Gastrodon

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Gastrodon's good typing and bulk, combined with its decent movepool, allow it to be a niche check to some extremely common Pokemon in the Doubles OU metagame, including Landorus-T, Heatran, and Thundurus. Its ability Storm Drain allows Gastrodon to check rain teams and help teammates that are weak to Water-type moves avoid damage. Gastrodon's access to recovery plus its coverage movepool allow it to stay on the field many turns and deal damage to a wide variety of common threats. However, Gastrodon's very low Speed stat means it will always be moving last, and with its poor Special Attack stat, it doesn't really thrive in Trick Room; additionally, Gastrodon often relies on boosts from Storm Drain to be a real offensive threat. This lack of speed and power means that Gastrodon is threatened by strong physical attackers, such as Mega Kangaskhan, when it cannot burn them with Scald. Gastrodon also faces competition from many other Water-types, such as Swampert, which has similar typing, movepool and access to Wide Guard, and Suicune, which is bulkier and can provide speed control. Similarly, Gastrodon has to compete with other common checks to rain teams, such as Kyurem-B and Ferrothorn, which are better Pokemon overall and notably not weak to Grass-type moves from Ludicolo.

[SET]
name: Recover + 3 Attacks
move 1: Scald
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Recover / Protect
item: Sitrus Berry / Expert Belt
ability: Storm Drain
nature: Quiet
evs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpA / 52 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Scald is Gastrodon's most reliable Water-type STAB move, hitting Fire-types like Talonflame, Volcarona, and Rotom-H. Not only does Scald provide decent power in a STAB attack, its 30% chance to burn can be a big help when facing physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan. Earth Power is Gastrodon's second STAB move, and it hits Rock-types like Mega Diancie, Steel-types like Heatran and Aegislash, and the Water-immune Fire-type Volcanion. Ice Beam provides great coverage on Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Dragon-types such as Latios and Hydreigon, which would otherwise wall Gastrodon, as well as Flying-types like Landorus and Thundurus. Recover allows Gastrodon to restore its health and stay on the field longer than other Pokemon typically would, which can be vital in late-game situations or when taking opportunities of free turns. Alternatively, Protect allows Gastrodon to avoid damage entirely for the turn while its partner handles a threat and scout out an opposing moveset.

Set Details
========

232 HP and 176 Defense EVs let Gastrodon take two Brave Birds from Adamant Life Orb Talonflame, which means Gastrodon can switch in on and defeat it one-on-one. The 52 Special Defense EVs, paired with the given HP EVs, give Gastrodon the ability to survive a Psycho Boost from Deoxys-A. The remaining 48 EVs go into Special Attack to allow Gastrodon to OHKO Salamence and Landorus-T with Ice Beam. A Quiet nature allows Gastrodon to be slower than Aegislash and OHKO it with Earth Power while it is in its Blade forme. This will also allow Gastrodon to outspeed opposing Pokemon on Trick Room teams. Sitrus Berry provides instant recovery of 25% of Gastrodon's health, which helps against double targets and against Mega Kangaskhan due to Parental Bond. Expert Belt allows Gastrodon to do more damage against targets that are hit super effectively, which works well in conjunction with its expansive movepool, and pick up notable OHKOs against foes such as Mega Diancie with Earth Power.

Usage Tips
========

Gastrodon's ability redirects all Water-type attacks to itself, so it is a great check to rain teams and helps Water weak teammates avoid taking damage, which can put foes in tough spots. Gastrodon shines by redirecting Water-type attacks and gaining Special Attack boosts, so luring a Water-type attack from your opponent with a Pokemon weak to Water and then switching in Gastrodon is a prime way to use this Pokemon. Gastrodon's bulk and typing give it the opportunity to switch in on many common Pokemon, such as Thundurus, Heatran, and Volcanion, as it will take very little damage from their attacks, and threaten them in return. Recover is great to take advantage of turns where the opponent may double Protect, not target Gastrodon, or use a stat-dropping move, such as Draco Meteor or Superpower. Keep in mind that if Gastrodon's partner uses a non-spread Water-type move, Gastrodon will redirect it too!

Team Options
========

Gastrodon's biggest threat is any Grass-type Pokemon or move. Great Pokemon to pair with Gastrodon to threaten Grass-types like Amoonguss or Breloom are Fire-types like Heatran or Blaziken, a Flying-type like Talonflame, or an Ice-type like Kyurem-B. Putting Safety Goggles on Heatran makes it an even better Gastrodon partner, since this allows Heatran to switch into Spores from Amoonguss and Breloom. Even with all of the EVs invested into its physical bulk, Gastrodon could still use help in that area, especially due to the ever-present Mega Kangaskhan. An Intimidate Pokemon, such as Landorus-T or Scrafty, can be a big help. Gastrodon can also use Recover more often if it is taking less damage from physical attackers. Gastrodon is a great partner for Pokemon weak to Water-type attacks, such as Mega Diancie, Landorus-T, and Talonflame. This is also important on the offensive end — if Gastrodon's teammates aren't going to lure Water-type attacks, Gastrodon can't get Storm Drain boosts. Gastrodon handles Electric-types extremely well, so Pokemon that benefit from this, such as Talonflame and Gyarados, fit well with it.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Clear Smog is an optional move to run if the team Gastrodon is on seems weak to setup Pokemon, such as Power-Up Punch Mega Kangaskhan, Quiver Dance Volcarona, and Belly Drum Azumarill. Muddy Water is an optional spread attack for Gastrodon; however, this move is weak without a boost from Storm Drain, so it is usually better to stick with Scald. Counter and Mirror Coat make good use of Gastrodon's bulk by allowing it to take an attack and send it back at the user, but by using these moves Gastrodon will have to drop a move that will usually be better because three damaging attacks are far less situational. Blizzard can be used over Ice Beam if Gastrodon is paired with Mega Abomasnow, but the power drop here is definitely noticeable. Icy Wind is another alternative to Ice Beam that provides speed control for Gastrodon's partners, but it removes Gastrodon's ability to deal big damage with its Ice-type attack.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-type Pokemon**: Grass-type Pokemon, such as Amoonguss and Breloom, will cause a lot of trouble for Gastrodon, as they resist both of its STAB attacks, and Gastrodon is 4x weak to Grass-type attacks, so even defensive Pokemon like Amoonguss will be able to do significant damage to Gastrodon with their STAB moves.

**Strong Attackers**: Gastrodon is dreadfully slow, with only a base 39 Speed, and as such it will usually be taking damage before moving. When this is combined with its average Defense, Gastrodon severely struggles with strong physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan.

**Sun Teams**: Opposing sun teams can be a big threat to Gastrodon, as the sun weakens Gastrodon's STAB water moves and Gastrodon will easily be KOed by a Grass-type move from Mega Charizard Y or Venusaur, the two staple Pokemon on traditional sun teams.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ebelt wtf? and honestly is there any reason not to just use max def?

The set I used when I used this on one team ever was very different:
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Clear Smog
- Recover
- Protect

Earth Power isn't really particularly necessary imo. Most of the things you're using gastro to beat don't mind earth power anyway. ie Thundurus Rotom-W Talonflame Lando-T. This set by adding Clear Smog also is an azu and cm cress check.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
using recover and protect on a mon that defensive doesn't make sense to me... and so far as I know, ebelt is actually standard in VGC.

That being said, I've never used this mon and my only experience facing it was while shaian and I were testing an Empoleon team, so I can't say much what the best set is.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 56 SpA / 44 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Clear Smog / Ice Beam / Counter / Protect
- Recover

underspeed aegis
live 2x aegis sball
live some epic physical hits
rest spa
slot 3 in order of usefulness imco

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
since totem didn't specify which physical hits it lives i decided to investigate and found this:

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 156 Def Gastrodon: 108-127 (25.3 - 29.8%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
(108, 109, 109, 112, 112, 114, 114, 117, 118, 118, 121, 121, 123, 123, 126, 127)

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 156 Def Gastrodon: 271-321 (63.6 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(271, 274, 279, 280, 285, 288, 292, 294, 297, 301, 303, 307, 310, 315, 316, 321)

basically it always lives a Jolly Kangaskhan's Fake Out + Return

but yeah adjust the set set to reflect Totem's set

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
my biggest concern with totems set is lack of damage output

56+ SpA Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Diancie: 194-230 (80.4 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
56+ SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 254-302 (85.2 - 101.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (you obviously kill after BB but like cmon)
56+ SpA Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 164 SpD Jirachi: 182-216 (45 - 53.4%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO

but i will change it if thats the one qc likes the most

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Talon is bring itself into Gastro's KO range first through BB recoil, Diancie might be -spdef anyway, so then it's a KO roll, and I mean Gastro totally cock blocks Jirachi so I don't see the issue there.

Totem's set is good.

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Since you kept complaining here's a check for 1/3 (tag once implemented so I can stamp). glop glop

Overview
  • Give some examples of the "great resists" Gastrodon has.
  • Remove the mentions Gastro's Base Stats as people can already see that, just say it has a high HP instead and comparable or similar bulk to mons such as Amoonguss.
  • I wouldn't say that Storm Drain is unique, as other Pokemon have it as well (e.g. Cradily, a Pokemon close to your n1n1's heart :B).
  • IMO saying that Gastrodon has a "good" movepool is perhaps overselling it just a little bit, I'd say it's more along the lines of "okay" or "decent". Also, the access to reliable recovery in Recover should be the main selling point here I think.
  • Mention Gastrodon's low Speed meaning the vast majority of the time it will be moving last which is bad.
  • Give examples of the other Water-types and rain checks that Gastrodon faces competition from. Also mention how it faces competition from Swampert, which has the same typing and a similar moveset, but has Wide Guard. Finally, mention that a major flaw of using Gastrodon is it's 4x weakness to Ludicolo's Grass-type STAB.
  • Mention how Gastrodon is a great check to Electric-types such as Thundurus and Rotom formes, as well as Landorus-T, and Fire-types such as Heatran.
Moves
  • Move Muddy Water to Other Options, it's just sooooo weak, even with Expert Belt.
  • Mention that Scald's burn chance helps out against physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan.
  • Remove the bit about using Earth Power over Scald, this is more of a Usage Tips point and mainly common sense imo.
  • Mention Ice Beam allowing Gastrodon to OHKO Landorus-T.
Set Details
  • For the point about running Quiet nature mention underspeeding Pokemon on opposing Trick Room teams as well.
  • Change the spread to 252 HP / 128 Def / 84 SpA / 44 SpD, this lets you OHKO Mega Diancie with EP when using E-belt, with the "dump" being Defence. The current EV spread hits that Jolly Kang benchmark with Leftovers, but with Sitrus even this spread lives FO + Return from Adamant Kang, and avoids the 2HKO from EQ without Sitrus.
  • Pretty sure convention is not to talk about using 0 Speed IV's - remove from the set and the mention here.
  • Mention that Sitrus Berry also helps Gastrodon to survive a double target.
  • IDK if it was different with an older spread, but the 2HKO on bulky Zap and Thund is no longer guaranteed (it's still a good roll though).
Usage Tips
  • Expand on how you use Gastrodon as a rain check (e.g. redirecting the boosted Water-type attacks while using the rain boost and Storm Drain boosts of its own to become a threat offensively).
  • When talking about switching Gastrodon in, mention how it is good for both protecting a partner from Water-type attacks, as well as giving Gastrodon a Storm Drain boost.
  • "Use the bulk and typing to your advantage!" - Exclamation marks make me excited! :P Real talk this statement and the similar one in Team Options is a bit redundant imo as it's better to just explain how to do this rather than make an obvious point.
  • I wouldn't recommend making switches when predicting the opponent to switch, I don't think specifically encouraging predictions like that is something we're supposed to do in analyses so please remove. Also "Gastrodon's great coverage allows it to put many top tier Pokemon in bad spots, so use this to your advantage." - I definitely think this point is overselling Gastrodon and is also a bit redundant so remove as well.
  • Mention avoiding using Water-type moves with teammates when Gastrodon is on the field, as they will still be redirected by Storm Drain.
  • Mention the type of Pokemon that Gastrodon likes switching into (e.g. Thundurus and Heatran) and how they can also provide opportunities for Gastrodon to use Recover.
Team Options
  • Mention Ice-types to help against Grass-types and give an example, also change Talonflame to another Fire-type and mention it under Flying-types.
  • I would rephrase the point on Water-weak teammates, as it currently makes it sound like you're specifially aiming for Water-weaks. Instead try to say that Gastrodon is a good partner for Water-weak Pokemon due to Storm Drain.
  • Since Gastrodon doesn't like facing sun, I would give examples of teammates which would help in this matchup.
  • Mention teammates which appreciate Gastrodon's good ability to deal with Electric- and Steel-types.
Other Options
  • Mention how Clear Smog is useful as Gastrodon can be set up bait to these mons otherwise.
  • Mention Counter and Mirror Coat, which take advantage of Gastrodon's great bulk.
  • Mention Icy Wind as a weaker alternative to Ice Beam which provides speed control for teammates.
  • Say that Rindo Berry helps Gastrodon survive a single Grass-type attack but that Gastrodon still takes a chunk and other items are way better.
Checks and Counters
  • I would add a tag for Opposing Weather and talk about sun, as it weakens Gastrodon's Water-type attacks, while Gastro dies a Grass-type attack from Charizard or Venusaur.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Lol remember when I said I was checking this yesterday that was a good joke right glop glop

Overview
  • When you're discussing how weak Gastro's attacks are, put something in there about being pretty reliant on storm drain boosts. Once it gets a boost or two (idk who's giving it a second boost but hey a guy can dream) then its damage output becomes a lot more respectable.
  • Suicune should also be mentioned when you're talking about Pokemon that drive Gastro to having such a small niche - if the only thing that was preventing it from standing out was a fellow Tier 4 mon, it would see a lot more usage.
  • I can't pinpoint exactly where this happens, but in general you're talking Gastrodon up more than actually makes sense. It's Tier 4 for a reason, don't be afraid to be a little harsh. You shouldn't be trying to convince someone to use Gastrodon - the analysis should tell it like it is. Just something to think about during writeup.
Moves
  • Ice Beam also gets decent coverage against Dragon types, most notably letting it win 1v1 against things like Hydreigon and Latios
  • Recover is also nice for late-game stalling out Scald burns
  • Since Recover and Protect are slashed, talk a little bit about the pros and cons of each to help the reader decide which makes more sense for their team
Set Details
  • Sooooo Yoda messed up. His spread is assuming that EBelt is the item, so you should move it to the bottom of Set Details when you talk about EBelt being an option.
  • Instead, I'm going to recommend the main spread becomes: 232 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpA / 52 SpD; Quiet Nature. This lets Gastro live 2 Talon Brave Birds with Sitrus Berry, meaning you can switch in on it and still win. The SpA lets it 2HKO Rotom-H with Scald and OHKO Salamence with Ice Beam, the rest are placed in SpD, which conveniently enough also guarantees Gastro will live any Deo-A Psycho Boost.
Usage Tips
  • Use Recover to take advantage of double Protects or to take advantage of power-dropping moves such as Superpower and Draco Meteor
  • Partner's Water type moves will be redirected unless they deal spread damage, like Muddy Water. I'm pretty sure that can't be redirected.
Team Options
  • Teammates that can switch in on and beat Amoonguss are essential - Goggles Heatran stands out to me as a great partner.
  • Intimidate support allows Gastrodon to take fuller advantage of Recover, allowing it to attack more often
  • Really sell how important water-weak teammates are to help Gastrodon too - if Gastro's teammates can't effectively lure a Water-type attack, it can't get a boost.
Other Options
  • Put Clear Smog first, it's the most viable of Gastro's other options
  • Blizzard if you're using it beside Mega Abomasnow (which actually wouldn't be that bad, it beats Heatran really well for Aboma, which in turn handles Amoonguss)
Checks and Counters
  • With the new system, the tags should be as follows: **Typing Advantage** becomes **Grass-type Pokemon**, the second sentence of your **Typing Advantage** and all of **Speed** will combine to make **Strong Attackers**, and **Opposing Weather** is still good.
General note: don't forget to fix your capitalizations during writeup, especially in the set.

Tag me when implemented and I'll give it one last look before I stamp!

talkingtree

large if factual
In Set Details, the sentences need to be in the order: 232 HP + 176 Def does stuff. 48 SpA does more stuff. Rest in SpD, which also helps Gastro live stuff.

Also, in C&C, **Grass-type Pokemon** should point out that they resist Gastro's dual STABs and hit it 4x effectively, so even defensively oriented Pokemon such as Amoonguss can OHKO it.

Fix those either now or during writeup idc QC 2/3

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
capitalize the set stuff dork
  • (overview) Mention Swampert's access to Wide Guard for when comparing it to Gastrodon
  • (overview) Talk about its vulnerability to common physical set up sweepers when it can't get a Scald burn because of its low threat level, notably Mega Kangaskhan and Azumarill (can we just remove these two from the fucking game)
  • (moves) Specify that Ice Beam hits Grass-types and Dragon-types that would otherwise wall it, while giving a smaller mention to Landorus-T and Thundurus bc you kick the shit out of em w/o Ice Beam anyways
  • (moves) Usually Protect would be used for stalling out Speed Control but Gastro is slow af anyways so TR is irrelevant and its not outspeeding like anything ever outside of TW regardless, so remove this point
  • (moves) Last sentence is kind of fluff/vague, give a reason to the specific benefits of Recover (which is being better in late-game situations and staying around to check rain shit and genies longer. so like choose recover if u need gastro to check mons more if ur team is weak to them)
  • (set details) if there is a notable kill that EBelt gets mention it here
  • (team options) specify goggles allows Heatran to switch in to Spore / Sleep Powder from the most common grass-types
  • (other options) gastrodon is a shitty azu check bc it gets owned by PR/Knock so remove this part D: i think clear smog is quite good and should be moved up to moves but that is probably just me
  • (other options) Icy Wind doesn't allow Gastro to outspeed like anything so say that it provides speed control for partners
  • (other options) Gastrodon will have a drop a move that will usually be better. -> say they are usually better b/c less situational
  • (checks and counters) tldr on the strong attackers thing, just say its relatively low physdef makes it hard to take strong moves from shit like kang
  • (checks and counters) specify sun instead of opposing weather because it does well against rain
tell me when u done famalama ding dong

Last edited:
add remove comments
tag me or whatever if you have any question
[OVERVIEW]

Gastrodon's good typing and bulk, combined with its decent movepool move pool, allow it to be a niche check to some extremely common Pokemon in the Doubles OU metagame, including Landorus-T, Heatran, and Thundurus Thundurus-I. Its ability, Storm Drain, allows Gastrodon to check Rain rain teams and help teammates who that are weak to Water-type moves avoid damage. Gastrodon's access to recovery plus its coverage move pool movepool allow it to stay on the field many turns and deal damage to a wide variety of common threats. However, Gastrodon's very low Speed stat means it will always be moving last, and with it's poor Special Attack stat, it doesn't really thrive in Trick Room, and Gastrodon often relies on boosts from Storm Drain to be a real offensive threat. This lack of Speed and power means that Gastrodon is threatened by strong physical attackers, such as Mega Kangaskhan, when it cannot burn them in with Scald. Gastrodon also faces competition from many other Water-types in the Doubles OU metagame, such as Swampert, which has similar typing, movepool move pool, (RC) and access to Wide Guard, and Suicune, which is bulkier and movepool can provide speed control. Gastrodon also has to compete with other common checks to rain teams, such as Kyurem-Black Kyurem-B and Ferrothorn, which are better Pokemon overall and notably not weak to Grass-type moves from Ludicolo.

[SET]
evs: EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpA / 52 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Scald is the Gastrodon's most reliable Water-type STAB move, (AC) hitting from Gastrodon. It hits Fire-types like Talonflame, Volcarona, and Rotom-Heat. Not only does Scald provide decent okay power in a STAB attack, its 30% chance to burn can be a big help when facing physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan. Earth Power is Gastrodon's second STAB move, (AC) and it Earth Power hits Rock-types like Mega Diancie, Steel-types like Heatran and Aegislash, and the Water immune Water-immune Fire-type Volcanion. Ice Beam is a great coverage move for Gastrodon, as it hits Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Dragon-types such as Latios and Hydreigon, which would otherwise wall Gastrodon, as well as Flying-types like Landorus and Thundurus. Recover allows Gastrodon to regenerate its health and stay on the field longer than other Pokemon typically would, which can be vital in late game late-game situations or when taking opportunities of dead turns. Protect allows Gastrodon to protect itself while its partner handles a threat, and scout out an opposing moveset. Recover allows Gastrodon to stay on the field for longer and allows the Pokemon to utilize its bulk to regenerate its health, while Protect allows Gastrodon to avoid damage entirely for the turn while its partner handles a thread and scout out an opposing moveset.

Set Details
========

232 HP and 176 Defense EVs let Gastrodon take two Brave Birds from Adamant Life Orb Talonflame, which means Gastrodon can switch in on and defeat Talonflame 1v1. The 52 Special Defense EVs, paired with the given HP EVs, give Gastrodon the ability to survive a Psycho Boost from Deoxys-A Deoxys Attack. The remaining 48 Special Attack EVs allow Gastrodon to OHKO Salamence and Landorus-T with Ice Beam. Gastrodon's nature is Quiet so Gastrodon underspeeds Aegislash so it can A Quiet nature allows Gastrodon to be slower than Aegislash and OHKO it with Earth Power while it is in its Blade forme OHKO Aegislash with Earth Power while it is in Blade Forme. This will also allow Gastrodon to outspeed opposing Pokemon on Trick Room teams. Sitrus Berry provides instant recovery of 25% of Gastrodon's health, which helps against double targets and against Mega Kangaskhan due to Parental Bond. Expert Belt allows Gastrodon to do more damage against super effective targets that are hit super effectively, which works well in conjunction with its expansive movepool, (AC) coverage moves and pick up notable OHKOS OHKOs against opponents foes such as Mega Diancie with Earth Power.

Usage Tips
========

Gastrodon's ability redirects all Water-type attacks to itself, so it is a great check to rain teams, (RC) and it helps Water weak teammates avoid taking damage, which can put opponents foes in tough spots. Gastrodon shines by redirecting Water-type attacks and gaining Special Attack boosts, so luring a Water-type attack from your opponent with a Pokemon weak to Water, (RC) and then switching in Gastrodon is a prime way to use this the Pokemon. Gastrodon's bulk and typing give it the opportunity to switch in on many common Pokemon, such as Thundurus, Heatran, and Volcanion, as it will take very little damage from their attacks, and threatens threaten them both of those Pokemon in return. Recover is great to take advantage of turns where the opponent may double Protect, not target Gastrodon, or uses a power-dropping stat-dropping move, such as Draco Meteor or Superpower. Keep in mind that if Gastrodon's partner uses a non-spread Water-type move, Gastrodon will redirect it!

Team Options
========

Gastrodon's biggest threat is any Grass-type Pokemon or move. Great Pokemon to pair with Gastrodon to threaten Grass-types like Amoonguss or Breloom are Fire-types like Heatran or Blaziken, a Flying-type like Talonflame, or an Ice-type like Kyurem-Black. Putting Safety Goggles on Heatran makes it an even better Gastrodon partner, since Safety Goggles would allow Heatran to switch into Spores from Amoonguss and Breloom. Even with all of the EVs invested into its physical bulk, Gastrodon could still use help in that area, especially due to the ever-present Mega Kangaskhan. An Intimidate Pokemon, such as Landorus-T or Scrafty, can be a big help. Gastrodon can Recover more often if it is taking less damage from physical attackers. Gastrodon is a great partner for Pokemon weak to Water-type attacks, such as Mega-Diancie, Landorus-T, and Talonflame. This is also important on the offensive end—if Gastrodon's teammates aren't going to lure Water-type attacks, Gastrodon can't get Storm Boosts. Gastrodon handles Electric-types extremely well, so Pokemon that benefit from this, such as Talonflame and Gyarados, fit well with Gastrodon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Clear Smog is an optional move to run if the team Gastrodon is on seems weak to set up setup Pokemon, such as Power-Up Punch Mega Kangaskhan, Quiver Dance Volcarona, and Belly Drum Azumarill. Muddy Water is an optional spread attack for Gastrodon; (SC) however, this move is weak without a boost from Storm Drain, so it is usually better to stick with Scald. Counter and Mirror Coat make good use of Gastrodon's bulk by allowing it to take an attack and send it back at the user, but by using these moves Gastrodon will have a to drop a move that will usually be better because three damaging attacks are far less situational. Blizzard can be used over Ice Beam if Gastrodon is paired with Mega Abomasnow, as Blizzard will be 100% accurate in hail, but the power drop here is definitely noticeable. Icy Wind is another alternative to Ice Beam that provides speed control for Gastrodon's partners, but it removes Gastrodon's ability to deal big damage with its Ice-type attack.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-type Pokemon**: Grass-type Pokemon, such as Amoonguss and Breloom, will cause a lot of trouble for Gastrodon, as they resist both of Gastrodon's its STAB attacks, and Gastrodon is 4x weak to Grass-type attacks, so even defensive Pokemon like Amoonguss will be able to do significant damage to Gastrodon with their its STAB moves.

**Strong attackers**: Gastrodon is dreadfully slow, with only a base 39 Speed, As such, Gastrodon and as such it will usually be taking damage before moving giving damage. When this is combined with its average physical Defense, Gastrodon severely struggles with strong physical attackers, (RC) such as Mega Kangaskhan.

**Sun Teams**: Opposing sun teams can be a big threat to Gastrodon, as the sunlight weakens Gastrodon's STAB water moves and Gastrodon will easily be KO'd KOed by a grass move from Mega Charizard Y or Venusaur, the two staple Pokemon on traditional sun teams.

1/2

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Gastrodon's good typing and bulk, combined with its decent movepool, allow it to be a niche check to some extremely common Pokemon in the Doubles OU metagame, including Landorus-T, Heatran, and Thundurus. Its ability (RC) Storm Drain (RC) allows Gastrodon to check rain teams and help teammates that are weak to Water-type moves avoid damage. Gastrodon's access to recovery plus its coverage movepool allow it to stay on the field many turns and deal damage to a wide variety of common threats. However, Gastrodon's very low Speed stat means it will always be moving last, and with it's its poor Special Attack stat, it doesn't really thrive in Trick Room; (SC) and additionally, (AC) Gastrodon often relies on boosts from Storm Drain to be a real offensive threat. This lack of speed and power means that Gastrodon is threatened by strong physical attackers, such as Mega Kangaskhan, when it cannot burn them with Scald. Gastrodon also faces competition from many other Water-types, such as Swampert, which has similar typing, movepool and access to Wide Guard, and Suicune, which is bulkier and can provide speed control. Gastrodon also Similarly, (AC) Gastrodon has to compete with other common checks to rain teams, such as Kyurem-B and Ferrothorn, which are better Pokemon overall and notably not weak to Grass-type moves from Ludicolo.

[SET]
evs: EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpA / 52 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Scald is Gastrodon's most reliable Water-type STAB move, hitting Fire-types like Talonflame, Volcarona, and Rotom-Heat. Not only does Scald provide decent power in a STAB attack, its 30% chance to burn can be a big help when facing physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan. Earth Power is Gastrodon's second STAB move, and it hits Rock-types like Mega Diancie, Steel-types like Heatran and Aegislash, and the Water-immune Fire-type Volcanion. Ice Beam is a provides great coverage move for Gastrodon, as it hits on Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Dragon-types such as Latios and Hydreigon, which would otherwise wall Gastrodon, as well as Flying-types like Landorus and Thundurus. Recover allows Gastrodon to regenerate restore (more appropriate connotation) its health and stay on the field longer than other Pokemon typically would, which can be vital in late-game situations or when taking opportunities of dead turns. (taking advantage of free turns?) Recover allows Gastrodon to stay on the field for longer and allows the Pokemon to utilize its bulk to regenerate its health, while Alternatively, (AC) Protect allows Gastrodon to avoid damage entirely for the turn while its partner handles a threat and scout out an opposing moveset.

Set Details
========

232 HP and 176 Defense EVs let Gastrodon take two Brave Birds from Adamant Life Orb Talonflame, which means Gastrodon can switch in on and defeat Talonflame it 1v1 one-on-one. The 52 Special Defense EVs, paired with the given HP EVs, give Gastrodon the ability to survive a Psycho Boost from Deoxys-A. The remaining 48 EVs go into Special Attack EVs to allow Gastrodon to OHKO Salamence and Landorus-T with Ice Beam. A Quiet nature allows Gastrodon to be slower than Aegislash and OHKO it with Earth Power while it is in its Blade forme. This will also allow Gastrodon to outspeed opposing Pokemon on Trick Room teams. Sitrus Berry provides instant recovery of 25% of Gastrodon's health, which helps against double targets and against Mega Kangaskhan due to Parental Bond. Expert Belt allows Gastrodon to do more damage against targets that are hit super effectively, which works well in conjunction with its expansive movepool, and pick up notable OHKOs against foes such as Mega Diancie with Earth Power.

Usage Tips
========

Gastrodon's ability redirects all Water-type attacks to itself, so it is a great check to rain teams and helps Water weak teammates avoid taking damage, which can put foes in tough spots. Gastrodon shines by redirecting Water-type attacks and gaining Special Attack boosts, so luring a Water-type attack from your opponent with a Pokemon weak to Water and then switching in Gastrodon is a prime way to use this Pokemon. Gastrodon's bulk and typing give it the opportunity to switch in on many common Pokemon, such as Thundurus, Heatran, and Volcanion, as it will take very little damage from their attacks, and threaten them in return. Recover is great to take advantage of turns where the opponent may double Protect, not target Gastrodon, or use a stat-dropping move, such as Draco Meteor or Superpower. Keep in mind that if Gastrodon's partner uses a non-spread Water-type move, Gastrodon will redirect it too!

Team Options
========

Gastrodon's biggest threat is any Grass-type Pokemon or move. Great Pokemon to pair with Gastrodon to threaten Grass-types like Amoonguss or Breloom are Fire-types like Heatran or Blaziken, a Flying-type like Talonflame, or an Ice-type like Kyurem-B. Putting Safety Goggles on Heatran makes it an even better Gastrodon partner, since Safety Goggles would allow this allows Heatran to switch into Spores from Amoonguss and Breloom. Even with all of the EVs invested into its physical bulk, Gastrodon could still use help in that area, especially due to the ever-present Mega Kangaskhan. An Intimidate Pokemon, such as Landorus-T or Scrafty, can be a big help. Gastrodon can also use Recover more often if it is taking less damage from physical attackers. Gastrodon is a great partner for Pokemon weak to Water-type attacks, such as Mega Diancie, (RH) Landorus-T, and Talonflame. This is also important on the offensive end—if Gastrodon's teammates aren't going to lure Water-type attacks, Gastrodon can't get Storm Drain boosts. Gastrodon handles Electric-types extremely well, so Pokemon that benefit from this, such as Talonflame and Gyarados, fit well with Gastrodon it.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Clear Smog is an optional move to run if the team Gastrodon is on seems weak to setup Pokemon, such as Power-Up Punch Mega Kangaskhan, Quiver Dance Volcarona, and Belly Drum Azumarill. Muddy Water is an optional spread attack for Gastrodon; however, this move is weak without a boost from Storm Drain, so it is usually better to stick with Scald. Counter and Mirror Coat make good use of Gastrodon's bulk by allowing it to take an attack and send it back at the user, but by using these moves Gastrodon will have to drop a move that will usually be better because three damaging attacks are far less situational. Blizzard can be used over Ice Beam if Gastrodon is paired with Mega Abomasnow, as Blizzard will be 100% accurate in hail, but the power drop here is definitely noticeable. Icy Wind is another alternative to Ice Beam that provides speed control for Gastrodon's partners, but it removes Gastrodon's ability to deal big damage with its Ice-type attack.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-type Pokemon**: Grass-type Pokemon, such as Amoonguss and Breloom, will cause a lot of trouble for Gastrodon, as they resist both of its STAB attacks, and Gastrodon is 4x weak to Grass-type attacks, so even defensive Pokemon like Amoonguss will be able to do significant damage to Gastrodon with their STAB moves.

**Strong Attackers**: Gastrodon is dreadfully slow, with only a base 39 Speed, and as such it will usually be taking damage before moving. When this is combined with its average Defense, Gastrodon severely struggles with strong physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan.

**Sun Teams**: Opposing sun teams can be a big threat to Gastrodon, as the sun weakens Gastrodon's STAB water moves and Gastrodon will easily be KOed by a Grass-type move from Mega Charizard Y or Venusaur, the two staple Pokemon on traditional sun teams.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)