was a mega and I went with kangaskhan because no other mega fit on the team better. The last mon was bassically a glue. I wanted another check to fighting, speed control, and another levitater for lano to spam eq easier. So I went with cresselia. It's does all that + helping hand to boost darkrai lando and kangaskhans attack. the team is pretty decent imo. it's rlly weak to rain teams and honestly twave might be worth it on cress over icy wind to permanently cripple swift swim sweepers. it's also pretty weak to kyurem-black but it can be played around. Anyways, thats pretty much the team. feel free to try it out.

Darkrai @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- Protect

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Protect

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Trick Room
- Psychic

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 182 Def / 74 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect

- The team is kinda basic, and mainly suited for an agressive balanced kinda playstyle. Darkrai was our pokemon of the week. It's set cripples physical attackers , even the fast ones, dark pulse is for stab, and psychic hits keldeo, fighting types and hits amongus with a 2HKo which is quite useful.

- I added talonflame next becuz I was aiming at ho considering darkrai as to be in the team, talonflame helps in trickroom while keeping my team fast. It's also my unusual diancie answer, with steelwing (even if i was beaten to the idea) since a diancie is incredibly tempted to stay on darkrai + talonflame, they wont see the lure comin. Rest is quite standard.

- I wanted a mega by this point, preferably a fast one to suit my ho needs, and I was lacking on spread moves, which is why diancie fit quite well. It did open a few holes like bulky waters, heatran, etc but i still had slots to prevent that. Diancie appreciates talon's fire typing to defeat steels and flying typing to beat grass (keldeo as well).

- being quite heatran weak, Keldeo fit this ho quite nicely, softchecking lando as well, which threatened my team quite a lot. it helps vs other steel types such as bisharp as well, and hydro 2hkos aegislash. taunt is to prevent trick room and shenanigans, but if problems with bunnies appear, roar is a new and good alternative from what I heard

-Rotom-wash was getting a little annoying, and taunt keldo wasnt really enough for stoping trick room. I shifted to balance to fix this by adding cresselia. This gives me an emergency switch in when i want to preserve something, helps with the trick room problem, and cm cress was forgotten due to the hoopa addition (which i have talon, keldeo and diancie for). A spore switch in with goggles

-Completing my F/W/G and hard checking R-W , I chose this over shaymin-sky becuz it migth get banned. If it isnt, it might be used instead. Meanwhile , Amongus is a spore switch in, a r-w check, your beloved redirector and a good trick room agent, which i'd say earned amongus a good spot

Venusaur @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Overheat
- Protect

Darkrai @ Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Snarl
- Protect

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Gyarados @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Started with Charizard and Venusaur because why not.
+

Then I added Darkrai because who doesn't like Chlorophyll Sleep Powders+Bad Dreams? I felt it would actually make a Venusaur+Charizard team a bit more balanced. I remembered one time when trains or somebody did "!ds snarl,!nfe,!lc" in the chat, and I noticed Darkrai got it. It definitely sounded like a great idea to slow down such a hyper offensive archetype. If I got the opportunity, however, I could even set up a Nasty Plot and take care of a shit ton of stuff, which prevented Darkrai from just being considered a fast Snarl user with Bad Dreams.
+
+

I then thought of adding Conkeldurr because of something kamikaze had said in the chat about it being surprisingly good in VGC as well as DOU lately, and it looked like something I could try. It turns out Conkeldurr+Assault Vest+Snarl has fantastic bulk and it's an incredibly hard hitter, dealing with Bisharp, Kangaskhan, and opposing Landorus-T and Charizard Y, so long as I correctly predicted when they would switch in. There were a few problems I remembered with Assault Vest Conkeldurr in the past in that it was seemingly easy to play around, but I decided to try it anyway. The risk of making a prediction with Conkeldurr, however, is definitely worth the rewards you could get.
+
+
+

Then, finally, I decided I would add some things I needed. I definitely needed something to get rid of those goddamn Mega Diancie, and I thought "maybe adding an Intimidate user would be nice". That was a bad thought. I did not need an Intimidate user, I needed two. One would be a slow, bulky Pokemon that could stay on the field for multiple turns and provide Thunder Wave support for the team, while the other would be something that would be able to quickly get in, kill, and get out. The two most obvious choices were Gyarados and Landorus-T. Adding Gyarados as an Intimidate user also helped Landorus-T, as I got another thing to EQ with.
+
+
+
+
+

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll put in a description for how to use the team tomorrow I'm tired it's late.
So basically, this started as a hyper offensive sun team ft Darkrai, but as soon as I realized Darkrai got Snarl I changed paths and went for a bulky offense sun team :B. There are tons of routes that this team can take - one being the offensive side of Charizard+Venusaur demolition in sun, while the other is a more defensive side: Darkrai with Snarl as well as Dark Pulse to deal actual damage, Venusaur with Sleep Powder and useful poison coverage to beat fairies, and Conkeldurr being a high risk high reward Assault Vest attacker. Mispredictions against a Conkeldurr can be detrimental and few things are really safe (to list a few, Gyarados, Gardevoir, and Cresselia are completely safe against this variant, however they have difficulties with either Charizard, Landorus-T, or in the case of Gardevoir switching in after the Darkrai is set up, all of them lose to a Nasty Plot Darkrai, which is a really nice tech that I like). Gyarados also slows the team down a LOT, with Thunder Wave and Taunt access making it very useful against a team which may rely heavily on Tailwind or Trick Room. Landorus-T is hands down one of the best Pokemon in DOU and on a Sun team he gets rid of major threats while removing the base of utility of the team by making it a bit more offensive. It does, however, provide a second Intimidate, which is fantastic against all physical attackers except Bisharp @_@. There are a few things that the team definitely may seem to have trouble with, but there are lots of things that can handle them. Threatlist starts below.

Bisharp is undoubtedly difficult for this team to defeat. It switches into Darkrai's Snarl, it gets boosted by Intimidate from Landorus-T and Gyarados, and lots of things on my team have lacking defenses that can easily be taken advantage of by a Sucker Punch. At the same time, I can deal with Bisharp in multiple ways.
+0: I'd really just kill it with Charizard if it isn't in Sucker Punch KO range, or put it to sleep with Venusaur if I have to. Another way I can deal with it since they are almost entirely Life Orb is by Thunder Waving with Gyarados and switching in Conkeldurr, and then pressuring him into switching to preserve it since I have 2 Intimidate users. It also can't touch Conkeldurr or Darkrai at +0 which is nice.
+1: I could do what I suggested last time with Thunder Waving with Gyarados and then Mach Punching with Conkeldurr, or I have to make very, very good predictions to get past Bisharp at +1.
+2 (if i'm bad enough): I'd have to make highly accurate predictions about his plays, or just click x. I think clicking x is easier and more efficient.

Mama bear (it's a kangaroo but what the hell is a mama kangaroo) seemingly gives my team small issues, but I can definitely beat her. Overheat from Charizard is an OHKO on almost everything and she is no exception. Venusaur has Chlorophyll Sleep Powder which is really nice because it outspeeds Kangaskhan and avoids her Sucker Punch. Conkeldurr has priority in Mach Punch as well as a strong healing STAB in Drain Punch to delete all bears everywhere (you have been warned hashtag) which is really nice. Also the double Intimidate is very good against a Kangaskhan and I don't know why it wouldn't be...

But aside from Bisharp+Kangaskhan double Intimidate is nice.

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
sorry for not updating, irl things :[

The deadline has passed! It's time to vote for the team of the week! Pick your vote among the following; To vote, just post in name of the user who created the team you voted for.

MainEvent
qsns
thetalkingtree
innovamania
Silverwhiteblue
It Is Guest

Deadline is on Monday, noon GMT+1

note: voting for yourself is not ok. also no sprites in your description pls it takes ages to c/p ;_;

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
qsns

was gonna vote for Guest until I saw his spreads. qsns just has the coolest team overall this week imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)