First XY team, help me out!

Gardevoir or Aegislash?

• Gardevoir

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gardevoir(Mega)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hey everyone, I just made an account on the forum because I'm in need of some advice. I'm sorry if I don't get all the rules right, please go easy on me.
So, I've been working on my first competitive team for the last few weeks, and I'm looking for an idea of who the last member of my team should be. This is it so far:

Jolteon(M)
Naive nature/Volt Absorb
@(not sure what item yet)
-EVs in Speed and SpAtk-
Shadow Ball
Volt Switch
T-bolt
Dig

Having max Speed, I have yet to see a time where Jolteon doesn't get the first hit. Though I haven't fought anything really fast, like Crobat- I'm confident that Jolteon is right up there with them. I have the Ground HPower there to cover other electric types, which comes in handy because of Jolty's Volt Absorb. And of course, the Shadow Ball for type coverage, etc etc.

Noivern(F)
Timid nature/Infiltrator
@(think I'll do life orb for her)
-EVs in Speed and SpAtk-
Draco Meteor
Roost
Boom Blast
Hurricane/Super Fang

I just recently added Noivern to the team, so I haven't gotten to use her much yet. But from what I've seen, pretty awesome. The Life Orb, max SpAtk EVs, and STAB Draco Meteor can be deadly. The speed really helps fit a Roost or two in there, and I don't see any Dragonites being a threat anytime soon.

Breloom(M)
Jolly nature/Poison Heal
Toxic Orb
-EVs in Speed and Atk-
Substitute
Power-Up Punch (subject to change)
Seed Bomb
Facade

Breloom can be my secret weapon or first down depending on how wisely I choose his moves. The Toxic Orb/Poison Heal combo is great, but the Facade is where it all really comes together. The 140 damage hits can really hurt lots of Pokemon. The only problem is his defense, hence the Substitute. I may be changing out the Power-Up Punch for something better in the future, but for now the extra stages of attack are useful.

Houndoom(M)
Modest Nature/Flash Fire
@Houndoomite(may not end up my mega)
-EVs in Speed and SpAtk-
Nasty Plot
Dark Pulse
Flamethrower
Hidden Power (fighting)

When I saw Mega Houndoom, I was instantly ready for this guy on my team. Since Houndoom is (one of) my favorite Pokemon, I was eager to make this guy a badass sweeper. He does fit the part well. Low Defense, but Houndoom's max Speed EVs make up for it. He rarely needs to set up Nasty Plot or anything to deal 60% with Dark Pulse or Fthrower on something with 1x effectiveness. When he gets the chance to set up with multiple Nasty Plots and Mega Evolution, you'd better run.

Starmie
Timid nature/Natural Cure
@(not sure what item yet)
-EVs in HP and Speed (plus about 30 in defense- at the expense of not maxing speed)-
Psychic
Brine
Recover
Rapid Spin

Starmie is also a recent addition to the team. I haven't had much opportunity to see how Starmie reacts to being hit with the max HP EVs and everything, but the Brine is very useful in place of Scald. The double power on Pokemon with 50% or less is so useful for finishing guys off after my guys have fainted or switched out.

So yeah, that's pretty much my team so far. I really wanted to choose pokemon I liked, and I did, so I'm really happy with these guys so far. If you have any suggestions or concerns, please let me know. Now, for the matter at hand, I want to decide the last member of my team. I'm trying to cover as many types as I can so I want to decide between Gardevoir or Aegislash. I could use mega Gardevoir in place of mega Houndoom, or I could throw in the Aegislash (which seems to be pretty deadly among the new 6th gen pokemon) So, if you have the time to help, just leave a comment and tell me which one is better. I'm hoping for someone out there to give me an idea of nature/ability/moveset, but if you can just give me the name, I'll take that. Thanks everyone, and once again, I apologize for however I may be breaking the forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mega Houndoom is not a good mega. It might have some obscure potential on a sun team, or as some bizarre anti-meta aegislash counter, but the reality is that you shouldn't use it.
Switch it for Mega Kangaskhan. As for a final pokemon...consider scarfed tyranitar with persuit because both kangaskhan, starmie and noivern will struggle vs ghosts.
Additionally, please switch jolteon for rotom-w.
Also, please make sure you use sets on smogon.com. There is a lot of nonsense moves on your team. Brine? Dig? Facade instead of spore? subsitute without focus punch?

Finally, please turn off that horrible poll at the top of your thread.

I'm inclined to agree with blue. Your team has a nice beginning so far but you seem to be a little lost on movesets and your true capabilities. What I really think you could benefit from is a gyarados. The giant water behemoth has always paired well with jolteon and could become an excellent mega for your team.
Also by using noivern which I do applaud, he is a bit of a glass cannon at times so I think you could do with a better hazards wizard like ferrothorn. Ferro would give you access to leech seed to aid your team in recovery and it's bulk does what Breloom cannot. Breloom is sensational but with the way your team seems to be focused at least in my opinion Breloom seems like the odd mon out. However if your choosing Pokemon you like then try giving Breloom a scouting spore position and lead on with a nice scizor, or even the aegislash that your poll talks about. You need some raw steel power to back you up.

Mega Houndoom is not a good mega. It might have some obscure potential on a sun team, or as some bizarre anti-meta aegislash counter, but the reality is that you shouldn't use it.
Switch it for Mega Kangaskhan. As for a final pokemon...consider scarfed tyranitar with persuit because both kangaskhan, starmie and noivern will struggle vs ghosts.
Additionally, please switch jolteon for rotom-w.
Also, please make sure you use sets on smogon.com. There is a lot of nonsense moves on your team. Brine? Dig? Facade instead of spore? subsitute without focus punch?

Finally, please turn off that horrible poll at the top of your thread.
Yeah, I definitely agree that some of the moves are a little off. Some of them are temporary, and others seem to be unavailable in XY (?) There's no TM for Scald or Focus Punch and no move tutor, so I guess I'll have to figure something out. I really wish I had a way to get Spore for Breloom, I was really excited to get him to work. Anyway, I'm considering the T-Tar you recommended, he seems like he may end up pretty useful. I'm hoping to find a way out of getting rid of Jolteon or Houndoom for at least a little while, as so far, they've proven to be pretty useful. I guess for the Ghost Type coverage, I should do the Aegislash, but I was also considering a Cofagrigus (which i won't even have access to until Pokemon Bank, oh well. Regardless, I have a lot of thinking to do about this team. Thanks for the input!

Also, I'm not sure how to turn off the polls, so I guess you'll have to deal with it, sorry.

Well the usual way to keep spore on Breloom was to level one until like late fourties or early fifties I thought and then breed that one with a new partner. Least that's how I use to breed spore into a new shroomish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)