SM Ubers Gen VII Pokebank Ubers Stall Team

Storm Eagle

Banned deucer.
This is a stall team modified from a largely successful one from ORAS. I have gotten an 89% W/L ratio and currently have 1506 in ranking. This team has also proven largely successful but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Pyukumuku @ Light Clay
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Toxic

For stall teams Unaware is obligatory, and I used to use Clefable but now I use Pyukumuku due to the better typing and defenses overall. This mon can easily tank Geoxern, DDance MegaMence, SD PDon, Extremekiller Arceus and many more mons that specifically try to setup sweep. As Geoxern is omnipresent in Ubers, Thunder may prove a threat to Pyukumuku due to paralysis (and critting), but since the chances of that happening are low, I have not vouched for a Lum/Cheri Berry since Light Clay was much better. Thunder is also why I ran a specially defensive EV set over a physically defensive one.

As for how I use it, I will often switch it in on a setup sweeper which is setting up, get a screen up based on whether the target is running special or physical setup moves, then I will get my health up and toxic stall. As for the move choice, I chose dualscreens explicitly because it was the best option for Pyukumuku and it's not a necessity for my team so losing it isn't that bad for my team. It is nearly impossible to 2HKO Pyukumuku (especially with screens) in many circumstances so stalling is rather easy with him.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Wish

This is going to be a rather controversial set but it has been working. I've considered using Blissey which I know is better in some scenarios in Uber, however I don't find Mega Gengar to be a serious threat and since Taunt is... rather rare I can get away with this set. I used to use Skarmory in this specific spot but replaced it with Chansey this generation as I needed a cleric and wishpasser especially as Pyukumuku did not have the moves. I am actually finding more use out of Chansey now than I did Skarmory.

I really wanted to have a mon with hazards and I ultimately chose SR over Seismic Toss due to the large pool of Ghost types (Arceus-Ghost, Lunala, Gengar, Giratina-Origin, etc.) currently being used alongside the rather large HP of each Ubers mon and I went SR over Toxic as well due to already having three pokemon which have Toxic as is.

If I must, I will run SR on Ferrothorn over Chansey, but I am finding this set to be working well right now.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

One of the best hardstops to POgre around which is still very, VERY prevalent. It can tank Xerneas and many mons which others can't. Leech Seed is for chip damage and it helps on switch-ins to counter Ferrothorn such as Lunala (one of the most common switch-ins to Ferrothorn in my experience, complete with breaking Shadow Shield) and give Ferro more self-sustainability without the help of other teammates. Power Whip and Gyro Ball are STAB which can wear down bulkier mons and knock out more frail ones which aren't worth seeding such as Mega Gengar. Protect is simply used to scout or get more health out of Leftovers and Leech Seed.

Ferro has been extremely reliable in times when others are essentially checked/countered.

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Defog

The physical core of my team. This is the best of the best of the stall mons in Ubers and is one of the very few mons which can counter PDon. This thing can tank 4-5 neutral hits from literally any mon. The only annoyance which I've had with this mon is that Solgaleo checks it, but Ho-Oh solves that problem. This mon is bulky enough to Toxic Stall without any form of recovery other than lefties. Dragon Tail is used for chip damage (also for Stealth Rocks), to annoy Mega Gengar users, and in case Giratina gets taunted.

Rest is used for self-healing but since Giratina is bulky enough to withstand a fuckton of damage, Sleep Talk isn't needed. Worst case scenario I'll get Chansey to use Heal Bell. Rest is also beneficial in that it doesn't waste PP while asleep, which stallwars can and often do happen. Defog is obligatory hazard clearance for Ho-Oh. Pressure is also an immensely helpful ability which can annoy certain bulkier mons and help win stallwars faster.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Toxic
- Brave Bird

The special core of this team. Alongside Giratina virtually nothing gets past. Recover and Toxic allow for chip damage and toxic stalling. Regenerator makes Ho-Oh infinitely more bulky as he can pivot constantly as he pleases. Brave Bird is to get rid of glassier threats and to add on chip damage for bulkier ones. Sacred Fire is used to inflict burns and also as an offensive move if the target resists flying. Ho-Oh is the prime counter to Solgaleo, Lunala, and on occasion, Xerneas. I will always send this mon out if I predict a special move that is neutral/resistant to it. The spread is to maximize bulk and to survive against certain attacks from some mons.

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

Even post-nerf Mega Sableye still does great. Dark types are rare and I can just Mega Evolve if need be. The Mega Evolution ability mechanic change doesn't affect Sableye much either, but I will preferably keep Sableye in his normal state until absolutely needed. Giratina can deal with hazards and Chansey can tank status with Natural Cure. As for the moves, Sableye often goes out first and will Fake Out to scout if the opponent will switch or not and get minor chip damage. Wisp is used for cheeky mons which try to KO Sableye physically. Foul Play punishes them worse and Solgaleo absolutely loathes Mega Sableye. Recover is used for durability.

The 8 speed was used to outspeed a certain mon but I can't remember offhand which mon it was.

Even though Hypnosis+Gengar(ite) got banned doesn't mean he won't be used... he will a lot, and seems like you forgot that.
Pyukumuku gets trapped, gone. Chansey gets trapped, gone. Even Ferrothorn might get trapped and killed by a Focus Blast. And ultimately Ho-Oh would most likely get D-Bonded if Gengar had the move.
What's left are 2 ghosts that are both weak to Fairy.
So Gengo+Xerneas and a couple more support would probably 6-0 you in 30 turns.
But i can see Pyukumuku being viable with that overpowered ability+defensive stats.

Last edited:
Is not Blissey Shed Shell better than Chansey in Ubers? This way you're not as obvious to trapped as MGengar. What's more, it's a danger since it not only causes that with Shadow Tag, it also gives problems with their different sets.

the lack of lugia is upsetting. this team is 6-0d by any semicompetent mega gengar user. just use softboiled instead of protect on chansey, btw. no need to have tect rly.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Gengar can trap and remove half of your team and the only thing that doesn't get 2hkod is Ho-oh. I'd definitely say you need some way of punishing mega Gengar, most notably with a pursuit trapper like TTar with a chople berry.

Yveltal can 2hko literally everything on your team with the moves Dark Pulse and Knock off. When Dark types are this good, you should have some way of dealing with them at least. TTar again helps, but having a Support Arceus form would also help here.

You're solid vs Xerneas but you've significantly overprepared for it. SD Groudon destroys you. Again, a support Arceus like Arceus-Water or Arceus-Ground will help you a lot.

Your only way of dealing with Ho-oh is by letting it kill itself against Giratina. A well played Ho-oh can hurt your team, so again I would say ttar is useful, although not a catch all check due to earthquake. Arceus-Water would help out a lot here.

The two most useless mons on your team right now are Ferrothorn and Giratina-A. Thus, I would recommend changing them to TTar and Arceus-Ground, or if you're willing to change pyukumuku to clefable, Arceus-Water. Ferrothorn isn't as good of a Kyogre check as Seismic Toss Chansey is. I would change Chansey to Rocks Heal Bell SToss and Softboiled. Your team all have solid reliable ways of recovery so Wish-Pass isn't needed. Giratina looks nice on paper but in practice it doesn't do anything you dont already accomplish with other members of your team. Ekiller gets checked by Sableye, Groudon (would) get checked by Support Arceus, Defog again Arceus, Ho-oh is checked by Support Arceus and TTar, and it doesn't actually do anything to help your team accomplish its goal. It just sits there being annoying while being completely unthreatening to your opponent's team. At least with Arceus-Ground you can fire off Judgments coming off of 120 Spa with Stab and Plate boost, and you actually threaten stuff.

TTar can be rest talk pursuit rock slide, Ice beam rock slide pursuit rest, or twave rest stabs. Arceus would be toxic defog recover judgment.

If Xern uses Thunder on the first turn, it has an 89% chance to 2HKO the Pyukumuku. Of course, this doesn't account for accuracy, so the number is actually about half that (.89 * .7 * .7). Still, I don't know if Pyukumuku can be called a GeoXern check if it loses almost half the time to a correctly-predicting Xern.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)