Gallade Discussion

Gallade
Abilities: Steadfast/Justified
Base Stats: 68/125/65/65/115/80

Being one of my favorite Pokemon of D/P/Pt, I had to claim him for RU, lol. Anyway, Gallade has much going for it in RU. Gallade can run a variety of movesets, including Bulk Up, Choice Scarf/Band, Swords Dance, as well as surprise movesets such as SubPunch, Defensive, Anti-Lead, and Trick Room. His extremely wide movepool allows him to cover any sort of wall that blocks him, as long as he accumulates attack boosts, or has a Choice Band. Cresselia give you trouble? Use X-Scissor or Night Slash! Blastoise, Gastrodon, Quagsire? Use Leaf Blade. His wide movepool also gives him an edge over other fighting types in RU. Gallade even has a plethora of support moves, such as Trick, Will-O-Wisp, Trick Room, Encore, Helping Hand, etc. However, Gallade suffers from four moveslot syndrome, which is what really hinders Gallade, so you have to tailor Gallade's moveslot according to what your team needs.

On Gallade's stat's, they're fairly average. However, his high attack, special defense, and good enough speed allows him to function as a semi-bulky offensive threat. Aside from Medicham, Gallade has the highest attack stat of all fighting types in RU, tied with Sawk. High special defense allows him to survive potentially fatal special hits, and also allows him to round out his overall bulk with Bulk Up, combining boosted defense along with high special defense, following up with an even higher attack stat. His speed isn't really impressive, but Choice Scarf can easily fix that, allowing him to be a speedy revenge killer, and with some prediction, rip serious holes in the opponent's team, with his massive movepool.

Gallade's Steadfast ability is next to completely useless in RU, where the only Serene Gracers are Togetic and Dunsparce. Togetic doesn't have Air Slash like Togekiss does, and even if she did, she has Thunderwave to negate the speed boost. Dunsparce also has Thunderwave. Gallade's ability comes in handy when a random flinch comes from a Waterfall or something, but that's it really. Justified is a great ability for Gallade, and will be more useful for Gallade than Steadfast, once it comes out that is. However, you have to be careful with this ability, it's a double edged sword (pun intended). Justified gives you an attack boost when hit by a dark type move, however, most dark type moves are physical, and with Gallade's low defense, you're gonna take a huge hit, unless you're physically bulky or have bulk up. Justified is illegal with Focus Punch, Snatch, Endure, Drain Punch, Sleep Talk, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunderpunch, Knock Off, Trick, Zen Headbutt, Pain Split, Magic Coat, Role Play, Low Kick, as well as other moves.

Anti-Lead
Gallade @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP/252 Att/252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Taunt/Hypnosis/Magic Coat
- Destiny Bond
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak

Gallade can stop bulky leads by either taunting them, putting them to sleep with Hypnosis, or reflect back their status moves (including entry hazards) with Magic Coat. Destiny Bond gives Gallade the chance to take out threats it cannot handle, by sacrificing its own life, however, this requires some level of prediction, and it also depends how fast Gallade is, so if you want to, you can swap Destiny Bond with Taunt/Hypnosis/Magic Coat, or another offensive move. Close Combat is the attack move of choice if you'd like to take out frail leads. Shadow Sneak is there for picking off of Focus Sash users, or just pick off of those with low HP left. Close Combat + Shadow Sneak give each other perfect neutral coverage, so you should be able to handle most things.

Attacking Lead
Gallade @ Focus Sash/Lum Berry/Life Orb
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut/Night Slash/X-Scissor
- Ice Punch/Stone Edge/Leaf Blade
- Shadow Sneak

This Gallade functions similarly to the Machamp attacking lead in OU. Unlike Machamp, Gallade cannot confuse its enemies or switch ins, which is what makes Machamp so frustrating, but Gallade can use its wide movepool to score super effective hits on other leads, whether they're bulky or not. Shadow Sneak is here once again to pick off of Focus Sash users, or those with low HP left.

Bulk Up
Gallade @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP/40 Att/216 SpD/12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Sneak

Here it is, one of Gallade's most destructive sets, with a relatively good bulk too! Gallade's great special bulk allows him to survive even super effective special attacks. The set is very straightforward, set up Bulk Up on special foes, Drain Punch to heal, Shadow Sneak to pick off of low HP foes, and coverage moves for coverage. After a few bulk ups, Gallade really becomes hard to stop.

Choice
Gallade @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak/Trick

Choice is always an option for an offensive pokemon, and Gallade makes very good use out of it. Choice Band lets Gallade hit hard right off the bat, allowing him to score KOs on some walls without setting up at all. Choice Scarf lets Gallade outspeed opponents that would otherwise kill him, and it lets Gallade revenge kill opponents. Trick is especially useful on this set because if Gallade can't break through a certain wall, then you can always cripple it by surprise.

Defensive
Gallade @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/4 Att/252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp/Thunderwave/Hypnosis/Toxic/Disable
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Pain Split/Rest

This is my own set, which is pretty straightforward. Max HP and Max defense to provide good bulk, along with Gallade's naturally high special defense. Use your status of choice, depending on your team. Disable is there because Disable had a recent accuracy boost, allowing Gallade to disable any move your opponent has, allowing you to make a safe switch into a teammate who would otherwise take a serious hit. Substitute is there to avoid status, although, you can always swap that with another status move to make a double status set, or use Protect. Drain Punch for some offense and healing in one. Pain Split because you can wear down those with high HP or Ghost types who would otherwise wall Gallade. Rest because you can heal status with that. You can really mix and match with this set.

Dual Screen
Gallade @ Light Clay/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/4 Att/252 Def
Impish Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Drain Punch
- Memento/Thunderwave

This is another generic dual screen set, which is really meant for surprise value. But, Gallade has access to both screens and Memento, which is only shared by Latios, Gardevior, Magcargo, and Uxie. However, you can always swap that with Thunderwave and other status moves like Will-O-Wisp if you'd like.

SubPunch
Gallade @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Att/4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Drain Punch/Pain Split/Rest
- Night Slash/Shadow Sneak

Gallade can use an offensive and defensive mix by using this substitute set, utilizing Focus Punch, without the negative defense and special defense drops. Simply sub on a switch, and fire powerful STAB Focus Punches. For healing, you can utilize Drain Punch, Pain Split, or Rest. Night Slash and Shadow Sneak round out your fighting coverage, one being more powerful, while the other being priority.

SubSalac
Gallade @ Salac Berry
EVs: 12 HP/244 Att/252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance

While Salac Berry isn't legal yet, you can swap that with a Life Orb or Leftovers. When it's released, this Gallade can wreak havoc, provided you remove any passive damage Gallade takes from stealth rock, sandstorm, etc. Set up a Swords Dance to skyrocket your attack stat. 12 HP is there to make sure your HP is divisible by 4 (provided you have 31 IVs in HP). After the Salac Berry boost, and Swords Dance boost, Gallade will have the power of the Swords Dance set, and the speed of the Choice Scarf combined, with the ability to switch between CC and Night Slash. If you have a sub up when you're fully set up, your opponent is going to have a hard time stopping you.

Swords Dance
Gallade @ Life Orb
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak

Another destructive set, which sacrifices some bulk and instead uses pure offensive force. After a swords dance, and with the right coverage moves, even walls will tremble before Gallade. However, the main problem is with Gallade's speed, which isn't really sufficient enough for a sweep.

Trick Room
Gallade @ Life Orb/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/192 Att/64 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Close Combat

Trick Room solves all of Gallade's speed problems, with a Brave Nature, and 0 Speed IVs, Gallade reaches 148 Speed, which is low enough to outspeed fast foes, and a few walls. Gallade has a unique niche with Trick Room, because it's the only fighting type to learn it. Not only that, but Gallade can both support its team, and even sweep with Trick Room, given his high attack. Gallade is both a Trick Room set up, and an attacker in one. It also has lots of surprise value.

Salac berry is illegal and it should be noted that drain punch, focus punch, and the elemental punches are illegal with justified. Shadow sneak and destiny bond are illegal if only male dw ralts is released and it doesn't come with either of those.

Oops! I meant highest attack stat of fighting types in RU. Also, you don't need to be an ass and lecture me about doing something so simple as research, professor moonbound.

Oops! I meant highest attack stat of fighting types in RU. Also, you don't need to be an ass and lecture me about doing something so simple as research, professor moonbound.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, I was just trying to point out that there was something you could fix in your analysis.

I'm sorry about that, I make mistakes and I realize it's not "being an ass" if you point them out. Please excuse me.

Anyway, I'm done with moveset descriptions.

i use a weird gallade set but it's quite effective,

careful (252 sp.def) (252 hp) (6 hp)
moveset:
- mean look (traps sp.attackers)
- toxic (combined with mean look it can only get worse)
- Rest
- Recycle

361 def is pretty damn good (but only use this set when you have to trap a special sweeper)

Perish trappers like Murkrow (who has priority), and Politoed (who can support his team with rain) do a better job. Toxic stalling takes too long, and there are too many opponents out there immune to it or can simply heal it off.

Gallade will be moving up to UU because of usage unfortunately. He's too powerful and versatile for RU anyway!
Hasn't Gallade only been UU for one month? It needs to be UU for 2 months straight at least, and it was quite low on the UU totem pole too.

I can see Gallade being potentially broken once the biggers threats have been banned, EG - honchkrow, Cress and Mega.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)