Gen 7 OM Competitive Discussion

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Provided it has decent enough stats, it could maybe be pretty okay in Tier Shift, provided it's PU. I don't really think Snorlax having its own signature Z-Move will affect its viability that much, due to Z-Crystals taking up the item slot, and it could run more useful items for it like Leftovers. I'm probably not going to use Z-Moves that much in general, because it's better to have an item that can last the entire battle over just a one-turn nuke, imo.
I feel as if it might be bad in Tier Shift as well, because I doubt Alolan Raticate would be PU.

I dont even know if this should be updated....

Ultra Beasts!!!!!
Also Jangmo-o's line actually being able to switch in freely on Pixilate Hyper Voices (Can't see Bulletproof being as beneficial on it unless Gen VII introduces Ice or Fairy-type projectile moves). Depending on Speed and access to Steel or Poison-type moves...

Last edited:
Also Jangmo-o's line actually being able to switch in freely on Pixilate Hyper Voices (Can't see Bulletproof being as beneficial on it unless Gen VII introduces Ice or Fairy-type projectile moves). Depending on Speed and access to Steel or Poison-type moves...
What assures you that it is a line? It can be Spinda V2, A pokemon with great ways to evolve yet all were ignored, but yeah, it does look like it will evolve to a Dragon/Electric pokemon.. about as much as Spinda looks like that he is going to evolve to a Normal/Fighting.

But even if he is a Spinda V2, then there is metas like TS which are going to like his probably low tier, and make him a counter for Aurorus and Sylveon if a team is in need :P

G-Luke

Also guys potential spoilers from the second Japanese trailer

Potential Cutiefly evo?!?

I dont even know if this should be updated....

Ultra Beasts!!!!!
The piece about Ultra Beasts is under the "Alola Region" section of the SuMo website, not the "Pokemon" section. Plus it says:

In the Alola region, rumors are flying about mysterious creatures known as Ultra Beasts. Ultra Beasts possess mighty powers and could pose a threat to humans and Pokémon, so they are feared.
i.e. they pose a threat to Pokemon and they clearly aren't referred to as Pokemon. Until we get more info, I'd be sceptical about them being catchable- they could also be non-Pokemon bosses a la Bittercold in PMD Gates to Infinity.

From Serebii,
New images of CoroCoro have come out showcasing more of Lugarugan. In it, it shows the Midday Form being obtained in Pokémon Sun and the Midnight Form being obtained in Pokémon Moon. It also says that Midday Form has a move called AccelRock, which is a priority move, while Midnight Form has got the move Counter. We'll bring more as it comes
Rock-type priority. Odds are it's 40BP and physical. Near as I can tell, every Rock-type not named Aerodactyl will become a LOT better in STABmons, and anything Rock-weak will be worse for it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Quick Attack (Rock-type) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 204-240 (68.6 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

And for the lulz,

252 Atk Mega Beedrill Quick Attack (Rock-type) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 256-304 (86.1 - 102.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Today's information:

Passimian is a Fighting-type monkey with an ability called Receiver that makes it "inherit" the ability of a dead teammate in doubles.
Oranguru is a Normal/Psychic-type gorilla with Inner Focus / Telepathy and a move Instruct that makes the target repeat its last move

Lugarugan is called Lycanroc in English
Midday form has Keen Eye / Sand Rush
Midnight form has Keen Eye / Vital Spirit
Midday learns a Rock-type priority move called Accelerock, as Akumeoy mentioned above

Pikachu-exclusive Z-Move called Catastropika
Eevee-exclusive Z-Move called Extreme Evoboost that increases every stat by 2 stages

It'll be interesting to see if these Z-Moves are 1) hardcoded and 2) can be hacked to be usable without the item. That could have a great impact on BH, needless to say, with superior Power Herb Geomancy running around everywhere. Eagerly awaiting more Z-Move news

Last edited:
If Extreme Evoboost is usable on everyone via hacking without an item and has more than 1 PP, it'll replace every boosting move in BH except maybe Belly Drum for Extreme Speed. Heck, it'd potentially replace even Contrary by virtue of being more flexible. Which is the kind of power creep I don't like since it just cuts down on variety and homegenizes things. (Also, Simple Extreme Evoboost. Prepare your Unawares.)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
"Rock-type priority"

RIP Talonflame. Accelerock might be the most exciting news competitive-wise simply given that it would allow Lycanroc to wreck not just Talonflame, but Charizard-Y (assuming Mega Evolutions still exist), Mega Pinsir, Volcarona, and potentially even some frailer 2x weak Pokemon like Thundurus (though you'll probably still have to worry about priority Thunder Wave, barring Sand Rush being active).

In other news, Instruct looks like a worse Encore unless it has increased priority status, and even then, Prankster Encore is a thing. Unless Instruct works on Z-Moves or something and allows you to reuse them, in which case that's insane.

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"Rock-type priority"

RIP Talonflame. Accelerock might be the most exciting news competitive-wise simply given that it would allow Lycanroc to wreck not just Talonflame, but Charizard-Y (assuming Mega Evolutions still exist), Mega Pinsir, Volcarona, and potentially even some frailer 2x weak Pokemon like Thundurus (though you'll probably still have to worry about priority Thunder Wave, barring Sand Rush being active).

In other news, Instruct looks like a worse Encore unless it has increased priority status, and even then, Prankster Encore is a thing. Unless Instruct works on Z-Moves or something and allows you to reuse them, in which case that's insane.
Actually, If what is seen from the trailer is uncut, Instruct allows you to use the move instead of attacking with the pokemon that knows instruct. Or I could just be bad :s

It says Accelrock will always go first. Maybe it's Rock-type ESpeed, or it could just be the description lying to us and Lycanroc being faster than the Pokemon that used Ice Shard. I can't remember the Pokemon that used Ice Shard off the top of my head.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Actually, If what is seen from the trailer is uncut, Instruct allows you to use the move instead of attacking with the pokemon that knows instruct. Or I could just be bad :s
Fair enough; I was only basing it on the move description on Serebii as I can't watch the trailer right now.

Either way, it doesn't sound like a particularly useful move.

Fair enough; I was only basing it on the move description on Serebii as I can't watch the trailer right now.

Either way, it doesn't sound like a particularly useful move.
It's practically worthless in singles, but it actually seems very good in Doubles. Instruct targets an ally Pokemon and gets them to use their move again in the same turn. Think of it as the Instruct Pokemon giving up their turn so that the partner Pokemon can move twice. It's a good pairing with really powerful Pokemon, and it can probably be used well with setup Pokemon.

G-Luke

Today's information:

Passimian is a Fighting-type monkey with an ability called Receiver that makes it "inherit" the ability of a dead teammate in doubles.
Oranguru is a Normal/Psychic-type gorilla with Inner Focus / Telepathy and a move Instruct that makes the target repeat its last move

Lugarugan is called Lycanroc in English
Midday form has Keen Eye / Sand Rush
Midnight form has Keen Eye / Vital Spirit
Both learn a Rock-type priority move called Accelerock, as Akumeoy mentioned above

Pikachu-exclusive Z-Move called Catastropika
Eevee-exclusive Z-Move called Extreme Evoboost that increases every stat by 2 stages

It'll be interesting to see if these Z-Moves are 1) hardcoded and 2) can be hacked to be usable without the item. That could have a great impact on BH, needless to say, with superior Power Herb Geomancy running around everywhere. Eagerly awaiting more Z-Move news

It ws specifically said that only Midday Lycanroc gets Accelerock

Speaking of STABmons and Balanced Hackmons, I feel that Sunsteel Strike, Moongeist Beam and Core Enforcer could be very influential moves (the latter if it isn't locked to Zygarde a la Hyperspace Fury). Sunsteel Strike will offer special Steel types like Heatran and Dialga a powerful STAB (it was strong enough to OHKO a Salamence in the video), and in BH Tinted Lens Dialga could use it to great effect. As it negates abilities, it can smash straight through Sturdy Shedinja. Moongeist Beam will offer Special Ghost types a stronger STAB (probably) and even if it is no stronger than Shadow Ball it has a much better secondary effect. Core Enforcer gives Special Dragon types a STAB that doesn't lower stats and again even if it's no stronger than Dragon Pulse it has better utility.

Egg moves I'm hoping for:

Nasty Plot Pidgey (Honchkrow)
Head Smash Geodude (Aegislash)
Slack Off Snorlax/Munchlax (Slowbro)
Boomburst Amaura (Exploud)
Sucker Punch Larvitar (Druddigon)
Sucker Punch Pancham (Mightyena)

Last edited:
Sturdinja is going to get a lot worse in BH due to Sunsteel Strike/Moongeist Beam. Pokemon no longer have to waste their ability on Mold Breaker to beat it, and It's almost a guarantee that they'll have a BP no less than 100, so they'll probably be useful outside of their ability bypassing effects.

One thing I've noticed so far about Sun and Moon so far is how many new abilities there are, and how many of them are fucking broken. I can see a lot more ability bans in BH and AAA.

Examples:
Dazzling - Good on both HO and Stall, makes priority a lot worse if Giratina-O becomes a trend. Not entirely sure if this would be broken or not though.
Disguise - Again, not entirely sure if this would be broken or not, but it would guarantee setup and the like. Think of Protect + Speed Boost, but with far more versatility.
Innards Out - Isn't really broken as much as it is uncompetitive, if you put it on something like Wailord then you guarantee a kill. At a price, but this is still pretty uncompetitive.
Stakeout - Dealing double damage on switch-ins is already overpowered. But "enter the field mid-battle" So basically, after you manage to kill/force out the first Pokemon on the other team then your moves deal double damage.
Wimp Out - Wimp Out Giratina-O + Deoxys-A. That is all.

Sturdinja is going to get a lot worse in BH due to Sunsteel Strike/Moongeist Beam. Pokemon no longer have to waste their ability on Mold Breaker to beat it, and It's almost a guarantee that they'll have a BP no less than 100, so they'll probably be useful outside of their ability bypassing effects.

One thing I've noticed so far about Sun and Moon so far is how many new abilities there are, and how many of them are fucking broken. I can see a lot more ability bans in BH and AAA.

Examples:
Dazzling - Good on both HO and Stall, makes priority a lot worse if Giratina-O becomes a trend. Not entirely sure if this would be broken or not though.
Disguise - Again, not entirely sure if this would be broken or not, but it would guarantee setup and the like. Think of Protect + Speed Boost, but with far more versatility.
Innards Out - Isn't really broken as much as it is uncompetitive, if you put it on something like Wailord then you guarantee a kill. At a price, but this is still pretty uncompetitive.
Stakeout - Dealing double damage on switch-ins is already overpowered. But "enter the field mid-battle" So basically, after you manage to kill/force out the first Pokemon on the other team then your moves deal double damage.
Wimp Out - Wimp Out Giratina-O + Deoxys-A. That is all.
Idk if it's on the same tier as those other abilities, but all I know is Corrosion is gonna be hella fun to use as well.

More good news for Dragon types in STABmons - Exeggutor-A gets a move called Dragon Hammer, which was strong enough to OHKO an Exeggute. It will be nice for Dragon types to get a physical move that doesn't lock them in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)