Serious Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
Suicide is something that has become increasingly more common in our society today. It's something that has a special place in my heart because of past events in my life and how I've come to terms with them. I want this thread to be about any past experiences you've had with suicide or suicidal thoughts. For me personally it's something I need to share because I don't ever want to forget what I'm about to write. I really hope this doesnt come across as too preachy and I'm not asking for pity either.

Growing up following Christianity I never really understood death or what it meant for people. One of the earliest deaths I can remember happening to me was my friend Marcus (fake name for sake of anonymity). He was, I believe, a Freshman in highschool at the time of his death. I was maybe 4 at the time and I'd come to know him through his little sister who lived across the street from me. She was 2 years older than I was and we played like almost every day. I remember one day Marcus hit me with his bike and that's really the only memory I have other than the fact that I looked up to him immensely. I dont really remember hearing about him dying but I remember every time I went to visit my mother's grave at the cemetery I would always go visit Marcus's too. .

My mom had passed I think before Marcus did. I'm not entirely sure because that was 15 years ago. I do remember when my mom passed however because I was in the car accident that had caused it. We were hit by a drunk driver going the wrong way and I still have a scar on my forehead to this dead from busting my head on the seat in front of me. I remember during the funeral i was running around and playing with toys as happy as can be. I didnt understand what had happened and that didnt bother me because all I knew was that I forgave the driver and that I'd see her again sometime.

The first real death that I could comprehend was Steve Irwin's. I loved his show and I watched his first movie like every other day. Steve was my hero and nothing can/will ever change that. When he died I was in 1st grade and according to my dad I cried myself to sleep that night and than forgot about until the next day. When I woke the next day and remembered what had happened I cried again for like 3 hours. To this day this is the only death that I've actually truly lamented.

I never thought about suicide until the depression hit in middle school around 7th grade. I was a goofy kid and while I was physically fit I was considered weird at my school. I never had a girlfriend and I think that need of an emotional connection really weighed down on me. I remember I wrote a short story about a kid who sacrificed his life for his classmates for a writing assignment in the 8th grade. My parents were notified and I had to talk the school counselor over a silly little story. I had never seriously contemplated suicide I had just thought about it at that age. This was around the time I had learned that marcus had passed away from auto erotic asphyxiation.

My suicidal thoughts became heightened and more prevalent in Highschool. The stress of being a 3 sport athlete and staying on top of school really brought me to new lows. This really peaked when I was a junior and I was being verbally abused by my teammates. I had always thought of them as a family and when they had verbally abused me it brought be down. I never spoke up about it because I didnt want change the team dynamic. This made seriously consider suicide. I told myself that I needed to wait, at least until prom to see if things got any better. It turns out I had a shit ton of fun at prom and I ended up just telling myself to wait.

During my senior year everything had worse and I had begin to cut myself in order to relieve stress. I couldnt shower at the highschool anymore because I didnt want my friends/ teammates to see the marks I had made on my buttcheeks. They began to tease me about not showering too and it added on top of the weight on my shoulders. I still have scars from using a serrated knife in my kitchen. I had had 2 girlfriends at this point (one of which I was still seeing) and I had even lost my virginity but that had nothing to do with how fucking miserable I was. I was numb to everything and I convinced myself to just wait until after prom like i had done last year. Prom rolled around and i felt much better. I was done with wrestling and I was outside much more due to it being track season. I felt refreshed and happy again this didnt stop the suicidal thoughts however. I'd become desensitized at this point and I still thought about it usually everyday or too.

Now that I'm a sophomore in college suicide has been something that has remained on my mind Except it's not longer a legitimate thought. it's just something that crosses my mind every now and then and it reminds me of how I used to be. The thing that stops me from acknowledging the thought is everyone I've met and come to know thought my life. Such as family members, college friends, highschool friends, past hook ups, and even future relationships. I could never turn that thought into an idea because of these people and how they would feel if I had taken my life.

Finally, if you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts please let someone know. Whether it's your friend, a coworker, or even your pet, it can be helpful to talk about it.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
I have seriously contemplated suicide within the past year multiple times. Overall, this year has been incredibly awful for me to deal with, and it has sometimes felt like this was the only way to finally free myself---to finally rid myself of this burden that, frankly, has been keeping me down for several years of my life.

I guess what really set it off for me was when my most recent relationship started going south; we exchanged some fairly hostile texts between each other about how we weren't satisfied with our relationship, and for the ensuing four months shit was just... dead essentially. I could see how things were going to end for several months, but I still did whatever I could to try and salvage it all. But when all you're met with is constant neglect, it's awful. I mean, being told I didn't do enough to care about her issues/struggles (which was made impossible by her refusing to ever say anything about them...) while simultaneously being expected figure out everything I was dealing with on my own took a huge toll on me. It essentially confirmed to me she didn't really care about me at all at that point. Eventually, we separated, and regardless of all the awful signs it was a huge punch to the gut. For two or so months afterwards I was just fucking miserable. I felt like I had gone wrong somewhere and that it was my fault that we didn't see it through to the end. Couple this huge confidence hit with a previous history of depression and anxiety and you get a really terrible mixture of self doubt and worthlessness.

I can't claim to be in all that much better of a state now compared to then. I constantly remind myself that my friends want me to keep on going---that I'm only 20 and still have some of my best years ahead of me. Everyone has a breaking point though, and there are days where I'm not too sure if I've reached it or not.

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
I can't claim to be in all that much better of a state now compared to then. I constantly remind myself that my friends want me to keep on going---that I'm only 20 and still have some of my best years ahead of me.
As a 19 year old who's obsessed with bodybuilding I can tell you that these years are indeed the prime years. I've met so many people that I couldn't stand being sad to see me go. I've learned that even if you constantly feel like you have nothing to live for or something to that affect, there's always something or someone out there you will have a positive impact on. For this reason I always viewed suicide as such a selfish approach to life.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
For this reason I always viewed suicide as such a selfish approach to life.
I've seen this take a lot and feel it is part of the reason why mental health issues have such a terrible stigma surrounding them. By making the victim out to be the "bad guy", you end up with people concealing what they're going through for fear of being shamed by those close to them.

At the end of the day, everyone is a victim when it comes to dealing with something like suicide. On one hand, you have someone suffering to such an extent they'd rather end it all than continue going on. On the other hand, you have everyone close to them having to deal with the reality that a friend/relative needs severe help. It's awful, but I think the first step towards addressing the issue is destigmatizing it.

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
By making the victim out to be the "bad guy", you end up with people concealing what they're going through for fear of being shamed by those close to them.
It's awful, but I think the first step towards addressing the issue is destigmatizing it.
I can understand this and 100% agree with you. What I meant to say about Suicide is that for me personally it feels selfish. If I were to seriously go through with the act I would need to first cut ties with almost everyone I talk to.

I'm in a better state now than I was a few years ago but every once in a while those scary thoughts still come back.
I can say that if not for my friends and family, I'd probably be dead. When I was 17 my depression hit a peak. I was heartbroken by a girl I loved, and I felt unloved and unworthy to live around this time. I started to lose motivation to do schoolwork (As a result, I JUST BARELY passed Geometry after doing a shit on of makeup work within the last week of school), and I failed an online early college course because I stopped doing the work (It was not a difficult course but I just stopped doing it). I felt this way from March/April until the start of my senior year (September). My whole summer was miserable.
And quite honestly, I was miserable every year in high school. It just peaked during junior year. Senior year was better but was still largely unhappy. I got picked on a lot for being weird, and I felt like I didn't have any friends (Even if that was 100% false).
Being in college, and thus being away from high school, has been beneficial for my mental health even if I have had my own fears in regards to not being decisive on a major (I'm in my 2nd year and I've changed majors 3 times).
I never got to a point where I would cut myself let alone kill myself but the thoughts were very real and very scary. Around this time, I found out that my little sister (14 and in 8th grade at the time) was cutting and my heart shattered. That feeling prevented me from wanting to cut because 1) I didn't want my family to go through that pain again and 2) Even if I did, I wouldn't be able to hide it.
Also I lost a cousin to suicide when I was 13. I didn't know him very well because I was 13 and he was in his mid 20s but it broke me inside because I felt regret for not being close to him while he was still alive. Next month would mark 7 years without him and it still feels surreal because I remember going to his wedding when I was a little kid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)