Guerrilla Radio

Introduction

After seeing Burn All, Drown All and Rock All, three great teams each showcasing different weathers, why not have Hail? While it is inferior to the other weathers, I tried to build a team able to function with it and its only inducer: Abomasnow. It was very hard to put everything in place, since I was essentially working with five Pokémon, given Abomasnow's abysmal typing and subpar stats. But I can say I am happy with the results after making a number of changes. I got to #5 (1586) on the Pokémon Online ladder under the name guerrilla radio, and around 1330 on the Smogon ladder under the same name, but I didn't try as hard on that one. As most of you probably know, the name comes from the Rage Against the Machine song, Guerrilla Radio, but I guess it can be called Freeze All or something to go with the pattern, though I don't really want to be calling it that. To avoid going on about fairly pointless information for too much longer, here's the team:

At a Glance

In Depth

Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Blizzard
- Substitute
- Wood Hammer
- Leech Seed

The first and most important member of the team: Abomasnow. Abomasnow induces permanent hail, which makes Kyogre's Water-type attacks and Fire-type Pokémon's sun boosted attacks less threatening (I still have to switch out of the fire attacks obviously). Due to the rarity of Ice-type Pokémon, the only one seen more than a very low 2% being Cloyster, the hail will cancel the opponent's Leftovers recovery, or just rack up an extra 6% damage for Choiced Pokémon. The downside to this, however, is that all my other Pokémon also get buffeted by hail, cancelling their Leftovers recovery. Playing with Abomasnow is tough: it has seven weaknesses, including a weakness to Rock, which means it gets severly crippled by Stealth Rock. It is also hit by (Toxic) Spikes, meaning I need to also keep Forretress healthy at all times, which is a lot easier said than done.

For the set, I opted for a SubSeed set, not too shocking for a Stall team. Substitute and Leech Seed are the cruxes of the set, letting Abomasnow recover HP behind a Substitute. Blizzard also comes as no surprise here, its accuracy is boosted from 70% to 100% in Hail and has a very good Base Power of 120. Ice is a great attacking type in the Ubers environment, scoring super effectives on the multitude of Dragon-type Pokémon that plague the tier (minus Dialga, Palkia, and the seldom seen Kingdra), and also on Groudon and Lugia. Wood Hammer, while odd on a set like this, helps me take down RestTalk Calm Mind Kyogre, who can pose a big threat to my team, since otherwise I would have to rely on Giratina to phaze it with Dragon Tail. A Sassy nature was chosen here to be able to sponge special attacks (most notably Kyogre's attacks) better without hurting its attacking stats. Since it is slow, it is almost guaranteed to get Hail up. The only weather inducer slower than it is Hippowdon, so if you want to be slower than that, set Abomasnow's Speed IV to 19, putting at 129, one point slower than a neutral natured, 0 Speed EV Hippowdon.

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Next is Forretress, who plays a couple of key roles for this team. Its primary task is to spin away entry hazards, and especially Stealth Rock, which deals a big amount of damage to Abomasnow and Ho-oh. Its second big job is to lay its own hazards on the opponent's side of the field. While this team only has one phazer, the Pokémon in this team can force a lot of switches, stacking up more and more damage on the opponent's team, even Forretress can force a lot switches, finding plenty of opportunities to set up (Toxic) Spikes against Choiced Dragon-type attacks for example.

The last moveslot wasn't too hard to pick. The choices were Gyro Ball, Volt Switch, and Toxic. Gyro Ball is way too weak of an attack for me, coming off a not so great base 90 Attack stat, and the faster targets are either resistant to Gyro Ball (Scarf Kyogre, Palkia), or have a sky-high Defense stat (Lugia). Not to mention it only has 8 PP, which can easily get stalled out, due to the abundance of Pressure. Volt Switch was the second option, while it wasn't bad, it wasn't particulary great even though it did keep me in a favourable position temporarily. The last choice was Toxic, which is what I elected for in the end. Forretress' most common switch-ins are Giratina-O and Ghost Arceus, who switch in to block Rapid Spin and use Hidden Power [Fire] or Flamethrower respectively, though Hidden Power [Fire] is not seen as frequently as before on Giratina-O due to the prevalence of rain. Catching these two Pokémon on the switch with Toxic limits their time on the battlefield, giving me an easier time to pull off a Rapid Spin and thus giving me the edge against opposing Stall teams.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 208 HP / 220 Atk / 76 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Substitute

Ho-oh is the third Pokémon on the squad and although it takes 50% damage from Stealth Rock, it is still a hard Pokémon to take down. Ho-oh acts as my check for a lot of Pokémon, including but not limited to most Calm Mind Arceus formes and Darkrai. Without Ho-oh, checking these threats becomes considerably harder, since the only way for me to beat Calm Mind Arceus otherwise is to Toxic them with Forretress, and I have to KO Darkrai with Palkia.

The moveset is very standard. Sacred Fire and Brave Bird are very powerful STAB attacks, providing very good coverage between them, and the former having a 50% chance to burn the opponent, deterring certain Pokémon from switching in, such as Zekrom, who resists both Sacred Fire and Brave Bird. Ho-oh can even take advantage of Groudon's sunlight should that be the weather currently in effect, gaining a second boost to Sacred Fire on top of STAB. Roost is a no-brainer, this move is essential to Ho-oh's survival, and lets it recover all of the health it lost to Stealth Rock damage or other. The last slot went to Substitute, to further capitalise on Hail and hazards damage, in particuliar Toxic Spikes damage which amplifies every turn if I get two layers up, or still does a solid 12.5% damage each turn if I only manage to get one. I also tested Whirlwind and Earthquake over Substitute before making it the fourth move. Whirlwind was used for extra phazing along with Giratina's Dragon Tail, piling up the damage, and Earthquake gave me an answer to Heatran, who is rare, but still poses a threat to this team, with my only reliable way of hitting it being Palkia's Surf. Earthquake also gave me a way of hitting Zekrom, Rock Arceus and Tyranitar for more damage, but I didn't want to leave Ho-oh in on those Pokémon anyway, so it rarely saw use. I tweaked the EVs from the analysis a little bit: 208 EVs in HP give it 405 HP, letting it switch into Stealth Rock twice, while also enabling it to generate 101 HP Substitutes, which is helpful against Chansey and Blissey. 4 Speed EVs is speedcreep, with them I outspeed other Tank Ho-oh and other base 90 Speed Pokémon that do not run any Speed EVs.

Giratina @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Next up is Giratina. Giratina plays a key role as the much needed spinblocker of this team. Keeping hazards on the opponent's side of the field is essential to this team's success, and Giratina helps immensely with that. It is usually disregarded in favour of Giratina-O, who boasts a much stronger Dragon Tail, a powerful Shadow Sneak to revenge Pokémon like Mewtwo and Deoxys-A, and has an immunity to Ground-type attacks and Trick; and Ghost Arceus, who has base 120 stats across the board and reliable recovery. With that in mind though, I think Giratina is the sturdiest of the available spinblockers, and doesn't have to worry about status nearly as much as the other Ghosts do.

The moveset is standard: Rest fully heals Giratina and Sleep Talk grants it an opportunity to damage even when sleeping. Will-o-Wisp cripples Steel- and Flying- type Pokémon who are immune to Toxic Spikes. This is especially helpful for taking down the popular Rapid Spinners in the Ubers metagame: Forretress, Excadrill and Tentacruel, who are all immune to Toxic Spikes. Finally, Dragon Tail provides this team some phazing, as a matter of fact, the only form of phazing on this team. It is a very useful move against set-up sweepers, forcing them out and punishing the switch-in with entry hazards. 4 Speed EVs again is speedcreep, outspeeding the standard Giratina who does not run any at all, thus letting me Dragon Tail first.

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Thunder

Even with Abomasnow being able to take Kyogre's attacks, I knew that I would need a back-up for it, so it makes sense that my next choice is a Choice Scarf Palkia. Palkia is quite possibly the best user of Choice Scarf thanks to its very important base 100 Speed, allowing it to outspeed Scarf Kyogre, Reshiram, Zekrom, and Rayquaza that has used Dragon Dance once. It is also capable of revenge killing Mewtwo, Darkrai and Shaymin-S who can all be annoying to this team.

Once again, this is just the standard Choice Scarf Palkia set. Draco Meteor is an insanely powerful attack letting me revenge kill Pokémon without much trouble. Surf is secondary STAB and is my only way of hitting Heatran without having to resort to a lot of phazing. Fire Blast roasts Steel-types, which is a big help against Ferrothorn and the like. Finally, Thunder smashes Kyogre, and once it is gone, I can keep Hail up for the rest of the game.

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SDef
- Recover
- Payback
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock

Last but definitely not least, Dark Arceus. When debating for a final Pokémon, I need something else that could take on the likes of Mewtwo, since if it gets a Calm Mind up, it needs to be damaged quite a bit before Palkia can KO it. I also needed something that can set up Stealth Rock. For those reasons, I chose a Specially Defensive Dark Arceus who is immune to Psystrike and can take even a boosted Aura Sphere. Dark Arceus is even a good switch-in to Giratina-O, being resistant to Shadow Sneak and more than capable of taking a Draco Meteor.

This is the Specially Defensive Dark Arceus seen on-site but only with Stealth Rock in the last slot since I couldn't find anywhere else to put it. After taking an attack from Mewtwo, Payback OHKOs it regardless of how many Calm Minds it gets. Flamethrower is another move to eliminate Steel-type Pokémon. Not many people expect Flamethrower on this set, so they carelessly bring in Forretress and Ferrothorn, only to take a very heavy chunk of damage. Finally, Recover gives Dark Arceus a reliable way to heal itself up.

Conclusion

Well that's my shot at Ubers Hail, it's not great, but it's not terrible. It's been an experience laddering with this team, giving me the opportunity to use new things. Thanks for taking the time to read this and happy rating!

One Final Look

Code:
Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers 
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
- Blizzard
- Substitute
- Wood Hammer
- Leech Seed

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
EVs: 208 HP / 220 Atk / 76 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Substitute

Giratina @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Thunder

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SDef
- Recover
- Payback
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is probably the best finale we could hope for the sequence of Weather in Ubers.

Sexy solid team Sam m8, well done bro!

good team I guess, but somehow I think you have trouble with CB/CS Terrakion, although they're a bit rare, but they can rape through your team if Giratina is weakened

but then again, why don't you name it Hail All (it makes sense)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saying, you're really weak to sun teams in general. Heatran completely wipes the floor with you, since Palkia can't really hurt it in the sun, and Ho-oh just ends up getting Toxic'd, Taunted, and then Roared out to 50% from SR. I've been using Water Arceus on my hail team and thought it was very useful:

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Recover
- Refresh

Refresh is there so you don't get raped by Toxic. It can switch into Heatran with impunity, and can also switch into Reshiram once or twice as well. This is pretty much your switch-in to Fire-types. As for Mewtwo, you have a few decent checks, such as Giratina (which I suggest putting some SpD EVs on to take Ice Beams and Kyogre a little better) and Scarf Palkia. As for Kyogre, Abomasnow can take ScarfOgre all day, and getting rid of the rain means you can just switch in Giratina. I'd also suggest Grass Knot > Wood Hammer and Protect > Sub on Abomasnow. Like I said, Kyogre isn't much of a threat to you, but Groudon and sun definitely is, and Grass Knot hits Groudon MUCH harder than Wood Hammer. As for Protect, it allows you to get an extra turn's Leftovers recovery, which increases your longetivity for switching into Kyogre.

Good luck with your team.

Just saying, you're really weak to sun teams in general. Heatran completely wipes the floor with you, since Palkia can't really hurt it in the sun, and Ho-oh just ends up getting Toxic'd, Taunted, and then Roared out to 50% from SR. I've been using Water Arceus on my hail team and thought it was very useful:

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Recover
- Refresh

Refresh is there so you don't get raped by Toxic. It can switch into Heatran with impunity, and can also switch into Reshiram once or twice as well. This is pretty much your switch-in to Fire-types. As for Mewtwo, you have a few decent checks, such as Giratina (which I suggest putting some SpD EVs on to take Ice Beams and Kyogre a little better) and Scarf Palkia. As for Kyogre, Abomasnow can take ScarfOgre all day, and getting rid of the rain means you can just switch in Giratina. I'd also suggest Grass Knot > Wood Hammer and Protect > Sub on Abomasnow. Like I said, Kyogre isn't much of a threat to you, but Groudon and sun definitely is, and Grass Knot hits Groudon MUCH harder than Wood Hammer. As for Protect, it allows you to get an extra turn's Leftovers recovery, which increases your longetivity for switching into Kyogre.

Good luck with your team.
Thanks for the rate. Water Arceus is an interesting suggestion, the only problem I see with it is that I'll be taking away SR from the team, and I'm not exactly sure how to remedy that problem, I'd rather have all three kinds of entry hazards and not stick it over Toxic on Forretress, since that will just make its job even harder to do. I do see where you are coming from with your other suggestions though, I'll change Abomasnow's set. How many SpD EVs did you have in mind for Giratina?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well the easiest place to stick SR on is obviously Forretress, although it you're going to have to remove either Toxic or one of the hazards. Another option is to just run a support Water Arceus with SR or something like that. As for Giratina, I personally don't know how much SpD to put on because I haven't run any calculations. However, this is purely optional, so I don't know. You can either 1) keep as is, 2) just change the nature to Careful while retaining your current EVs, 3) retain the nature but invest about half the EVs in SpD or 4) go all in SpD.

Well the easiest place to stick SR on is obviously Forretress, although it you're going to have to remove either Toxic or one of the hazards. Another option is to just run a support Water Arceus with SR or something like that. As for Giratina, I personally don't know how much SpD to put on because I haven't run any calculations. However, this is purely optional, so I don't know. You can either 1) keep as is, 2) just change the nature to Careful while retaining your current EVs, 3) retain the nature but invest about half the EVs in SpD or 4) go all in SpD.
Hm, I'll playtest both options. The Support Water Arceus is probably going to be the preferred option for me solely for the fact I don't have to change Forretress' set. Thanks again, shrang.

Be careful around Ho Oh. It can beat a sleeping Giratina, murder Forretress, crash into Abomasnow, pound both Dark arceus and Water Arceus, (the latter with some prior damage), and at least do decent damage to your Ho Oh.

I'm a new user, so excuse me if I am wrong.

Be careful around Ho Oh. It can beat a sleeping Giratina, murder Forretress, crash into Abomasnow, pound both Dark arceus and Water Arceus, (the latter with some prior damage), and at least do decent damage to your Ho Oh.

I'm a new user, so excuse me if I am wrong.
Well no you are not wrong. This team does have problems with subroost ho-oh. Giratina cannot tank it forever and will eventually die to a crit or something and remember that giratina gets no leftovers recovery in hail so it will most likely lost to it one-on-one. BTW i am talking from experience. Anyways every team has problems with ho-oh if stealth rock is not on the opponent's side of the field.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't really see what you guys are saying here. Giratina is probably the second best counter to Ho-oh (Rock Arceus being the first one), as with its enourmous HP and Defense, the ability to heal and cure a burn from Sacred Fire, and Pressure -- Ho-oh won't be doing much. As long as the opponent is not getting a crit, Ho-oh will not get past the Great Wall (fuck Lugia, this is Giratina's job). Water Arceus would also serve as a secondary check, as I suppose Brave Bird will do less than 50%, and Arceus can strike back with a super effective STAB Judgment.

So your point is not exactly correct, but I can see what influences your point of view. Welcome to Smogon!

I remember playing against you at least a couple of times. Didn't you have Tentacruel instead of Forry? I think it is a pretty good team, considering you are playing with Abomasnow. I was even planning to do a warstory on one of our matches, just to highlight your team. My question is how do you deal with hazards? Assuming they also have a good spin blocker or even worse, an offensive spin blocker (SD Ghostceus or CM Gira-O), I think your team is more susceptible to entry hazards than most average teams, don't you think?

@Furai: Without crits, analysis Ho-Oh 3HKOs the most defensive Gira-A. Meanwhile, Gira-A can't touch Ho-Oh unless it has Roar. The way I see it, Ho-Oh is a Gira-A counter, not the other way around. I am also talking base on experience, not just calcs and guesses. BB recoil doesn't kill Ho-Oh before he takes the wall down.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Fantastic team fiction, this is exactly the time of positive innovation that you want in a given metagame and the best part is that the team turned out successful as well. I know nothing about Ubers, but it's really a great team from what I've read, so I couldn't help but comment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)