PU Flareon

Overview
########

Access to a ridiculously strong STAB Flare Blitz means that Flareon is an incredibly strong wallbreaker in PU. While the rest of its offensive movepool is quite barren, Flareon has what it needs to get past most of the Pokemon that resist its powerful Flare Blitz. However, Flareon has quite a few problems. For an offensive Pokemon, Flareon is quite slow. This issue is not helped by the fact that Flareon is worn down incredibly easily between its weakness to Stealth Rock and the heavy recoil that comes with using Flare Blitz. Flareon also requires prediction to bypass Rock-types and Flash Fire users, while some Pokemon such as Pelipper can almost always switch into it without fear.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Quick Attack
move 4: Baton Pass / Double-Edge
ability: Flash Fire
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is a ridiculously powerful STAB move that lets Flareon 2HKO anything that does not resist it. Superpower hits Carracosta, Barbaracle, Golem, and Flash Fire users that resist or are immune to Flare Blitz hard. Quick Attack is mildly useful priority in late-game situations, particularly against offensive teams. Baton Pass helps ease prediction and pivot out of counters such as Pelipper, while Double-Edge can be used to 2HKO Pelipper after Stealth Rock but isn't useful for anything else. Flame Charge lets Flareon clean late-game but it isn't too useful in general, and Sleep Talk can be useful as Flareon is a good answer to most Sleep Powder users.

Set Details
========

The given spread maximizes Flareon's power and lets it take advantage of its decent Speed tier. Choice Band gives Flareon a notable boost in power, and Flash Fire provides a useful immunity and gives Flareon more opportunities to switch in.

Usage Tips
========

Using this set is relatively simple. The majority of the time Flareon should be using its powerful Flare Blitz, only using its other moves on predicted switches in the case of Superpower and Baton Pass or revenge killing a weakened threat in the case of Quick Attack. Flareon should generally not be switching in on any decently strong attacks aside from predicted Fire-type moves.

Team Options
========

This set works very well on sun and Sticky Web teams. The former give Flare Blitz enough power to 2HKO Pokemon that it could not otherwise, such as Pelipper and defensive Poliwrath, while the latter make Flareon much more effective against offensive teams by letting it outspeed many Pokemon. Entry hazard removal support from Swanna is useful as Flareon is weak to Stealth Rock. Similarly, Healing Wish Mr. Mime is a good partner to bring a Flareon that has been weakened by recoil back to full health, which is especially useful if its counters have since been severly weakened or eliminated. Hazards from Pokemon such as Golem and Roselia let Flareon wallbreak more effectively, while physical sweepers benefit from its ability to break walls. Finally, a Pokemon that can beat a +2 Carracosta or Barbaracle, such as Tangela and Poliwrath, is a useful partner to Flareon, as Carracosta and Barbaracle can easily set up on a Flareon locked into Flare Blitz.

Other Options
########

Flareon can make use of its other ability, Guts, on a Toxic Orb set in order to be able to switch moves and have a powerful Facade. However, Flareon does not need to switch moves very often and such a set wears Flareon down even faster. Flareon can also run a specially defensive set with Wish and Heal Bell; however, its Stealth Rock weakness, mediocre base HP, and competition from Pokemon such as Lickilicky reduce the effectiveness of defensive Flareon. Finally, Flareon can use a Choice Scarf in order to make up for its low Speed, though this sacrifices much of its wallbreaking capabilities.

Checks & Counters
########

**Pokemon That Resist Fire**: Pokemon that resist Fire are some of the only stops to Flareon. Pelipper is the best answer to Flareon because it resists both of Flareon's commonly used moves, though it must be wary of the rarer Double-Edge. Poliwrath is neutral to Superpower, but defensive variants are bulky enough to avoid the 2HKO and can heal off the damage with Rest. Rock-types and Flash Fire users, such as Carracosta, Golem, Ninetales, and Heatmor, can easily switch in on Flare Blitz but cannot take Superpower. It is worth noting that nothing walls Flareon in sun, as all of the Pokemon that avoid 2HKOs from Flareon's moves under normal circumstances are 2HKOed by a sun-boosted Flare Blitz.

**Faster Pokemon**: Flareon's low Speed tier means that most offensive Pokemon outspeed it, and its low physical bulk means that a lot of Pokemon can KO it without much prior damage. Examples include Scyther, Dodrio, Basculin, Purugly, Swanna, Sneasel, and Leafeon.

**Residual Damage**: Flareon's reliance on recoil moves, weakness to Stealth Rock, and common weaknesses make it very easily worn down. It usually only has enough HP to break through one or two walls before fainting, and a lot of Pokemon that cannot OHKO Flareon can easily do so if it has used Flare Blitz once.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Maybe CB can make use of Baton Pass to scout & punish Water-type switch-ins. The possibility of giving things like Raichu and Serperior easy setup opportunities is very appealing.

Maybe CB can make use of Baton Pass to scout & punish Water-type switch-ins. The possibility of giving things like Raichu and Serperior easy setup opportunities is very appealing.
Hmm, I actually hadn't thought of that before, but it seems really good, and helps ease prediction with costa and barbaracle and flash fire mons as well. The 4th slot on CB Flareon is already almost never useful, so I'll add that.

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll probably comment more on this later once it's at the Quality Control phase, but yeah, I'd put Baton Pass as a first slash, Flame Charge as a second slash (for a potential win condition purpose), and Double-Edge can simply go to Moves. The thing that really irks me about Double-Edge is that not only does common Fire-type and Water-type switch-ins are dealt with by Banded Superpower, but Flareon already has a tough time sticking around between its vulnerability to hazards and the amount of recoil it takes from the use of its main attack anyway (Flare Blitz). Otherwise, the first set looks good.

I'll probably comment more on this later once it's at the Quality Control phase, but yeah, I'd put Baton Pass as a first slash, Flame Charge as a second slash (for a potential win condition purpose), and Double-Edge can simply go to Moves. The thing that really irks me about Double-Edge is that not only does common Fire-type and Water-type switch-ins are dealt with by Banded Superpower, but Flareon already has a tough time sticking around between its vulnerability to hazards and the amount of recoil it takes from the use of its main attack anyway (Flare Blitz). Otherwise, the first set looks good.
The reason I have Double Edge is because it 2HKOes Pelipper after SR, but now that I think about it moves should be fine for that, you're probably better off BP'ing out of that anyway.

Also, if anyone reading this has used a set other than the two listed, don't hesitate to bring it up as I could imagine Guts being viable, and I remember that TRC used scarf a really long time ago, that might be decent too.

Will make more comments but for now definitely add sleep talk on the band set as it can then switch into tangela a lot easier, personally I would make it the second slash on the fourth slot.

Expand team options for both sets (the offensive set loves defog support from like swanna too and sticky web, the second set likes tangela, poliwrath, etc, same partners it had in bw nu lol)
Expand c&c to include rock types and stuff like defensive altaria, flash fire users, piloswine, garbodor somewhat(forces it to suicide basically) and FASTER POKEMON. That while they can't really switch into flareon all trouble it in a way or another

Do that and 1/3

In usage tips for the SpDef set, you should probably mention somewhere that if you're running Flare Blitz, throwing up a wish prior to use is a good idea, as it mitigates recoil.

Really there isn't much to say, you know what you're talking about better than most people lol. 2/3

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've seen a lot of guts sets recently and often i'm far more threatened by them than the cb set. Obviously it can hit just as hard but being able to switch up moves to hit a golem with superpower or a pelipper with facade is huge. Also Flame charge gives it some potential to sweep or at least makes it harder to check offensively. I think it probably deserves more than just other options.

I'd make a mention of flame plate. I actually used it on your sunny team rmt, and worked surprisingly well. It's nice to bluff the band while still being able to switch between moves when needed. oo at least imo, maybe a slash

Sorry if I missed this last time but
Is flame charge really worth a slash?
To me It seems an awful move go be locked into unless you are like in sun or something and Baton Pass is a lot superior

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Magnemite while writing this up make sure to beef up the C&C section as atm its just bullet points, I'm sure you were gonna do that anyways but just a friendly reminder.

Also I dont think Flame Charge is worth a slash, I could see it being useful in very few situations but I dont think I would use it over Baton Pass which would provide momentum, which I find to be overall better.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Team Options
========
Mention sweepers that enjoy wallbreaking
Maybe stealth rock, as its best switch in is crippled by rocks

**Fire Resists**: I dont think it is worth mentioning sun, as it isnt compulsory

Magnemite 3/3

meh a lot of flareon's niche is on sun, i might as well mention it. this is ready for gp.

also, this analysis it has taken this analysis approximately 776 times longer to go from being posted to getting 3 checks than anty's barbaracle analysis, not even bad

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Magnemite

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Access to a ridiculously strong STAB Flare Blitz means that Flareon is an incredibly strong wallbreaker in PU. While the rest of its offensive movepool is quite barren, Flareon has what it needs to get past Pokemon that resist its powerful Flare Blitz. However, Flareon has quite a few problems. For an offensive Pokemon, Flareon is quite slow. This issue is not helped by the fact that Flareon is worn down incredibly easily between its weakness to Stealth Rock and the heavy recoil that comes with using Flare Blitz. Flareon also requires prediction to bypass Rock-types and Flash Fire users, while some Pokemon such as Pelipper can almost always switch into it without fear.

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is a ridiculously powerful STAB move that lets Flareon 2HKO anything that does not resist it. Superpower hits Carracosta, Barbaracle, Golem, and Flash Fire users that resist or are immune to Flare Blitz hard. Quick Attack is mildly useful priority in late-game situations, particularly against offensive teams. Baton Pass helps ease prediction and pivot out of counters such as Pelipper, while Double-Edge can be used to 2HKO Pelipper after Stealth Rock, but it's not useful for anything else. Flame Charge lets Flareon clean late-game but it isn't too useful in general, and Sleep Talk can be useful as Flareon is a good answer to most Sleep Powder users

Set Details
========

The given spread maximizes Flareon's power, as well as letting it take advantage of its decent Speed tier. Choice Band gives Flareon a notable boost in power, while and Flash Fire provides a useful immunity and gives Flareon more opportunities to switch in.

Usage Tips
========

Using this set is relatively simple. The majority of the time Flareon should be using its powerful Flare Blitz, only using its other moves on predicted switches switch-ins in the case of Superpower and Baton Pass or revenge killing a weakened threat in the case of Quick Attack. Flareon should generally not be switching in on any decently strong attacks aside from predicted Fire-type moves.

Team Options
========

This set works very well on sun and Sticky Web teams. The former gives Flare Blitz enough power to 2HKO Pokemon that it could not otherwise, such as Pelipper and defensive Poliwrath, while the latter makes Flareon much more effective against offensive teams by letting it outspeed many offensive Pokemon found on these types of teams. Entry hazard removal support from Swanna is useful as Flareon is weak to Stealth Rock. Similarly, Healing Wish Mr. Mime is a good partner to bring a Flareon that has been weakened by recoil back to full health, which is especially useful if its counters have since been severly weakened or eliminated. Hazards from Pokemon such as Golem and Roselia let Flaeron wallbreak more effectively, while physical sweepers benefit from its ability to break walls. Finally, a Pokemon that can beat a +2 Carracosta or Barbaracle, such as Tangela and Poliwrath, is a useful partner to Flareon as Carracosta and Barbaracle can easily set up on a Flareon locked into Flare Blitz.

Other Options
########

Flareon can make use of its other ability, Guts, on a Toxic Orb set in order to be able to switch moves and have a powerful Facade. However Flareon does not need to switch moves very often and such a set wears Flareon down even faster. Flareon can also run a specially defensive set with Wish and Heal Bell, however its Stealth Rock weakness, mediocre base HP, and competition from Pokemon such as Lickilicky reduce the effectiveness of defensive Flareon. Finally, Flareon can use a Choice Scarf in order to make up for its low Speed, though this sacrifices much of its wallbreaking capabilities.

Checks & Counters
########

**Pokemon Which Resist Fire Resists**: Pokemon that resist Fire resists are some of the only stops to Flareon. Pelipper is the best answer to Flareon because it resists both of its Flareon's commonly used moves, though it must be wary of the rarer Double-Edge. Poliwrath is neutral to Superpower, but defensive variants are bulky enough to avoid the 2HKO and can heal off the damage with Rest. Rock-types and Flash Fire users, such as Carracosta, Golem, Ninetales, and Heatmor, (AC) can easily switch in on Flare Blitz, but cannot take Superpower. It is worth noting that nothing walls Flareon in sun, as all of the Pokemon that avoid 2HKOs from Flareon's moves under normal circumstances are 2HKOed by a sun-boosted Flare Blitz.

**Faster Pokemon**: Flareon's low Speed tier means that most offensive Pokemon outspeed it, and its low physical bulk means that a lot of Pokemon can KO it without much prior damage. Examples include Scyther, Dodrio, Basculin, Purugly, Swanna, Sneasel, and Leafeon.

**Residual Damage**: Flareon's reliance on recoil moves, weakness to Stealth Rock, and common weaknesses make it very easily worn down. It usually only has enough HP to break through one or two walls before fainting, and a lot of Pokemon that cannot OHKO Flareon can easily do so if it has used Flare Blitz once.

1/2

Last edited:

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Access to a ridiculously strong STAB Flare Blitz means that Flareon is an incredibly strong wallbreaker in PU. While the rest of its offensive movepool is quite barren, Flareon has what it needs to get past Pokemon that resist its powerful Flare Blitz. However, Flareon has quite a few problems. For an offensive Pokemon, Flareon is quite slow. This issue is not helped by the fact that Flareon is worn down incredibly easily between its weakness to Stealth Rock and the heavy recoil that comes with using Flare Blitz. Flareon also requires prediction to bypass Rock-types and Flash Fire users, while some Pokemon such as Pelipper can almost always switch into it without fear. (contradicts previous point that it has what it needs to get past resists)

Choice Band
########

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is a ridiculously powerful STAB move that lets Flareon 2HKO anything that does not resist it. Superpower hits Carracosta, Barbaracle, Golem, and Flash Fire users that resist or are immune to Flare Blitz hard. Quick Attack is mildly useful priority in late-game situations, particularly against offensive teams. Baton Pass helps ease prediction and pivot out of counters such as Pelipper, while Double-Edge can be used to 2HKO Pelipper after Stealth Rock, (remove comma) but isn't it's not useful for anything else. Flame Charge lets Flareon clean late-game but it isn't too useful in general, and Sleep Talk can be useful as Flareon is a good answer to most Sleep Powder users.

Set Details
========

The given spread maximizes Flareon's power, as well as letting and lets it take advantage of its decent Speed tier. Choice Band gives Flareon a notable boost in power, and Flash Fire provides a useful immunity and gives Flareon more opportunities to switch in.

Usage Tips
========

Using this set is relatively simple. The majority of the time Flareon should be using its powerful Flare Blitz, only using its other moves on predicted switches in the case of Superpower and Baton Pass or revenge killing a weakened threat in the case of Quick Attack. Flareon should generally not be switching in on any decently strong attacks aside from predicted Fire-type moves.

Team Options
========

This set works very well on sun and Sticky Web teams. The former give Flare Blitz enough power to 2HKO Pokemon that it could not otherwise, such as Pelipper and defensive Poliwrath, while the latter make Flareon much more effective against offensive teams by letting it outspeed many Pokemon. Entry hazard removal support from Swanna is useful as Flareon is weak to Stealth Rock. Similarly, Healing Wish Mr. Mime is a good partner to bring a Flareon that has been weakened by recoil back to full health, which is especially useful if its counters have since been severly weakened or eliminated. Hazards from Pokemon such as Golem and Roselia let Flareon wallbreak more effectively, while physical sweepers benefit from its ability to break walls. Finally, a Pokemon that can beat a +2 Carracosta or Barbaracle, such as Tangela and Poliwrath, is a useful partner to Flareon, (comma) as Carracosta and Barbaracle can easily set up on a Flareon locked into Flare Blitz.

Other Options
########

Flareon can make use of its other ability, Guts, on a Toxic Orb set in order to be able to switch moves and have a powerful Facade. However, (comma) Flareon does not need to switch moves very often and such a set wears Flareon down even faster. Flareon can also run a specially defensive set with Wish and Heal Bell; (comma to semicolon) however, (comma) its Stealth Rock weakness, mediocre base HP, and competition from Pokemon such as Lickilicky reduce the effectiveness of defensive Flareon. Finally, Flareon can use a Choice Scarf in order to make up for its low Speed, though this sacrifices much of its wallbreaking capabilities.

Checks & Counters
########

**Pokemon Which That Resist Fire**: Pokemon that resist Fire are some of the only stops to Flareon. Pelipper is the best answer to Flareon because it resists both of Flareon's commonly used moves, though it must be wary of the rarer Double-Edge. Poliwrath is neutral to Superpower, but defensive variants are bulky enough to avoid the 2HKO and can heal off the damage with Rest. Rock-types and Flash Fire users, such as Carracosta, Golem, Ninetales, and Heatmor, can easily switch in on Flare Blitz, (remove comma) but cannot take Superpower. It is worth noting that nothing walls Flareon in sun, as all of the Pokemon that avoid 2HKOs from Flareon's moves under normal circumstances are 2HKOed by a sun-boosted Flare Blitz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)