Ubers Ferrothorn

[OVERVIEW]

Ferrothorn has a decent Grass / Steel typing that gives it a useful set of resistances, allowing it to check a plethora of threats such as Primal Kyogre, Z-Geomancy Xerneas, and support Arceus variants thanks to its high defensive stats. It has access to plenty of good utility moves such as Spikes, Toxic, and Leech Seed, making it a decent choice for any balance team. It has a pretty good Attack stat coupled with two powerful STAB moves, preventing it from being dead weight against offensive threats such as Mega Gengar, Xerneas, Arceus-Ground, and Yveltal. Despite all of those good points, Ferrothorn's typing gives it exploitable Fire and Fighting weaknesses, which makes Ferrothorn leaves it threatened by common Pokemon such as Ho-Oh, Mega Lucario, Primal Groudon, and offensive threats that run a Fighting- or Fire-type coverage move such as Mewtwo, Lunala, Dialga, Deoxys-A, and Rayquaza. It's also easily beaten by wallbreakers such as Mega Salamence, Arceus-Ghost, and offensive Primal Groudon. Lastly, it's rendered near useless by Taunt users such as Yveltal and Mega Gengar and has to rely on Leech Seed and Leftovers to recover, with the drawback of always moving second, meaning that Ferrothorn can be easily beaten if it's not healthy throughout the battle.

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Gyro Ball
move 4: Protect / Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Iron Barbs
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes damages opposing grounded Pokemon in order to wear them down and support a teammate's sweep. Leech Seed can be used to deal chip damage to switch-ins and gradually recover Ferrothorn's HP, which is especially helpful in combination with Leftovers, Protect, and Iron Barbs. Gyro Ball, backed by Ferrothorn's extremely low Speed, deals serious damage to many offensive threats such as Mega Gengar, Yveltal, and Mewtwo. Protect, in tandem with Leech Seed and Leftovers, grants Ferrothorn even more recovery and the ability to scout a foe's next move. Toxic is a solid option to let Ferrothorn cripple its switch-ins and spread poison, forcing many switches and easily wearing down the opposing team in tandem with Spikes. It also helps against Calm Mind sweepers such as Arceus-Dark without Refresh, Lunala, Primal Kyogre, and Arceus-Ground. Power Whip provides Ferrothorn with a powerful STAB attack, hitting most foes that do not resist it for respectable amounts of damage and 2HKOing defensive Primal Kyogre most of the time.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Special Defense investment with a Sassy nature maximizes Ferrothorn's special bulk to check threats such as Primal Kyogre and Xerneas. Leftovers provides Ferrothorn with a solid form of passive recovery. Iron Barbs allows Ferrothorn to punish attackers that make contact. A Sassy nature with 0 IVs in Speed should be used with Gyro Ball to increase its power, but if it isn't being run, a Careful nature and 31 IVs in Speed should be used instead.

Usage Tips
========

Ferrothorn can switch in on Pokemon such as support Arceus or Primal Kyogre thanks to its defensive typing and set Spikes or use Leech Seed, which is very spammable in a meta that lacks Grass-types and guarantees passive recovery for Ferrothorn, wears down opposing Pokemon, and helps a teammate that switches into the affected Pokemon. Protect can be useful to PP stall attacks such as Sacred Fire from Ho-Oh and Moongeist Beam from Lunala as well as scout a foe's Fire-type attacks and Focus Blast to keep Ferrothorn safe. However, it should be also used cautiously, as it can give setup sweepers such as Rayquaza and Mega Lucario a free turn. Avoid switching Ferrothorn in too many times if it is not healthy or if the opponent has set entry hazards in order to keep it healthy to check threats such as Primal Kyogre and Fairy-types. Ferrothorn can be used as as a status absorber, as it can switch in on common status users such as Lugia, support Arceus, and Zygarde-C, since it's immune to Toxic and doesn't mind paralysis, though burns are a bit annoying, since it cancels Leftovers recovery and makes Ferrothorn unable to deal huge damage with its STAB moves. Gyro Ball should be used carefully due to its low PP.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can handle Fire-types, such Arceus-Water and Primal Kyogre, which are two solid checks to Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon, are good partners for Ferrothorn. Zygarde-C fits very well with Ferrothorn, as it's a decent counter to Fire-types, checks physical attackers such as Mega Salamence, Mega Lucario, and Arceus-Ghost very well, and can use Dragon Tail to phaze setup sweepers and rack up Spikes damage. In return, Ferrothorn can switch into most Ice Beam users and handle Primal Kyogre and Fairy-types. Arceus-Ground is a decent check to Primal Groudon and Mega Lucario and can threaten Ho-Oh and balance teams that don't mind Ferrothorn with its Swords Dance set. Ho-Oh is a good switch-in to Xerneas lacking Thunder or Hidden Power Rock, is able to check Mega Lucario lacking Stone Edge and mixed Rock Polish and defensive variants of Primal Groudon, and can spread burns with Sacred Fire, while appreciating the Spikes, Toxic immunity, and Leech Seed support that Ferrothorn provides. Fairy-types such as Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy, and Magearna can beat Mega Sableye and provide cleric support and act as a solid check to Substitute Zygarde-C and other Dragon-types. Mega Gengar can trap Ferrothorn's threats or pick up KOs on weakened Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, and Rayquaza, and can use Destiny Bond to get rid of Ho-Oh. Yveltal and Arceus-Dark are two good checks to Arceus-Ghost and Mega Gengar.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Chople Berry allows Ferrothorn to survive a strong Fighting-type move once, allowing it to check Geomancy Xerneas and Life Orb Deoxys-A more easily. Thunder Wave can be used if your team needs speed control, as Ferrothorn can easily cripple Pokemon such as Lunala and Yveltal with it, but Power Whip is preferred over Gyro Ball then, as the latter will deal less damage to paralyzed foes. Knock Off isn't a common option, but it can cripple some attackers that run Choice items, Life Orb, Leftovers, or Power Herb by removing it. Stealth Rock can be used over Spikes if Ferrothorn's teammates don't run it, but Ferrothorn can't set it reliably, as it fears most of the common Stealth Rock users such as Primal Groudon and Dialga.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-type Moves**: Ho-Oh can switch into Ferrothorn safely and forces it out, Primal Groudon can also easily switch into Ferrothorn, and set up Stealth Rock, Swords Dance, or Rock Polish while Ferrothorn switches out, but Ferrothorn can wear down Primal Groudon slowly with Leech Seed and Spikes. Attackers such as Mewtwo, Yveltal, Arceus, Solgaleo, Dialga, and Rayquaza can run Fire-type moves to beat Steel-types and Ferrothorn, and some Arceus formes such as Arceus-Normal, Arceus-Water, and Arceus-Fairy sometimes carry Fire Blast to beat it.

**Mega Sableye**: Thanks to Magic Bounce, Mega Sableye can switch into Ferrothorn and bounce back Spikes and Leech Seed while taking little damage from Gyro Ball and Power Whip, potentially burning it with Will-O-Wisp, and forcing Ferrothorn to switch out.

**Physical Wallbreakers**: Strong attackers such as Mega Salamence and Arceus-Ghost can set up on Ferrothorn and easily break through it with strong physical attacks.

**Fighting-type Moves**: Pokemon such as Mega Lucario, Mega Blaziken, Mega Mewtwo X, and Pheromosa can easily beat Ferrothorn with their STAB moves, while the last two can also set up on it. Pokemon such as Lunala, Mega Mewtwo Y, and Deoxys-A often run Fighting-type coverage moves, which pose a threat to Ferrothorn.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Yveltal, Mewtwo, and Deoxys-S can shut down Ferrothorn, making it unable to set Spikes and Leech Seed or scout moves. While it can do damage back with Gyro Ball, it will usually switch out.

**Mega Scizor**: Mega Scizor can use Ferrothorn as setup fodder if it packs Swords Dance, and it doesn't mind Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, or Ferrothorn's STAB moves. Defog variants can easily pivot into Ferrothorn and remove Spikes.

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
* But its typing gives it common weaknesses to the Fighting-type and Fire-type
Minor point, but I wouldn't really call either of these common types. Fighting-type are nearly non-existent (Mega Luke is pretty much the only common one), while there are only 2 good Fire-types, one of which doesn't even always run a Fire-type move. Might just be better to say "Exploitable Fire-type weakness" or something along those lines.

Despite its good Defense stat, Ferrothorn can't handle physical threats such as Mega Salamence, Arceus-Ghost and Offensive Primal Groudon well without investement.
You can probs just cut the "without investment" part since even with invest you're still not much more than a soft check.

and always hit the last, meaning that Ferrothorn can be easily beaten if not played right.
Language here isn't clear enough to communicate your point.

Set

I think my preference on the slashing is:
move 3: Gyro Ball / Power Whip

Other QC please post input. Toxic is very handy for support Arc, Ho-Oh, set up mons, and some other things, and I think its worth moving up from just a moves mention. I've never run SR on this mon and I wouldn't really ever want to; you might want to move SR from moves into OO. Power Whip is most useful for being able to smack Primal Kyogre, Arc Ground, and Arc Water outside of residual damage.

Usage Tips

* Ferrothorn can switch-in on Pokémon such as Support Arceus or Primal-Kyogre thanks to its defensive typing and set either Stealth Rock or Spikes
Since I don't think SR is a very good choice on this mon, I probs wouldn't mention it here.

Checks and Counters

I'd have the first section be something along the lines of "Fire-type moves", since there are a few Pokemon that aren't Fire-types that may run this coverage to blast through Ferro. Instead of super effective coverage, I'd make it "Fighting-types". I'd put Mega Sab as #2 check.

Add these things and I can stamp.

Overview
Minor point, but I wouldn't really call either of these common types. Fighting-type are nearly non-existent (Mega Luke is pretty much the only common one), while there are only 2 good Fire-types, one of which doesn't even always run a Fire-type move. Might just be better to say "Exploitable Fire-type weakness" or something along those lines.

You can probs just cut the "without investment" part since even with invest you're still not much more than a soft check.

Language here isn't clear enough to communicate your point.

Set

I think my preference on the slashing is:
move 3: Gyro Ball / Power Whip

Other QC please post input. Toxic is very handy for support Arc, Ho-Oh, set up mons, and some other things, and I think its worth moving up from just a moves mention. I've never run SR on this mon and I wouldn't really ever want to; you might want to move SR from moves into OO. Power Whip is most useful for being able to smack Primal Kyogre, Arc Ground, and Arc Water outside of residual damage.

Usage Tips

Since I don't think SR is a very good choice on this mon, I probs wouldn't mention it here.

Checks and Counters

I'd have the first section be something along the lines of "Fire-type moves", since there are a few Pokemon that aren't Fire-types that may run this coverage to blast through Ferro. Instead of super effective coverage, I'd make it "Fighting-types". I'd put Mega Sab as #2 check.

Add these things and I can stamp.
done

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
and always hit the last, meaning that Ferrothorn can be easily beaten if it's not healthy throughout the battle.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you're trying to say is something along the lines of "Ferrothorn is very slow, thus will usually move second, and as a result needs to maintain a buffer of HP.

Otherwise this looks solid for the most part.

QC: 1/3

I'd probably drop Power Whip to Moves - its never used and hard to get much usage out of (its targets are limited and letting Gengar in for free isn't fun at all) meaning that its probably better to be noted without a slash. Toxic helps a bunch vs CM Arceus or any boosting threat that can slowly boost and heal off Gyro + Leech damage, altho some of them are weak to Steel (Rock/Ice/Fairy) so its mainly Dark and Ground. It still helps to take them down or soften them much more for a teammate. Mention details like this alongside Toxic in Moves. Minority's slashing is fine to me outside of the Power Whip slash, as 3 targets and its extreme rarity on Ferrothorn sets I see and use make it hard to justify it being slashed.

If Stealth Rock isn't being mentioned (its in OO) then drop it from the first bullet in Usage Tips. The third bullet mentions "moonblast geist" - Lunala's move is Moongeist Beam. The same bullet also mentions Ho-Oh as a setup sweeper - change this to something more relevant like Mega Lucario for example. Ferrothorn can also be used as a solid check to Z-Geomancy Xerneas (any set without Focus Blast or HP Fire really) which deserves a description/mention. Leech Seed also has the benefit of helping a teammate switch into whatever Pokemon is forcing Ferrothorn out (support Arceus vs Mence/Groudon etc), so thats an extra thing to note. A tip to help describe when to use Spikes or Leech Seed after forcing something out is probably good information as well.

Team Options notes Ho-Oh is a good switch to HP Fire Xerneas which is still pretty rare (I think only Specs gets away with it?) - this could be changed to "Xerneas lacking Thunder or HP Rock" (Z-Geo can still beat it in a last mon scenario but thats what Ferrothorn is for). Be careful when mentioning that Ho-Oh checks RP Groudon - it checks the mixed set but not the physical one as it is very likely running Stone Edge so I'd be sure to clarify that. Ho-Oh and Zygarde could also be noted as being helpful against Mega Lucario.

Mention why Power Whip would be preferred if Thunder Wave was used for extra information.

Blaziken and Pheromosa can see mentions in the Fire/Fighting-type sections - Blaziken may not be relevant at the moment but the Blazikenite release may change that so I'd put it in there for the sake of information. Blaze does resist both STABs after all. Pheromosa just one shots it if it can get in like the other Fighting types.

I'll stamp after the changes.

the fire-types moves section in c&c should be expanded to mention Dialga and Solgaleo. List out the Arceus formes that are most likely to carry Fire-type coverage. Add Mega Scizor to C&C as well.

QC 3/3

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
GP amcheck, this does not count as an official GP check and you do not have to implement it unless a GP member says so.

ADD (AC) = Add Comma (AH) = Add Hyphen
REMOVE (RC) = Remove Comma (RH) = Remove Hyphen
(comments)

[OVERVIEW]

Ferrothorn has a decent Grass and / Steel typing, which gives it a set of resistances (every typing except pure Normal does this, I assume you meant 'useful set of resistances' or something similar), allowing Ferrothorn to check a plenty plethora of threats such as Primal- (RH) (add space) Kyogre, Z-Geomancy Xerneas, and support Arceus varients variants thanks to its high defensive stats. It has access to a plenty of good utility moves such as Spikes, Toxic, (AC) and Leech Seed, making it a decent choice in for any balanced team. It has a pretty good attack stat coupled to two powerful STAB moves, making it not a deadweight against offensive threats such as Mega Gengar, Xerneas, Arceus-Ground, (AC) and Yveltal. Despite all those good points, its typing gives it an exploitable Fire and Fighting-types weaknesses, which makes Ferrothorn threatened by common Pokemon such as Ho-Oh, Mega Lucario, Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon, (AC) and offensive threats that run a Fighting- or Fire-type attack as coverage move such as Mewtwo, Lunala, Dialga, Deoxys-A, (AC) and Rayquaza,. (comma -> period) and It's also easily beaten by wallbreakers such as Mega Salamence, Arceus-Ghost, (AC) and offensive Primal Groudon. Lastly, it's rendered useless by Taunt users such as Yveltal and Mega Gengar, and has to rely on Leech Seed and Leftovers to recover, with the lacuna of always moving second (consider changing the wording, since, as a non-native speaker, it took me a bit to figure out what 'lacuna' meant), meaning that Ferrothorn can be easily beaten if it's not healthy throughout the battle.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes damages grounded opposing Pokemon in order to worn it wear them down and help pave the way for cleaners in the back support a teammate's sweep (wording was unclear). Leech Seed can be used to deal chip damage to switch-ins and gradually recover more Ferrothorn's HP, which is especially helpful if in combination with Leftovers, Protect, and Iron Barbs. Gyro Ball, backed by Ferrothorn's extremely low Speed, deals serious damage to many offensive threats such as Mega Gengar, Yveltal, and Mewtwo. Protect, in tandem with Leech Seed and Leftovers, grants Ferrothorn even more recovery and the ability of to scouting a foe's opponent's next move. Toxic is a solid option which lets to let Ferrothorn crippling cripple its switch-ins and spread Toxic poison, it forces thus forcing many switches and can easily wearing down the opposing team in tandem with Spikes,. (comma -> period) It also helps against Calm Mind setup sweepers such as Lunala, Primal Kyogre, Arcueeus-Ground, and Arceus-Dark without Refresh (are all of these w/o Refresh or just Arceus-Dark? if the latter, move it to the start of the list). Power Whip provides Ferrothorn with a powerful STAB attack, hitting most foes that do not resist it for respectable amounts of damage and 2HKOing Defensive Primal Kyogre most of the time.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Special Defense investment with a Sassy nature maximizes Ferrothorn's special bulk to check threats such as Primal Kyogre and Xerneas. Leftovers provides Ferrothorn with a solid form of passive recovery from turn to turn. Iron Barbs allows Ferrothorn to punish physical attackers that make contact (it also punishes special or mixed attackers that make contact). A Sassy nature with 0 IVs in Speed stat should be used with Gyro Ball to increase its power, but if it isn't runned being run, a Careful nature and 31 IVs in Speed stat should be used instead.

Usage Tips
========

Ferrothorn can switch- (RH) (add space) in on Pokémon such as support Arceus or Primal- (RH) (add space) Kyogre thanks to its defensive typing and set Spikes or use Leech Seed, which is very spammable in a meta that lacks Grass-types, it and guarantees passive recovery for Ferrothorn, wears down opposite opposing Pokemon, and helps a teammate that switch-in switches into the affected Pokemon that is seeded. Protect can be useful to PP stall attacks such as Sacred Fire from Ho-Oh or Moongeist Blast Beam from Lunala as well as scout opponent's a foe's Fire-type attacks and Focus Blast to keep Ferrothorn safe and avoid getting beat down by those,. (comma -> period) However, (AC) it should be also used cautiously, as it can give to setup sweepers such as Rayquaza and Mega Lucario a free turn to set up (it's already heavily implied that this is for set up). Avoid switch-in switching Ferrothorn in too many times if it is not recovered healthy or if the opponent has set entry hazards in order to keep Ferrothorn healthy to check threats such as Primal- (RH) (add space) Kyogre and Fairy-types. Ferrothorn can be used as as a status absorber, as it can switch in on common status users such as Lugia, support Arceus, (AC) or Zygarde-C, (AC) since it's immune to Toxic and don't care of doesn't mind paralysis, though burn is a bit annoying since it cancels Leftovers recovery and makes Ferrothorn not able unable to deal huge damages with its STAB moves. Gyro Ball should be used carefully due to its low PPs.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can handle Fire-types, such Arceus-Water and Primal- (RH) (add space) Kyogre, which are two solid checks to Ho-Oh and Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon, are good partners for Ferrothorn (you just say 'Pokemon that can handle Fire-types). (AP) The former can also provide Defog for the rest of the team. Zygarde-C fits very well with Ferrothorn, as it's a decent counter to Fire-types, checks very well physical attackers such as Mega Salamence, Mega Lucario, (AC) and Arceus-Ghost very well, (AC) and can use Dragon Tail to phase phaze setup sweepers and rack up Spikes damage. In return, (AC) Ferrothorn can switch- (RH) (add space) into on most Ice Beam users and handle Primal- (RH) (add space) Kyogre and Fairy-types. Arceus-Ground is a decent check to Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon and Mega Lucario, and can threaten balanced teams with its Swords Dance set (does this help Ferrothorn? why?). Ho-Oh is a good switch-in to Xerneas lacking Thunder or Hidden Power Rock, (AC) is as well as being able to check Mega Lucario lacking Stone Edge, (RC) and mixed Rock Polish and defensive varients of Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon, (AC) and can spread burns with Sacred Fire, and appreciates while aprreciating the Spikes, Toxic immunity, (AC) and Leech Seed support that Ferrothorn provides. Fairy-types such as Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy, and Magearna can beat Mega Sableye and provide cleric support, Defog, (AC) or a solid check to Substitute Zygarde-C and other Dragon-types. Mega Gengar appreciates Spikes support, as it forces many switches throughout the battle (Mega Gengar forces switches? This might be me being bad at Ubers, but doesn't Mega Gengar prevent switches?), and can trap Ferrothorn's threats or pick up weakened Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon, Mega Salamence, and Rayquaza, or it can use Destiny Bond to get rid of Ho-Oh. Yveltal and Arceus-(AH)Dark are two good checks to Arceus-Ghost and Mega-Gengar.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Chople Berry allows Ferrothorn to survive a strong Fighting-type move once, allowing it to check more easily Geomancy Xerneas and Life Orb Deoxys-A. Thunder Wave can be used if your team needs speed control, as Ferrothorn can easily cripple Pokemon such as Lunala and Yveltal with it, but Power Whip is preferred over Gyro Ball then, as Gyro Ball the latter will deal less damage to paralysed paralyzed foe (I assume you meant Power Whip > Gyro Ball). Knock Off isn't a common option, but it can cripple some attackers that run Choice items, Life Orb, Leftovers, and or Power herb by knocking it off removing it. Stealth Rock can be used over Spikes if Ferrothorn's teammates don't run it, but Ferrothorn can't set it reliably, (AC) as it fears most of the common Stealth Rock users such as Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon and Dialga.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types moves**: Ho-Oh can switch on into Ferrothorn safely and forces it out, Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon can also easily switch-on into Ferrothorn, and set Stealth Rock, (AC) or Swords Dance, (AC) or Rock Polish while Ferrothorn switches- (RH) (add space) out, but Ferrothorn can wear down Primal Groudon slowly with Leech Seed and Spikes chip. Attackers such as Mewtwo, Yveltal, Arceus, Solgaleo, Dialga, (AC) and Rayquaza can run Fire-types moves to beat Steel-types and Ferrothorn, and some Arceus forms such as Arceus-Normal, Arceus-Water, and Arceus-Fairy sometimes carry Fire Blast to beat it.

**Mega Sableye**: Thanks to Magic Bounce, Mega Sableye can switch on into Ferrothorn, bounces back Spikes and Leech Seed, takes few while taking little damage from Gyro Ball and Power Whip, (AC) and can potentially burning it with Will-O-Wisp, (AC) and forces forcing Ferrothorn to switch- (RH) (add space) out.

**Physical Wallbreakers**: Strong attackers such as Mega- (RH) (add space) Salamence and Arceus-Ghost can set (add space) up on Ferrothorn and easily break through it with strong physical attacks.

**Fighting-types moves**: Pokemon such as Mega Lucario, Mega Blaziken, Mega Mewtwo- (RH) (add space) X, and Pheromosa can easily beat Ferrothorn with their STAB moves, while the former two formers can also set (add space) up on it. Pokemons such as Lunala, Mega Mewtwo- (RH) (add space) Y and Deoxys-A often run Fighting-type coverage moves, which pose a threat to Ferrothorn.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Yveltal, Mewtwo, (AC) and or Deoxys-Speed can shut down Ferrothorn, making it not able unable to set Spikes or and Leech Seed and or scout moves,. (comma -> period) While it can do damage back with Gyro Ball, (AC) but it will rarely stay on those and usually switch- (RH) (add space) out.

**Mega Scizor**: Mega Scizor can use Ferrothorn as a setup fodder if it packs Swords Dance, and doesn't mind Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, and Ferrothorn's STAB moves. Defog varients variants can easily pivot into Ferrothorn and remove Spikes.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
talkingtree
add

remove
comments

Xayah
ADD (AC) = Add Comma (AH) = Add Hyphen

REMOVE (RC) = Remove Comma (RH) = Remove Hyphen
(comments)

[OVERVIEW]

Ferrothorn has a decent Grass and / Steel typing, which gives it a set of resistances (every typing except pure Normal does this, I assume you meant 'useful set of resistances' or something similar) (technically Dark/Psychic also fails to grant resistances, but Xayah's point stands), allowing Ferrothorn to check a plenty plethora of threats such as Primal- (RH) (add space) Kyogre, Z-Geomancy Xerneas, and support Arceus varients variants thanks to its high defensive stats. It has access to a plenty of good utility moves such as Spikes, Toxic, (AC) and Leech Seed, making it a decent choice in for any balanced team. It has a pretty good Attack stat coupled to with two powerful STAB moves, making it not a dead (add space) weight against offensive threats such as Mega Gengar, Xerneas, Arceus-Ground, (AC) and Yveltal. Despite all those good points, its typing gives it an exploitable Fire and Fighting-types weaknesses, which makes Ferrothorn threatened by common Pokemon such as Ho-Oh, Mega Lucario, Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon, (AC) and offensive threats that run a Fighting- or Fire-type attack as coverage move such as Mewtwo, Lunala, Dialga, Deoxys-A, (AC) and Rayquaza,. (comma -> period) and It's also easily beaten by wallbreakers such as Mega Salamence, Arceus-Ghost, (AC) and offensive Primal Groudon. Lastly, it's rendered near useless by Taunt users such as Yveltal and Mega Gengar, (you say in Moves that Gyro Ball deals significant damage to both, so I'm assuming it's not totally useless and that should be clarified) and has to rely on Leech Seed and Leftovers to recover, with the lacuna of always moving second (consider changing the wording, since, as a non-native speaker, it took me a bit to figure out what 'lacuna' meant), meaning that Ferrothorn can be easily beaten if it's not healthy throughout the battle.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes damages grounded opposing Pokemon in order to worn it wear them down and help pave the way for cleaners in the back support a teammate's sweep (wording was unclear). Leech Seed can be used to deal chip damage to switch-ins and gradually recover more Ferrothorn's HP, which is especially helpful if in combination with Leftovers, Protect, and Iron Barbs. Gyro Ball, backed by Ferrothorn's extremely low Speed, deals serious damage to many offensive threats such as Mega Gengar, Yveltal, and Mewtwo. Protect, in tandem with Leech Seed and Leftovers, grants Ferrothorn even more recovery and the ability of to scouting a foe's opponent's next move. Toxic is a solid option which lets to let Ferrothorn crippling cripple its switch-ins and spread Toxic poison, it forces thus forcing many switches and can easily wearing down the opposing team in tandem with Spikes,. (comma -> period) It also helps against Calm Mind setup sweepers such as Lunala, Primal Kyogre, Arcueeus-Ground, and Arceus-Dark without Refresh (are all of these w/o Refresh or just Arceus-Dark? if the latter, move it to the start of the list). Power Whip provides Ferrothorn with a powerful STAB attack, hitting most foes that do not resist it for respectable amounts of damage and 2HKOing Defensive Primal Kyogre most of the time.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Special Defense investment with a Sassy nature maximizes Ferrothorn's special bulk to check threats such as Primal Kyogre and Xerneas. Leftovers provides Ferrothorn with a solid form of passive recovery from turn to turn. Iron Barbs allows Ferrothorn to punish physical attackers that make contact (it also punishes special or mixed attackers that make contact). A Sassy nature with 0 IVs in Speed stat should be used with Gyro Ball to increase its power, but if it isn't runned being run, a Careful nature and 31 IVs in Speed stat should be used instead.

Usage Tips
========

Ferrothorn can switch- (RH) (add space) in on Pokéemon such as support Arceus or Primal- (RH) (add space) Kyogre thanks to its defensive typing and set Spikes or use Leech Seed, which is very spammable in a meta that lacks Grass-types, it and guarantees passive recovery for Ferrothorn, wears down opposite opposing Pokemon, and helps a teammate that switch-in switches into the affected Pokemon that is seeded. Protect can be useful to PP stall attacks such as Sacred Fire from Ho-Oh or Moongeist Blast Beam from Lunala as well as scout opponent's a foe's Fire-type attacks and Focus Blast to keep Ferrothorn safe and avoid getting beat down by those,. (comma -> period) However, (AC) it should be also used cautiously, as it can give to setup sweepers such as Rayquaza and Mega Lucario a free turn to set up (it's already heavily implied that this is for set up). Avoid switch-in switching Ferrothorn in too many times if it is not recovered healthy or if the opponent has set entry hazards in order to keep Ferrothorn healthy to check threats such as Primal- (RH) (add space) Kyogre and Fairy-types. Ferrothorn can be used as as a status absorber, as it can switch in on common status users such as Lugia, support Arceus, (AC) or Zygarde-C, (AC) since it's immune to Toxic and don't care of doesn't mind paralysis, though burn is a bit annoying since it cancels Leftovers recovery and makes Ferrothorn not able unable to deal huge damages with its STAB moves. Gyro Ball should be used carefully due to its low PPs.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can handle Fire-types, such Arceus-Water and Primal- (RH) (add space) Kyogre, which are two solid checks to Ho-Oh and Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon, are good partners for Ferrothorn (you just say 'Pokemon that can handle Fire-types). (AP) The former can also provide Defog for the rest of the team. (elaborate on why this is helpful to Ferrothorn? From my point of view it seems hurtful because it also removes any potential Spikes Ferrothorn has laid. This is more of a QC suggestion so maybe wait for their input) Zygarde-C fits very well with Ferrothorn, as it's a decent counter to Fire-types, checks very well physical attackers such as Mega Salamence, Mega Lucario, (AC) and Arceus-Ghost very well, (AC) and can use Dragon Tail to phase phaze setup sweepers and rack up Spikes damage. In return, (AC) Ferrothorn can switch- (RH) (add space) into on most Ice Beam users and handle Primal- (RH) (add space) Kyogre and Fairy-types. Arceus-Ground is a decent check to Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon and Mega Lucario, and can threaten balanced teams with its Swords Dance set (does this help Ferrothorn? why?). Ho-Oh is a good switch-in to Xerneas (not sure how this helps Ferrothorn - it already beats Xerneas handily without Ho-Oh's help) lacking Thunder or Hidden Power Rock, (AC) is as well as being able to check Mega Lucario lacking Stone Edge, (RC) and mixed Rock Polish and defensive varients of Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon, (AC) and can spread burns with Sacred Fire, and appreciates while aprreciating the Spikes, Toxic immunity, (AC) and Leech Seed support that Ferrothorn provides. Fairy-types such as Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy, and Magearna can beat Mega Sableye and provide cleric support, Defog, (AC) (again, how is Defog support helpful? simply stating a Pokemon's additional helpful role is fluff if it's not relevant to the Pokemon being analyzed) or a solid check to Substitute Zygarde-C and other Dragon-types. Mega Gengar appreciates Spikes support, as it forces many switches throughout the battle (Mega Gengar forces switches? This might be me being bad at Ubers, but doesn't Mega Gengar prevent switches?), and can trap Ferrothorn's threats or pick up weakened Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon, Mega Salamence, and Rayquaza, or it can use Destiny Bond to get rid of Ho-Oh. Yveltal and Arceus-(AH)Dark are two good checks to Arceus-Ghost and Mega-Gengar.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Chople Berry allows Ferrothorn to survive a strong Fighting-type move once, allowing it to check more easily Geomancy Xerneas and Life Orb Deoxys-A. Thunder Wave can be used if your team needs speed control, as Ferrothorn can easily cripple Pokemon such as Lunala and Yveltal with it, but Power Whip is preferred over Gyro Ball then, as Gyro Ball the latter will deal less damage to paralysed paralyzed foes (I assume you meant Power Whip > Gyro Ball). Knock Off isn't a common option, but it can cripple some attackers that run Choice items, Life Orb, Leftovers, and or Power Herb by knocking it off removing it. Stealth Rock can be used over Spikes if Ferrothorn's teammates don't run it, but Ferrothorn can't set it reliably, (AC) as it fears most of the common Stealth Rock users such as Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon and Dialga.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types Moves**: Ho-Oh can switch on into Ferrothorn safely and forces it out, Primal- (RH) (add space) Groudon can also easily switch-on into Ferrothorn, and set Stealth Rock, (AC) or Swords Dance, (AC) or Rock Polish while Ferrothorn switches- (RH) (add space) out, but Ferrothorn can wear down Primal Groudon slowly with Leech Seed and Spikes chip. Attackers such as Mewtwo, Yveltal, Arceus, Solgaleo, Dialga, (AC) and Rayquaza can run Fire-types moves to beat Steel-types and Ferrothorn, and some Arceus forms such as Arceus-Normal, Arceus-Water, and Arceus-Fairy sometimes carry Fire Blast to beat it.

**Mega Sableye**: Thanks to Magic Bounce, Mega Sableye can switch on into Ferrothorn, (RC) and bounces back Spikes and Leech Seed, takes few while taking little damage from Gyro Ball and Power Whip, (AC) and can potentially burning it with Will-O-Wisp, (AC) and forces forcing Ferrothorn to switch- (RH) (add space) out.

**Physical Wallbreakers**: Strong attackers such as Mega- (RH) (add space) Salamence and Arceus-Ghost can set (add space) up on Ferrothorn and easily break through it with strong physical attacks.

**Fighting-types Moves**: Pokemon such as Mega Lucario, Mega Blaziken, Mega Mewtwo- (RH) (add space) X, and Pheromosa can easily beat Ferrothorn with their STAB moves, while the former two formers can also set (add space) up on it. Pokemons such as Lunala, Mega Mewtwo- (RH) (add space) Y, (AC) and Deoxys-A often run Fighting-type coverage moves, which pose a threat to Ferrothorn.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Yveltal, Mewtwo, (AC) and or Deoxys-Speed can shut down Ferrothorn, making it not able unable to set Spikes or and Leech Seed and or scout moves,. (comma -> period) While it can do damage back with Gyro Ball, (AC) but it will rarely stay on those and usually switch- (RH) (add space) out.

**Mega Scizor**: Mega Scizor can use Ferrothorn as a setup fodder if it packs Swords Dance, and doesn't mind Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, and or Ferrothorn's STAB moves. Defog varients variants can easily pivot into Ferrothorn and remove Spikes.

Be careful implementing, there are a lot of comments in Team Options. Ubers QC might want to weigh in there.
GP 1/2

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
[OVERVIEW]

Ferrothorn has a decent Grass / Steel typing, (RC) which that (normally "which" is used for things that are nonrestrictive, but this seems very important, considering its typing is the first thing mentioned in the overview) gives it a useful set of resistances, allowing Ferrothorn it to check a plethora of threats such as Primal Kyogre, Z-Geomancy Xerneas, and support Arceus variants thanks to its high defensive stats. It has access to plenty of good utility moves such as Spikes, Toxic, and Leech Seed, making it a decent choice for any balanced balance team. It has a pretty good Attack stat coupled with two powerful STAB moves, making it not preventing it from being (sorry for the changes to voice, but the choppiness and casualness in this analysis is very annoying) dead weight against offensive threats such as Mega Gengar, Xerneas, Arceus-Ground, and Yveltal. Despite all of those good points, its Ferrothorn's typing gives it exploitable Fire and Fighting weaknesses, which makes Ferrothorn leaves it threatened by common Pokemon such as Ho-Oh, Mega Lucario, Primal Groudon, and offensive threats that run a Fighting- or Fire-type coverage move such as Mewtwo, Lunala, Dialga, Deoxys-A, and Rayquaza. It's also easily beaten by wallbreakers such as Mega Salamence, Arceus-Ghost, and offensive Primal Groudon. Lastly, it's rendered near useless by Taunt users such as Yveltal and Mega Gengar, (RC) and has to rely on Leech Seed and Leftovers to recover, with the drawback of always moving second, meaning that Ferrothorn can be easily beaten if it's not healthy throughout the battle.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes damages opposing grounded opposing (technically not wrong but choppy) Pokemon in order to wear them down and support a teammate's sweep. Leech Seed can be used to deal chip damage to switch-ins and gradually recover Ferrothorn's HP, which is especially helpful in combination with Leftovers, Protect, and Iron Barbs. Gyro Ball, backed by Ferrothorn's extremely low Speed, deals serious damage to many offensive threats such as Mega Gengar, Yveltal, and Mewtwo. Protect, in tandem with Leech Seed and Leftovers, grants Ferrothorn even more recovery and the ability to scout a foe's next move. Toxic is a solid option to let Ferrothorn cripple its switch-ins and spread poison, thus forcing many switches and easily wearing down the opposing team in tandem with Spikes. It also helps against Calm Mind sweepers such as Arceus-Dark without Refresh, Lunala, Primal Kyogre, and Arceus-Ground. Power Whip provides Ferrothorn with a powerful STAB attack, hitting most foes that do not resist it for respectable amounts of damage and 2HKOing defensive Primal Kyogre most of the time.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Special Defense investment with a Sassy nature maximizes Ferrothorn's special bulk to check threats such as Primal Kyogre and Xerneas. Leftovers provides Ferrothorn with a solid form of passive recovery. Iron Barbs allows Ferrothorn to punish attackers that make contact. A Sassy nature with 0 IVs in Speed should be used with Gyro Ball to increase its power, but if it isn't being run, a Careful nature and 31 IVs in Speed should be used instead.

Usage Tips
========

Ferrothorn can switch in on Pokemon such as support Arceus or Primal Kyogre thanks to its defensive typing and set Spikes or use Leech Seed, which is very spammable in a meta that lacks Grass-types and guarantees passive recovery for Ferrothorn, wears down opposing Pokemon, and helps a teammate that switches into the affected Pokemon. Protect can be useful to PP stall attacks such as Sacred Fire from Ho-Oh or and Moongeist Beam from Lunala as well as scout a foe's Fire-type attacks and Focus Blast to keep Ferrothorn safe. However, it should be also used cautiously, as it can give setup sweepers such as Rayquaza and Mega Lucario a free turn. Avoid switching Ferrothorn in too many times if it is not healthy or if the opponent has set entry hazards in order to keep Ferrothorn it healthy to check threats such as Primal Kyogre and Fairy-types. Ferrothorn can be used as as a status absorber, as it can switch in on common status users such as Lugia, support Arceus, or and Zygarde-C, since it's immune to Toxic and doesn't mind paralysis, though burn is a burns are a bit annoying, (AC) since it cancels Leftovers recovery and makes Ferrothorn unable to deal huge damage with its STAB moves. Gyro Ball should be used carefully due to its low PP.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can handle Fire-types, such Arceus-Water and Primal Kyogre, which are two solid checks to Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon, are good partners for Ferrothorn. Zygarde-C fits very well with Ferrothorn, as it's a decent counter to Fire-types, checks physical attackers such as Mega Salamence, Mega Lucario, and Arceus-Ghost very well, and can use Dragon Tail to phaze setup sweepers and rack up Spikes damage. In return, Ferrothorn can switch into most Ice Beam users and handle Primal Kyogre and Fairy-types. Arceus-Ground is a decent check to Primal Groudon and Mega Lucario, (RC) and can threaten Ho-Oh and balanced balance teams that doesn't don't mind Ferrothorn with its Swords Dance set. Ho-Oh is a good switch-in to Xerneas lacking Thunder or Hidden Power Rock, is able to check Mega Lucario lacking Stone Edge and mixed Rock Polish and defensive varients variants of Primal Groudon, and can spread burns with Sacred Fire, while aprreciating appreciating the Spikes, Toxic immunity, and Leech Seed support that Ferrothorn provides. Fairy-types such as Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy, and Magearna can beat Mega Sableye and provide cleric support, (RC) or and act as a solid check to Substitute Zygarde-C and other Dragon-types. Mega Gengar appreciates Spikes support, as it forces many switches throughout the battle (no it doesn't, it is literally used for its ability to trap and KO threats), and can trap Ferrothorn's threats or pick up KOs on weakened Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, and Rayquaza, or it and can use Destiny Bond to get rid of Ho-Oh. Yveltal and Arceus-Dark are two good checks to Arceus-Ghost and Mega Gengar (RH).

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Chople Berry allows Ferrothorn to survive a strong Fighting-type move once, allowing it to check more easily Geomancy Xerneas and Life Orb Deoxys-A more easily. Thunder Wave can be used if your team needs speed control, as Ferrothorn can easily cripple Pokemon such as Lunala and Yveltal with it, but Power Whip is preferred over Gyro Ball then, as the latter will deal less damage to paralyzed foes. Knock Off isn't a common option, but it can cripple some attackers that run Choice items, Life Orb, Leftovers, or Power Herb by removing it. Stealth Rock can be used over Spikes if Ferrothorn's teammates don't run it, but Ferrothorn can't set it reliably, as it fears most of the common Stealth Rock users such as Primal Groudon and Dialga.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-type Moves**: Ho-Oh can switch into Ferrothorn safely and forces it out, Primal Groudon can also easily switch into Ferrothorn, and set up Stealth Rock, Swords Dance, or Rock Polish while Ferrothorn switches out, but Ferrothorn can wear down Primal Groudon slowly with Leech Seed and Spikes. Attackers such as Mewtwo, Yveltal, Arceus, Solgaleo, Dialga, and Rayquaza can run Fire-type moves to beat Steel-types and Ferrothorn, and some Arceus forms formes such as Arceus-Normal, Arceus-Water, and Arceus-Fairy sometimes carry Fire Blast to beat it.

**Mega Sableye**: Thanks to Magic Bounce, Mega Sableye can switch into Ferrothorn and bounce back Spikes and Leech Seed, (RC) while taking little damage from Gyro Ball and Power Whip, potentially burning it with Will-O-Wisp, and forcing Ferrothorn to switch out.

**Physical Wallbreakers**: Strong attackers such as Mega Salamence and Arceus-Ghost can set up on Ferrothorn and easily break through it with strong physical attacks.

**Fighting-type Moves**: Pokemon such as Mega Lucario, Mega Blaziken, Mega Mewtwo X, and Pheromosa can easily beat Ferrothorn with their STAB moves, while the former last two can also set up on it. Pokemon such as Lunala, Mega Mewtwo Y, and Deoxys-A often run Fighting-type coverage moves, which pose a threat to Ferrothorn.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Yveltal, Mewtwo, and Deoxys-S can shut down Ferrothorn, making it unable to set Spikes and Leech Seed or scout moves. While it can do damage back with Gyro Ball, it will usually switch out.

**Mega Scizor**: Mega Scizor can use Ferrothorn as setup fodder if it packs Swords Dance, and it doesn't mind Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, or Ferrothorn's STAB moves. Defog variants can easily pivot into Ferrothorn and remove Spikes.
GP 2/2

im not kidding when i say address my comments and ask QC for their opinions

[OVERVIEW]

Ferrothorn has a decent Grass / Steel typing, (RC) which that (normally "which" is used for things that are nonrestrictive, but this seems very important, considering its typing is the first thing mentioned in the overview) gives it a useful set of resistances, allowing Ferrothorn it to check a plethora of threats such as Primal Kyogre, Z-Geomancy Xerneas, and support Arceus variants thanks to its high defensive stats. It has access to plenty of good utility moves such as Spikes, Toxic, and Leech Seed, making it a decent choice for any balanced balance team. It has a pretty good Attack stat coupled with two powerful STAB moves, making it not preventing it from being (sorry for the changes to voice, but the choppiness and casualness in this analysis is very annoying) dead weight against offensive threats such as Mega Gengar, Xerneas, Arceus-Ground, and Yveltal. Despite all of those good points, its Ferrothorn's typing gives it exploitable Fire and Fighting weaknesses, which makes Ferrothorn leaves it threatened by common Pokemon such as Ho-Oh, Mega Lucario, Primal Groudon, and offensive threats that run a Fighting- or Fire-type coverage move such as Mewtwo, Lunala, Dialga, Deoxys-A, and Rayquaza. It's also easily beaten by wallbreakers such as Mega Salamence, Arceus-Ghost, and offensive Primal Groudon. Lastly, it's rendered near useless by Taunt users such as Yveltal and Mega Gengar, (RC) and has to rely on Leech Seed and Leftovers to recover, with the drawback of always moving second, meaning that Ferrothorn can be easily beaten if it's not healthy throughout the battle.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes damages opposing grounded opposing (technically not wrong but choppy) Pokemon in order to wear them down and support a teammate's sweep. Leech Seed can be used to deal chip damage to switch-ins and gradually recover Ferrothorn's HP, which is especially helpful in combination with Leftovers, Protect, and Iron Barbs. Gyro Ball, backed by Ferrothorn's extremely low Speed, deals serious damage to many offensive threats such as Mega Gengar, Yveltal, and Mewtwo. Protect, in tandem with Leech Seed and Leftovers, grants Ferrothorn even more recovery and the ability to scout a foe's next move. Toxic is a solid option to let Ferrothorn cripple its switch-ins and spread poison, thus forcing many switches and easily wearing down the opposing team in tandem with Spikes. It also helps against Calm Mind sweepers such as Arceus-Dark without Refresh, Lunala, Primal Kyogre, and Arceus-Ground. Power Whip provides Ferrothorn with a powerful STAB attack, hitting most foes that do not resist it for respectable amounts of damage and 2HKOing defensive Primal Kyogre most of the time.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Ferrothorn can switch in on Pokemon such as support Arceus or Primal Kyogre thanks to its defensive typing and set Spikes or use Leech Seed, which is very spammable in a meta that lacks Grass-types and guarantees passive recovery for Ferrothorn, wears down opposing Pokemon, and helps a teammate that switches into the affected Pokemon. Protect can be useful to PP stall attacks such as Sacred Fire from Ho-Oh or and Moongeist Beam from Lunala as well as scout a foe's Fire-type attacks and Focus Blast to keep Ferrothorn safe. However, it should be also used cautiously, as it can give setup sweepers such as Rayquaza and Mega Lucario a free turn. Avoid switching Ferrothorn in too many times if it is not healthy or if the opponent has set entry hazards in order to keep Ferrothorn it healthy to check threats such as Primal Kyogre and Fairy-types. Ferrothorn can be used as as a status absorber, as it can switch in on common status users such as Lugia, support Arceus, or and Zygarde-C, since it's immune to Toxic and doesn't mind paralysis, though burn is a burns are a bit annoying, (AC) since it cancels Leftovers recovery and makes Ferrothorn unable to deal huge damage with its STAB moves. Gyro Ball should be used carefully due to its low PP.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can handle Fire-types, such Arceus-Water and Primal Kyogre, which are two solid checks to Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon, are good partners for Ferrothorn. Zygarde-C fits very well with Ferrothorn, as it's a decent counter to Fire-types, checks physical attackers such as Mega Salamence, Mega Lucario, and Arceus-Ghost very well, and can use Dragon Tail to phaze setup sweepers and rack up Spikes damage. In return, Ferrothorn can switch into most Ice Beam users and handle Primal Kyogre and Fairy-types. Arceus-Ground is a decent check to Primal Groudon and Mega Lucario, (RC) and can threaten Ho-Oh and balanced balance teams that doesn't don't mind Ferrothorn with its Swords Dance set. Ho-Oh is a good switch-in to Xerneas lacking Thunder or Hidden Power Rock, is able to check Mega Lucario lacking Stone Edge and mixed Rock Polish and defensive varients variants of Primal Groudon, and can spread burns with Sacred Fire, while aprreciating appreciating the Spikes, Toxic immunity, and Leech Seed support that Ferrothorn provides. Fairy-types such as Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy, and Magearna can beat Mega Sableye and provide cleric support, (RC) or and act as a solid check to Substitute Zygarde-C and other Dragon-types. Mega Gengar appreciates Spikes support, as it forces many switches throughout the battle (no it doesn't, it is literally used for its ability to trap and KO threats), and can trap Ferrothorn's threats or pick up KOs on weakened Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, and Rayquaza, or it and can use Destiny Bond to get rid of Ho-Oh. Yveltal and Arceus-Dark are two good checks to Arceus-Ghost and Mega Gengar (RH).

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Chople Berry allows Ferrothorn to survive a strong Fighting-type move once, allowing it to check more easily Geomancy Xerneas and Life Orb Deoxys-A more easily. Thunder Wave can be used if your team needs speed control, as Ferrothorn can easily cripple Pokemon such as Lunala and Yveltal with it, but Power Whip is preferred over Gyro Ball then, as the latter will deal less damage to paralyzed foes. Knock Off isn't a common option, but it can cripple some attackers that run Choice items, Life Orb, Leftovers, or Power Herb by removing it. Stealth Rock can be used over Spikes if Ferrothorn's teammates don't run it, but Ferrothorn can't set it reliably, as it fears most of the common Stealth Rock users such as Primal Groudon and Dialga.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-type Moves**: Ho-Oh can switch into Ferrothorn safely and forces it out, Primal Groudon can also easily switch into Ferrothorn, and set up Stealth Rock, Swords Dance, or Rock Polish while Ferrothorn switches out, but Ferrothorn can wear down Primal Groudon slowly with Leech Seed and Spikes. Attackers such as Mewtwo, Yveltal, Arceus, Solgaleo, Dialga, and Rayquaza can run Fire-type moves to beat Steel-types and Ferrothorn, and some Arceus forms formes such as Arceus-Normal, Arceus-Water, and Arceus-Fairy sometimes carry Fire Blast to beat it.

**Mega Sableye**: Thanks to Magic Bounce, Mega Sableye can switch into Ferrothorn and bounce back Spikes and Leech Seed, (RC) while taking little damage from Gyro Ball and Power Whip, potentially burning it with Will-O-Wisp, and forcing Ferrothorn to switch out.

**Fighting-type Moves**: Pokemon such as Mega Lucario, Mega Blaziken, Mega Mewtwo X, and Pheromosa can easily beat Ferrothorn with their STAB moves, while the former last two can also set up on it. Pokemon such as Lunala, Mega Mewtwo Y, and Deoxys-A often run Fighting-type coverage moves, which pose a threat to Ferrothorn.

GP 2/2

im not kidding when i say address my comments and ask QC for their opinions
mgar when mega evolved forces switches because the opponent don't want its extrem killer, fairy-type or his geoxern check (for example) trapped so he switches more frequently, that's what i meant

Otherwise, implemented and ready to get uploaded after QC/Kris approval

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)