Electrode

#101 Electrode

Move over Smugleaf, here's the real king of assery. I'm not entirely sure whether this is even worth mentioning, but Electrode got some very nice STAB moves from 5th Gen, such as Electra Ball and Volt Change, as well as a nice ability in Aftermath, making him more trolly than ever before. It's a big shame that it can't be triggered by Explosion, but at least it'll give Life Orb sets more punch and it deals some nice damage to Goruggu, who is immune to both Electra Ball and Explosion.

Type: Electric
BST: 480
Base Stats: 60 / 50 / 70 / 80 / 80 / 140
Abilities: Static, Soundproof, Aftermath (Dream World)

Moves

-- Charge
Lv5: Tackle
Lv8: Sonicboom
Lv12: Spark
Lv15: Rollout
Lv19: Screech
Lv22: Charge Beam
Lv26: Light Screen
Lv29: Electra Ball
Lv35: Selfdestruct
Lv40: Swift
Lv46: Magnet Rise
Lv51: Gyro Ball (lol)
Lv57: Explosion
Lv62: Mirror Coat

Toxic
Hidden Power
Taunt
Hyper Beam
Protect
Rain Dance
Frustration
Thunderbolt
Thunder

Return
Torment
Facade
Rest
Thief
Troll (well obviously :P)
Giga Impact
Flash
Volt Change
Thunder Wave
Swagger
Substitute
Wild Bolt

Whilst Electrode hasn't gained any movepool options to make up for his lackluster coverage, his choice in Electric STABs is excellent, and Electrode is one of the best pokémon in the game to abuse the new Electra Ball thanks to a very impressive speed stat. Presuming it works like Gyro Ball in terms of damage, it can eventually max out to 150 BP, giving Electrode a much needed boost in power, given its somewhat lackluster SpA. Volt Change is also extremely nice, giving Electrode the ability to scout not unlike Scarf Flygon, admittedly with a lot more drawbacks. It's certainly a helpful move for finishing weak opponents, since it packs a little more punch than Flygon's U Turn, but it also gets much better offensive coverage, as well as STAB. The main problem is that Ground types / Volt Absorbers can come in with ease, should they predict a scout. This makes running the appropriate Hidden Power almost vital on Choice sets, so you can quickly KO these threats with some good prediction. As stated before, Aftermath is also nice on Electrode, giving him more freedom against physical Ghosts and also giving him a change at revenging Priority users. At the very least it's better than Static.

Possible Sets

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 Atk, 252 SpA, 252 Speed
Nature: Hasty
~ Electra Ball / Thunderbolt
~ Explosion
~ Taunt
/ Volt Change
~ Hidden Power Water / Hidden Power Ice

Assuming Electra Ball isn't going to require opponents to be Trick-Room-slow to deal more damage than Thunderbolt, a max speed Electrode will be able to deal some quite nice damage, helping to bolster Electrode's SpA outside of Rain. Paralysis support from a teammate can be very helpful, almost guaranteeing that Electra Ball will reach 150 BP once the opponent's Speed is quartered. Other than that, the standard set for Life orb is as good as ever (or it would be if it had a decent movepool, or SpA) with Taunt being useful against Stall or a boosting opponent. However, it's not as necessary as it was for the lead set, and thus you can swap it for Volt Change if you'd prefer the ability to scout. Beware, however, that this set screams for luring in Ground types, so Volt Change shouldn't be your option at the start of a game. Hidden Power Water is pretty much necessary to dent Steelix, Doryuuzu and Goroggu on the switch, and good prediction can often lead you to 2HKOing them with ease. Only Volt Change once you've lured out their go-to immunity. Hidden Power Ice is also a good option, scoring super effective hits on the remaining ground types, as well as Dragons such as Altaria and Dragonite. Explosion is obligatory on an Electrode set, letting you revenge with your final breath, as well as lure out Ghost types.

Btw, it's worth mentioning that Thunder outclasses Electra Ball most of the time in the Rain, thanks to the paralysis rate and consistent damage.

Electrode @ Choice Specs
~ Electra Ball / Thunder
~
Hidden Power Water / Hidden Power Ice
~ Volt Change
~ Explosion / Signal Beam

Pretty similar to the last set, except it tries to further remedy Electrode's SpA problems whilst cutting down its options. Good prediction is absolutely necessary on this set, given the number of switch-in opportunities it presents. Although you might be tempted to run Choice Scarf to boost Electra Ball, don't. The 50% boost you get from Specs will almost certainly beat the power boost you get from a increased speed, and it boosts the power of other moves as well. This set also works very well in rain, with Thunder standing on for Electra Ball and HP Water getting a nice 50% boost. It's worth noting that Specs HP Water in the rain will destroy Shanderaa, who might want to switch in on Explosion, and stands a much better chance it OHKOing specially bulky grounds, rocks and fires. Volt Change lets you scout like Scarf Flygon, but with much more power and slightly less speed.

And now for the most trolltastic set ever!

Electrode @ Focus Sash
EVs: 80 HP, 252 Atk, 176 Speed
~ Taunt
~
Mirror Coat
~ Explosion
~ Swagger / Electra Ball

Okay, this is ridiculously bad, but I'm just having fun. This is meant to be a lead of some description. Taunt anything that tries to set up or Taunt you, and either Mirror Coat special attackers, surviving with your Focus Sash and OHKOing them, or Swagger physical attackers and hope for confusion (note, Electra Ball can be used for consistency, but decreases this set's epic troll factor) If you manage to take out a special attacker or, lol, a physical one, rinse and repeat until your Focus Sash breaks, and Explode on the switch in. With any luck, you'll have managed to kill 2 of your opponent's pokes /and/ kept hazards off the field! That is, if you're delusional, actually went ahead with this, and your opponent was a toilet brush.

Honestly, these new moves probably aren't enough to pull him out of NU, but they at least give him a little more utility in the lower tiers.

I dont think Electrode is filling any special niches this gen if u ask me...I mean Electra ball may seem cool but if its like Gyro ball then its probably not getting over 40-50 base any time soon...Thing is its quite easy to go 0 Ivs in Speed with 30 base and basicly have 4 times less speed then everything but its quite hard the other way around...Thunderbolt is deffinetly the way to go unless the mechanics are differant for electra ball...And i dont think we'l be running many Rain Dance inducing leads this gen anyway.....
I may always be wrong tho :o.

I dont think Electrode is filling any special niches this gen if u ask me...I mean Electra ball may seem cool but if its like Gyro ball then its probably not getting over 40-50 base any time soon...Thing is its quite easy to go 0 Ivs in Speed with 30 base and basicly have 4 times less speed then everything but its quite hard the other way around...Thunderbolt is deffinetly the way to go unless the mechanics are differant for electra ball...And i dont think we'l be running many Rain Dance inducing leads this gen anyway.....
I may always be wrong tho :o.
I agree; I really hope that the Electra Ball formula takes this inherent difficulty into account. As stated, I highly doubt that Electrode will break UU, or even NU, so it will still have a niche as a rain-lead in the lower tiers, where Politoed and Ninetales will presumably be elevated from.

first post said:
Possible Sets

Electrode @ Choice Specs
~ Electra Ball / Thunder
~
Hidden Power Water / Hidden Power Ice
~ Volt Change
~ Explosion / Signal Beam

Signal beam and Aftermath can't be used together...

I was thinking someting like this though:

Electrode @ Life Orb
Timid: (252 SA, 252 Speed, 4 ???)
Aftermath

-Electra ball
-Volt Change
-HP Ice/Water
-Magnet Rise? (lol, he's not Bulky enough, but still) / Swift (swift is the only other special move possible) / Taunt/Mirror coat

i only really see electra ball being strong when used alongside paralysis support, and to me, it seems electrode would be better giving paralysis than taking advantage of it

Meh, Explosion nerf sucks for it, Drizzletoed outclasses it at setting rain[/understatement]

Specstrode actually looks pretty cool, but that measly ten base isn't doing much compared to Jolteon's 30 more SpA.

...Except outspeeding +1 Gyarados...

Electrode is the bomb (pun definitely intended). He is easily the best lead I've ever used, and is so good in fact that I am still using him after 2 generations.

Electrode@ Focus Sash
Static
Timid|252 Spe|252 SpA

-Taunt
-Thunder Wave
-HP Ice
-Electra Ball

Outspeeding pretty much every Pokemon bar Deoxys-S (cause Ninjask and Aerodactyl never run max speed), Taunt ensures any set up is stopped cold. Static takes advantage of Fake Out, and flinch and flee types like Ambipom and Kojondo, meaning if they Fake Out then U- Turn there is a 60% chance they'll be paralysed. Oh, and Twave does the job anyway. Electra Ball with Paralysis support and Electrodes speed means it hurts, a lot. HP Ice rounds out the coverage, giving a pseudo BoltBeam combo.

Basically guaranteed to paralyse 2 Pokemon, at least. Sure, it suffers more this gen because of Magic Mirror Espeon and Erufuun, but what lead doesn't?

Bulbapedia said:
Base power is calculated as follows:
  • 150 base power, if target's speed is lower or equal to ¼ (25%) of user's speed.
  • 120 base power, if target's speed is greater than ¼ (25%) of user's speed and lower or equal to ⅓ (33%) of user's speed.
  • 80 base power, if target's speed is greater than ⅓ (33%) of user's speed and lower or equal to ½ (50%) of user's speed.
  • 60 base power, if target's speed is greater than ½ (50%) of user's speed.
Electra Ball will always have at least 60 BP, and if Electrode is faster than an opponent normally, Electra Ball hits that paralyzed opponent for 150 BP. However, to be more powerful than Thunder, if Electrode runs max speed (416) then the opponent has to have 104 speed or less (paralyzed, base 34 speed or less, and minimum speed for Gyro Ball and/or Trick Room are the only good excuses for having such low speed). To be more powerful than Thunderbolt, the opponent still has to be ridiculously slow, at 138 speed or less (0 speed EV 31 IV neutral nature base 51 pokemon).

BoltBeam kinda sucks more this generation with the new immunities and resistances from dream world abilities and 2 rotom forms resisting.

I thought of an agility set to abuse Electra Ball and have (some)power with Mild/LO (albeit gimmicky set)

Electrode@Life Orb
Aftermath
Mild
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Agility
Electra Ball
HP Ice
Explosion

After one Agility, Electra Ball will have base power of:
150 against 185 or slower
120 against between 185 and 252
80 against between 252 and 379
60 against 379 or higher

I thought of an agility set to abuse Electra Ball and have (some)power with Mild/LO (albeit gimmicky set)

Electrode@Life Orb
Aftermath
Mild
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Agility
Electra Ball
HP Ice
Explosion

After one Agility, Electra Ball will have base power of:
150 against 185 or slower
120 against between 185 and 252
80 against between 252 and 379
60 against 379 or higher
Thunder Wave is superior to Agility imo, since paralysis support will be useful to all of your teammates, not just electrode. It also nets a better chance of 150 base power against normally fast opponents.

Eh, Electrode needs an evolution. He's still very fast at setting up rain in the lower tiers where Drizzle doesn't exist, so he's still got that niche...although it's too bad Explosion really sucks now.

Electra Ball is probably the most viable it will ever get when used on Electrode, but even then it doesn't seem worth it, especially when you can just use Thunder in the rain.

The only really good things Electrode got here were Volt Change and Aftermath. And even then, if the foe kills you with a non-contact move, you've wasted an Ability slot. ElecBall is just not consistently useful, since a lot of Pokes try to be fast. Thunderbolt is the best option overall.

In order to keep it down (as if it was necessary at all), its precious Explosion got nerfed, and now it's not killing anything worthwhile. Not with THAT Attack.

yep...electra ball while handy, won't serve much if electrode is used as a lead (which it serves best as) because most people tend to use fast leads who either a) strike hard b) set up hazards c) taunt. this means the the bp of electra ball usually will not always be 150. However, this applies to OU whereas in UU, you'll get more juice out of electra ball.

Really, aside from volt change making him a decent enough scout with that blazing speed (though agiruda outclasses him at that as well), he really just got beaten hard this generation. Poor electrode, unless auto weather gets banned from the lower tiers (if they come out at some point), he probably wont see the light of day much

Considering Explosion's uber nerf he now sucks at getting rain up, even in UU. Not to mention Gen 4 Trode worked like Ninjask, its so easy to use, that if you are skilled enough you would know what to do. I had eaten a couple of rain teams by having my Breloom Focus Punch their asses right away on their Taunt(and since they carry Damp Rock, eh...)

Perhaps we can wait until UU is open, then re-do this analysis. Trode doesn't look like its going to rock in OU, especially with the fact that Zapdos got a new toy to troll the entire metagame with as the premier Electric-type, even if its illegal with Heat Wave/Roost. :|

Also Electra Ball, unlike Gyro Ball, is utter crap(no pun with THAT), since most leads are ridiculously fast, and the slower leads have bulk to make up for it.

(On a side note, his entire moveset aside from Rollout(LOL), Mirror Coat(LOL), Gyro Ball(LOL!!!) and Hidden Power is walled to death by Goruggo. Of which, Rollout and Gyro Ball just suck, Mirror Coat doesn't make use of Trode's speed, rather expecting him to still have his better-than-smugleaf-look upon eating a special attack. If you ever NEED Hidden Power just not to get walled by something, then you jolly well have the stats to make up for it, which Trode doesn't VERY unfortunately.)

Electrode @ Shuca Berry.
255 HP / 255 Spe.
Calm Nature.
-Swagger
-Light Screen
-Charge Beam
-Thunder Wave

Electrode is an amazing ParaFusion user because its ridiculous Speed will help it go first. Swagger and Thunder Wave are the basis for this set, and I suggest using Swagger first. If its "Confuse-Meter" runs out, use Swagger again. Light Screen is used for protecting Electrode from its average Sp. Def, and Charge Beam is the STAB attack that you can use to do some other damage besides Swagger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)