Dual-Weather Team

In my short time being a part of the Smogon community, I have learned that weather is important to the game. So, I wanted a team that could switch between weathers easily, fluently, and without problems, while keeping one of the damaging weathers always active. In short, I wanted a reliable weather team that can make no enemy team quite comfortable under any circumstance.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Fang
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Now then, Let's start! Tyranitar, the sand setup of my team, is easily going to be one of my starters. Obviously, Smooth Rock / Sand Stream set. First turn, Pursuit(if I think the enemy is going to switch because he was unprepared) or Stealth Rock(if I think he isn't). After that, I go for a Thunder Fang as by then the enemy is prepared for Tyranitar and has normally sent out some sort of threat to him. Skarmory and Gastrodon(I just switched to Abomasnow and Wood Hammer'd him) I have already run into. I then, generally, switch out to another on my team to prevent more damage to Tyranitar. Earthquake is the later-game move, present mostly for coverage.

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Iron Head

Obvious choice to complement the Sandstorm of my Tyranitar. My first sweeper, accompanied by his Earthquake/Outrage/Fire Fang set for a damaging coverage. I threw in Iron Head to deal with pesky Fairy-types. I used a Garchompite for a boost to his stats, but I'm thinking of switching it to leftovers to deal with the damage of sweeping. Nothing out of the ordinary other than that, but a powerhouse nonetheless.

Abomasnow @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed

The secondary starter of my team, Abomasnow! Leech Seed turn 1, and head to whatever I feel like from there. Wood Hammer and Ice Shard normally make their appearance at that time, but I did get a surprise Flamethrower to the face Turn 1 from a Slowbro one time. That was an aggravating moment, but made me more careful around Slowbros. Earthquake is present purely for type coverage. Same as Tyranitar, I try to switch him out to preserve health around turn 3.

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond / Hail
- Weather Ball
- Spikes
- Shadow Ball

My icy princess here is the Hail-abuser of my team. Still not sure if I want Destiny Bond or Hail on her yet, on the one hand, her frailty comes in handy with Destiny Bond, but Hail is just so important for the team in general... ANYWAY, turn 1 I use Spikes, and from there I use Weather Ball(if Hail is still active) or Shadow Ball(if otherwise) or Destiny Bond(if her health really dropped from that first turn)... She's got a pretty suicidal setup, but she can really put a dent in a team.

Aurorus @ Leftovers
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Toxic
- Sandstorm / Protect
- Hail / Substitute

Typing makes this guy GREAT for my dual-weather team. Unfortunately, this is where choices became difficult to make. See, I know I want Hyper Beam(Ice-type with Refrigerate, gains STAB and possible Hail bonus) and Toxic(for the annoying few that can make it through both of my weather conditions and a STAB Hyper Beam to the face) but past that, I wasn't sure if I wanted a stall or another weather setup. I originally had the stall planned, but decided I needed another weather-changer for consistency. So I wasn't sure where to go from there. Also, he's the only one on my team capable of learning BOTH of the weathers that I'm abusing, so he can be my last resort if Tyranitar/Abomasnow faints before they are needed again. Additionally, he can be an unexpected starter with this setup, and throw off a few teams. I currently have a weather setup for him, but am still indecisive. To be honest, Aurorus here is one of the main reasons that I decided to ask for opinions on this team...

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Substitute

SURPRISE! If all hits the fan, I have a late-game sweeper set up for everything remaining! Magic Guard can let him hold Life Orb so that I don't have to use a turn with Calm Mind, and he takes no extra damage during his sweep. Plus in a weather team, it gives him protection from dying a death unsuited for a weather team if he needs to come out before the final sweep.

Last edited:
Your entire team is scizor weak. Scizor KOs alakazam with bug bite, aurorus, abomasnow, tyranitar, and frosslass with bullet punch. NEVER use focus band. focus sash is always better unless you're trolling. Focus sash on frosslass, also, I would recommend changing aurorus, who doesn't have much to offer your team(weak to common priority and virtually all common attacking types) besides dual weather, which ensures you'll always have a dead move with gliscor. Gliscor has poison heal to heal off the hail, is immune to sandstorm, is bulky enough to take hits from scizor, and can hit it hard back with an earthquake. Also, gliscor gives your team a bulky pivot which can switch in on physical attacks (bar the rare ice punch) with ease. Gliscor over aurorus

OOPS! Didn't even realize I put Band on Froslass instead of Sash. My bad. -Fixed.

Swap out Aurorus, huh? Well, I was skeptical about using Aurorus, anyway. Ice-Type Hyper Beam and Toxic helps very little against the common Steel-type. And it IS weak against common types. (Fighting and Steel are 4x and Water and Ground are way too common...) I had a Mamoswine in that spot before Gen6, and wondered about changing it back. Gliscor is an excellent suggestion, and I will change that out. -Fixed.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hail isnt very good so I would recommend scrapping hail and just go all out sand with hippo and ttar. But if you want dual weather, first you need something that hits big pokebank threats like genesect and azumaril hard. So I could recommend using special defensive heatran to keep genesect away and rotom-Wash/Mow or gastrodon to stop azumaril aqua jet spam.

You will also need a spinner to keep you hail abusers healthy. Excadrill is the best spinner available being able to defeat aeigslash and gengar 1 on 1 but fortress has overcoat to avoid damage in either weather. Hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)