Need Some Advice on my Team (Peak 1700)

This is my first actual competitive OU team. I tried several times before, but nothing really came out right. Now, I decided to make a balanced team with Togekiss, and with the help of AM145, I managed to create a team that is actually worth using. A balanced team using a dual core, a defensive core and an offensive core that work together, is what my team is. Now, let's get down to business and start the RMT!

First we have Togekiss, who I needed to be on the team. Identifying Togekiss's strengths, which with her set are Heal Belling and Thunder Waving, we got down to business on deciding what teammate it should have. Her weaknesses are Rock, Steel, Electric, Poison, and Ice. Its resistances are Ground, Dragon, Fighting, Bug, and Dark, if I'm not missing anything. We decided Heatran would be a suitable partner for her, appreciating her paralysis spreading and the removal of paralysis on Heatran.

Now we had Heatran and Togekiss, with one spot left for our Defensive core. This spot was a bit easier to decide, as Mega Venusaur is likely the best partner to Heatran. It also loves the removal of paralysis and burn, and its low speed appreciates opposing Pokemon's paralysis.

With a good defensive core down with utility, a special wall, and a physical wall, we got on our journey to find an offensive core of a wallbreaker, sweeper, and revenge killer. First, we decided on the wallbreaker, smashing down annoying walls that get in the way of this team. Easily the best wallbreaker in OU, we chose Kyurem-B as our new teammate. Another great thing about this guy is, his biggest counters, Scizor, Conkeldurr, and Sylveon, are stopped cold by the defensive core. He was a great teammate for this team, so we put him on.

A solid non-mega sweeper was next on our list. There were several options, such as Volcarona, Dragonite, Azumarill, and more. Looking through the choices carefully, we decided on Gyarados as a Moxie DD sweeper. This also accidentally created a FWG core between Heatran, Venusaur, and Gyarados.

With Moxie Gyarados on the list, I needed a fast revenge killer that could clean up after most of the damage had been done. Looking at the list, I first picked Terrakion for its astounding speed after being Scarfed. However, that left my team weak to hazards, so I decided to change scarf Terrakion to scarf Excadrill for its spinning capabilities.

Now my team is complete and raring to go! I hope that with future rates, it will get even better to work to help each others weaknesses, and destroy opposing teams.

After an in-depth talk with Electrolyte on IRC, we (well, he did most of the work, but you know) that Mega-Venusaur wasn't doing too much, and Excadrill was being too heavily relied on. We decided that all Mega-Venu did was check fighting types, so we got in Aegislash to get the job done. The rest, Kyu-B could handle. Latios was a great replacement for Excadrill, as it didn't need a scarf to be a fast revenge killer and a defogger. With the mega slot open, we gave it to our sweeper, Gyarados, to be more effective. Sets of the previous Pokemon will still be provided.

Plus suggested that I switch Togekiss to Breloom, due to Togekiss's lack of use. Most of what it countered and checked was already being dealt with by my previous members. Breloom had a more offensive presence, and it also threatens Chansey. It has been serving my team well, so I decided to put him on.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EV's: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Jolly Nature
Moves:
-Spore
-Rock Tomb
-Bullet Seed
-Mach Punch

Breloom isn't a main sweeper, but he serves more as a sleep inducer and pseudo wallbreaker. With the sash, it can switch in on predicted non-attacking moves, or once my teammates die, since I don't have a VoltTurner. I need to Defog hazards out of the way before I send him in, or the sash is broken. Yet, even with all these drawbacks, he manages to take out at least 1-2 Pokemon per game, and assists in other KO's with Spore. Instead of Swords Dance, I have Rock Tomb for Talonflames and Charizards that try to come in. Bullet Seed is a powerful STAB with Technician, and Mach Punch provides priority.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Sp. Def/ 4 Sp. Atk
Calm Nature
Moves:
-Stealth Rock
-Lava Plume
-Roar
-Ancientpower

Heatran is my bulky special attacker, and also my Rocks setter. He starts out to set my hazards and deal damage to opposing teams. While it doesn't even have passive healing, it has done well most games and fulfilled his duty quite skillfully. Ancientpower is there to counter Charizard Y and Talonflame. Not too much else to say, this is just Heatran being a boss.

Kyurem-B @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EV's: 52 HP/ 4 Atk/ 216 Sp. Atk/ 236 Spe
Rash Nature
Moves:
-Substitute
-Fusion Bolt
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam

The fearsome legendary with Ubers stats returns to wreak havoc in OU once more. Kyub here is my premier wallbreaker, knocking them down as if they are nothing. If he can get a substitute up, you might as well say gg. This guy is pretty much a monster in general. There's not much that can stop him, but what does stop him can stop him pretty hard. Latios is annoying, a faster Draco Meteor kills easily. Sylveon hits through a sub, and can tank most hits. Ferrothorn is only 4HKO'ed, but he's dealt with by Heatran.

I was actually considering putting Aegislash in here instead of Kyu-B. Aegi handles Latios and Blissey, the two pokemon that give this team the most trouble, and can also break down far more walls than Kyu-B can, actually. This is the set for him, comment if he's worth using over Kyu-B.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def
Adamant Nature
Moves:
-King's Shield
-Iron Head
-Sacred Sword
-Shadow Sneak

Aegi here is the replacement to Mega-Venusaur, who Electrolyte and I decided wasn't doing much. Grass, Electric, and Water types were being destroyed by Kyu-B already, so it was only countering Fighting. A more offensive option would be good for this, and Aegislash fit the bill perfectly. Instead of the mixed set, we had Iron Head on him to destroy Fairies.​

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate/Mold Breaker
EV's: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Moves:
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang

Gyarados-Mega, my powerful sweeper to kill everything. With DD, Mold Breaker, and an intensely high Attack stat, he can be a fearsome sweeper. Dragon dance to boost his Attack and Speed to incredible levels, and to let him sweep late game. Earthquake is to hit those pesky Levitaters, especially Rotom-W. Waterfall is a powerful STAB, decimating anything in the way. Ice fang is for Garchomp or Landorus. Overall, he can be a great help to the team after a DD or two.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
Timid Nature
Moves:
-Defog
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Thunderbolt

Latios is Excadrill's replacement, being incredibly fast without a Scarf, allowing it to revenge kill and Defog quickly while switching moves. Defog is a given; my team hates rocks. Draco Meteor is also obvious, being a nuke to take out one pokemon that I need out, but forcing me to switch out the next turn. Psyshock is to take out pink blobs, which my team has trouble with. Thunderbolt is to be able to take Mega-Pinsir and sometimes Azumarill, both of which are a bit troublesome to this team. It is also to check Charizard Y.

Well, there you have it. My first real competitive team, a balanced one. The pokemon cover each other's weaknesses quite well, but it is not perfect. There are a few pokemon that can easily threaten my team, such as:
-Bisharp
-Chansey
-Landorus-I
Anyway, thank you for bearing with me till the end. Thank you for taking your time to read and rate this team, and with Smogon's help, I hope to make this team even better and reach even greater heights!

Shoutout to AM145 for sticking with me all the way! Shoutout to Electrolyte for helping me on IRC!

Mega-Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EV's: 252 HP/252 Def/ 4 Sp. Atk
Bold Nature
Moves:
-Leech Seed
-Synthesis
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb

Venusaur here puts a stop to nearly all physical attackers, bar Mega-Pinsir and Talonflame. Leech Seed provides extra passive healing and passive damage to the enemy. Synthesis for a solid recovery move, to increase longevity. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are STAB's, and can decimate Rotom-W's and other pokemon. Giga Drain can be decent for recover too. Venusaur finishes off the defensive core of this team, filling the role of a physical wall.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EV's: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Moves:
-Earthquake
-Rapid Spin
-Rock Slide
-Iron Head

Excadrill fills in the needed role of a fast revenge killer, supplied with Choice Scarf. He can easily outspeed and take down many of the common OU threats, such as Thundurus, Char Y, and Talonflame. He is also very needed spinning support, with 3 of my team weak to rocks. He is a very vital pokemon, but he usually gets the job done pretty well, spinning away hazards and annihilating any threats. Completing the offensive core and the overall team, Excadrill is a great pokemon and a force to be reckoned with.

The Graceful Queen(Togekiss) Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EV's 252 HP/252 Sp. Def/ 4 Def
Calm Nature
Moves:
-Thunder Wave
-Air Slash
-Heal Bell
-Roost/Wish

Pretty standard Togekiss set. Here it plays a bulky utility role, crippling opposing teams and removing pesky status from my own team. Paraflinch is for getting rid of anything that I can, from Conkeldurr to Mega Venusaur, and can even get rid of its 'counters' that 2HKO it, given a clean switch. Roost is used for solid healing, and sometimes to get rid of my Electric and Ice weakness against slower opponents. Wish was previously used to help Heatran and the offensive Pokemon recover, but its uses were diminished, as it required too much prediction to be used correctly. If I didn't predict completely, either Togekiss or the Pokemon coming in would be killed. Also, its 2-turn heal was too long for Togekiss to live, and died too many times. Comment whether I just used Wish wrong, or if Roost really is the superior option on Togekiss.​

The Beautiful Queen (Togekiss) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Ancient Power

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 52 HP / 4 Atk / 216 SAtk / 236 Spd
Rash Nature
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Ice Fang

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Last edited:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey, I talked with you on IRC, but here are my thoughts, down on paper:

Excadrill is a problem on this team. You rely on it for too many things- spinning, revenge killing, checking Steel-types- and it can't possibly do all of those things when you need it to. Its reliability as a spinner decreases exponentially since you're also relying on it to basically check a lot of powerhouses that get past your defensive cover (such as Mega Pinsir and Mega Charizard Y.) The spinning end therefore loses out, making your team a lot weaker to Deo-Sharp offense, especially as half of your Pokemon are weak to Stealth Rock and you don't have a single thing that can take more than two hits from Bisharp.

In a smaller scale, Mega Venusaur's role is also relatively repetitive. With your current spread, it lacks power, so it won't be doing lots of damage anyway, and the Electric / Water / Grass types that it walls are pretty much covered by Kyurem-B. Its ability to counter Fighting-types is important, but can be replicated in something else that better benefits the team. Therefore, along with the previous problem, I propose these changes to better the team:

Change Excadrill to Latios.
Leftovers on Gyarados --> Gyaradosite.
Change Mega Venusaur to Aegislash.

(sets provided below)

As a whole, these three major changes accomplish these things:
~Your ability to counter hazards is increased. Latios gives you the best of both revenge killing and removing hazards. You check Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pinsir while still being able to remove hazards at a whim when needed. Excadrill can't do that, as it will be locked into a move. Latios also helps check Fighting-types that become more of a threat when you remove Mega Venusaur.
~Venusaur's role was a bit repetitive, and you could definitely use some more offense. Mega Gyarados is perfect for this; it has sizable bulk and can set up on a lot of common things, and can make winning / cleaning up a lot easier and faster. It also reliably checks Bisharp, and can use Mold Breaker EQ to surprise Rotom-W.
~Now without Venusaur, you still need something that can sponge physical attacks and counter Fairy-types and Fighting-types. Aegislash is your man; I'd go physical for Iron Head, Sacred Sword to surprise TTar / Bisharp, and Shadow Sneak for priority (since you don't have it at all right now.)

Good luck!

Thank you for responding! Yeah, I remember chatting with you on IRC, but it's very nice to have these changes down on paper. Will put them in immediately.

Hm, while I like the power, that accuracy worries me. Stone Edge has missed too many times than I would've liked. I'll test it and see how it goes, thanks for the reply.

Hey The Sinful Bird, got your request so here I am to rate your team. This looks like a pretty solid balanced team and through a bit of team testing I realized you have some trouble with things like Excadrill. With the new changes you are implementing you now have a huge Azumarill / Keldeo weakness as replacement threats. I suggest running Unaware Clefable over Togekiss in order to check both of them. The Wish / Protect combo is being used on this team in order to increase longevity without your team and because moonlight is hindered by sand, the most common weather at the moment. Moon blast is the preferred STAB for Clefable and Heal Bell let's her perform a cleric role for herself and the team. The EVs allow you to tank attacks based more on the physical side of the spectrum. Another thing to note is how well Clefable fits within the team synergy given that it provides key Fighting resists and Dragon immunity and the Steel types provide Poison immunity and a Steel immunity in return.

Pretty much what I was going to say was well covered by the rate above me. Good luck with the team in future though and don't hesitate to ask for more help.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Abilty: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Hey Nog, thanks for rating! Yeah, I can see a big Azu/Keldeo weakness here, but is Clefable the best counter to Keldeo? Togekiss does arguably better.
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 207-244 (52.5 - 61.9%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 175-207 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Azumarill I can definitely understand, that thing can be a pain without Mega Venusaur. And Togekiss can't do too much to it without flinch hax. But is Clefable the best option? It can take BellyJet pretty well, but what about banded sets?
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 235-277 (59.6 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Now, I understand that Togekiss is no answer to it, while it can try to flinch hax it, actually. 16 Speed EV's will outspeed a neutral nature fully invested speed Azumarill (though they are quite rare). Aqua Jet does pitiful damage from any set not named BellyJet. This could be my immature unwillingness to keep Togekiss (though I am willing to change it if a good amount of reasoning is given), but I do feel that Clefable may not be the best answer to all of this. Please tell me if there's anything I'm missing besides what you've said about Clefable already in your post above. Once again, thank you for rating the team, and I can definitely test out Clefable and see if it is worth putting on the team.

Edit: If Latios is at full health, it can take Azumarill:

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 191-225 (63.2 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

While Latios can do:
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 352-416 (87.1 - 102.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Granted, I need Rocks to finish it, but for the most part, Azumarill will be taken by Latios, while it requires either the sac'ing of 1-2 Pokemon to take it down. And if there are other huge threats on the other team, such as Char X, yeah I'm done.

Last edited:

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't think the current state of this team screams balance to me at this point in time, I looked at your building process with the venu/tran/kiss core and it looks like it's gravitating towards offense with Togekiss awkwardly there. With Aegislash/Latios/Mega Gyarados/Cube on this team then changing Latios to Latias for Healing Wish would make for much better offensive momentum while still having something for helping status. But to get to the point, you have Aegislash to force offensive pressure on Lati@s, Latios and Cube for Mega Venusaur, and Gyarados and Latios can handle Conkeldurr relatively well. Hell, Togekiss still has to watch for any incoming Sludge Bombs / Ice Punches if you want to switch it in safely. Even though it's there as a defensive backbone, you say that it covers "ground, dark, bug, fighting, and dragon". Types aren't Pokemon though, so you must consider that Ground often means Excadrill and Landorus who both beat Togekiss with Iron Head / Stone Edge, Dark means Bisharp who beats you with Iron Head, Bug means Scizor who beats you with Bullet Punch, while running Aegislash and Latios already alleviate most of your Dragon / Fighting issues already (but again, opposing Latios can run Thunderbolt, you lose to Cube with Ice Beam / Fusion Bolt, and Terrakion, Breloom, and Conkeldurr all commonly run moves that are SE against Togekiss).

You can make do without Togekiss for more offensive presence and use something like Breloom who helps your Bisharp / Chansey issues with some much needed physicality. Mach Punch is also very nice because having a team whose fastest Pokemon is base 110 means that Greninja, whether or not you have resistances to it, is annoying to face as it guarantees that you need to tank a hit in order to deal damage back. At least with Breloom you can score a Mach Punch and make some threatening moves, and it also has Spore / Rock Tomb to deter switch-ins.

I would also consider running a straight-up offensive Air Balloon Heatran because Excadrill does a number to this team especially if you've already mega evolved your Gyarados. It's free to Earthquake spam with Mold Breaker and even if you're running Togekiss, there's no way that your Togekiss can even threaten Excadrill. Air Balloon Heatran is also nice against Zard X that run EQ, SubToxic Gliscor and Landorus to name a few. Again, the team is gravitating offensively, and this Heatran change reflects this. I'd just run Modest 252/252 as it still lets you outspeed Gliscor--a lot of players I see on the ladder apparently don't know this and it's pretty depressing considering that offensive Heatran was and still is a beast in this metagame.

Heatran@Air Balloon
modest 252 satk / 252 spe / 4 hp
Fire Blast / Ancientpower / Earth Power / SR

Breloom@Focus Sash
jolly 252 atk / 252 spe / 4 def
Bullet Seed / Spore / Rock Tomb / Mach Punch

Thanks for the reply Plus! It's true, this team does seem to be gravitating offensively. Breloom seems nice, I'll try it out, but with offensive Heatran, my team is more of bulky offense, right? I'll test it and come back to you with some results.

So I was trying out Breloom and the new Heatran set. I must say, Heatran was really working his iron rear off. He was doing pretty well with that set, thanks for that. However, Breloom wasn't really pulling his weight. I'm going to test him out a bit more, but if nothing changes, I'm going to take him off, and maybe test Clefable. He just wasn't doing it for me.

Ok, so I was testing those sets out, Plus. I said that Breloom wasn't doing that much earlier, but having done more battles, he is an amazing answer to Hyper Offense teams. Deoxys-D can't do anything to it, and Bullet Seed does enough that any of my mons can KO it after Red Card. He's amazing against Keldeo (with sash still up) and Bisharp, knocking them out completely. He hasn't done much against Chansey though, and to kill it I usually have set up a few DD's with Gyara to take it out. Also, I changed Heatran's Fire Blast to Lava Plume; the accuracy and PP just wasn't working for me, and Lava Plume has that nifty 30% burn chance too. I'll test just a few more battles before permanently adding Breloom on my team, and changing Heatran's set, but both are really doing well.

Never mind, just got to 1700, but can't seem to edit the photo into the previous message I put. Technology ;-;
upload_2014-5-6_17-52-56.png

Edit: Thanks Nog. Can't believe I didn't think of that first. -.-

Last edited:
Even if you cannot edit the message, you can just delete it and repost the edited version. Only telling you so you don't clutter up your thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)