UU Feraligatr

Overview
########

With a naturally high base Attack and the gift of its newly released hidden ability, Feraligatr has emerged as a premier offensive threat in UU. Feraligatr's access to a variety of great boosting moves as well as a priority move allow it to perform the role of a powerful wallbreaker or a sweeper, and its good typing and bulk provide it with plenty of opportunities to set up. However, Feraligatr's low Speed can make it fall flat against offensive teams, as it is outsped even at +1 by common Pokemon. In addition, it doesn't have many coverage options to speak of, and its attacks are relatively low-powered.

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Substitute / Ice Punch / Swords Dance
ability: Sheer Force
item: Life Orb
evs: 220 Atk / 36 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Dragon Dance turns Feraligatr into a sweeper by boosting its Attack and Speed by one stage each. Boosted by STAB, Sheer Force, and Life Orb, Waterfall is Feraligatr's most powerful move. Crunch is a useful coverage move that hits Psychic-types such as Cresselia, Reuniclus, and Slowking super effectively and provides Feraligatr with neutral coverage on opposing Water-types. Substitute is used mainly to set up on defensive Water-types that rely on Scald, as none of them can break Feraligatr's Substitute in one hit. Ice Punch is a coverage move that hits the Grass- and Dragon-types that resist Waterfall. Swords Dance can also be used in the final moveslot to give Feraligatr another option to boost against bulkier teams.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs allow Feraligatr to outspeed Mega Pidgeot after one Dragon Dance and Choice Scarf Mienshao after two Dragon Dances. An Adamant nature is preferred for more power, but a Jolly nature is usable to outspeed Adamant Heracross, Adamant Lucario, and, after a Dragon Dance, Crobat. 36 Special Defense EVs ensure that defensive Suicune's +1 Scald will never break Feraligatr's Substitute, but if another move is chosen over Substitute, then these EVs should be moved to Attack. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to increase Feraligatr's power. The combination of Sheer Force and Life Orb negates Life Orb recoil and grants a 1.69x boost to Waterfall, Crunch, and Ice Punch at the cost of their secondary effects.

Usage Tips
========

Dragon Dance Feraligatr works best on bulky and hyper offense teams as a late-game cleaner. Pokemon that outspeed Feraligatr after a boost include positive-natured Mega Sceptile, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Aerodactyl; all relevant Choice Scarf users; and Crobat and Noivern if Feraligatr runs an Adamant nature. Physical walls that can take Feraligatr's attacks when healthy, such as Mega Aggron and Chesnaught, should be weakened before attempting to set up. However, with Substitute, Feraligatr can set up on some physical walls, such as Suicune lacking Roar.

Team Options
========

Feraligatr appreciates the support of physical wallbreakers, such as Choice Band or Swords Dance Heracross, Choice Band Tyrantrum, and Swords Dance Haxorus. Spikes setters can help Feraligatr break through more Pokemon; Chesnaught and Roserade can set Spikes while also taking advantage of the Grass-, Electric-, and defensive Water-types that trouble Feraligatr. Dragalge also checks Pokemon of the aforementioned types and can provide Toxic Spikes support. Shaymin and Whimsicott can check opposing Water-types and support Feraligatr with Healing Wish and Memento, respectively. Mega Sceptile can use its ability and typing to switch into the Electric- and Grass-type moves that threaten Feraligatr.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 4: Substitute / Ice Punch / Aqua Jet
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Feraligatr's already-high Attack stat, turning it into a powerful wallbreaker. Waterfall is Feraligatr's strongest STAB move and is benefited by Sheer Force and Life Orb. Crunch is Feraligatr's most powerful option to hit common Water-types and has super effective coverage on Psychic-types, such as Cresselia and Reuniclus. Substitute blocks attempts to status Feraligatr, particularly allowing it to set up easily on defensive Water-types without fearing a Scald burn, and provides some protection from revenge killing. Ice Punch can be used in the fourth moveslot as coverage against Grass-types, such as Amoonguss and Chesnaught, and Dragon-types, such as Mega Ampharos and Salamence. Aqua Jet gives Feraligatr useful and reliable priority, allowing it to KO frail or weakened offensive threats such as Mienshao and Mega Beedrill.

Set Details
========

252 EVs are placed into Speed with a Jolly nature to allow Feraligatr to outspeed all relevant walls as well as certain offensive Pokemon, such as Adamant Heracross and Adamant Lucario. 36 EVs are placed into Special Defense to ensure that uninvested Suicune's +1 Scald will never break Feraligatr's Substitute; however, if a third attack is used over Substitute, these EVs should be placed into Attack instead. The rest of the EVs are placed into Attack to maximize Feraligatr's damage output. The combination of Sheer Force and Life Orb gives Waterfall, Ice Punch, and Crunch a 1.69x boost and negates Life Orb recoil.

Leftovers can be used to grant Feraligatr more longevity and to allow it to set up more Substitutes in the face of weak defensive Pokemon at the cost of considerable power. An alternate spread of 24 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 200 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used for more power and slightly more bulk while still outspeeding Adamant Honchkrow. Feraligatr can use Torrent over Sheer Force if it aims to sweep with Aqua Jet. In this case, Splash Plate is a good item choice to power up Feraligatr's Water-type moves without wearing it down, but Life Orb can help it get into Torrent range more quickly.

Usage Tips
========

Swords Dance Feraligatr works best on bulky offense and balanced teams as a mid-game wallbreaker. It should be used to muscle through defensive Pokemon, making room for a teammate to clean up. Feraligatr can find plenty of opportunities to set up against Pokemon such as Suicune, Gligar, and Florges.

Team Options
========

Feraligatr's teammates should take advantage of its ability to soften up physical walls. Choice Band Entei, Choice Scarf Infernape, and Mega Sharpedo all appreciate Feraligatr beating defensive Water-types and other physical walls. Fast Grass- and Electric-types such as Mega Sceptile and Heliolisk force Feraligatr out, so it needs teammates that can check them. Chesnaught and Roserade can check these Pokemon and also lay Spikes to support Feraligatr.

Other Options
########

Feraligatr can use Agility to clean up faster teams after some prior damage. It can also use a special attacking set with moves such as Scald, Ice Beam, and Focus Blast to surprise physical walls, which it often lures in, but Swords Dance variants do huge damage to these Pokemon at +2 Attack anyway. Finally, Feraligatr can use Earthquake and Low Kick to do more damage to certain foes, such as Mega Aggron and Empoleon, but these moves are generally not worth a moveslot and neither is boosted by Sheer Force.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physical Walls**: Bulky Water-types check the Dragon Dance set and threaten to burn it with Scald; however, they will be severely weakened or KOed if Feraligatr carries Substitute. Mega Aggron and Empoleon can take most of Feraligatr's attacks and phaze it.

**Grass-types**: Faster Grass-types such as Shaymin can directly force out Swords Dance Feraligatr. Whimsicott can lock Feraligatr into a setup move with Encore or threaten it with Giga Drain. Mega Sceptile outspeeds +1 Feraligatr, resists Aqua Jet, and can KO with Giga Drain. Chesnaught can take any attack and wear Feraligatr down with Leech Seed or KO it with Wood Hammer.

**Electric-types**: Offensive Rotom formes outspeed Feraligatr, though Rotom-H must be wary of boosted Aqua Jet. Heliolisk is immune to Aqua Jet and its Hyper Voice goes through Feraligatr's potential Substitute, though it can't switch into Ice Punch or Crunch. Defensive Mega Ampharos can take anything - save for a +2 Adamant Ice Punch - and KO Feraligatr with Volt Switch after Stealth Rock damage; offensive variants of Mega Ampharos can take any unboosted attack.

Last edited:
Alright this is ready for QC. The biggest question is whether I should make Agility + special attacks its own set, I know DMT has used this set so maybe you could provide input :]. If anyone has alternate EV spreads they'd like to recommend I'm open for suggestions.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
**Electric-types**: Offensive Rotom formes outspeed Feraligatr, though Rotom-H must be wary of boosted Aqua Jet. Heliolisk is immune to Aqua Jet and its Hyper Voice goes through Feraligatr's potential Substitute. Defensive Mega Ampharos can take anything but a +2 Adamant Ice Punch and KO Feraligatr with Volt Switch after Stealth Rock. Defensive Mega Ampharos can take anything but a +2 Adamant Ice Punch and KO Feraligatr with Volt Switch after Stealth Rock; offensive variants of Mega Ampharos can take any unboosted attack.
I know I shouldn't nitpick but lol at double post. I assume you were trying to emphasize that Defensive MAmphy is the shit :^)

Anyways, onto the some real help...

I say for the SD set that since it is geared for a wallbreaker, the Speed EVs should just be enough to outspeed Honchkrow while maximizing Attack power and giving it enough bulk to still live the +1 uninvested Scald from Suicune.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute / Aqua Jet / Ice Punch

Also not QC, but I am all for a Double Dance (Agility + Swords Dance) set since Waterfall + Crunch is decent enough coverage or a straight out Agility special set, but again not QC so I say one of them needs to hop on in here and say something first lol.

The viability of the special set is totally dependent on how standard gatr becomes. If it starts to be something people prepare for (rise in Chesnaught usage, for example), the special set will make it a whole lot more deadly. The only real two advantages of the special set are surprise, and the fact that agility over DD lets it outspeed the faster checks you mentioned, like Mega Sceptile (as well as being able to outspeed (or maybe speedtie? Idk how to math) scarf Mienshao after 1 boost, instead of 2.

The surprise factor can catch a lot of the physical set checks off guard, hitting them way harder unboosted.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 155-182 (38.3 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
vs.
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 92-109 (22.7 - 26.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chesnaught: 330-390 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
vs.
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 166-198 (43.6 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 242-286 (64.7 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs.
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 109-129 (29.1 - 34.4%) -- 3.4% chance to 3HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 242-285 (70.3 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs.
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 90-107 (26.1 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 250-294 (67.2 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
vs.
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 155-183 (41.6 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
On top of not having to fear being crippled by a defensive scald, I kinda feel that the fact that it can ruin so many of the physical checks with a still viable special sweeping set makes it deserving of a separate set.

But yeah. Sadly you're still shut down by common spdef walls like Bliss/Florges/Vap, but idk. Cool set imo deserves recognition.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
k so i've been using a gatr a bunch lately and im of the opinion that adamant is the way to go tbh. jolly only does one thing and that's outspeed crobat at +1, which granted can be really nice for subdd due to infiltrator, but still not enough of a pro tbh. 78 speed means you're outsped by even the slowest viable scarfer in the tier (chand) at +1 and since adamant hits 255 at +2 (which beats scarfshao by 1 hence why its important) i think its better.

im also of the opinion that special sets are never going to be viable because SD pops all its checks at +2 anyway,,,,

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 330-390 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

now as for sets, pretty much any combination of waterfall / crunch / ice punch / dragon dance / agility / swords dance / substitute works

subdd w/ crunch and waterfall is the most consistent imo so the first set should probably be

waterfall
crunch / ice punch
dd
sub

secondly i think the dd + sd set is amazing as well, and it doesnt play /too/ differently from the subdd set, so you can probs just slash dd with sub and call it ''.dancin'' or something :]

agility 3 attacks is good as well, probably better than sd + jet tbh. not a fan of ajet w/o torrent in all honesty.

obviously DD 3 attacks is the most common and its a good set so that should be there as well.

not really sure how to format it in terms of sets cause if you just slash ice punch after sub/sd on the first set it might look a little too clusterfuckd? maybe not idk

also agility+sd is bad cause dd exists

I know I shouldn't nitpick but lol at double post. I assume you were trying to emphasize that Defensive MAmphy is the shit :^)

Anyways, onto the some real help...

I say for the SD set that since it is geared for a wallbreaker, the Speed EVs should just be enough to outspeed Honchkrow while maximizing Attack power and giving it enough bulk to still live the +1 uninvested Scald from Suicune.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute / Aqua Jet / Ice Punch

Also not QC, but I am all for a Double Dance (Agility + Swords Dance) set since Waterfall + Crunch is decent enough coverage or a straight out Agility special set, but again not QC so I say one of them needs to hop on in here and say something first lol.
Put the Adamant set in there. Not gonna put a double dance set for the reason koko listed.

After trying out a special attacking set I find it to be really underwhelming, and yeah, SD is able to take huge chunks out of its "counters" anyway. So I'm gonna leave special attacks in OO, but that's all.

k so i've been using a gatr a bunch lately and im of the opinion that adamant is the way to go tbh. jolly only does one thing and that's outspeed crobat at +1, which granted can be really nice for subdd due to infiltrator, but still not enough of a pro tbh. 78 speed means you're outsped by even the slowest viable scarfer in the tier (chand) at +1 and since adamant hits 255 at +2 (which beats scarfshao by 1 hence why its important) i think its better.

im also of the opinion that special sets are never going to be viable because SD pops all its checks at +2 anyway,,,,

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 330-390 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

now as for sets, pretty much any combination of waterfall / crunch / ice punch / dragon dance / agility / swords dance / substitute works

subdd w/ crunch and waterfall is the most consistent imo so the first set should probably be

waterfall
crunch / ice punch
dd
sub

secondly i think the dd + sd set is amazing as well, and it doesnt play /too/ differently from the subdd set, so you can probs just slash dd with sub and call it ''.dancin'' or something :]

agility 3 attacks is good as well, probably better than sd + jet tbh. not a fan of ajet w/o torrent in all honesty.

obviously DD 3 attacks is the most common and its a good set so that should be there as well.

not really sure how to format it in terms of sets cause if you just slash ice punch after sub/sd on the first set it might look a little too clusterfuckd? maybe not idk

also agility+sd is bad cause dd exists
Agree with Adamant as the main nature for DD, and I restricted Jolly to just a mention in Set Details.

So here are the two sets as of right now:

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Crunch
Substitute/Ice Punch/Swords Dance

Swords Dance
Waterfall
Crunch
Substitute/Ice Punch/Aqua Jet

I've tried it out and Sub/DD/Waterfall/Ice Punch isn't great because bulky Waters still beat you just by spamming Scald. If you're using Sub, you're aiming to beat bulky Waters, so Crunch is the way to go in that case. This makes it so that Sub/DD/Waterfall/Crunch is the "main" set, followed by DD+3 attacks.

+4 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 200 HP / 252 Def Vaporeon: 212-250 (47 - 55.4%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'm still leaving SD Jet on there because it does allow it to kill some faster, frailer stuff that I outlined when I mentioned in Moves, but it's the last slash since Sub or Ice Punch are generally better for a dedicated wallbreaking set.

Finally, I'm leaving Agility in Other Options for now because I don't think it necessarily deserves an entire set, but my mind can be changed and I haven't dismissed the possibility.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Mention in C&C that Heliolisk can't switch into Ice Punch / Crunch.

In Team Options for the Dragon Dance set, you could probably mention Mega Sceptile along with Shaymin and Whimsicott in Grass-types; while it can't really support Feraligatr like the other Grass-types do, it does have a nifty immunity in Volt Switch once it Mega Evolves, which is nice considering Sceptile can switch into both of the attacking types that hit Gatr super effectively because of that.

Other than that, this is good dodmen. QC 1/3

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
change the thread title, it scared me
GP 1/2
Overview
########

With a naturally high base Attack and the gift of its newly released hidden ability, Feraligatr has emerged as a premier offensive threat in UU. Feraligatr's access to a variety of great boosting moves as well as priority allow it to perform the role of a powerful wallbreaker or a sweeper, and its good typing and bulk provide it with plenty of opportunities to set up. However, its low Speed can make Feraligatr fall flat against offensive teams, (comma) as it is outsped even at +1 by common Pokemon. In addition, it doesn't have many coverage options to speak of and its attacks are relatively low-powered.

Dragon Dance
########

Moves
========

Dragon Dance turns Feraligatr into a sweeper by boosting its Attack and Speed by one stage. Boosted by STAB, Sheer Force, and Life Orb, Waterfall is Feraligatr's most powerful move. Crunch is a useful coverage move that hits Psychic-types such as Cresselia, Reuniclus, and Slowking super effectively and provides Feraligatr with neutral coverage on opposing Water-types. Substitute is used mainly to set up on defensive Water-types that rely on Scald, as none of them can break Feraligatr's Substitute in one hit. Ice Punch is a possible coverage move that hits the Grass- and Dragon-types that resist Waterfall. Swords Dance can also be used in the final moveslot to give Feraligatr another option to boost against bulkier teams.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs allow Feraligatr to outspeed Mega Pidgeot after one Dragon Dance and Choice Scarf Mienshao after two Dragon Dances. An Adamant nature is preferred for more power, but a Jolly nature is usable to outspeed Adamant Heracross and Adamant Lucario as well as Crobat after a Dragon Dance. 36 SpD Special Defense EVs are used to ensure that defensive Suicune's +1 Scald will never break Feraligatr's Substitute, but if another move is chosen over Substitute, then these EVs should be moved to Attack. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to increase Feraligatr's power. The combination of Sheer Force and Life Orb grants a 1.69x boost to Waterfall, Crunch, and Ice Punch at the cost of their secondary effects while negating Life Orb recoil damage.

Usage Tips
========

Dragon Dance Feraligatr works best on bulky and hyper offense teams as a late-game cleaner. Pokemon that outspeed Feraligatr after a boost include positive-natured Mega Sceptile, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Aerodactyl; all relevant Choice Scarf users; and Crobat and Noivern if Feraligatr runs an Adamant nature. Physical walls that can take Feraligatr's attacks when healthy, such as Mega Aggron and Chesnaught, should be weakened before attempting to set up with Feraligatr. However, with Substitute, Feraligatr can set up on some physical walls, (comma) such as Suicune lacking Roar.

Team Options
========

Feraligatr appreciates the support of wallbreakers, such as Choice Band or Swords Dance Heracross, Choice Band Tyrantrum, or and Swords Dance Haxorus, all of which can wear down or KO physical walls. Spikes setters can help Feraligatr break through more Pokemon; Chesnaught and Roserade can set Spikes while also taking advantage of the Grass-, Electric-, and defensive Water-types that trouble Feraligatr. Dragalge also checks Pokemon of the aforementioned types and cab can provide Toxic Spikes support. Shaymin and Whimsicott can check opposing Water-types and support Feraligatr with Healing Wish and Memento, respectively. Mega Sceptile can use its ability and typing to switch into the Electric and Grass moves that threaten Feraligatr.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Feraligatr's already-high Attack stat, turning it into a powerful wallbreaker. Waterfall is Feraligatr's strongest STAB move and is benefited by Sheer Force and Life Orb. Crunch is Feraligatr's most powerful option to hit common Water-types and has super effective coverage on Psychic-types, (comma) such as like Cresselia and Reuniclus. Substitute blocks attempts to status Feraligatr, particularly allowing it to set up easily on defensive Water-types without fearing a Scald burn, and also provides some protection from revenge killing. Ice Punch can be used in the fourth moveslot as coverage against Grass-types, such as Amoonguss and Chesnaught, and Dragon-types, such as Mega Ampharos and Salamence. Aqua Jet gives Feraligatr useful and reliable priority, allowing it to KO frail or weakened offensive threats such as Mienshao and Mega Beedrill.

Set Details
========

252 EVs are placed into Speed with a Jolly nature to allow Feraligatr to outspeed all relevant walls as well as certain offensive Pokemon, such as Adamant Heracross and Adamant Lucario. 36 EVs are placed into Special Defense to ensure that uninvested Suicune's +1 Scald will never break Feraligatr's Substitute; however, if a third attack is used over Substitute, these EVs should be placed into Attack instead. The rest of the EVs are placed into Attack to maximize Feraligatr's damage output. The combination of Sheer Force and Life Orb gives Waterfall, Ice Punch, and Crunch a 1.69x boost and negates Life Orb recoil.

Leftovers is an option to give Feraligatr more longevity and to allow it to set up more Substitutes in the face of weak defensive Pokemon at the cost of considerable power. An alternate spread of 24 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 200 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used for more power and slightly more bulk while still outspeeding Adamant Honchkrow. Feraligatr can use Torrent over Sheer Force if it aims to sweep with Aqua Jet. In this case, Splash Plate is a good item choice to power up Feraligatr's Water moves without wearing it down, but Life Orb can help it get into Torrent range more quickly.

Usage Tips
========

Swords Dance Feraligatr works best on bulky offense and balanced teams as a mid-game wallbreaker. It should be used to muscle through defensive Pokemon, making room for another teammate to clean up. Feraligatr can find plenty of opportunities to set up against Pokemon such as Suicune, Gligar, and Florges.

Team Options
========

Feraligatr's teammates should take advantage of its ability to soften up physical walls. Choice Band Entei, Choice Scarf Infernape, and Mega Sharpedo all appreciate Feraligatr beating defensive Water-types and other physical walls. Fast Grass- and Electric-types such as Mega Sceptile and Heliolisk force Feraligatr out, so it needs teammates that can check these. Chesnaught and Roserade can check these Pokemon and also lay Spikes to support Feraligatr.

Other Options
########

Feraligatr has access to Agility, which it can use to clean up faster teams after some prior damage. It can also use a special attacking set with moves such as Scald, Ice Beam, and Focus Blast to lure surprise physical walls, which it often lures in, but Swords Dance variants do huge damage to these Pokemon at +2 anyway. Finally, Feraligatr can use Earthquake and Low Kick to do more damage to certain foes, such as Mega Aggron and Empoleon, but these are generally not worth a moveslot and neither is boosted by Sheer Force.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physical Walls**: (colon) Bulky Water-types check the Dragon Dance set and threaten to burn it; however, they will be severely weakened or KO'd KOed if Feraligatr carries Substitute. Mega Aggron and Empoleon can take most of Feraligatr's attacks and phaze it out.

**Grass-types**: (colon) Faster Grass-types such as Shaymin can directly force out Swords Dance Feraligatr. Whimsicott can lock Feraligatr into a setup move with Encore or threaten it with Giga Drain. Mega Sceptile outspeeds +1 Feraligatr, resists Aqua Jet, and can KO with Giga Drain. Chesnaught can take any attack and wear Feraligatr down with Leech Seed or KO it with Wood Hammer.

**Electric-types**: Offensive Rotom formes outspeed Feraligatr, though Rotom-H must be wary of boosted Aqua Jet. Heliolisk is immune to Aqua Jet and its Hyper Voice goes through Feraligatr's potential Substitute, though it can't switch into Ice Punch or Crunch. Defensive Mega Ampharos can take anything but a +2 Adamant Ice Punch and KO Feraligatr with Volt Switch after Stealth Rock; offensive variants of Mega Ampharos can take any unboosted attack.

queez

wandering and wondering
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Took me long enough

Additions
Removals
Comments

Overview
########

With a naturally high base Attack and the gift of its newly released hidden ability, Feraligatr has emerged as a premier offensive threat in UU. Feraligatr's access to a variety of great boosting moves as well as a priority move allow it to perform the role of a powerful wallbreaker or a sweeper, and its good typing and bulk provide it with plenty of opportunities to set up. However, its Feraligatr's low Speed can make Feraligatr it(it's usually better to establish the subject noun first and use a pronoun to refer back to it after) fall flat against offensive teams, as it is outsped even at +1 by common Pokemon. In addition, it doesn't have many coverage options to speak of,(add comma) and its attacks are relatively low-powered.

Dragon Dance
########

Moves
========

Dragon Dance turns Feraligatr into a sweeper by boosting its Attack and Speed by one stage each. Boosted by STAB, Sheer Force, and Life Orb, Waterfall is Feraligatr's most powerful move. Crunch is a useful coverage move that hits Psychic-types such as Cresselia, Reuniclus, and Slowking super effectively and provides Feraligatr with neutral coverage on opposing Water-types. Substitute is used mainly to set up on defensive Water-types that rely on Scald, as none of them can break Feraligatr's Substitute in one hit. Ice Punch is a possible coverage move that hits the Grass- and Dragon-types that resist Waterfall. Swords Dance can also be used in the final moveslot to give Feraligatr another option to boost against bulkier teams.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs allow Feraligatr to outspeed Mega Pidgeot after one Dragon Dance and Choice Scarf Mienshao after two Dragon Dances. An Adamant nature is preferred for more power, but a Jolly nature is usable to outspeed Adamant Heracross,(add comma) and Adamant Lucario,(add comma) and, after a Dragon Dance, Crobat (makes it a bit more clear that the Dragon Dance bit only applies to Crobat) as well as Crobat after a Dragon Dance. 36 Special Defense EVs ensure that defensive Suicune's +1 Scald will never break Feraligatr's Substitute, but if another move is chosen over Substitute, then these EVs should be moved to Attack. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to increase Feraligatr's power. The combination of Sheer Force and Life Orb negates Life Orb recoil and grants a 1.69x boost to Waterfall, Crunch, and Ice Punch at the cost of their secondary effects while negating Life Orb recoil damage(the combo of "at the cost of...while negating" sounded a bit awkward).

Usage Tips
========

Dragon Dance Feraligatr works best on bulky and hyper offense teams as a late-game cleaner. Pokemon that outspeed Feraligatr after a boost include positive-natured Mega Sceptile, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Aerodactyl; all relevant Choice Scarf users; and Crobat and Noivern if Feraligatr runs an Adamant nature. Physical walls that can take Feraligatr's attacks when healthy, such as Mega Aggron and Chesnaught, should be weakened before attempting to set up with Feraligatr it. However, with Substitute, Feraligatr can set up on some physical walls, such as Suicune lacking Roar.

Team Options
========

Feraligatr appreciates the support of physical wallbreakers, such as Choice Band or and Swords Dance Heracross, Choice Band Tyrantrum, and Swords Dance Haxorus, all of which can wear down or KO physical walls(seems redundant considering you just referred to them as wallbreakers. if you disagree, leave it as is & don't add "physical" before "wallbreakers" in the previous sentence). Spikes setters can help Feraligatr break through more Pokemon; Chesnaught and Roserade can set Spikes while also taking advantage of the Grass-, Electric-, and defensive Water-types that trouble Feraligatr. Dragalge also checks Pokemon of the aforementioned types and can provide Toxic Spikes support. Shaymin and Whimsicott can check opposing Water-types and support Feraligatr with Healing Wish and Memento, respectively. Mega Sceptile can use its ability and typing to switch into the Electric-(add hyphen) and Grass-type moves that threaten Feraligatr.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Feraligatr's already-high Attack stat, turning it into a powerful wallbreaker. Waterfall is Feraligatr's strongest STAB move and is benefited by Sheer Force and Life Orb. Crunch is Feraligatr's most powerful option to hit common Water-types and has super effective coverage on Psychic-types, such as Cresselia and Reuniclus. Substitute blocks attempts to status Feraligatr, particularly allowing it to set up easily on defensive Water-types without fearing a Scald burn, and also provides some protection from revenge killing. Ice Punch can be used in the fourth moveslot as coverage against Grass-types, such as Amoonguss and Chesnaught, and Dragon-types, such as Mega Ampharos and Salamence. Aqua Jet gives Feraligatr useful and reliable priority, allowing it to KO frail or weakened offensive threats such as Mienshao and Mega Beedrill.

Set Details
========

Leftovers is an option to give can be used to grant Feraligatr more longevity and to allow it to set up more Substitutes in the face of weak defensive Pokemon at the cost of considerable power. An alternate spread of 24 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 200 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used for more power and slightly more bulk while still outspeeding Adamant Honchkrow. Feraligatr can use Torrent over Sheer Force if it aims to sweep with Aqua Jet. In this case, Splash Plate is a good item choice to power up Feraligatr's Water-type moves without wearing it down, but Life Orb can help it get into Torrent range more quickly.

Usage Tips
========

Swords Dance Feraligatr works best on bulky offense and balanced teams as a mid-game wallbreaker. It should be used to muscle through defensive Pokemon, making room for another a teammate to clean up. Feraligatr can find plenty of opportunities to set up against Pokemon such as Suicune, Gligar, and Florges.

Team Options
========

Feraligatr's teammates should take advantage of its ability to soften up physical walls. Choice Band Entei, Choice Scarf Infernape, and Mega Sharpedo all appreciate Feraligatr beating defensive Water-types and other physical walls. Fast Grass- and Electric-types such as Mega Sceptile and Heliolisk force Feraligatr out, so it needs teammates that can check these them. Chesnaught and Roserade can check these Pokemon and also lay Spikes to support Feraligatr.

Other Options
########

Feraligatr has access to Agility, which it can use Agility to clean up faster teams after some prior damage. It can also use a special attacking set with moves such as Scald, Ice Beam, and Focus Blast to surprise physical walls, which it often lures in, but Swords Dance variants do huge damage to these Pokemon at +2 Attack(making sure you aren't referring to physical walls having +2 Defense) anyway. Finally, Feraligatr can use Earthquake and Low Kick to do more damage to certain foes, such as Mega Aggron and Empoleon, but these moves are generally not worth a moveslot and neither is boosted by Sheer Force.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physical Walls**: Bulky Water-types check the Dragon Dance set and threaten to burn it with Scald(I'm assuming this is what you're talking about here?); however, they will be severely weakened or KOed if Feraligatr carries Substitute. Mega Aggron and Empoleon can take most of Feraligatr's attacks and phaze it.

**Grass-types**: Faster Grass-types such as Shaymin can directly force out Swords Dance Feraligatr. Whimsicott can lock Feraligatr into a setup move with Encore or threaten it with Giga Drain. Mega Sceptile outspeeds +1 Feraligatr, resists Aqua Jet, and can KO with Giga Drain. Chesnaught can take any attack and wear Feraligatr down with Leech Seed or KO it with Wood Hammer.

**Electric-types**: Offensive Rotom formes outspeed Feraligatr, though Rotom-H must be wary of boosted Aqua Jet. Heliolisk is immune to Aqua Jet and its Hyper Voice goes through Feraligatr's potential Substitute, though it can't switch into Ice Punch or Crunch. Defensive Mega Ampharos can take anything—(add dash)but save for a +2 Adamant Ice Punch—(add dash)and KO Feraligatr with Volt Switch after Stealth Rock damage; offensive variants of Mega Ampharos can take any unboosted attack.

well friend this is GP 2/2 ッ

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)