Monotype Errors.

Introduction:

Hi. I'm terrors, a monotype player. I decided to RMT a team that I created a few months ago featuring Torterra for a 'core challenge' (here). The team gave me immediate success on the ladder and allowed me to win the challenge quite easily. Another reason behind my motivation to RMT a team was because of July being my Monotype 1 year anniversary. Monotype grew on to me very quickly after being invited to it by Fractions. and is easily my favourite OM now. I can continue on about how much fun it is but this isn't the place for that.
Teambuilding Process:
The 'challenge core' required me to use Seismitoad (
) and Torterra (
). Seismitoad is a staple on almost all of my offensive ground teams as an Assault Vest user. Torterra, however, was a much more uncommon Pokemon and I was at a loss to decide which set I wanted to run. My initial thought after seeing the core was that the team was going to be an offensive one, and I could see Scarf Torterra being a decent option on it to check Pokemon like Keldeo and Manaphy. Yet at the same time, I could not think of a viable way to fit in both Seismitoad and Torterra on an offensive sand ground team. Instead, I thought about it a bit and went for a non-sand ground with Torterra substituting for Hippowdon, being able to set up Stealth Rock, phase out Pokemon with Roar, have reliable recovery (although with unfortunately low PP) and be able to switch in to Pokemon like Azumarill, Breloom and Mega Gyarados that ground normally has trouble with. I liked the idea and went along with it immediately. Next, I needed an offensive core that could rely on this defensive backbone. I went for Mamoswine (
) to have a solid win condition vs Dragon-, Flying-, and Grass-type teams. Choice Band lets me hit as hard as I can and create extreme pressure on Grass-, and Flying-type teams when choosing what to switch in. Another benefit that Manoswine provides is its priority Ice Shard and the Choice Band set makes full use of that providing a late-game cleaner after the opposing team has been worn out. Adding a Mega Evolution was my next plan. Mega-Camerupt seemed like the perfect fit, seeing as it could destroy Grass-type teams and help in the Ice matchup a lot. It also provided a special wallbreaker which my team lacked. But after putting in a bit of thought, I ended up going for Mega-Garchomp (
) instead. My team was becoming extremely slow and much bulkier than I expected / wanted. Mixed Mega-Garchomp could add a lot of speed, being able to outspeed and OHKO Mega-Charizard-Y which could destroy the defensive core. It also successfully annihilates Flying-type's defensive core of Skarmory and Zapdos between Stone Edge and Fire Blast. By now, my physical / special situation was getting out of hand even with mixed Mega-Garchomp so I decided to add Rock Polish Landorus-I (
). It works as a special wallbreaker especially with its wide coverage as well as a Rock Polish set up sweeper that helps greatly in the Psychic-, and Fighting-type matchup. For my last Pokemon, I decided to go for a Choice Scarf user. My two initial options were Excadrill and Krookodile. Krookodile helps vs the Psychic-type matchup a lot and is a very dangerous sweeper with Moxie and its decently good speed coupled with a Choice Scarf. Excadrill on the other hand provides Steel-type coverage which my team lacked and Rapid Spin support that I had no other means of, meaning that Spikes stack teams would have an easy time beating my team. Unfortunately, Choice Scarf Excadrill betrayed my expectations brutally. As tempting as the Rapid Spin support was, I decided to forgo it for the much more needed power that Krookodile (
) provided me. With that, I ended up with a pretty good offensive core that could cover as many types as it could in my opinion, backed up with the defensive core to sponge hits and create opportunities for the offensive core to come in.

In-Depth Analysis:

hollow (Torterra) @ Leftovers

Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis
- Roar
- Seed Bomb

The star of the show and the MVP of the team, Torterra is an extremely underrated physical wall, almost always outshined by Hippowdon. Yet it's superior typing allows it to check Water-types such as Azumarill, Mega-Gyarados, Crawdaunt etc. a lot better as well as being able to completely counter Breloom and be able to force mind games with specs Keldeo (eating up a Secret Sword very easily). Its amazing physical bulk coupled with decently high HP stat makes it a very reliable Stealth Rock user and a switch in to pretty much every unboosted non-ice type physical hit. Synthesis provides recovery which is necessary for a bulky Pokemon like Torterra while Roar beats set up sweepers that try to set up on it such as Swords Dance Breloom, Tail Glow Manaphy, Dragon Dance Dragonite, Belly Drum Azumarill etc. Seed Bomb is the STAB move I opted for to hit Water-types that trouble the team for Super Effective damage. Torterra also proves itself to be very helpful in the Ground vs Ground matchup, being able to wall Choice Banded Excadrill, which is a very common set and hitting Gastrodon/Seismitoad for Super Effective damage. Ice-type moves, however, can quickly finish Torterra because of its x4 weakness and its mediocre special bulk holds it back. Torterra's EVs allow it to make full use of its physical bulk with 252/252+ HP/Defense.

shinigami (Seismitoad) @ Assault Vest

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot

Seismitoad was the second part of the 'challenge core' and was therefore a necessity to the team. Even if it were not, I would have likely added it anyway. Between its excellent coverage, Water Absorb ability, decent Special Attack and its synergy with Torterra, it is a perfect fit on the team. It takes up the special attacks that Torterra fears and forces mindgames vs Keldeo with Torterra. Scald is a decently strong STAB Water-type move with a helpful 30% chance to burn that can turn a big threat into a completely useless Pokemon. Earth Power is secondary STAB, stronger than Scald in case damage is more important than the chance to burn. Sludge Wave helps vs Grass-, and Fairy-types especially Azumarill which can threaten the team with a Belly Drum up. Grass Knot hits Water-types that it usually manages to wall. The specific speed EVs allow Seismitoad to hit 230 speed, outspeeding max speed Jolly Azumarill and max speed Jolly Crawdaunt. The rest of the EVs are divided between HP and Special Attack to hit as hard as it can and make use of its excellent coverage.

quincy (Mamoswine) @ Choice Band

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

One of the main things that hold Torterra back is its x4 weakness to Ice-type moves. Unfortunately, Seismitoad's neutrality is nowhere near enough to be able to switch in to physical Ice-type moves which is where Mamoswine comes in. Mamoswine with Thick Fat eats up almost every single Ice-type attack with ease and hits back with a Choice Band boosted Earthquake. Mamoswine also helps in the Flying-, Dragon-, and Grass-type matchup with banded Icicle Crash and Ice Shard. Knock Off helps beat Porygon 2 which walls Mamoswine completely, being able to trace Thick Fat. Knock Off's handy secondary effect helps in a lot of matchups by being able to knock off crucial items such as Choice Band, Choice Scarf etc. Ice Shard is this team's only method of priority and appreciates the boost in power given by Choice Band making Mamoswine a great late-game cleaner. 252/252 Attack and Speed are self-explanatory as Mamoswine is a great wallbreaker with decent speed. I opted for Adamant nature instead of Jolly to maximise damage output at the cost of getting outsped by Pokemon like Breloom and Bisharp. Since I have Torterra, neither of them are huge threats so it isn't much of a loss.

arrancar (Garchomp-Mega) @ Garchompite

Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Mega-Garchomp fills up the mega slot that my team lacked. It provides a very strong mixed wallbreaker with amazing speed while non-mega and great bulk as mega. It also provides another neutrality to Water-, and Grass-type moves to support the team. Earthquake is its strongest physical STAB while Stone Edge is a necessary option to beat Mega-Charizard-Y, a huge threat to my defensive core. Fire Blast beats Pokemon like Skarmory and Ferrothorn which otherwise wall Mega Garchomp. Fire Blast + Earthquake can completely destroy Steel-type teams as long as you play safely with random HP Ice's. Draco Meteor is the secondary STAB which is a bit less spammable yet strong nonetheless. It provides coverage for opposing Dragon-types which are annoying for the team to face even with Mamoswine. It also hits physically defensive Pokemon that aren't weak to Fire Blast such as Slowbro and Swampert. As I laddered with this team, I tried out fully special Mega-Garchomp with Earth Power and HP Ice over Earthquake and Stone Edge yet that made Mega-Garchomp a bit too weak and was rarely even useful so I reverted back to mixed Mega-Garchomp. The EVs allow it to hit as hard as possible with Earthquake + Stone Edge. Naive nature with 252 speed is a necessity to outspeed base 100s while non-mega such as Mega-Charizard-Y. As far as I know, Special Attack investments aren't necessary on mixed Mega-Garchomp as Fire Blast manages to beat Skarmory and Ferrothorn anyway.

visored (Landorus) @ Life Orb

Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

While Mega-Garchomp and Mamoswine act as the physical wallbreakers of the team, Landorus-I takes care of the walls that Mamoswine or Mega-Garchomp fail to break through with its amazing Special Attack coupled with the absurd combination of Life Orb + Sheer Force. Not only that, but it gains access to excellent coverage and a way to double its already decent speed. However, at the same time, it suffers from 4MSS (4 moveslot syndrome) as the Rock Polish set that I use has to give up on one of its coverage moves. I decided to give up on Sludge Wave as this team already has a good matchup vs Fairy-type and Seismitoad already carries Poison-type coverage. Rock Polish along with Psychic can make Landorus-I a great win condition vs Fighting-type. It sets up freely on Terrakion / Heracross or any other Choice Scarf user locked into a Fighting-type move and OHKOs everything besides the occasional Mega-Gallade. Its typing also supports the team providing a Fighting-type resist for Mamoswine and Krookodile. Earth Power is its STAB move with little switch ins in the entire metagame barring Flying-types. Focus Blast beats Ice-types that it outspeeds as well as levitating Rock- or Steel-types. Maximum Speed and Special Attack EVs are self-explanatory, Timid nature over Modest is because even on a Rock Polish set, I prefer to make use of Landorus-I's great speed tier.

fullbringer (Krookodile) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

For my last Pokemon on the team, I wanted a Choice Scarf user. My options were Excadrill or Krookodile and I ended up with Krookodile for various reasons (check Teambuilding Process above). Krookodile gives me a huge edge in the Psychic-type matchup with its STAB Knock Off. It also helps vs Normal-type teams, being able to effectively knock off the Eviolite off the Eviolite twins. Earthquake is the secondary STAB which is stronger especially after the opponent has had their items knocked off. Stone Edge hits Flying-type Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake, notably Zapdos and Mega-Charizard-Y. Lastly, Choice Scarf Superpower is my main way to beat Weavile and most other Ice-type Pokemon. It also hits Mega-Lopunny which can be a threat to my team with Ice Punch. In my laddering period, I tried out Pursuit over Superpower to trap certain Psychic-types such as Victini and Starmie but in the end, I decided that Superpower was a lot more helpful. EVs are regular 252/252+ with nothing special.
Conclusion:
Extremely hard to break through, you'll need to sac Mega-Garchomp to get an Earthquake off, then Landorus-I for an Earth Power to let Choice Scarf Krookodile revenge kill it.
Ice teams are huge threats to this team overall since I neither have Mega-Camerupt or Choice Scarf / Sand Rush Excadrill. Since I even have Torterra over Hippowdon for Stealth Rock, I basically get absolutely no chance to set them up.
Ludicolo vs my team is horribly painful to watch. You have no chance of winning vs this Pokemon alone, let alone entire Swift Swim teams.
Outspeeds everything besides Krookodile and OHKOs everything besides Seismitoad. Choice Scarf Krookodile with Superpower beats it but there's no way the opponent is staying in lol. Seismitoad takes a hit but can't do much besides pray for a Scald burn.

Another huge threat that can 6-0 pretty easily as long as the opponent plays safely and doesn't keep it in and Ice Beam's vs Mamoswine.
HP Ice + Grass Knot combination is very hard to beat besides Stone Edge Krookodile or Ice Shard Mamoswine.
If you let it set up, its good game and there's nothing more embarassing than losing Rock vs Ground.
/
Neither of them are huge threats if they don't have Ice Fang since Torterra can Seed Bomb / Roar freely but if they do, they're hard to stop.

Nothing switches in and it easily dismantles my defensive core between Torterra and Seismitoad. Choice Scarf Krookodile w/ Stone Edge and Garchomp can handle it though.

There's definitely more but they should be pretty obvious such as Grass-type teams and Spikes stack teams so i'm not going to list any more
I didn't save many of these because I didn't know at that time that I'll do an RMT later but these are what I could find:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-379285430 vs Flying
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-379160856 vs Dragon
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-379167197 vs Grass

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-379220123 vs Steel
hollow (Torterra) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis
- Roar
- Seed Bomb

shinigami (Seismitoad) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot

quincy (Mamoswine) @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

visored (Landorus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

fullbringer (Krookodile) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
k so this is going to be long.
Ferno
Fractions. sorry you should be first but ferno asked me soo.. : (
dusk raimon
TheAce22
Dream Eater Gengar
vlmufa
Tyke
TheOfficialVodoom
Zyo
The Excadrill
Prosaic
madman404
average fella
6TI
Cjl1
Formidable
KGBanter tips from the god himself?
Or1hara Izaya
Mateeus_1
P0werSurge
Typhozzz
Ransei
Dr. Phd. BJ
draegn ompl squad :^]
Ticktick
czim
Waszap
Dece1t
drop a like : )

This RMT took a lot of time, concentration and effort but I feel like it was definitely worth it. This is also probably going to be my last RMT till Sun / Moon come out. Reminder to all raters that Torterra and Seismitoad were part of the core challenge and cannot be removed. Thank you for reading :).

Last edited:

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey!

The team and the post itself looks really nice, good job! I have some suggestions you might like to try out.

• -->
    ; Looking at the team, I see a weakness to Fairy. Calm Mind Clefable can especially be threatening and pretty much beat down your entire team because Banded Mamoswine and Landorus-I can't break through it if Klefki sets up screens for it. Excadrill is a great check to Fairy-types, can revenge kill Mega Diancie without giving Togekiss a free switchin and check Calm Mind Clefable. Scarf Iron Head from Excadrill does around the same damage as Banded Earthquake from Adamant Mamoswine, but it resists Moonblast, has a chance to flinch and can stall out screen turns. Of course, Flamethrower on Clefable is a possibility but the more common fourth moves on Calm Mind Clefable are Thunder Wave or Stealth Rock. Even though using Scarf Krookodile really improves your chances against Psychic, I personally prefer a version of your team with Scarf Excadrill because Beating Psychic with Scarf Excadrill will be easier than beating Fairy with Scarf Krookodile.
  • Max Atk --> Max SpA ; Mega Garchomp has a very high Attack stat even univested, while its Special Attack isn't that impressive without investment. Fire Blast still deal with stuff like Ferrothorn and Skarmory without investment, but Draco Meteor will be much more effective at breaking through things and luring physical walls if you invest in SpA.
Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin / X-Scissor

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Hope I helped, good luck with the team! :toast:

Hey!

The team and the post itself looks really nice, good job! I have some suggestions you might like to try out.

• -->
    ; Looking at the team, I see a weakness to Fairy. Calm Mind Clefable can especially be threatening and pretty much beat down your entire team because Banded Mamoswine and Landorus-I can't break through it if Klefki sets up screens for it. Excadrill is a great check to Fairy-types, can revenge kill Mega Diancie without giving Togekiss a free switchin and check Calm Mind Clefable. Scarf Iron Head from Excadrill does around the same damage as Banded Earthquake from Adamant Mamoswine, but it resists Moonblast, has a chance to flinch and can stall out screen turns. Of course, Flamethrower on Clefable is a possibility but the more common fourth moves on Calm Mind Clefable are Thunder Wave or Stealth Rock. Even though using Scarf Krookodile really improves your chances against Psychic, I personally prefer a version of your team with Scarf Excadrill because Beating Psychic with Scarf Excadrill will be easier than beating Fairy with Scarf Krookodile.
  • Max Atk --> Max SpA ; Mega Garchomp has a very high Attack stat even univested, while its Special Attack isn't that impressive without investment. Fire Blast still deal with stuff like Ferrothorn and Skarmory without investment, but Draco Meteor will be much more effective at breaking through things and luring physical walls if you invest in SpA.
Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin / X-Scissor

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Hope I helped, good luck with the team! :toast:
Hey thanks for the suggestions but I slightly disagree with the first one. You're definitely right in saying that Fairy-types do annoy my team and that Excadrill can help with not only that but Ice-types and Spikes stacking teams as well but as I said in the RMT Choice Scarf Excadrill disappointed my expectations pretty badly and I'd rather have Krookodile instead. CM Clefable isn't quite as threatening as you say seeing as Torterra can roar it out even with a +1 boost in Special Attack as long as I can keep it decently high and stall out the screen turns to let Choice Band Mamoswine finish off (+1 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Torterra: 169-199 (42.8 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery). Being able to hit Mega-Diancie without letting Togekiss come in for free is pretty important but overall I highly doubt it matters much. Between Landorus-I and Seismitoad, I have a pretty good matchup vs Fairy anyway so I don't see the point in sacrificing one of the best Pokemon on my team for a much weaker substitute. I will try it out whenever I get the time for it, however, so thanks for the suggestion.

The second suggestion is interesting and is something I haven't really seen before. I'd rather not switch Mega-Garchomp's EVs from its two best coverage moves to make one move slightly stronger with no specific kills but i'll try it out along with Excadrill because I do have a lack of strong special attackers. Again, thanks a lot :)

It's a small suggestion, but how important is superpower on Krookadile? I might consider running pursuit over it to flush out and deal severe damage to some threats like Tini or Hoopa-U or Zard-Y or a -2 Latios post-draco (who will nab a kill each time it's in).

Edit: I just saw you mentioned pursuit in your in depth analysis :s I still think it's a better slot than superpower though.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)