Feebas and it's viability in LC

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: It has come to my notice that this is in the wrong place, and wrongly formatted, so I guess it'll be locked soon .-. Sorry mods.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I assume you would be surprised to hear this; despite the fact that it is outclassed by many in it's function, Feebas definitely does have viability in LC, as it is blessed with great speed and a decent movepool, something it's unfortunate cousin Magikarp lacks. It even has a useful ability in Oblivious, allowing it to avoid getting taunted.
(Please excuse me if I get anything wrong, this is my first analysis. I hear I must consult a moderator before making a thread devoted to one pokemon in particular during early XY LC, I'm not sure if that still applies. If it does, I'll be happy to delete this. If not, I can make the appropriate changes.)

Sashed lead

Feebas @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Spd / 116 Atk / 196 HP
Jolly Nature
- Toxic/Hypnosis
- Confuse Ray
- Flail
- Mirror Coat/Protect

Taking a cue from it's cousin's ever-so famous gimmick set, feebas can act as a sashed lead, with it's speed reaching 18, allowing it to induce sleep/bad poisoning/ onto other openers. Protect can be used for scouting or to avoid fake out, and mirror coat to surprise the odd special attacker. Flail, a move which we've probably all seen on the infamous magikarp, has some use on this derpy fish as well as it can reach an effective base damage of 200 when down to it's last health point.

Other Options

Feebas has access to Adaptability, which unfortunately cannot be used too well, it's 15/10 offenses can't be used anywhere out of the gimmicky focus sash+flail combination, not to mention it's offensive movepool is rather poor. (gimme a sec, will add a rain dance+swift swim set)

Checks and counters- (to be added)

Last edited:
Yo, I can see your new to the forums. Unfortunately this is entirely the wrong subforum to post this thread in. You should be looking here. You do need to reserve a Pokemon before you are allowed to post an analysis about it (right here). Since Feebas is not generally considered something that is viable in LC, you will need to prove it's viable enough for an analysis.

On another note, you do need to have a thread approved in this forum by one of our LC forum moderators (blarajan and macle). You can PM them, talk to them on IRC, or you might find one of them on PS. If you have any further questions, don't be afraid to ask here or you can contact me or any of our other LC contributors for help. Hope you have a good time in LC!

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I appreciate your adventurousness in making a case for Feebas's viability, but there just isn't enough to set it past virtually any other Water-type out there. Oblivious and Flail aren't enough of a niche for it to be considered viable.

I appreciate your adventurousness in making a case for Feebas's viability, but there just isn't enough to set it past virtually any other Water-type out there. Oblivious and Flail aren't enough of a niche for it to be considered viable.
Well, there are many ridiculous pokemon with analyses. Why not Feebas xD

Yo, I can see your new to the forums. Unfortunately this is entirely the wrong subforum to post this thread in. You should be looking here. You do need to reserve a Pokemon before you are allowed to post an analysis about it (right here). Since Feebas is not generally considered something that is viable in LC, you will need to prove it's viable enough for an analysis.

On another note, you do need to have a thread approved in this forum by one of our LC forum moderators (blarajan and macle). You can PM them, talk to them on IRC, or you might find one of them on PS. If you have any further questions, don't be afraid to ask here or you can contact me or any of our other LC contributors for help. Hope you have a good time in LC!
That I am, derp. Sorry, I'm having trouble with IRC so I might as well use PM. Either way, appreciate it a lot. Should I delete this thread?

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
Well, there are many ridiculous pokemon with analyses. Why not Feebas xD
I think Feebas is just a tad more ridiculous than the rest. It has a decent move pool, no argument there, but Squirtle, Tentacool, Slowpoke, Chinchou, Piplup, Shellos, Finneon and Frillish can all perform a similar role much better than Feebas can.

I think Feebas is just a tad more ridiculous than the rest. It has a decent move pool, no argument there, but Squirtle, Tentacool, Slowpoke, Chinchou, Piplup, Shellos, Finneon and Frillish can all perform a similar role much better than Feebas can.
Feebas outspeeds a chunk of those, which can come in handy. Also, the sheer stupidity of using a feebas can take the opponent off guard lol, it's so looked down upon no one would consider it's movepool, mirror coat or even a flail set. I'll be a bit more specific, it is outclassed in it's function by many pokemon, especially tentacool of all those, but note that even pokemon that are outclassed by others have analyses.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
Feebas outspeeds a chunk of those, which can come in handy. Also, the sheer stupidity of using a feebas can take the opponent off guard lol, it's so looked down upon no one would consider it's movepool, mirror coat or even a flail set. I'll be a bit more specific, it is outclassed in it's function by many pokemon, especially tentacool of all those, but note that even pokemon that are outclassed by others have analyses.
It's just probably never worth the trouble. The worst thing you'll do to an opponent is poison them or hit them with a Flail that does about 50% damage.

It's just probably never worth the trouble. The worst thing you'll do to an opponent is poison them or hit them with a Flail that does about 50% damage.
A swift swim set with rain dance focus sash set could have come in handy though. It'll become mindblowingly fast, not only allowing it to poison them/confuse them, but also provide support to a fellow swift swimmer. All in all, it can do okay, despite being incredibly gimmicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)