UU Froslass

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC Approvals [Calloflochie] [Limitless] [Royalty] [kokoloko]
GP Approvals [horyzhnz] [Ununhexium (GatoDelFuego and Minus)]
Overview
########
  • One of the best dedicated leads in the game.
  • Can spinblock /and/ set up spikes at the same time.
  • Stellar Speed.
  • Bad defensive typing leaves it weak to Stealth Rock and both of Mega Houndoom's STABs and Pursuit.
Leadlass
########
name: Leadlass
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Destiny Bond
move 4: Thunder Wave / Icy Wind
ability: Cursed Body
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Spikes is Spikes.
  • Taunt is to prevent Defoggers, Setup Sweepers, and other Hazard Setters.
  • Destiny Bond is effective in tandem with Base 110 Speed and allows her to take down the other Pokemon--it is especially useful versus Rapid Spin users. Also, it keeps Froslass useful, even at one HP.
  • Thunder Wave is used over a STAB move because it slows down opposing fast Taunt users to pave the way for your own Taunt or Destiny Bond.
  • Icy Wind can be run over Thunder Wave to achieve similar, but not permanent, results without being Taunt-bait.

Set Details
========
  • Normal EVs for a suicide lead. The HP EVs can be moved to SpA if running STAB(s).
  • Focus Sash guarantees that she can set down at least one layer of Spikes.
  • Timid is to maximize Speed. Modest should not be used.
  • Cursed Body so allows Froslass to set up an additional layer of Spikes against Choice-locked Pokemon roughly 1/3 of the time.
Usage Tips
========
  • Send her in as early as possible in the match to make the most out of the Spikes.
  • 90% of the time, you'll be clicking Spikes or Destiny Bond.
  • Destiny Bond can be used to create free turns to use Spikes again or to force Pokemon to switch so they can rack up more residual from the Spikes you just set. It will also occasionally get a kill on the opponent's Rapid Spin user, which is nice.
  • This is fairly counter-intuitive for a Suicide lead, but remember that Froslass, even at one HP, can still spinblock if necessary, so it's worth keeping her around if the opponent packs a Spinner.

Team Options
========
  • Sweepers that can take advantage of Spikes and Taunt. Choice Scarf Darmanitan and Sharpedo are excellent choices.
  • Fits on offensive teams that want reliable Spikes leads.

Other Options
########
  • Pain Split with Leftovers allows Froslass to stick around for a while longer should you decide you don't want to use it a suicide lead.
  • Trick + Choice Scarf can be used to cripple opposing Pokemon and then proceed to use Spikes, but this is not a reliable strategy.
  • Ice Beam and Shadow Ball can be used on the given set as reliable STAB attacks.

Checks & Counters
########
  • Blastoise, a spinner who can get past Ghost-types.
  • Defog users who can't be stopped outside of Taunt.
  • Pursuit
  • Fast Taunts (Sableye, Mega Aerodactyl, Azelf)

Ice / Ghost
70 / 80 / 70 / 80 / 70 / 110
Pokedex #478
[Smogon UU (before BL)| Serebii | Bulbapedia]
Overview
########
Froslass might seem limited to a couple of sets, but that doesn't mean she's limited in potential. She is one of the only Pokemon that can spinblock and set up Spikes at the same time, making her a great dedicated lead, and also has the necessary Speed to get her moves off before falling. Unfortunately, Froslass doesn't have everything going for her. Her typing is a double-edged sword, leaving her weak to both of Mega Houndoom's STABs, Pursuit, and Stealth Rock, which prevents her from coming in multiple times throughout the match. Disadvantages aside, Froslass is a powerful Pokemon in the metagame and should be considered while teambuilding

Leadlass
########
move 4: Thunder Wave / Icy Wind

Moves
========
Being able to use Spikes is Froslass's greatest niche in the metagame and can help wear down the opposing team over time. In order to do this efficiently, Froslass needs to use Taunt to prevent opposing Pokemon from using Defog or Taunt, setting up their own entry hazards, or setting up. Destiny Bond is also effective in tandem with Froslass's base 110 Speed and allows her to take down other Pokemon, especially Rapid Spin users, with her after Focus Sash is used up. Thunder Wave is preferred for the last move of the set because it allows her to shut down fast Pokemon trying to set up, such as Mega Houndoom, and paves the way for her own Taunt and Destiny Bond. Icy Wind is a STAB option that works similar to Thunder Wave and keeps Froslass from becoming complete Taunt bait. She can catch Taunt users coming in on a switch and then Taunt them to keep herself from being Taunted.

Set Details
========
The EVs are standard for a suicide lead with no attacking moves. If STAB Icy Wind or Shadow Ball is opted for over Thunder Wave, then the HP EVs can be moved over to Special Attack accordingly. Focus Sash guarantees that Froslass can survive to lay down at least one layer of Spikes. Timid is to maximize Speed for using Taunt and Destiny Bond. Cursed Body allows Froslass to set up an additional layer of Spikes against Choice-locked Pokemon roughly 1/3 of the time.

Usage Tips
========
Froslass should be sent out towards, if not at, the beginning of the match to make the most out of Spikes. Don't bother with other moves unless absolutely necessary, especially when running STAB attacks. Use Destiny Bond to your advantage by playing mind tricks on your opponent and earning yourself an easy KO. You can even bluff Destiny Bond and use Spikes instead, racking up damage on the incoming switch. She's fairly useless late game, especially because Stealth Rock breaks Focus Sash, so try to send her out early. Keep in mind that Froslass, even at one HP, can still spinblock if necessary.

Team Options
========
Sweepers that can take advantage of Spikes, Taunt, and Thunder Wave make for the best partners, such as Choice Scarf Darmanitan or Sharpedo. Froslass fits easily onto hyper offensive teams in need of a suicide lead, especially ones with no space for a spinblocker.

Other Options
########
Pain Split is one viable option that lets Froslass inflict massive damage after using up Focus Sash. It also lets Froslass stick around longer if you don't want to use it as a lead. She can also run a Trick + Choice Scarf to completely shut down the likes of Crocune and other entry hazard setters. She can also set up Spikes during these turns, but this is not a viable strategy. Ice Beam or Shadow Ball can be used for reliable STABs. but the utility of Thunder Wave and Icy Wind is usually more beneficial.

Checks & Counters
########
**Blastoise**: Blastoise is a major pain for Froslass as it can use Dark Pulse to take her down, and then proceed to spin away Spikes.

**Fast Defog Users**: Pokemon that can outspeed and use Defog before Froslass can fire off a Taunt makes all of her efforts in vain.

**Pursuit**: Like most Ghost-types, Froslass can do very little when trapped by a Pursuit user.

**Fast Taunters**: Much like fast Defog users, Froslass has to watch out for the likes of Sableye, Azelf, and Mega Aerodactyl who can shut her down with Taunt.

**Multi-hit Users**: Pokemon, like Cloyster and Cinccino, can use a move that hits multiple times to break Froslass's sash and restrict her to only one layer of Spikes

Last edited:

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
For C&C, mention Scarf Chandelure, Houndoom, Weavile, Rapid Spinners that can get past Froslass such as Blastoise, Defog users such as Zapdos, Arcanine, and Cinccino.

Also for the set, include 0 Atk IVs, as Froslass doesn't use physical attacks so you might as well minimize Foul Play and confusion damage (especially since Froslass is weak to Foul Play)

I'd slash T-wave along with Ice Beam and Shadow Ball. As I've used Lass, pretty much 1/8 times it won't be attacking. TWave offers more support to the rest of the team.

In other options, mention bulky froslass as she can be used as quite a reasonable spin blocker for longer periods than just a suicide lead at the start of the game.

For Ice STAB, I recommend putting on Icy Wind, this can slow down Scarfers that try to 2HKO you straight off the bat and means you can Destiny Bond them turn 2.

In checks and counters, Azelf is faster, has access to Taunt and Knock Off which makes Froslass job a lot more difficult for her to carry out. Also Sableye has a faster taunt and so it's also worth mentioning.

Just a small note, i'd probably slash Thunder Wave in front of Shadow Ball since it does stop it becoming fodder to mons that threaten it like Mega Houndoom.

Make all of these changes and you have QC 1/3, nice work!

On second thought, in C&C add 'faster taunt mons' and mention mega dactyl, sableye, azelf etc

Edit: kek what a nice way to bring up my 100th post, lel yay

Last edited:

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
i run max hp > max SpA and thunder wave over a STAB move because when i do run a STAB move i literally never use it. but if i was running a STAB move i'd 100% be running icy wind because it makes azelf, aero, and crobat your bitches cause now you can taunt the defog/rocks/taunt.

under usage tips you should mention how a 1% froslass is useful to keep if the opponent has a spinner because it will still spinblock :]

koko, should full HP investment be OO or on the set?
He runs no attacking moves on Froslass so his set doesn't require any SpA investment, so i would say that leave SpA on the set and in the set details mention that Max HP can be run if you go for a full support moveset. :]

Minus

He runs no attacking moves on Froslass so his set doesn't require any SpA investment, so i would say that leave SpA on the set and in the set details mention that Max HP can be run if you go for a full support moveset. :]
so just a sentence abt it in set details? sounds good.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wyvern
add and capitalize

remove
comments
Overview
########
Froslass may seem limited to a couple of sets, but that doesn't mean it's she's limited in potential. She is one of the only Pokemon that can spinblock and set up Spikes at the same time, making her a great dedicated lead, and also has the necessary speed to get her moves off before falling. Unfortunately, Froslass doesn't have everything going for her. Her typing is a double-edged sword, leaving her weak to both of Mega Houndoom's STABs, Pursuit, and Stealth Rock (which prevents her from coming in multiple times throughout the match).

Leadlass
########
move 4: Thunder Wave / Icy Wind / Shadow Ball

Moves
========
Spikes is the crux of this set. (wyvrn pls) Being able to use Spikes is Froslass's greatest niche in the metagame and can help wear down the opposing team over time. In order to do this efficiently, Froslass needs to use Taunt to prevent opposing Defog users, hazard setters, other Taunts, and Setup Sweepers Pokemon from using Defog or Taunt, setting up their own entry hazards, or setting up. Destiny Bond is also effective in tandem with Froslass's base 110 Speed and allows her to take down other Pokemon with her after Focus Sash is used up. Thunder Wave is an option for the last move of the set that allows her to shut down fast Pokemon trying to set up, such as like Mega Houndoom. Icy Wind is a STAB option that keeps Froslass from becoming complete Taunt bait. She can't can catch Taunt users coming in on a switch and then Taunt their Taunts them to keep herself safe from being Taunted. STAB Shadow Ball is another,(RC) usable yet inferior,(RC) option to the other two that hits non-scarfed Chandelure, Slowbro, and Mew.

Set Details
========
The EVs are the standard for a suicide lead with no attacking moves. If STAB Icy Wind or Shadow Ball is opted for over Thunder Wave, then the HP EVs can be moved over to Special Attack accordingly (Should I give the other spread here???) <- yes please. Focus Sash guarantees that Froslass can survive to lay down at least a minimum of one layer of Spikes. Timid is to maximize speed for using Taunt and Destiny Bond. Modest should not be used because of this. Cursed Body is the better one of Froslass's abilities because of it's its sheer utility, as opposed to the situational Snow Cloak.

Usage Tips
========
Froslass should be sent out towards, if not at, the beginning of the match to make the most out of Spikes. Don't bother with other moves unless absolutley absolutely necessary, especially when running STAB attacks. She's fairly useless late game, especially because Stealth Rock breaks Focus Sash, so try to send her out first, but remember that Froslass, even at one HP, can still spinblock if necessary.

Team Options
========
Sweepers that can take advantage of Spikes, Taunt, and Thunder Wave make for the best partners. Froslass fits easily onto HO hyperoffensive teams in need of a suicide lead, especially one with no space for a spinblocker.

Other Options
########
Pain Split is one viable option that let's lets Froslass inflict massive damage after using up Focus Sash. She can also run a Trick + Choice Scarf to completely shut down the likes of Crocune and other entry hazard setters.

Checks & Counters
########
**Spinners that can bypass spinblockers (this is way too vague; list 'certain spinblockers' then write about how they can easily take out Froslass then spin away hazards**: Blastoise is a major pain for Froslass as it can use Dark Pulse to take her down, and then proceed to spin away Spikes.

**Fast Defog users**: Pokemon that can outspeed and use Defog before Froslass can fire off a Taunt makes all of her efforts in vain.

**Pursuit**: Like most Ghost-types, Froslass can do very little when trapped by a Pursuit user.

**Fast Taunters**: Much like fast Defog users, Froslass has to watch out for the likes of Sableye, Azelf, and Mega Aerodactyl who can shut her down with Taunt.

hey fren. =]

GP 1/2

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
kinda wish you had waited for me on this, but i'll just wait till it's written up and then i'll edit my stuff into it lol!

Minus

kinda wish you had waited for me on this, but i'll just wait till it's written up and then i'll edit my stuff into it lol!
Ugh, sorry koko, thought you said everything you had to say. I implemented the check so you can edit it now!

kokoloko

oh oops, i changed my mind before i saw your reply and made the changes in the skeleton. sorry you're going to have to redo your write up and get that GP looked over again.

:[ shoulda waited lol

horyzhnz Wyvern

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)