Doubles Community Create-a-Team (Fourth Member Submission)

Approved by that guy who was once known as Pwnemon

Hello Doubles. What is the hardest part of getting into any new tier? In my oppinion, it's teambuilding. The issue with learning how to make good teams is that you don't know what threats there are in the tier, you don't know what's good, and you especially won't know the mindset and thought process that a truly skilled team builder has when building their best teams. How do we solve that then? How about we, the entire doubles community, build one collective team. We submit good cores in the meta, and we build up the core up with strong pokemon while explaining why we should add that pokemon to the team. I'm thinking that we could use a schedule that looks kinda like this:
  1. Monday: we discuss the metagame and get a general idea of what should get added to the team. When we're in this stage, keep the discussion broad, like "we need a bulky water type" or "we need a Heatran counter," not "we need a Rotom Wash" or "We need a Landorous-T."
  2. Tuesday through Thursday: Submit pokemon with sets that you think would supplement the current team nicely. Anyone can submit sets that are PS! importable with sprites. If you've already gotten 2 pokemon into the team, please still contribute to the discussion and still vote, but don't submit any more sets. Let other people get there ideas into the team. This is the community create a team, not the one person make a team. Make a good case for your submission, don't just give a set. The point of this thread is to give newer players an idea on how you build teams, so if you explain well why you picked that set, then your helping a lot of people out.
  3. Friday: More discussion in light of the sets that were submitted. Do the ideas help the team, what opportunity cost is there with using pokemon A over pokemon B? Suggest changes to the sets to improve them, such as a better ev spread or a change in moves.
  4. Saturday and Sunday: Vote. Use the format "Qazoo306's Substitute Heatran". Don't just say Heatran. What if more than one is submitted?
  5. Loop back to set one until the team is finished.
For this first team, let's keep it standard and easy to play. There are no added restrictions to the team. If this goes well, prehaps our next team can be build with some sort of challenge in mind.

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Encore
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Protect

Last edited by a moderator:
Week One: Core Submissions

For this week, just submit a single pokemon to build around. 2 mon cores are acceptable if the two Pokemon complement each other very well. Submissions require full sets by the end of the submission period, though not necessarily right off the bat.

Edit: .25K post!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 224 Atk / 132 SpD / 152 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 80 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Id like to see a team around trying to sweep with altaria. My post in the cores thread says what this does.

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
GiraGoomy i got u bud

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Encore
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Protect

hi this core is aids but i dont care <3 this core won the first regionals in europe and i want to see how it fares in smogdubs. might be complete trash but hey at least we'll get a few ragequits =]

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect
- Substitute

Substitute is a cool way to get around burns and Intimidate switch ins for Metagross. It also let's Metagross set up against Sucker Punch users like Kangaskhan and probably Bisharp. It's a cool moveset I've been using for awhile and I wanna see what other people can make with it :] Metagross is also pretty easy to build around which is good for a CCAT.

edit: Pwnerood :[
EDIT: WOW NEVERMIND I FOUND AN AWESOMER CORE.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Protect / Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 84 SpA / 120 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

So alright, I found this much cooler core a few minutes ago and I'm editing this. Scizor literally beats all the megas that the cool kids are using. Not only that but when weakened it's ez game ez lyfe if you can get an SD boost and BP things until they're, you have awesome bulk which is awesome. EVs outspeed 12 Spe Rotom-w by one point so you can eat the sitrus and hope they miss Willo, max attack and the rest goes into bulk. Rotom-W perfectly compliments Scizor, not only do they have insane typing coverage together but Rotom-W ALSO beats all the cool megas which is nice. Rotom-W kills Lando-T, Heatran, burns Kanga and can destroy Keldeo if played correctly. Stole the spread from KyleCole's channel, go check it out.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Tailwind

Shaymin-Sky @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power

What better way to make things die than to stack two ridiculously powerful Life Orb attackers?

They cover each other's weaknesses to some extent (Skymin beats some Heatran, Latios beats some other Fires, Latios beats Dragons) and have similar checks/counters to account for when teambuilding.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew

Excadrill @ Life Orb (or sash lel)
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Shuca Berry (or chople if you want)
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Protect

Yeah so Exca kills everything and then TTar spam protect or Ice Beam if you think Landoge is coming. Kinda self explanatory Exca gets fast in Sand and TTar provides sand. Also I guess TTar is slow enough to outslow certain mons in TR if they somehow use that, decent TR check. Spread move spam is good. Also kinda easy to teambuild around just make sure you don't get 6-0'd by Rain lel (and don't die to loom)

Alright guys, it's voting time. Here are the candidates (in order of submission)
  • AuraRayquaza's Dragon Dance Mega-Altaria + Support Jirachi
  • QSNS's Support Liepard + Breloom
  • KyleCole's Substitute Mega-Metagross
  • Roxer's Mega-Scizor + Rotom-W
  • U's Offensive Latios + Skymin
  • Blinkey's Sand Rush Excadrill + Bulky Tyranatar
Just copy / paste whichever one you think is the best and the most fun to build around. Only vote for one please. If you have any reasons for voting one way or the other, go ahead and say them. Perhaps you can persuade someone else?

I vote for AuraRayquaza's Dragon Dance Mega-Altaria + Support Jirachi. Mega Altaria has been a fascinating Pokemon to me, and I would definitely love to see a good team built around this cloud dragon.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
QSNS's Support Liepard + Breloom

It would be really fun to build around some cancer like this...

• AuraRayquaza's Dragon Dance Mega-Altaria + Support Jirachi
the guy probably already has 5 teams around it but lets give it a shot imo :]

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
AuraRayquaza's Dragon Dance Mega-Altaria + Support Jirachi

I've never seen Altaria do well ever so I'm curious
also fuck Liepard

Alright, the winner for the first round is QSNS's Support Liepard + Breloom. Today, just look for and discuss the pros and cons of the core and figure out what it needs to become a good team of six. As stated in the OP, keep the discussion broad, so don't say that this team needs Landerous-T, just say this team needs an offensive ground type, or an intimidator.

Alright, the winner for the first round is QSNS's Support Liepard + Breloom. Today, just look for and discuss the pros and cons of the core and figure out what it needs to become a good team of six. As stated in the OP, keep the discussion broad, so don't say that this team needs Landerous-T, just say this team needs an offensive ground type, or an intimidator.
I can't believe cancer won this.
Btw team needs reliable TFlame and Tranner check that can also deal with Fighting types or something.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The entire point of a core like this is to cause as much disruption as possible and to cripple opposing cores. It's important to stack some offensive threats to really capitalise off the disruption caused as well as answers to common bulky walls like Amoonguss who don't really care about Swagger or sleep. In addition to this, there are Pokemon - like Mega Kangaskhan - which ideally you do not want to be hitting with a Swagger which also beat Breloom, even past its Focus Sash. A solid answer to these strong physical attackers is mandatory to avoid running the risk of them receiving a boost and then managing to break out of confusion early.

One route it may be wise to go down is semi-TR. Whilst it may seem counter productive initially, I think it could be quite effective with the support factor of the first two Pokemon added in. They can be used to help handle standard TR checks early on by crippling them with status which would allow some heavy hitters to come in and clean up later. TR also provides a panic button for if a powerful physical attacker is boosted and snaps out of confusion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)