Doubles OU Player of the Week #41 - Stax

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Are you free at all this weekend? Sorry I missed our time, I hadn't eaten in hours and had no food lying around
barring any spontaneous parental decisions, i should be free today from now until ~4:30 pm gmt -5, so about 5 hrs. sunday i should be open during the afternoon and evening, in case today doesn't work

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader

Interviewee #29 - GiraGoomy
1. Hi! Who are you and could you give a little introduction of yourself?
G'day! I'm GiraGoomy, some random VGC player who decided to try out Smogon Doubles during the break between VGC 2014 and VGC 2015. I'm from that place called 'Australia' where everything is out to get you and I am in Year 11 at school. I also enjoy using shitmons :).

2. Where did your username come from and why have you stuck with it?
I got my username from combining the names of my two favourite mons, Giratina and Goomy. I stuck with it because to be completely honest I can't think of anything else that I could 'see myself as'. Also the blue colour for the name on PS! is pretty sick imo.

3. When did you start playing competitive Pokémon, when did you start playing competitive Doubles, and why did you stick around?
I started playing competitive Pokemon in the early stages of 2014. If you count VGC as competitive doubles then I guess you could say that the only tiers I have competitively played in are doubles tiers as VGC was the first tier I played. Competitive Smogon Doubles though I started playing late 2014 mostly as a way to try and help myself become a better VGC player. I stuck around at the beginning mostly because I knew Level 51 from VGC, but as I started to enjoy the tier more I got to meet some really cool people who influenced me to stay n_n.

4. You managed to reach Worlds in the most recent VGC season, would you like to tell us about the experience?
The Worlds experience is absolutely incredible. Finishing Top 32 in VGC 2014 at Worlds, my aim was always to beat that in the VGC 2015 season. I somehow did, ending up with a 5-2 record that got me to Top 16. The really cool part about Worlds though is just being with a large amount of other people who all share one common connection being Pokemon. Worlds is mostly amazing for me as it gives me the opportunity to meet some of the really cool guys who live in other countries who I have met to and talked to online. Being from Australia, I know that'd I'd be rarely given this chance and had to make the most of it, because realistically the chances of a Worlds being in Australia are very slim and I don't think I'll be able to pay for a Worlds trip for another few years. But yeah Worlds is sorta something you have to experience for yourself as I can't put it in a lot of words. Fun fact: Worlds 2015 was the first time I've used Mega Kangaskhan.

5. What is your favourite playstyle to use in Doubles, and why?
TBH I have no idea whatsoever. I'm even so bad that I can't really tell the difference between different playstyles. Some stuff I've been building recently (lol I barely ever build) has been sort of Hyper Offense but with one bulky mon (practically Ferrothorn 99% of the time). Even though I've been building Hyper Offense I'd probably say Bulky Offense is my favourite playstyle (is that even a thing anymore I don't actually know). I've used Bulky Offense in a lot of my VGC 2014 teams and I liked how it allowed you to just have a bit more safety in terms of switchins to certain attacks and maybe control the game a bit more? I don't even know if what I'm saying is correct so don't judge me if everything I've said has been wrong lmao.

6. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively and why? What is your favourite Pokémon overall and why?
Looking at the very few of my good teams, my favourite mon to use competitively would probably be Blaziken. IDK why but the fact that after a Speed Boost it can check a lot of different top tier mons is what I think really lures me into loving to build with Blaziken. In fact I think I've gone and put Blaziken over Infernape on a fair amount of teams with Infernape so rip fire monkey :(. My favourite Pokemon overall though is Goomy. It's just an amazing Pokemon like I can't even say how fantastic it is because no words describe its greatness. I heard the new PMD had a Goomy as a main character as well so when I can get that I'll definitely be playing it.

7. Do you believe there is anything broken or suspect worthy in the current metagame?
Nah everything seems fine. I'm really enjoying the meta rn so I don't want much to change. Also PLEASE don't bring back Skymin, it's literally the definition of everything wrong with Pokemon in general : (.

8. With Winter Seasonals underway, who do you think are the favourites to win?
I think it's a bit early to tell who's going to win Winter Seasonals but I'm rooting for 51, qsns, Elegy, whoever I lose to and some others. I don't like picking favourites because there is no such thing as a 'favourite' in this game we play called Pokemon hahahaha!!!

9. Could you give us a team that resembles your playstyle and could you give us a brief explanation of it?

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Ice Fang
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 28 SpD / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 220 HP / 100 Def / 188 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Protect

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 84 Atk / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Superpower
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect
This is probably my favourite team that has actually done well in tournaments and it was based around Mega Aerodactyl: the coolest mega ever. I like to think of this as bulky offense as it has the combination of Mega Aerodactyl/Bisharp/Blaziken mixed with a combination of Cresselia/Rotom-W/Amoonguss. I made this team back in the days of Skymin where Keldeo + Skymin was fairly popular. Mega Aerodactly outspeeds and OHKO's both baring Focus Sash which is why I used it to begin with. This is one of the teams that originally had Infernape over Blaziken but I ended up seeing no reason for Quick Guard or Fake Out when I could have something faster. The aim of this team is to attack when you can and switch when you need to (nice explaination/10). My favourite part is undoing Trick Room's on the same turn they're put up :).

10. What is your favourite part about the Doubles community, and why?
My favourite part about the community is probably just how it's full of a lot of cool people just having fun while being competitive at the same time (nah jk it's obviously the sick memes lolol). I feel like the community can be a bit unwelcoming at times though which is a shame because it's a good community :[.

11. If you could change anything about the Doubles community, what would it be and why?
Not entirely sure but maybe just be a bit more nicer and empathetic towards newer players? IDK about everyone else but I know that I started using gimmicky, not the best stuff when I began competitive play so it makes sense that this is what some of the newer players are doing as well.

12. Are there any other hobbies you have outside of playing Pokémon?
I used to play competitive Tennis but the people at those events are not very nice so now I just play a casual league. Also the last time at a tour I injured my shoulder really bad :(. I'm also obsessed with football (or soccer for you nerds), especially fantasy EPL. If you haven't caught onto the trend already I like almost every sport. I also do some Maths (studying is cool) and play the PS4 in my spare time. Everton are the best EPL side BTW.

13. Is there anything else you would like to say or speak about?
ElegyOfVGC is a cute user n_n. Also if anyone has some EDM I can listen to while I play that'd be sick cause I'm starting to listen to the same stuff again : ) (I swear I didn't copy Croven). Also thanks Yoda for making the the esteemed Doubles OU Player of the Week™!

---
Thanks for the interview Gira, and Merry Christmas to everyone over this festive period!

Last edited:
1. Are you gonna actually play vgc this year or ditch out on dark void spam
2. Are you gonna be good at vgc this year
3. fight me irl
4. Which do you think is better: Yveltal+Pdon or Zekrom+MGarde+Smeargle
5. Which do you think is better: Rei or Stratos

Every sport except the one jarred hayne isn't in
Real question though, what is your favorite core so far in vgc 16?

GiraGoomy

when you see a good meme
vgc being a lot shorter, how does ferrothorn fare well being somewhat passive? (im such a nerd for asking this)
Ferro's still a good mon because of it's ability to switch into so many moves. Imo in VGC you just find yourself using Leech Seed a bit less and attacking moves a bit more.

1. Are you gonna actually play vgc this year or ditch out on dark void spam
2. Are you gonna be good at vgc this year
3. fight me irl
4. Which do you think is better: Yveltal+Pdon or Zekrom+MGarde+Smeargle
5. Which do you think is better: Rei or Stratos
1. I'm gonna play vgc for fun this year because I have other stuff to do but like screw dark void anyways.
2. First year in masters so I'm probably gonna be ass
3. australia worlds (lol)
4. I hate both Smeargle and Pdon so they're equally as bad. tbh though probably pdon + yveltal
5. qsns

what edm do you listen to, like what's the 'same stuff' ur listening to now
tbh I just listen to random stuff that either I find or my friends find. When I run out of that I just go back to monstercat because it's easy to find some good stuff there. If I was able to list all the 'same stuff' I'm listening to I'd have a sick memory.

giragoomy? as in, THE giragoomy?
THE giragumdrop!!!111!!!??!//?!/?/

Every sport except the one jarred hayne isn't in
Real question though, what is your favorite core so far in vgc 16?
you spelt JARRYD wrong don't trigger me

I've built like 3 teams but favourite core is probably Mega Gengar + Yveltal because it's just cool n_n

What do you think we should erase from vgc16(and pokemon in general) and why is it Pdon, Smeargle and Liepard?

GiraGoomy

when you see a good meme
mfk Stratos, Mizuhime, Totem
m: qsns, f: qsns, k: no one i'm not that mean

my fren has a killer EDM playlist (mine is like 5 songs long lol) https://soundcloud.com/tommy-fordan/sets/results-may-vary
I had a small listen and it looks really good. Know a lot of the artists there as well. Thanks n_n

What do you think we should erase from vgc16(and pokemon in general) and why is it Pdon, Smeargle and Liepard?
Pdon is good but it's not unbearable. Liepard isn't that annoying but Smeargle's main claim to fame is Dark Void and screw that move. IMO how good this season is depends entirely on how events are gonna be run (Bo1, Bo3, etc).

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader

Interview #30 - Lohgock
1. Hi! Who are you and could you give a little introduction of yourself?
Hi, I'm Laurin, 20 years old, from Darmstadt, Germany. At the moment I'm in Amsterdam with a friend of mine. Asking them how to describe me, they said: "you appear to be really arrogant but actually are a little crybaby." Now you know everything important about me!

2. Where did your username come from and why have you stuck with it?
I started playing Pokemon over 10 years ago meaning I roughly had no knowledge of the English language. I'm also the least creative person on earth so I decided to just name myself after my favourite Pokemon, Blaziken. I'm sticking with it, since I didn't get any more creative since then and people now know me by that name.

3. When did you start playing competitive Pokémon, when did you start playing competitive Doubles, and why did you stick around?
Hmm, I started playing on simulators over 10 years ago, as I said, but I don't know at which point you can actually call it "playing competitively". I started playing Doubles after German VGC Nationals 2014 and stuck around mainly due to the meta being incredibly fun. Also because I had the best tutor on this planet, Laga!

4. What is your favourite playstyle to use in Doubles, and why?
I don't have a favourite playstyle in Doubles, though I don't like using Heavy Offense at all and I'm not exactly a fan of weather, especially Sun.

5. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively and why? What is your favourite Pokémon overall and why?
I love Kyurem for it's ability to break through FWG cores with ease and being one of the best answers to thalk, thus beating people who think using a vgc team in dubs is a great idea. I also learned to love Kanga which I hated a year ago. Don't think I need to tell anyone why it's good. My favourite overall Pokemon are Blaziken, Torchic, Swablu, Munchlax and Wooper. You see, I love cute Pokemon *_*

6. Do you believe there is anything broken or suspect worthy in the current metagame?
Mega Diancie is stupid. It's way too hard to counter and also great defensively. It's definitely suspect worthy. I also don't like the concept of Hoopa-U. It's completely against the doubles mentality and while it's not really broken, it's just not how a mon in Doubles should be.

7. With Winter Seasonals underway, who do you think are the favourites to win?
Laga and iZocker!

8. Could you give us a team that resembles your playstyle and could you give us a brief explanation of it?
Klefki @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Safeguard
- Flash Cannon
- Light Screen

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Spore
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 240 HP / 112 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 208 HP / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
- Earth Power
I used this team in some roomtours and it's surprisingly effective. Klefki is a fun gimmick, the rest is rather standard. I personally like this type of team due to it being able to deal with nearly every other playstyle and making it easy for me to control the game.

9. What is your favourite part about the Doubles community, and why?
I like the people, they're really kind and awesome to talk to. Everyone is just really nice and overall it's cool how competitive it is.

10. If you could change anything about the Doubles community, what would it be and why?
Nothing really tbh.

11. Are there any other hobbies you have outside of playing Pokémon?
I play in and train a Handball team. I travel a lot (mainly due to vgc tho lol) and love to gain knowledge, mostly through reading. I study German Philology and History at University in Mainz and I like writing.

12. Is there anything else you would like to say or speak about?
#egaregiert

---
Thanks for the Interview Loghock, and a Happy New Year to everyone! \o/

Good interview :D

How are you liking it in Amsterdam so far?
It's a beautiful city, way cleaner than most german cities and people are very kind. I'm kinda sad to be back im Germany now :[

glückwunsch zu #1 im cp standing :)

thoughts about vgc16?
Danke (:
I don't like it at all, too many speedties and weatherwars but let's see how it evolves, I don't like most vgc metas anyway haha

lol u predicted me to win a seasonal...
Believe in yourself!

Nice to hear that you are from darmstadt since i am from dieburg which isnt that far away. I might even see you sometime at a handball match because i play it as well :)

What do you like most about entering vgc events ?
How do you prepare for your spl matches ?
Any thoughts about the „Lilien"?

Nice to hear that you are from darmstadt since i am from dieburg which isnt that far away. I might even see you sometime at a handball match because i play it as well :)

What do you like most about entering vgc events ?
How do you prepare for your spl matches ?
Any thoughts about the „Lilien"?
Wow, awesome to meet someone so close to me having the same interests :D hope we meet some time at a match :)

Regarding your questions:
1. I love travelling, especially with friends. That's honestly the most important part for me. Everybody likes to win tho and I'm no exception. If I didn't have a fair chance of winning, I would've given up the whole thing already.

2. Last year, stratos and me did a lot of preparation for every opponent, testing teams, work on them etc. but I also do some preparation outside of the game. I'm drinking 1-2 liters of Water during a game, so the bottles need to be on my desk when the game starts, fresh air needs to be in my room and I need to go some steps right before the game. That's especially important when I already spent some time on my PC before the game.

3. I have three Lilien-Stickers on my car and cried after their promotions in the past two years. Sadly didn't make it to the stadium yet this season, planning to change that asap tho. I assume you're a fan, too? :D

I'll be studying abroad in Prague starting February and want to see a lot of Germany! I am interested in both historical sites as well as clubs/sports/etc. I plan on visiting the more obvious sites like Neuschwanstein and concentration camps already, but it would be cool to have recommendations from a native!

Also are there any holidays/events between February and May that you would recommend I spend in Germany?

Oh nice, do you plan to visit some vgc events, too? Maybe we even meet there.

Which parts of Germany will you be visiting? I'll write down stufff everywhere in Germany here, if you only visit certain parts, I can also specify on them.

Historical:
Limes in Mainz/Taunus
Kaiserresidenz in Aachen
Berlin Wall in Berlin
Schloss Sannsouci in Potsdam
Loreley in Sankt Goarshausen
Römer in Frankfurt
Eifel in Nordrhein-Westfalen

Sports:
Football is the most popular sport here by far, followed by Handball and Basketball. The atmosphere in the stadiums is one of the best in Europe, you'll have a tough time getting tickets, so if you want to watch one of those, better try to get tickets as soon as possible.

Cities worth visiting (besides the obvious ones like Berlin):
Heidelberg
Freiburg
Hamburg
Aachen
Dresden
Mainz
Frankfurt am Main
Kiel

other places worth visiting:

Europapark in Rust
Bergstraße and Odenwald in southern Hessen
all the islands in Nordsee and Ostsee
Dreiflüßeeck in Koblenz

I need to think about upcoming events a bit, if something else comes to mind, I'll let you know, if you have any question, don't hestitate to ask me :)

I've got a lot of googling/planning to do! My school schedule gives me long weekends (hopefully five days), and Germany is a short bus ride away, so I imagine I will try to visit a lot. I didn't consider going to vgc events but I will definitely check it out :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)