Doubles OU Player of the Week #41 - Stax

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader

Interviewee #25 - Nido-Rus
1. Who are you and could you give a little introduction of yourself?
Hi, I'm Nido-Rus, a high-school sophomore living in Maryland.

2. Where did your username come from and why have you stuck with it?
This was actually a username I started using once I joined PS. I took two of the pokemon that I was interested in when I started playing on showdown and decided to make a username from it. Of course, I also tried to get the best possible shade of blue. u_u

3. When did you start playing competitive Pokémon, when did you start playing competitive Doubles, and why did you stick around?
I started competitive pokemon with VGC around mid-2013 after seeing the 2013 US Nationals. When the 2014 ruleset was announced, I lost interest, with several of the Pokemon I'd loved using in 2013 being unavailable by the 2014 ruleset. Around this time I started drifting through Singles tiers and eventually started laddering Smogon Doubles during the sleep suspect test.

4. What is your favourite playstyle to use in Doubles, and why?
My favorite playstyle in Doubles would probably be Bulky Offense. Usually I try out as many different styles as I can to be able to use diverse teams for tournaments, but most of the teams I'm comfortable with are bulky/balanced. I also love quirky teams that focus on utilizing set-up + redirection.

5. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively and why? What is your favourite Pokémon overall and why?
Right now, my favorite Pokemon to use competitively is Ferrothorn. I love how it walls 4-5 mons on basically every team and serves as a great win condition. Along with great bulk and defensive typing, it gets nice recovery with Leech Seed and has a cool defensive ability. On top of that, it hits really hard with Gyro Ball and Power Whip, despite a mediocre 94 base attack. My favorite Pokemon overall is Togekiss because it's a big fluffy bird. :>

6. Do you believe there is anything broken or suspect worthy in the current metagame?
Not really, I feel like the metagame is really balanced right now. Skymin's ban hasn't made anywhere near as much of an impact as people expected. Mega Diancie, while common, isn't too hard to deal with at all, and hyper offense continues to be a good playstyle.

Also, Swagger is frustrating to play against but nobody really uses it so yeah.

7. With Open recently finished, and Seasonals deep underway, who do you think are the favourites to win?
Grats to Arctic for winning Dubs Open! In terms of Seasonals, I'm rooting for Stratos/Heliosan. Everyone knows ponymon is a great player, but I'm also rooting for Heliosan since seeing someone who you practice with and give DOU teambuilding advice to getting to top 4 is nice. For some background informatoin, Heliosan's a VGC player who I got to start DOU, and I gave him a bunch of teams and helped him to start building his own. :>

8. Could you give us a team that resembles your playstyle and could you give us a brief explanation of it?

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 104 SpA / 52 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Protect

Gengar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 88 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Protect
This balance team is the one I've used the most over the last few months. The general idea is to have an offensive core of Mega Diancie and Volcarona, while everything else focuses on supporting the two through redirection, Taunt, Thunder wave, etc. Rotom-Wash handles Landorus-T and can paralyze rain mons, Hydreigon serves as a reliable Heatran check for Volcarona and an Aegislash check for Diancie, while Gengar provides Taunt and burn support against Amoonguss and Mega Kangaskhan respectively.

9. If you could change anything about Doubles, what would it be and why?
I mean we all know we go a bit too far while spectating matches now and then, but apart from that everything's nice n dandy.

Also SDPL soon y/y

10. Are there any other hobbies you have outside of playing Pokémon?
I've just recently started trying to get into competitive Smash 4, it's pretty interesting how the idea of reads, lures, etc is similar to mons despite it being a completely different kind of game. Apart from that, I spend a lot of time on Robotics, preparing for the next FRC (First Robotics Competition) season.

11. What is your favourite part about the Doubles community, and why?
How nice they are during tournament matches.

lol jk

I really like hanging out with Doubles buddies in the Smogon Doubles room on showdown, it's always fun to teambuild or just waste time avoiding all the work I have to do. On that note I should go soon.

12. Is there anything else you would like to say or speak about?
s/o to m8s from Pokemon Central and other Facebook groups for letting me lurk in their chats
s/o to VGC+DOU Group chat for giving me VGC teams, for giving me mons in-game, and letting me preach DOU to VGC plebs
And then s/o to nobody in dubs because your all nerds

bye

---
Thanks Nido for the interview! Also shrop can still answer his totally serious and meaningful questions if he wants to.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Yay for Nido-Rus thanks for the shoutout oh wait

1. What is one mon that you've tried time and again to use and just can't seem to fit?
2. Coolest wincon you've ever built a team around
3. What mon do you think just isn't as good as everyone else says it is?
4. Yoda for mod y/y
5. Is it a lost cause or is there anything we, as the doubles community, can do to not be nerds?

Yay for Nido-Rus thanks for the shoutout oh wait

1. What is one mon that you've tried time and again to use and just can't seem to fit?
2. Coolest wincon you've ever built a team around
3. What mon do you think just isn't as good as everyone else says it is?
4. Yoda for mod y/y
5. Is it a lost cause or is there anything we, as the doubles community, can do to not be nerds?
1. Definitely support Thund-I. It's annoying when I face it but for me, the support set ends up as dead weight way too often. I can use offensive just fine though
2. Probably DD Mega Gyara, really cool mon with its water/dark coverage
3. I could mention a ton of underrated mons but I'm not really sure about common mons that I think aren't good. Maybe amoong? idk, I still think it's pretty gud
4. y
5. who said being a nerd was bad? <:]

bad smash title
get with the times m8

nerd : Nido-Rus
who's the first dou buddy you made?
opinion about dou stall ?
First dou buddy would definitely be Yellow Paint. s/o to Paint :]
DOU stall is something I keep trying to make, but I don't have any 'successful' teams with it. Ask Yellow Paint or Lady Gaga for tips

mfk:
megacyber, megacyber, megacyber
uh

Mfk poll, ignore button, groupchat?

folders
mfk poll-don't like
ignore button- is cool but I haven't used it seriously at all so far
groupchat- was a nice idea but rip access to non-global voice. would be simpler by just having group pms built in.
folders- still waiting @_@

help test?
ok

1) 3 pokemon you most want to see get mega's
2) thoughts on doubles uu
1. Flygon, Togekiss, Breelom
2. Is pretty fun, but DOU itself has a pretty small playerbase, to say nothing of DUU

• What's your favorite unorthodox/niche set?
  • Do you expect to do well in the upcoming seasonal?
  • Is it true that you sucked a lot of dick for voice on PS! as suggested by the comments you left in this replay?
• Scarf Breelom @_@
• I hope to, can't say if I expect to.
• Nope, I got voice with my dignity intact. @_@

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader

Interviewee #26 - n10sit
1. Hi! Who are you and could you give a little introduction of yourself?
Hey! I'm n10sit (not n1n1) and I'm a Doubles and VGC player from Kansas, USA. I joined Smogon around April of this year, when I was looking to get into more competitive battling and to have a new place to practice for the 2016 VGC season. I stumbled across the Doubles community along the way, and I've enjoyed being a part of it ever since.

2. Where did your username come from and why have you stuck with it?
I came up with my username a long, long time ago as a young teenager. I don't remember the context, but it's supposed to be a representation of the word "intensity" (n 10 si t). I've stuck with it since because I'm generally not creative when it comes to usernames, and it's easy to remember. I'm sure I thought it was super original at the time, but I know it's not that great.

3. When did you start playing competitive Pokémon, when did you start playing competitive Doubles, and why did you stick around?
So I started really getting into competitive Pokemon this year, around April when I joined Smogon. I attended some VGC 2015 events, and I had a lot of fun, so I decided I wanted to really get into the next year, and that's how I found out about Smogon and Pokemon Showdown. I started playing Doubles right when I joined Smogon. I remember joining and being like "why is there a separate doubles metagame? I bet this is really dumb." But I've really enjoyed Doubles ever since then, even though I sort of ruined the old viability rankings and was just a classic shitter for a short period of time. I've made a lot of friends in the Doubles and VGC communities since I've been here, and I think that's pretty cool. I've stuck around to play Pokemon of course, but the people I've met and friends I've made have really made my time here on Smogon a lot of fun.

4. What is your favourite playstyle to use in Doubles, and why?
I generally play on the line between bulky offense and hyper offense. I never want to restrict myself to one style of play or one team style, which helps me avoid the fangame effect. My general team structure, however, is either all out HO, or a 2 mon defensive backbone with 4 very offensive things. I also tend to stay away from setup sweepers in serious play, although you can sometimes catch me giving the DUU ladder the business with shell smash Barbaracle and belly drum Linoone. I also used to play a lot of Trick Room, but I've strayed from this recently, as I think it's becoming less and less effective in the current metagame.

5. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively and why? What is your favourite Pokémon overall and why?
My favorite Pokemon to use competitively is probably Kyurem-Black, although it faces competition from Sylveon and Deoxys-Attack for being my favorite. Kyube is an absolute monster, and it's a versatile one at that. It's a great counter to THALK, and there are a lot of different sets that you can use, and I think being able to catch your opponent off-guard with a Kyube is pretty cool. I also obviously really like the substitute set, as it can just win games on it's own. My favorite pokemon overall, however, is probably either Lugia or Mega Aggron. I've always liked Pokemon that are "walls", but I don't like playing singles, so I don't really get to use them much. Mega Aggron is actually something I've tried to make competitively viable, (see my teambuilding competition submission for week 22) and it can hold it's own.

6. Do you believe there is anything broken or suspect worthy in the current metagame?
I really don't think so. There are some people complaining about Mega Diancie, but I don't think it's broken at all, just really good. There will always be talk about Mega Kangaskhan and the Genies, but those Pokemon are fine in the metagame as well. Suspect KyleCole for steroid use y/n

7. With Open finished, and Seasonals undergoing it's final stages, who do you think is the favourite to win?
Kyle is just too good right now. Kyle is playing at an extremely consistent and high level and I think that's what's going to put him over the top. Stratos is a very good player, and there's obviously a decent chance he wins this series. I know they'll both be preparing a ton for these matches. If nothing else, they should be really entertaining to watch.

8. Could you give us a team that resembles your playstyle and could you give us a brief explanation of it?

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 7 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- King's Shield

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 24 SpA / 100 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower
This is a pretty cool team that represents the bulky offense style that I enjoy. (Also I like lost a lot of my teams and I'm keeping them off the forums because of the upcoming seasonals/other people want to use them) It has Mega Venusaur, which is really cool, but the rest of the team is pretty standard, with Fire Blast on Hydreigon for Ferrothorn/general fire coverage. It holds it's own speed-wise once you T-wave a few things, and then the offensive mons + fatasaurus can take care of a lot of threats.

9. What is your favourite part about the Doubles community, and why?
My favorite thing about this community is just how laid back the environment is, usually. Aside from the occasional shitter riling everybody up, it's not like other communities where the slightest thing gets moderated and rooms are held to a ridiculous standard. People know how to have fun in this community and that's what I enjoy. I like that we can all make fun of each other and it isn't a big deal, nobody takes things personally. I mean, sometimes, a former tier leader, whom I won't name, may or may not say things that are a little mean, but he's a good guy too. I just really like a lot of the Doubles regulars, and the environment is what makes this place special to me.

10. If you could change anything about Doubles community, what would it be and why?
I would like for the community to accept new people better, but that's probably it. It's not like this is some elitist community, but sometimes I feel like newer players get ousted easily, which is something I need to work on preventing myself. Like I said, I really like this community, so there's not a lot of changes that I would make.

11. Are there any other hobbies you have outside of playing Pokémon?
I really enjoy basketball, and I played all throughout high school, so that's something I try to do when I can. I also play other video games, as most of us do. I used to be pretty big into Hearthstone, but I've stopped playing recently as I think the metagame is drifting away from a good place. I play tons of games, so if you're looking for someone to play something with, definitely let me know.

12. Is there anything else you would like to say or speak about?
Not really. Good luck to both KyleCole and Stratos, and to everyone in the upcoming winter seasonals and SPL. Thanks for making me DPOTW, and taking the time to interview me.

---
Thanks to n_n10 for interview as always!

You said you dont believe that the metagame needs another suspect.
Why do you think we should suspect Rock Slide and Swagger and why it's the best decision?

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Here are my questions, from lowest to highest importance:

What is one mon that you feel is overvalued in the current metagame?
blah blah blah same as above **undervalued blah blah?
Why is Primeape deserving of Tier 1?
Why does your name look like it should be pronounced "en-ten-sit" and are you planning on changing it to be more obvious?
How does it make you feel that Yoda gets all the likes for your interview?
Do you still stand by Bulk Up Hitmonchan as a viable option for DOU teams?
Favorite ice cream flavor?
How does it feel to be the innovator behind the classic Magmar/Cradily/non-STAB Blastoise core?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)