Golurk Discussion

Stratos

Banned deucer.

What is (IMO) the most underrated threat in RU? Golurk more and you'll find out.

#622 Golurk
89/124/80/55/80/55
Iron Fist/Klutz/No Guard(hidden)
Ghost/Ground

Moves (Notable in Bold):

Level:

Pound
Astonish
Defense Curl
Mud-slap
Rollout
Shadow Punch
Iron Defense
Mega Punch
Magnitude
DynamicPunch
Night Shade
Curse
Heavy Slam
Earthquake
Hammer Arm
Focus Punch

TM:

06 Toxic
10 Hidden Power
13 Ice Beam
15 Hyper Beam
17 Protect
18 Rain Dance
19 Telekinesis
20 Safeguard
21 Frustration
22 SolarBeam
24 Thunderbolt
26 Earthquake
27 Return
29 Psychic
30 Shadow Ball
31 Brick Break
32 Double Team
39 Rock Tomb
42 Facade
44 Rest
46 Thief
47 Low Sweep
48 Round
52 Focus Blast
56 Fling
57 Charge Beam
68 Giga Impact
69 Rock Polish
70 Flash
71 Stone Edge
74 Gyro Ball
78 Bulldoze
80 Rock Slide
86 Grass Knot
87 Swagger
90 Substitute
91 Flash Cannon
94 Rock Smash
02 Fly
04 Strength

Sporting a sexy three immunities as well as the very hawt resistances to the Rock and Bug types, Golurk can take a hit and give one right back with his very passable 89/80/80 defenses and outstanding (for RU) base 124 Attack Stat. He has access to an epically strong Iron Fist boosted Focus Punch, and the great offensive ground type.

However, he's not in the top ten for a pretty good reason: Physical Ghost is tied with Special Rock as the shittiest offensive typing ever unless your name is Giratina, as even an Iron Fist boosted Shadow Punch hits hardly more than 100 base power. Golurk can overcome this weakness, though, and be a BOSS if you need one.

Set #1: SubPunch

Golurk @ Leftovers
Adamant
Iron Fist
212 HP/252 Atk/44 Spe
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Shadow Punch
-Stone Edge/Earthquake

SubPunch is obviously the crux of this set, as he has a base 180 Power Focus Punch. Shadow Punch is for STAB and perfect coverage, as EQ has very redundant coverage with fighting and is actually a weaker option where the two are both hitting for neutral. The last slot is Stone Edge, as in emergency situations he can serve as a check to the Bugs or Moltres, and it's even more fun to see them come in on an unrevealed SE and die. If you believe Shadow Punch does enough to the flying pests, or you already have enough ways to take the flyers, you can go with EQ for solid smashing capability when Focus Punch is unavailable.

It's best to only bring this guy in on a Pokemon he is likely to switch out, as otherwise you can take quite a sock to the face. Again, he can emergency check almost anything granted he is at full health to take a hit and sub up, but the word emergency is there for a reason.

Set #2: Earth Polish?

Golurk @ Lefties/LO
Jolly
Iron Fist
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
-Rock Polish
-EQ
-Shadow Punch
-Stone Edge

This set also gets perfect coverage (I think?) in RU while giving the Iron Giant the ability to outspeed his usual counters. EQ and Shadow Punch give him rather good Dual STABs, with Stone Edge rounding out the coverage on the set to deal a hurting to any Pokemon who dares to get in his way.

So. Discussions?​

I use EQ on the subpunching set, I know focus punch covers takes advantage of hitting the same types for super effective, but it isn't always possible to use it. And the STAB is rather nice.

I can't wait for his Dreamworld ability to come out, a Rockpolish Dynamic puncher will be amazing.

This thing gets Fly. I love thinking about it (not that its a good move or I think it is).

And I agree with Pwnemon, hitting Moltres, Yanmega, etc. is more important than the coverage form EQ.

You may want to try 44 Speed EVs on the Sub-Punch set just so that you can set up a sub before getting poisoned/burned by the likes of Weezing and Clefable. Moreover, wouldn't Adamant also make a scholar option for the RP set? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only notable threat Golurk is outspeeding with a Jolly Nature Accelgor and Scarfed PZ? Noted the ladder is indeed a large threat, and that Jolly does also deserve merit for such a reason, but considering the rest of the tier wouldn't the extra power be appreciated now and again?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
You are right, golurk will only be outspeeding those two, but better to be able to roflstomp porygon than vice-versa.

also, thanks for the other suggestions, i'll put them in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)