Featured LC Player of the Week 9: Heysup

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello and welcome to another week of potw. The featured player of the week is Heysup. Heysup is one of the last remaining littlecup forum players. Heysup is 3-3 in SPL with the SMOG FROGS. He is one of the most innovative lcer players around.

HeYsUp

favorite pokemon: blaziken
playstyle: offense
most known for:HeYsUpiken or Aromatherapy BD Swirlix
Macle: Tell me about yourself

Heysup: I am a 22 year old finishing my Business degree and starting law school in the fall all in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I work for 2-3 months during the summer at a camp and it's amazing, especially cuz I don't rly need talk to macle during that time. I have been involved in LC since before it was moved to Smogon (DPP > every other Gen) and actually modded some shit for a while. I also stayed up till 9 AM today/last night to watch the Gold Medal hockey game and now i feel like shit ;)

Macle: What is your favorite part of LC?

Heysup: A couple things I guess, but I'm going to sound old. The community really drew me in from the old Little Cup Forums (rip eric the espeon) and it was really exciting to be a part of basically founding and shaping the Smogon LC metagame and community as it is today. The second thing is that I just really enjoyed pace of the game - and I guess I still do in Gen 6. Last Gen really turned me off to LC and Pokemon because it (and even UU) was all shitty defensive Zzz boring shit. The innovation in LC is beyond anything in any other tiers because of the small sample size and huge stat gaps between Pokemon.

Macle: What is one thing you want changed about LC?

Heysup: For starters, the shitty format of macle's player of the week - it is in paragraphs now because I did it and Macle just sent me this:

macle said:
fav pokemon

playstyle

tell me about yourself

favorite part of lc

1 thing you want changed about lc

why you lose to prem

advice for new people

most underrated thing in lc atm

most overrated thing

opinion on berry juice and eviolite

sample team?

But since I already changed that, lets see. Metagame-wise, fuck Eviolite and its terribleness. Community wise, I wish we had more tournaments with a higher turnover - we do have the user-base to have a lot of multi-gen tournaments so lgi yn?

Macle: SPL and why did you lose to prem?

Heysup: SPL has been really fun so far but my managers suck balls cuz I test vs macle and 6-0 him and think my team is good and then lose. As for prem..... I basically felt I had the game won once I sacced Munchlax to weaken Pawniard, because he couldn't sweep with anything due to Missy checking bird and Shelmet countering Vanha. When he used that anti-Semite SR Pawniard I felt a lot like Raseri must have felt when he saw that Aromatherapy - it really surprised me and costed me the game.

Macle: Some advice for new people? Heysup: Ummm. Enjoy LC? Don't let blara scare you away. Don't be afraid to innovate but try to find a balance between innovation and gimmickry. Use Murkrow. Play in tournaments. Don't do drugs. If you do, do them as properly and safely as possible. And don't buy them from Vader.

Macle: What is the most underrated thing in LC atm?
Heysup: Carvanha. I know people think it's "good" and use it sometimes but wtf its one of the most ridiculous Pokemon. You basically can't counter it without prediction and all of its checks require it to not be flinched by Waterfall or previously Knocked Off and can also just die to Destiny Bond.

Macle: What is the most overrated thing in LC atm?
Heysup: Sun teams are things people often prepare for but it's not the same without Tangela. Vulpix and Bellsprout/Bulbasaur/Oddish/Exeggcute whatever don't actually sweep offense that hard because of things like Fletchling and Murkrow, and balanced teams usually have ways to avoid KOes.

Macle: What is your opinion on Berry Juice and Eviolite?
Heysup: I personally would love to try a gen 4-type setting without any of those stupid items but as of right now I think it's fair to say it's either both stay or both go.
sample team:

coming....

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Since your favorite pokemon is blaziken, I feel like I need to ask your opinion on mega-blaziken. And not just competitively wise; its design seemed to have a lot of mixed criticism, some hate it and others love it. What do you think?

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Canadians represent! Nice to see people that prefer offensive styles. I also agree with your item stance. Both items are realistically stupid, but we can't just get rid of one and have the other exist because it'll create a stupid imbalance.

Since your favorite pokemon is blaziken, I feel like I need to ask your opinion on mega-blaziken. And not just competitively wise; its design seemed to have a lot of mixed criticism, some hate it and others love it. What do you think?
I think it's not gen 4 Blaziken so idgaf about it. Speed boost ruined Blaziken's use in lower tiers where it was fun :(.

why wouldnt you buy some drugs from vader?
laced with weird stuff like starfish poison. go ahead but don't tell me i didn't warn you :/

K i said I would post one and I guess I have no other real post-gligar/swirlix teams so here it is:

fish (Chinchou) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
Level: 5
EVs: 232 SAtk / 60 Spd / 132 Def / 76 HP
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunder Wave

snail (Dwebble) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 236 Spd / 236 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Rock Blast

kung fu (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 Atk / 196 Def / 156 HP
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Knock Off

bird (Fletchling)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 196 Atk / 252 Def / 56 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Roost

bird (Murkrow) @ Life Orb
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 188 Spd / 236 Atk / 84 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Heat Wave
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse

magnet (Magnemite) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 SAtk / 236 Spd
Modest Nature
- Recycle
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Flash Cannon

The team is heavily based around Fletchling/Murkrow. Take any opportunity to set up SR / Spikes (1 layer of each is needed to fully KO Mienfoo with Acro) and basically abuse the slow volt/turn to get to Murkrow. Depending on the Bird-resist, its easy to eventually take them down and sweep with Fletchling. I would probably never 6-0 anyone with this team because it has very little defensive Pokemon and will generally need you to sacrifice something, but its hard to keep the flying-resist Pokemon alive for long enough to fend off Fletchling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)