Project Doubles Teambuilding Competition - ON HIATUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
I don't think I have to count this one--Matame takes the week!

This time, we're building around the remaining Alolan Guardian in Tapu Fini! While it initially faced some skepticism early on, over time it rose as one of the more dangerous set-up threats in the metagame thanks to its bulk and typing, which grants it some nifty resistances especially to the likes of Hoopa-U and Heatran. It needs some time to take going, though!

Deadline of building on next Thursday, GMT noon-ish :{|}!!!

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Oasis Storm
A bulky sand balance team constructed from a Fini-Zapdos core.
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 152 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 36 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 56 Def / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Seismic Toss
- Crunch

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Follow Me
- Icy Wind
- Protect
I usually gravitate towards more offensive teams, but in this case my goal was to build an entire team that embodied and Tapu Fini's "slow and steady" style of fighting. This team tries to wear down the opponent through consistent damage, sandstorm attrition, and bulky mons that just don't die.

Tapu Fini and Zapdos form a great defensive core. As qsns notes, "they take on common physical attackers such as Landorus-T and Zygarde due to their natural type advantages against them and most special hits bounce off of Fini and Misty Seed Zapdos." Since my vision was to run as many bulky mons as possible, I wanted to make sure I still had at least one strong wallbreaker that still complemented my high-bulk vision. Groundium Z Landorus-Therian was the perfect fit, as it hits like a truck with Tectonic Rage but still buffs the team's longevity through its Intimidate support. Assault Vest TTar is the epitome of a bulky attacker; Sandstorm and Assault Vest are both Special Defense modifiers, so their multiplications stack together bringing TTar's final SpD to 225% of its original value (1.5 *1.5=2.25). TTar is EV'd to outspeed Mega Metagross under tailwind, hit as hard as possible, and invest the its reamining EVs into its already great bulk. Its fantastic coverage moves also allow it to net super-effective hits on everything from Salamence to Aegislash to Heatran. Kangaskhan-Mega is also the epitome of a bulky attacker in this meta. I run enough Attack to bop Lele and a few other frailer threats with Double Edge, but otherwise Kangaskhan really just needs lots of bulk and Seismic Toss to 2HKO most of the meta -- TTar's sand is also a great extra push for when Kang's stosses are just shy of that 2HKO benchmark :). Jirachi is the obligatory bulky steel of this team and offers fantastic redirection and speed control support. That said, if I'm being honest this last slot can pretty much be any Pokemon you want and the team's probably still fine. Hell, I recently won a room tour using this team with Gumshoos in the 6th slot :II
Here's a few replays of this team in action:

Gengar-Mega (F) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 104 HP / 152 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 156 Atk / 100 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Protect

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 80 SpA / 124 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

Salamence @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

i was toying around with mgar + gene and then Matame gave me mgar + gene + fini as a core to build around so then i finished it. zapdos gives a nice ground immunity for the team and offers reliable tailwind support to support the team. i used landoi > landot because i like it more bc it hits hard and i already have intimidate and a strong scarfer in gene. mence rounds out team with another fire/water resist and well as a great check to lando/tran.
fini has cm for an excellent win con, mgar survives koko tbolt and speed ties and hp ground gene for tran.
vote 4 me kthx
if u wanna be lame and run landot ig the team could be mgar/gene/fini/zapdos/landot/hydra(?) but this is cooler!!!!!

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion

I only used this team to qualify for dlt (except for a short period where i had to bust out the spl teams cause i was going on tilt and i needed to get into 1700s) so it is a good team :D

I wanted to build around snorlax cause it's a cool mon and new gluttony effects + 50% berries makes it so much better. Snorlax is pretty bad outside of TR so naturally this will be TR. Added jirachi cause redirection and it learns TR. Mence was next cause I wanted intimidate and something fast so I'm not super reliant on TR (even though this team ended up being pretty much fullroom). It also beats fighting types even tho those don't really exist. Next up was tapu fini. I really like having set-up mons on TR like CM sylv, PUP kanga since people like to make strategic doubles and protecting to stall it out. It also is anti-status so I don't get boned by amoonguss. Tyranitar gives me a solid fire check and another psychic switch in. Lastly, I needed a fire type to beat pesky steels like celesteela and jirachi so I added victini because it also learns TR. Victini also resists psychic + fire so more psychic spam hate :D

The snorlax spread was stolen from http://www.trainertower.com/vgc-17-ev-spread-compendium/ and I was too lazy to change it to dou spreads because this is a fun team so who cares lol. I forgot what the fini and victini spread did. LO low kick ttar hits other ttar, ohkos 4 HP heatran, and does good damage vs kangaskhan, which I find better than ice punch tbh since that only hits landorus and zygarde (just use rock slide vs mence) which is a lot more manageable than opposing ttar.

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 100 HP / 28 Atk / 244 Def / 132 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Return
- High Horsepower
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Iron Head
- Follow Me
- Trick Room
- Protect

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 52 Atk / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 84 SpA / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Low Kick
- Protect

Victini @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Trick Room
- Protect

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That's an interesting defensive benchmark for Gengar, GreenGogoatttt! I tweaked with some damage calcs, and with 40 HP / 48 SpD Gengar can still survive a LO TB from Tapu Koko while also giving it 16 extra SpA evs. Thanks for sharing ur gengar spread :]

Last edited:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 220 HP / 24 Def / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Protect

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Tailwind
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 36 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- King's Shield

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

Tapu Fini is great for being used as a set up Pokemon and 252+ SpA helps it get the most Sp. Atk it can. Salamence was added because it is a nice physical set up Pokemon so it can provide another threat. Landorous was added because i wanted to see what the first two Pokemon on the team could do and i lost to a combination of Charizard and Typhlosion so i added Landorous as a way to Rock Slide them both. Zapdos was added because i saw the core of it and Tapu Fini and wanted to try it out and because it is a defensive core it is useful since the team was starting to go more physically offensive. Aegislash adds a steel type which is good because it can resist ice and many other types of attacks. I didn't know what to use so i just added Tapu Lele because it is bulky and has great offenses and Tapu Fini setting Misty Terrain is really only good when combined with Zapdos but after you lead Tapu Fini and Zapdos the boost to Tapu Lele Psychics is useful and Zapdos won't lose its boost to Sp.Def so it is okay to use.

Last edited:

The team started with Kang + Aegis because I wanted a core that is effective against AzuRachi and Kang+Zong. The strategy is this: eliminate Rachi/Zong with Aegislash's Never-Ending Nightmare while Kang use Fake Out on the other mon. I put Lando-T as my next mon because it has good synergy with Kang and improves the team's matchup against the "majority" of the metagame. Zapdos and Heatran also has a significant role in eliminating Mence and Celesteela. Not to mention, Aegislash, Heatran, and Tapu Fini all take an advantage to Zapdos's TW. The last mon is Tapu Fini. Its main role is to counter opposing Terrains, thus allowing Landorus-T or Kang be effective against Grassy Terrain and Psychic Terrain, respectively. It also acts as an insurance against Status moves such as Hypnosis and common cores like Rain. Overall, it's just a simple team that is very easy to use.

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Seismic Toss
- Crunch
- Fake Out

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 64 SpA / 40 SpD / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Tailwind

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 228 HP / 224 SpA / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
DOUBLE SET-UP OFFENSE

Team :
Gigi (Tapu Fini) @ Waterium Z
EVs: 144 HP / 228 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Muddy Water
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Heartache Tonight (Gengar-Mega) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 40 HP / 168 SpA / 48 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Protect

Astor (Jirachi) @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Stealth Rock

Cloudy Days (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 188 HP / 164 Atk / 60 Def / 76 SpA / 20 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Gunk Shot
- Protect

Bye Bye Love (Zapdos) @ Misty Seed
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 76 SpA / 124 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Cecilia (Volcarona) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Description :
  • The team started out with the intention of using offensive calm mind fini with waterium z to nuke stuff at +1 and breaking through teams early game while at the same time opening up for a late game volcarona sweep. +1 Hydro Vortex nails several KOes like heatran under sun, mega-metagross ,AV ttar and does>80% to jirachi and having a z move allows me to run dual spread STAB. Speed EVs allow it to outspeed modest heatran and everything below and scarf lando-t post tailwind.
  • Next up, one ideal partner was mega-gengar which traps and kills tapu koko and tapu bulu, biggest threats to tapu fini. Gengar is EVed to always survive life orb t-bolt from koko barring crits hence successfully trapping and eliminating tapu koko. Next up I added a follow me user in jirachi with Shuca Berry to ease up my match-up against lando-t and successfully icy wind it. Jirachi also carries stealth rocks for opposing charizard-y if needed.
  • Since the team lacked proper method of speed control, I just slapped on a bulky Zapdos with misty seed to set up tailwind on the face of stuff like charizard-y easily and provide me with a much needed ground immunity. Afterwards, I added a solid tailwind abuser in Hoopa-Unbound with Gunk Shot to take on pretty much all the opposing fairies under tailwind. Hoopa is EV'ed to survive a double-edge from kangaskhan after sitrus recovery to help against bronzong - tr teams.
  • And finally Volcarona was added as a late game sweeper, focus sash is the preferred item here to take on stuff like mega-salamence and lando-t by absorbing a hit, quiver dancing and subsequently hitting them with a hp ice.
Replay(Not the best one, but only one I got) : http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-535594551

Last edited:

Originally started with Ttar + Exca; needed Ttar to set up the sand for Exca and check Zard Y, Exca to out speed nearly everything in sand and check psychic spam, among other things. Added Tapu Fini next, as it can prevent statuses from being inflicted onto my team, primarily Excadrill. Next, I added Mega Salamence, which often helped me clean late game or weaken up a team mid-game for Excadrill to win. I added Heatran next to check Fire-types for Excadrill and Bulu and Steel-types for Mega Mence, Bulu, and Fini. Finally, my team was really ground weak, so I added bulu to somewhat mitigate that weakness.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 200 SpA / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 HP / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Ice Beam

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Tailwind
- Protect

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 220 HP / 164 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Explosion

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 136 Atk / 8 Def / 132 SpA
Brave Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 152 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 36 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

At this point people probably know this team as it got used twice in SPL week two. Bowman and I built this team together around the idea of HP ice aegislash and a support tyranitar as these two pokes were really good against a lot of the metagame such as Charizard, Deoxys, Mega Mence and plenty of others. We added what's become a staple defensive core in Tapu Fini + Zapdos as they work quite well together, provide speed control and just don't die. Mega mence was the next addition and we liked the speed it provided as well as the ability to break through threats such as Bulu, Lando-t and others. Last addition was Lando-t which started as a Lando-I but we decided a banded lando-t would be a better breaker with more utility and the speed tier of Lando-I wasn't that essential to the team.

Edit: Pocket I stole them from Qsns or Samvgc so I've kinda forgotten their purpose

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I tried some investigative calcs on what the EVs might have been for.

Speed hits 220. With tailwind, that is 440, which outspeeds Deoxys-A with positive nature. This has to be what they were EV'ing for.

16 in Defense EVs hit a jump point. Helpful when you have to take a Kang Return / Mence Double Edge / Lando Earthquake / Rock Slides in general, which is nice because Fini's typing lets you take a lot of physical hits neutrally.

252 HP For maximum overall bulk, obviously.

Now this is where I'm not exactly sure on: either the SpA or SpDef was a dump stat, but I've got no clue which one is which.

For your SpDef calc, you also get

252 SpA Shaymin-Sky Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Tapu Fini: 288-342 (83.7 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

While you get this without going to 32 EVs, 32 EV investment makes Fini's Special Attack stat even which gives you an extra stat point when you use Calm Mind.

Alternatively for SpA:

+1 156 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 360-426 (100.8 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
140 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hoopa-Unbound: 182-216 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
120 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 141-166 (50.1 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Going around that SpA range in generall gives rolls such as 2HKOing Tapu Koko with unboosted Moonblast, making sure Excadrill gets KOed by +1 Muddy Water after Life Orb recoil, 2HKOing Hoopa with Moonblast (or +1 SpDef Hoopa with +1 Moonblast), and other notable calcs. But you can get those calcs without going to full 156 SpA.

This seemed to be the particular roll going for 156 SpA, instead of stopping at 140, for instance. Kind of a stretch, given Zygarde seem to use some bulk investment. Maybe SpA was the dump stat!

Or, it is possible some of these "superfluous" EVs on SpA may be shifted to speed creep other Pokemon around that speed range intending to outspeed + Speed Deoxys-A in Tailwind.

Last edited:

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Miltankmilk; solid team I'd feel comfortable bringing to a serious match.

Dad's Snorlax steals the show as the most creative team, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)