VGC Electric Terrain Team

Introduction
This is my first VGC Team and I would like to get feedback. The team is built around using the electric terrain to my advantage which boost electric attacks by 1.5, wakes up Pokemon, and prevents the Pokemon from falling asleep. I hope this team isn't to bad.

The Team

Tapu Koko @ 'Lum Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 S Atk/ 252 S Def
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Protect
-Hidden Power Ice

The fastest Tapu in that meta that also sets up electric terrain and it's own Terrain makes it a threat to be wrecken with and is the fast special sweeper of the team. It's good at dealing with Pheromosa, Toaxpex, and Mantine.

Pelipper @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
Evs: 252 HP/ 132 Sp A/ 124 Spe
Modest Nature
-Scald
-Hurricane
-Tailwind
-Wide Guard

It helps set up rain which helps Koko deal more damage, supports itself with it's ability, and it helps supports the rest of the team with Tailwind or Wide Guard. By itself it's decent due to the buff it got on this gen and it helps deal with Rocks/Ground types, that hurt Koko, Sandstorm teams, and Bulu with Hurricane.

Celestella @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
Evs: 252 HP/ 252 Satk/ 4 Sdef
Modest Nature
-Flash Cannon
-Air Slash/Flamethrower
-Leech Seed
-Protect

It's my favorite Ultra Beast and it's a staple in almost any team due to how tanky it is and how versatile it is. On my team I use it as Offensive threat that is a good counter against the Tapus and walls about everything (especially Fire moves). Potentially if I leave my rain for too long on the field it can really hurt from electric moves. I am on the fence on if I use Air Slash (which helps against Bulu) or Flamethrower ( Which helps against Bulu and other opposing Celestella though it deals less damage under rain).

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Ability:Rough Skin
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Protect

Good for dealing with Electric Pokemon that try to take advantage of my electric terrain, Marowak Alola Form with Lightning Rod, Gengar, Steel types, and other Dragon types. It's also good at dealing pressure against physical attackers with Rough Skin.

Pheromosa @ Focus Slash
Ability: Beast Boost
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
-Lunge
-Jump Kick
-Ice Beam
-Poison Jab

The fastest Ultra Beast in VGC17 and is manly used to sweep after I worn down op due to how frail it's HP is and has coverage for about anything. It's moves have about coverage for almost anything and once it gets it's Beast Boost off it's gg.

Persian A @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Fur Coat
Evs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Fake Out
-Foul Play
-Parting Shot
-Taunt
It's another good fast Pokemon that's good at dealing with Physical attackers with it's ability Fur Coat, Rocky Helmet, and threatens them with Parting Shot and Foul Play. It's also good a good counter against Marowak Alola Lightning Rod and taking our slower Pokemon with Taunt.

Conclusion
This is my first attempt at a VGC team and I am new to modern Pokemon. I am not sure if I want to use this team or a Grassy Terrain team. Let me know your thoughts on my team and any changes I should make.

Last edited:
hey friendo. i'm gonna keep this short since i'm on mobile but i wanted to give your team a quick rate.

at first glance this looks like a generally solid build. it's a pretty standard tapu koko + pelipper offense that's been seeing a lot of usage so far. however, some of your sets are sub optimal. on tapu koko i'd change lum berry to life orb and either dazzling gleam or volt switch to hidden power ice. life orb boosts tapu koko's otherwise underwheling base 95 special attack stat and hidden power ice gives you vital coverage to OHKO the likes of garchomp and salamence and such. your pelipper set looks fine, although you could run hydro pump over scald for increased damage output, albeit at the risk of missing. it's honestly up to you. as for celesteela, i'd definetly recommend flamethrower over air slash since it lets you win in a mirror match up versus another celesteela. on garchomp imo focus sash is the best set but if you'd rather give sash to phermosa then yache berry is fine to take at least one hidden power ice. i would recommend, though, that you change rock slide to poison jab. rock coverage isn't that great this year since talonflame has fallen out of usage and charizard isn't legal. poison coverage is great for damaging the fairy-types that are running rampant through the meta. finally, i'd suggest protect over u-turn on phermosa. protect is a necessary for preventing fake out from breaking your sash and leaving you vulnerable. it's also super beneficial for stalling out things such as field conditions and the like. u-turn seems unnecessary since you already have a bug stab in the form of lunge.

i'd recommend you change celesteela's ev spread to a bulkier one but i don't have any on hand atm. your team is also quite weak to opposing tapu koko, so i'd either suggest you swap persian for a mon that checks it or give phermosa a naughty nature and expert belt so you can surprise it. that would then allow you to run focus sash on garchomp. idk if you want to change up your team structure that much so just take my advice with a grain of salt.

for future reference your RMT must have longer explanations for your team choices. i'd recommend you thoroughly read the rules first before posting another RMT.

good luck!

hey friendo. i'm gonna keep this short since i'm on mobile but i wanted to give your team a quick rate.

at first glance this looks like a generally solid build. it's a pretty standard tapu koko + pelipper offense that's been seeing a lot of usage so far. however, some of your sets are sub optimal. on tapu koko i'd change lum berry to life orb and either dazzling gleam or volt switch to hidden power ice. life orb boosts tapu koko's otherwise underwheling base 95 special attack stat and hidden power ice gives you vital coverage to OHKO the likes of garchomp and salamence and such. your pelipper set looks fine, although you could run hydro pump over scald for increased damage output, albeit at the risk of missing. it's honestly up to you. as for celesteela, i'd definetly recommend flamethrower over air slash since it lets you win in a mirror match up versus another celesteela. on garchomp imo focus sash is the best set but if you'd rather give sash to phermosa then yache berry is fine to take at least one hidden power ice. i would recommend, though, that you change rock slide to poison jab. rock coverage isn't that great this year since talonflame has fallen out of usage and charizard isn't legal. poison coverage is great for damaging the fairy-types that are running rampant through the meta. finally, i'd suggest protect over u-turn on phermosa. protect is a necessary for preventing fake out from breaking your sash and leaving you vulnerable. it's also super beneficial for stalling out things such as field conditions and the like. u-turn seems unnecessary since you already have a bug stab in the form of lunge.

i'd recommend you change celesteela's ev spread to a bulkier one but i don't have any on hand atm. your team is also quite weak to opposing tapu koko, so i'd either suggest you swap persian for a mon that checks it or give phermosa a naughty nature and expert belt so you can surprise it. that would then allow you to run focus sash on garchomp. idk if you want to change up your team structure that much so just take my advice with a grain of salt.

for future reference your RMT must have longer explanations for your team choices. i'd recommend you thoroughly read the rules first before posting another RMT.

good luck!
I do run Volt Switch already and Hidden Power Ice would help opposing Garchomps and other Grounds/Flyings types. I like Scald over Hydro Pump due to the chance of it burning a Pokemon and I did try Poison Jab at one point on Garchomp but I find that it is rarely enough to take out a Fairy expect for Bulu. Rock Slide is good at dealing with a few people that run flying types that is not Celsteela and has a chance to flinch both opposing team members. I already run U-Turn on Pheromosa and I don't know what to take out Protect? The reason I don't use a more bulkier EV spread is to make it more aggressive and if I were to use a bulkier EV spread it probably look like this EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD. I thought the explantion was long enough and its kinda hard to make a longer explantion with newer mons but I will try.

good luck!
I wanna note this one down: Tapu Koko's HP Ice is absolute trash and fails to OHKO Garchomp, even with Life Orb. However, there are better options for 3rd slot (which is where Volt Switch is at rn), but Volt Switch may help against teams with other Tapus, so you can reset the terrain. I'll do a more detailed review once I have time. Solid team, by the way! The Tapu Koko weakness is indeed something you have to fix, since when Garchomp is gone your team dies to it.

I wanna note this one down: Tapu Koko's HP Ice is absolute trash and fails to OHKO Garchomp, even with Life Orb. However, there are better options for 3rd slot (which is where Volt Switch is at rn), but Volt Switch may help against teams with other Tapus, so you can reset the terrain.
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 120-143 (65.5 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 166-198 (90.7 - 108.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 133-156 (77.7 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 177-208 (103.5 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yes, admittedly HP Ice isn't super reliable against Garchomp (especially since Sash and Yache Berry are pretty common) but Dazzling Gleam doesn't even have a chance to OHKO. HP Ice does, however, let you reliably KO Salamence and get decent chip damage on Grass-types and others. Imo HP Ice is better than Dazzling Gleam because of its superior coverage and the fact that Dazzling Gleam is pretty weak after factoring in spread reduction.

I do run Volt Switch already and Hidden Power Ice would help opposing Garchomps and other Grounds/Flyings types...I did try Poison Jab at one point on Garchomp but I find that it is rarely enough to take out a Fairy expect for Bulu. Rock Slide is good at dealing with a few people that run flying types that is not Celsteela and has a chance to flinch both opposing team members. I already run U-Turn on Pheromosa and I don't know what to take out Protect?
I think either I wasn't clear enough or you miss read what I typed, cause you said that you are already running Volt Switch, although I actually suggested that you may want to replace Volt Switch and make it Hidden Power Ice. Similarly, I was suggesting you ought to remove U-turn from your set and add Protect, for reasons which I explained in my first post. Also, there really aren't any relevant Flying-types this year in VGC besides Celesteela, so Poison Jab is better coverage imo. Just because Poison Jab doesn't straight up OHKO all Fairy-types doesn't mean it isn't good, cause if the opposing Fairy-type has been weakened by a teammate you can pick it off.

so i'd either suggest you swap persian for a mon that checks it or give phermosa a naughty nature and expert belt so you can surprise it
I noticed a made a pretty big typo here, I meant to say "give Phermosa a Naughty Nature, Expert Belt, and Poison Jab" so you can check opposing Tapu Koko. Although you don't necessarily have to make that change, I thought I ought to clarify what I actually meant. Sorry about that, I was on my phone writing this so I didn't notice.

In conclusion, your team is still rather weak to Tapu Koko. I'd definitely advise you try to try to patch that up. If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them, just let me know!

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 120-143 (65.5 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 166-198 (90.7 - 108.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 133-156 (77.7 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 177-208 (103.5 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yes, admittedly HP Ice isn't super reliable against Garchomp (especially since Sash and Yache Berry are pretty common) but Dazzling Gleam doesn't even have a chance to OHKO. HP Ice does, however, let you reliably KO Salamence and get decent chip damage on Grass-types and others. Imo HP Ice is better than Dazzling Gleam because of its superior coverage and the fact that Dazzling Gleam is pretty weak after factoring in spread reduction.

I think either I wasn't clear enough or you miss read what I typed, cause you said that you are already running Volt Switch, although I actually suggested that you may want to replace Volt Switch and make it Hidden Power Ice. Similarly, I was suggesting you ought to remove U-turn from your set and add Protect, for reasons which I explained in my first post. Also, there really aren't any relevant Flying-types this year in VGC besides Celesteela, so Poison Jab is better coverage imo. Just because Poison Jab doesn't straight up OHKO all Fairy-types doesn't mean it isn't good, cause if the opposing Fairy-type has been weakened by a teammate you can pick it off.

I noticed a made a pretty big typo here, I meant to say "give Phermosa a Naughty Nature, Expert Belt, and Poison Jab" so you can check opposing Tapu Koko. Although you don't necessarily have to make that change, I thought I ought to clarify what I actually meant. Sorry about that, I was on my phone writing this so I didn't notice.

In conclusion, your team is still rather weak to Tapu Koko. I'd definitely advise you try to try to patch that up. If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them, just let me know!
Actually it probably be best if I removed Dazzling Gleam for Hidden Power Ice to KO opposing Garchomps and I usually try to have Garchomp not faced a fairly due to the fact it's going to lose against it 90% of the time and usually lose the game. Flying types are still used a bit (Salamance, Talonflame,Dragonite, and occasionally Aerodactyl) and outside of that it has a chance to flinch both team mates.

I made a few changes for Pheromosa
Replaced U Turn with Poison Jab and High Jump Kick with Jump Kick. Though I might considering taking out due to how frail it is and is probably best used in singles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)