Gen 4 Sunny Day team

What up Smogon? For the last time of gen 4 I got a UU Sunny Day team here that I've been trying around the last couple of weeks. I has been pretty effective, getting me to a score of 1320 on the PO server (# 11), although it must be said that there like only 6 people playing Gen 4 UU there, so I often faced the same people in a row.

I tried the simple strategy of 2 Sunny Day users, an SD Tangrowth, a Choice Specs Typhlosion, Offensive Exeggutor with Explosion and a filler. It worked out decently but sometimes I still come across some big threats so perhaps some of you could give some suggestions. This is the teambuillding history (if anyone is interrested):

So I started the idea of a Sunny Day team because I wanted to abuse 2 powerful Sun sweepers, SD Tangrowth and Choice Specs Typhlosion. Both can desimate teams on their own but they get even stronger when used in a combination.

With those two in mind, it was pretty obvious that a Sunny Day user was needed here. I tried various of leads that could do so but I found Ambipom to be the most worthful. Fake Out to destroy Sashes, a fast Taunt that prevents the set up of entry hazards (whichTyphlosion greatly appreciate), great speed to utilize Sunny Day and U-turn to safely go to my sweepers.

To fix the problem I had against stall teams I added an offensive Exeggutor to the team. I had a fast Sleep Powder, 2 powerful STAB moves in the form of Psychic and Solar Beam and if something like Chansey comes in take those, he can just Explode.

Obviously, a single Sunny Day user doesn't suffice, especially one as frail as Ambipom. I would also appreciate Stealth Rock support as that can give some of my pokemon that needed extra bit of power to score that KO. Uxie is a great user for both these jobs. It can set up sun and Rocks, and if needed, it can even do it multiple times.

So now I had 5 guys but I still noticed some weaknesses. Mostly a solid resist to Bug, Ice and Flying types move that my sweepers then to attract. I tried Hariyama here. It has the useful ability Thick Fat which allows him to take Fire and attacks aimed at Tangrowth and Exeggutor. Uxie and Hariyama also make a solid defensive core.

After a while I noticed that my team is raped by the likes of Swellow, even with the Sun up. So I needed something that could cover those threats. Rhyperior made a great candidate to be on the team, not only because of it's great bulk and much appreciated resistances. That's the final form of team.

------------

------------

Now let's take an in depth look:

Ambipom (M) @ Heat Rock
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Sunny Day
- Fake Out

Ambipom leads of the team and it does a pretty good job at it. At the beginning of the battle, I only Fake Out against opposing Ambipom leads and Uxie / Mesprit leads. This is because Fake Out is highly predictable and my opponent will most likely switch to a Ghost - or Steel type anyway to take it. In the meanwhile I already have my Sunny Day set up. Leads that most likely stay in (like Omastar) are Taunted right away. Against Uxie and Mesprit leads I Fake Out to see what kind of lead they are, if they carry Leftovers or if they are Trick Scarfers. What I like about Ambipom is that he can prevent the set up of Stealth Rock of all leads. After the Sunny Day is set up I U-turn most of the time. Either to Typhlosion or Tangrowth, it depends on what my opponent has out. I usually preserve Ambipom to take out opposing Houndoom's, who are a real threat to my team once Sun goes away.
------------

Tangrowth (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Power Whip
- Earthquake

People tend to send in Spiritomb against Ambipom, who is complete set up fodder for Tangrowth if Taunted. With a couple of Sword Dances Tangrowth can be quite dangerous. Even without the sun, Tangrowth still is a potent threat. Rock Slide, Earthquake, Seed Bomb provide decent enough coverage. I know the analysis says Power Whip, but I preferred Seed Bomb for accuracy issues. Leftovers is opted over Life Orb because the slight recovery has helped out at times.
------------

Typhlosion (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden power [Rock]
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam

Choice Specs Typhlosion is a beast! STAB Eruption (when at full health) under sun is immensly powerful. So it's obvious that that is my main move. Solar Beam gives nice type coverage and is still a powerful move (~80% to Calm Milotic). The fact I don't have a spinner makes Typhlosion as little bit difficult to use but Ambipom usually prevent early hazards from being set up anyway. But if Typhlosion does get hurt is still have Flamethrower to attack with, which is still a powerful move when boosted by Blaze. Fire Blast nearly gives me the same KO's that Flamethrower do and the better accuracy and higher PP are preffered. Sleep Talk might seem like a weird option an Typhlosion but it has it's uses. it allows me to use Typhlosion as sleep fodder and status fodder after that (Uxie used to be my sleep fodder but he's too important to set up sun).
------------

Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Thunder Fang
- Morning Sun

Description
------------

Rhyperior (M) @ Heat Rock
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 132 HP / 212 Atk / 164 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Sunny Day
- Earthquake

Rhyperior might seem like an odd choice but it fits some niches in my team. It is used as bait to lure out the likes of Milotic so I can get Tangrowth / Exeggutor in easily. It also lures out the same counters that are used to counter Tangrowth so either one has a big chance of sweeping late game. But most of all it serves as a counter to Scyther and Swellow, 2 pokemon that can cause me a lot of trouble. Fun fact, in the Sun, Rhyperior can take a LO Azumaril Waterfall + Aqua Jet (thanks to Solid Rock). Setting up Substitute isn't that hard as Rhyperior can just switch in on Fire attacks aimed at my Grass sweepers and set up. Rock Blast (for hitting Substitute Mismagius who is a real pain sometimes), Earthquake and Megahorn provide good enough coverage for Rhyperior to cause some damage. I used to have Hariyama in this slot but Rhyperior seemed more useful overall.
------------

Exeggutor (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Sleep Powder
- SolarBeam
- Psychic
- Explosion

Exeggutor is the most commonly seen pokemon on Sunny Day team and for a reason. With a base special attack of 125 and 2 powerful STAB moves getting powered up by Life Orb are sure to dent something. And if the opponent resist the move combination (Houndoom) it is put to sleep and I'll switch to a counter. If Exegutor reaches the end of it's life it can still go out with bang, Explosion is great for Chansey as well.

Older members:

Uxie @ Heat Rock
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- U-turn
- Sunny Day
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic

As mentioned before, Uxie has several uses for this team. It's sets up Stealth Rock and Sun, multiple times if needed as Uxie is bulky enough to do so. I opted for a Relaxed nature here so I can U-turn after being attacked and thus getting my sweepers in unharmed. Psychic is used to deal some damage when needed and makes sure Uxie isn't complete set up fodder but sometimes I use Thunder Wave instead (which is overal better, but I'll be set up fodder for Mismagius).

Okay, I would do a full rate but I really haven't played Gen 4 UU for a long time so my memory as to how to beat your counters is failing me somewhat. I can however offer some suggestions on the rest of your team:

Consider dropping Fake Out due to its predictability on Ambi, and running either Payback to catch the predictable ghosts (including the threatening Missy) or perhaps Return/Low Kick.

On Tangrowth I really would advise Power Whip for the boosted power - and since you aren't using LO anyway, consider running Wide Lens to give it and Rock Slide a much more reliable accuracy. The recovery shouldn't be helping you that much that it's really necessary, anyway. Also, take a look at the UU speed tiers in the articles part of DP, and see if you can drop your speed at all to invest some more in bulk. There's nothing noticeable inbetween 448 speed and 426, so you can afford to run 16 less Spe and still beat Scarf Venusaur etc.

Try out HP Rock on Typh, it can help with Fire mons switching into you quite a bit (bar Blaziken), probably over Sleep Talk.

Thanks Benlisted for your suggestions.

I don't know about removing Fake Out, it's a useful move even though it is predictable.

Power Whip's accuracy is a bit of a let down and after a couple and SD's Seed Bomb get's the same amount of KO's, I shall try Power Whip though (I do like your Wide Lens suggestion).

I shall change Tangrowth's EV spread then, thanks.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I haven't rated stuff in a while, but since you seem to have put so much effort in this team and got almost no feedback I guess I could help. The team looks pretty good, but I have a suggestion that can be used over Uxie and Rhyperior:

name: Sunny Day
move 1: Sunny Day
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 4: Explosion
item: Heat Rock
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 SpD

Copy pasted this from the C&C thread I posted. This guy does pretty much everything Rhyperior did (check Swellow, Scyther, Mismagius, Arcanine); while having the added bonus of handling Moltres and Houndoom, both of which break through your team once sun is down. Of course, it's not as durable as the two of them in conjunction, and lacks Leftovers, but seems to fit your team better and frees a slot on your team for another sun sweeper. The EVs guarantee Explosion will OHKO max/max Milotic, making it easier for Typhlosion to sweep with Eruption. Again, this guy has his own downfalls, and doesn't stick around as long as Rhyperior to check stuff, so you should consider using a Pokemon over Uxie that can at least check those threats:

name: Offensive
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: ExtremeSpeed
move 3: Thunder Fang
move 4: Morning Sun
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Checks Swellow and Scyther with Intimidate, ExtremeSpeed, and good bulk; and seems to beat or at least check all of the Pokemon that can trouble you (Registeel, Venusaur, Houndoom, Chansey, Mismagius, Rotom, Sceptile, Alakazam). This guy is pretty flexible, so you could easily change natures, movesets and EVs as you see fit. Another Pokemon that benefits from the removal of Milotic and other bulky Water-types.

Regarding the other Pokemon themselves, I'd recommend you to stick with Tangrowth's current spread, so that you have something that can at least tie with Aggron if sun is down or if it's up and it gets a Rock Polish. It's pretty rare I know, but a little more HP probably won't be too wonderful anyways. I'd go back to Power Whip as well (without Wide Lens... just don't use it...), the power drop is just huge, and you're already running Jolly, which means you'll miss on a lot of KOes (IIRC, Milotic is one of them, which is just pretty bad). I'd use Life Orb as well, especially because Tangrowth is no offensive behemoth and you'll probably love the extra damage dealt to the likes of Registeel when trying to sweep later with Exeggutor, but that's just me.

On Typhlosion, you'll probably want Hidden Power Rock over Sleep Talk; you really don't have the time to play around with Sleep Talk with sun's clock ticking nor should you be sacrificing your best shot at breaking through very defensive teams to sleep. Added to that, Hidden Power Rock gives you a fast way of beating Houndoom, Ninetales, Moltres, Arcanine (if sun is down and Typhlosion isn't at full HP; and all of them are huge bitches to your team). A Timid nature isn't a terrible idea as well, as you still get your 2HKO against Chansey and Milotic, so I don't think you miss on much; and it would mean you get to outspeed Moltres and Houndoom. Trading Flamethrower for Fire Blast could compensate for the loss on power, but accuracy issues come into play again, and I'm a bit biased on this subject by thinking you should have Fire Blast with no spinner around.

That's pretty much it. I just posted everything that came to my mind, so feel free to discard some / all of those suggestions if you don't see them fit. Good luck =)

Thanks for the rate Bluewind!
Changes have been been made in the OP, I shall try Regirock and Arcanine.

for your typhlosion, i would probably change sleep talk to either hp rock or focus blast for opposing fire and clefable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)