Double Dragon! [A CAP RMT]

Double Dragon:
An (Almost) CAPless CAP team​

Introduction:
Well, this is ssbbm, and I've been a CAP regular for the past year. This is my first RMT, and this is my most successful team, giving me both #1 and #2 on the ladder on the alts SSBBM3 and A STALL TEAM. I'm creating this RMT as a response to the many people who think that CAPs are broken, because this team shows that a team does not need CAPs to be good.

Playstyle:
This team is built around the concept of getting a CB Dragonite/Flygon sweep. I do this by using Magnezone to eliminate any Steels, and Tyranitar to eliminate Cresselia (The original version of the team was actually built at the time period of Campfire Kaboom, when Cresselia was very common.) To help Dragonite sweep, I used Starmie to spin away Stealth Rock, which really hurts CB Nite due to the amount of switches it usually has. This team seems very weak to set-up sweepers, but this team functions like a HO team - they will usually never find a chance to set-up without getting into KO range from Dragonite's Extremespeed, due to the strength of each of my Pokemon's attacks.

At a Glance:

Now a look at the team:

THE LEAD:

Syclant (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compoundeyes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
-Spikes
-Megahorn
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake

In CAP, Syclant is THE suicide lead of choice. He easily sets up at least one set of Spikes (usually two), while badly damaging the opponent's lead. I chose Syclant as my lead because he gives me offensive momentum from the beginning, and lays down Spikes, which really let my Flygon and Dragonite sweep.
This moveset is slightly unorthodox, so let me give you the reasonings behind my changes:

Adamant over Jolly: I see very few lead Pokemon outside of Pyroak, Metagross, and RS Soil, so I do not need the extra speed points. Also, I defeat opposing lead Syclant anyway, with a combination of Megahorn + Ice Shard.

Earthquake: This move was put primarily to deal with Metagross, who is a real annoyance to my team. What I usually do is EQ turn one, doing around 47% to it as it lays a layer of rocks up, lay a layer of Spikes turn two as it uses Bullet Punch, then use Ice Shard turn three, bringing it into KO range for my Magnezone's T-Bolt.

Considered Changes
I don't have any other leads that I think can take this position, but I feel that this is the weakest link of my team, so any proposed changes are welcome! :)

THE TRAPPERS:

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability:Sand Stream
EVs: 160 HP/252 Atk/ 96 Speed
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

Tyranitar is, in my opinion, the best trapper possible. This is very useful when dealing with stall, as when he traps Blissey, Starmie can come in and blow holes in the opponent's team. It also my team to overcome Cresselia's, who basically wall the rest of my team. He also works as a pseudo special wall, as he can come in on most special attackers, live through a SE attack, and KO them, which is very useful, seeing as the rest of my team dies to special sweepers. He is the glue of my team, and the reason it doesn't fall apart to threats like Krilowatt or Stratagem.

Considered Changes:
I think I need to try a bulkier spread, because he really holds my team together. (I didn't know that standard CBTar carried 160 HP EVs.)

Magnezone (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability:Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid nature (+Speed, -Atk)
-Thunderbolt
-Explosion
-Hidden Power Ground
-Flash Cannon

Magnezone, for me, only has one purpose - to kill Skarmory. He does this admirably (unless they're running Shed Shell, but w/e, it's only used 20% of the time anyway). After opposing Steel types are dead, my dragons have an almost unhindered sweep, as nothing will resist their Outrages, meaning they will usually be OHKO-2HKOed. He also can act as a revenge killer to Syclant, who otherwise completely destroys my team. He also has great synergy with Dragonite, as they resist all of the 17 types, which allows me many free switch-ins.

Considered Changes:
Magnezone has been working admirably for me, and I feel no need to change anything about him.

THE SPINNER:

Starmie(M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid nature (+Speed, -Atk)
-Thunderbolt
-Surf
-Psychic
-Rapid Spin
Starmie is probably the spinner with the most offensive presence in CAP, as the alternative, RS Soil is actually not that threatening. Starmie can, with Spikes support, take down a lot of Pokemon on offensive teams that are lacking Pokemon that are faster than Base 115. STAB Psychic is also very useful in CAP, as it allows Starmie to take down Revanankh and Arghonaut, and Arghonaut is a general pain for me, if it happens to be a SubPunch version.

Considered Changes:
I have considered using Hydro Pump over Surf, although the misses really suck sometimes. Also, I have actually considered using Recover over Rapid Spin, because Starmie seems to die too quickly.

THE DRAGONS:

Flygon(M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-U-Turn
Flygon is usually my first Dragon I send out, and he works very well in drawing out and weakening the opponent's Dragon counters. He works very well at this due to his SR resistance, which allows him to switch numerous times to weaken the opponent's team. I chose CBGon over ScarfGon, because CB Outrage does a ton of damage to anything that doesn't resist it (and even to some things that do), while Scarf Outrage allows easy set-up, which is really bad for my team.

Considered Changes:
None, Flygon is one of the most important members of my team.

Dragonite(M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch
-Extremespeed
Dragonite is usually revealed late game, when he can sweep through an opponent's team with Outrage. However, he also acts as a revenge killer for weakened opponents, as CB Extremespeed can usually KO them. Earthquake and Fire Punch are actually just filler moves, because 90% of the time, I will be spamming Extremespeed or Outrage.

Considered Changes:
None. Dragonite is probably my MVP, actually.

Problem Pokemon:
-Agility Lucario will sweep my team if it can set-up on TTar, which it probably can, but I haven't really seen any Lucario.

N/A- TR Cyclohm will also probably sweep through my team, but I think I'm the only one who uses it. Regular Specs Cyclohm is annoying, as I have no good switch-in to a Draco Meteor, but I kill it after sacrificing a Pokemon, usually.

N/A- SubPunch Arghonaut is a real pain for this team. If it sets up a sub on Tyranitar, then one of my Pokemon will have to be sacrificed to break the sub.

Fuck. You have a Tyranitar JUST to kill Cressy?

Why are you DOING this to me...

This team is built around the concept of getting a CB Dragonite/Flygon sweep. I do this by using Magnezone to eliminate any STEELS, and Tyranitar to eliminate Cresselia (The original version of the team was actually built at the time period of Campfire Kaboom, when Cresselia was very common.) To help Dragonite sweep, I used Starmie to spin away Stealth Rock, which really hurts CB Nite due to the amount of switches it usually has. This team seems very weak to set-up sweepers, but this team functions like a HO team - they will usually never find a chance to set-up without getting into KO range from Dragonite's Extremespeed, due to the strength of each of my Pokemon's attacks.
Agility Luca...oh.

On paper, this team seems weak to Machamp. It can set up a sub on Tyranitar and OHKO something on your team for free.

Also, d'you have Revenankh troubles? It looks like it can set up a Bulk Up on Magnezone and rape your team with the standard Hammer Arm/Shadow Sneak.

Thing is, I have no idea how to fix that without ruining this team's (amazing) synergy (as a sub-par CAPer). Props!

Now, erase this team before people catch on and run Tyranitar>Colossoil.

EDIT: Also, use Naive Magnezone.

EDIT 2: SubCharge Magnezone sets up on your Magnezone and eats this team at +6.

Also, d'you have Revenankh troubles? It looks like it can set up a Bulk Up on Magnezone and rape your team with the standard Hammer Arm/Shadow Sneak.
My Starmie isn't KOed by a +1 Shadow Sneak, so I usually Psychic it then switch to Dragonite/Flygon and Outrage it. Or, I can just make Nite Outrage on it, cause it does barely any damage to me w/ any normal attacks. And, I haven't seen SubCharge Magnezone at all, but yeah, I'd probably lose to it if I did see it.

Congratulations on getting the top spot. Not to downplay your success, but this team has a lot of very common weaknesses, so hopefully my suggestions will help a bit. Also, I really love that other players are taking on the ideas set forth by XVII. Stealth Rock really isn't as necessary as Spikes in the current metagame! :)

Your team is actually ravaged by All-Out Attacker Stratagem. It OHKOes Magnezone, Dragonite, Starmie, Syclant, does >80% to Tyranitar, and does >80% to Flygon. It can get in on a revenge and basically eat you alive. You have nothing that can switch into any of its attacks (even resisted) because it outspeeds and will 2HKO anything on your team with any attack combination. Choice Band ES from Dragonite won't even revenge kill it unless Stratagem has taken ~50% prior damage. There's no way to fix this without ditching a Pokemon for Revenankh or Blissey, though, which would mess up the very core of your team too significantly.

You're also seriously weak to Mixed Krilowatt who run Waterfall over Surf. Tyranitar is cleanly 2HKOed by any of the move combinations, as is Magnezone (since EQ is common). Additionally, Krilowatt outspeeds and OHKOes both of your dragons and can OHKO Starmie while taking a Thunderbolt for ~50% damage in return. Add into this that it runs LO and Magic Guard to avoid your Spikes and it will pretty much shred your team to bits and pieces. HPGround Magnezone doesn't even help here, since Thunderbolt hits harder anyway.

Run Choice Scarf Flygon.

• Scares off and can revenge KO AOAttacker Stratagem
  • Can hit and massively damage Krilowatt before it destroys your team
  • Also helps by beating Agility Lucario, if you ever run into it
  • Dragonite is your powerhouse, so Flygon should do what Flygon does best: U-turn scout, the added Speed helps a lot here
Also, some small notes:

• Run Naive Magnezone
    • No sense reducing Explosion's damage
  • Run Recover over Rapid Spin on Starmie
    • Dragonite isn't switching in a lot and Syclant suicides. This lets your Starmie switch into SubPunch Arghonaut with more reliability and then Recover when it switches out after losing its Substitute.
  • Run the standard CBTar spread
    • Tyranitar that slow need the bulk. Just follow what the analysis says, it's a good spread. Try: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Other than that, the team looks pretty good. Good luck with it!

Thanks for the rate, Rising Dusk. Yeah, Krilowatt really messes this team up, which really sucks, but then again, I see so few Mixwatt, (or Krilowatt for that matter) that I haven't really run into that problem. When I do see Mixwatt, I try to kill it with Tyranitar's EQ, which KOs, but I have to sac a Pokemon to defeat it (usually Magnezone), but after my Magnezone kills the opponent's steels, he just becomes death fodder that can explode. Strata is a really big problem, but it usually comes in to revenge an Outrage locked Dragonite, at which point I can revenge it with Tyranitar. But if Tyranitar and Flygon are at around 50%, then yeah, it's pretty much good game. I don't really want to run Scarf Flygon, (I find the power too underwhelming, as Outrage spamming late-game if Dragonite died can usually win me the game), but I think I will run Recover, and run standard CBTar. Thanks for the changes!

ssbbm said:
Thanks for the rate, Rising Dusk. Yeah, Krilowatt really messes this team up, which really sucks, but then again, I see so few Mixwatt, (or Krilowatt for that matter) that I haven't really run into that problem.
I think the biggest contribution to this is that there are very few exceptional players that even play with serious teams on the ladder anymore. Most of it is either Brokenoak abuse or gimmicks to get some laughs. I know that when I played the ladder seriously (before giving it up until revisions go through), both MixWatt and AOA Stratagem were very common on my teams.

Anyway, glad to have helped.

fire punch is better on flygon than fire blast if you're using choice band. it hits everything except very physically defensive skarmory (and heatran) harder and with better accuracy. a jolly nature is worth a look.

you have a pretty serious hippowdon problem; starmie is pretty much your only hope of beating it and hippowdon can easily rip 50% off on the switch with earthquake. running recover on starmie would help with that. swampert and arghonaut could similarly cause problems, but at least arghonaut can't seriously damage starmie and is weak to thunderbolt. swampert can be worn down by outrage spam.

i don't really believe you have a problem with sub charge magnezone. even if it gets +6 special attack, flygon or even starmie can revenge kill it. if its health is low enough for salac to be activated, you can ko with extremespeed.

i'd run starmie with recover/rest and leftovers (optional) considering you're using a suicide lead and the rest of the team is choiced you might want something that can hang around a while.

I would of thought a life orb colossiol with RS, crunch, earthquake and selfdestruct would be prefect unless it ruins your teams typing.

I agree that Starmie should be using Recover. This helps when using a Rapid Spin set. I would drop Thunderbolt for it. And Hydro Pump's accuracy isn't that much of a problem. Since you have the Life Orb, might as well be making use of the extra power.

And ScarfGon is superior to BandGon. Nite already fills the Band Role,so Flygon should be picking off those who outrun Nite.

how do you counter a choice band colossoil?

tyranitar and magnezone gets killed by earthquake
everything else goes down after a suckerpunch

Band Flygon as a counter to Collossoil?
Please, tell me what a Colossoil can do to a Flygon? In most instances, it will be scarfed, LOed, or RS Soil. If it is LO, then it will probably have Sucker Punch and Pursuit instead of Crunch - this means, that, no matter what, it will be unable to hit me on the switch-in, except by using Selfdestruct. Therefore, I will be able to U-turn out of it (LO Sucker Punch doesn't KO), and switch to Magnezone, at which point I will KO with Flash Cannon. If i have Spikes down, then Band U-Turn KOes by itself. If it is RS Soil, it will not be able to 2HKO me on the switch without Payback, meaning I will be able to 2HKO it using Outrage. Finally, ScarfSoil will HAVE to use EQ on TTar, meaning I still win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)