SM OU [Hyper Offense?] I got fed up with Toxapex, now I need help with dragon-types ft. Kartana

The Team

Introduction:

I'm kind of new to Showdown, having played a bit way back in Gen 5 and early Gen 6, but never since. I initially built this team wanting to play around with Choice Scarf Kartana, having it as a late game cleaner in a team somewhat resembling hyper-offense.

The initial core consisted of Kartana + Bulu for obvious reasons + a Magnezone to remove bulky steel types that Kart struggles to break through, especially Ferrothorn, and I brought in a Mega TTar and Steelium Z Excadrill for more offensive power (the thought process was to lead with a Mega TTar and go into Excadrill to lure ground type EQs, then come in with Bulu). Greninja rounded out the roster as a fast revenge killer so I wouldn't have to constantly throw Kartana out to finish off Pokemon and as a Tapu killer.

I ended up swapping out the sand core because it was inconsistent and I couldn't seem to pilot it correctly, and I frequently struggled against opposing steel types and Landos. I threw in Char-Y, one of my favorite Pokemon, to add a special wallbreaker that outsped a good chunk of threats, and then tossed in Lando-T because I needed a lead and a ground type.

What I need help with:
  1. Z moves: I'm struggling to add a Z-move to this team + I don't really know where I'd fit it, but I'm open to swapping out Pokemon - the only non-negotiable mon is Kart (I love Char Y and Zone but I have other teams for them).
  2. This team is kind of weak to dragons: Lati twins are always giving me trouble with Gren as my only real counter, and the megas can take two or three Protean Ice Beams.
  3. Tips for how to use Bulu: Some games I do put some dents in the opposing team, but I often find myself sacking Bulu after one or two wood hammers because I don't really have another pivot.
  4. Good hazard removers? Do I need them? Most of this team doesn't take too much stealth rock damage except for Charizard who gets annihilated by it, so I didn't run too many hazard removers initially. How necessary are they?
  5. Suggestions for alternative/better mons: I don't find myself using Bulu, Greninja, or Lando-T all that effectively. Would there be better mons?
  6. General tips/suggestions
Sets:

Table:
schwip schwip (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Defog
The reason why I built this team; not much to say here, very standard Kart set. I run defog because no one else has it, but I honestly never find myself using it because I save Kartana to clean with, so I would appreciate some advice as to what to do/who could fill that slot.

chop chop (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 84 HP / 248 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
I paired this guy with Kart and went with a pretty normal set. Superpower doesn't get used too often, but Stone Edge hits a good chunk of the flying and fire types that like to switch into Bulu. This guy is my go to answer to almost all ground types and Grassy Terrain is really nice. Very rarely have I actually set up a Grassy Terrain Kart sweep though, which leads me to think Bulu might not be all that necessary.

zap zap (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
This is my answer to Ferro, Scizor, Celesteela. I'd tried running a substitute/leftovers set, but found myself missing the raw power of Specs, so I went back to Specs. Clears out water types as well, but that isn't as necessary with Bulu/Kart/Char Y, hahaha. Might be overkilling the waters a little bit. I just really hate Pex.

pew pew (Greninja) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
Here's my revenge killer. Gunk Shot hits all the Tapus and OHKO's a good majority of them, and the scarf + max speed investment means he outspeeds all of them except for Scarf Koko (but I only know one guy who runs that).

fwoosh fwoosh (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Focus Blast
Standard Char Y set. Special wallbreaking, counters weather teams, weak to stealth rock, what's not to love? I added him to deal with annoying bulky grass types and other Bulus, as well as being a surprisingly good answer to a lot of water mons by virtue of outspeeding + solar beam. He also can come in on Lando-T if I know they won't stone edge.

In addition, everyone expects Char X now so Char Y surprises a lot of people.

thwack thwack (Landorus-Therian) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Rock Tomb
There's nothing special about this guy, suicide lead set with a very surprisingly good attacking ability. Rock Tomb has actually been so useful for me when it cuts speed off mons that would otherwise outspeed my zard.

schwip schwip (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Defog

The reason why I built this team; not much to say here, very standard Kart set. I run defog because no one else has it, but I honestly never find myself using it because I save Kartana to clean with, so I would appreciate some advice as to what to do/who could fill that slot.

chop chop (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 84 HP / 248 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

I paired this guy with Kart and went with a pretty normal set. Superpower doesn't get used too often, but Stone Edge hits a good chunk of the flying and fire types that like to switch into Bulu. This guy is my go to answer to almost all ground types and Grassy Terrain is really nice. Very rarely have I actually set up a Grassy Terrain Kart sweep though, which leads me to think Bulu might not be all that necessary.

zap zap (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

This is my answer to Ferro, Scizor, Celesteela. I'd tried running a substitute/leftovers set, but found myself missing the raw power of Specs, so I went back to Specs. Clears out water types as well, but that isn't as necessary with Bulu/Kart/Char Y, hahaha. Might be overkilling the waters a little bit. I just really hate Pex.

pew pew (Greninja) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Here's my revenge killer. Gunk Shot hits all the Tapus and OHKO's a good majority of them, and the scarf + max speed investment means he outspeeds all of them except for Scarf Koko (but I only know one guy who runs that).

(jesus why is his sprite so massive)
fwoosh fwoosh (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Focus Blast

Standard Char Y set. Special wallbreaking, counters weather teams, weak to stealth rock, what's not to love? I added him to deal with annoying bulky grass types and other Bulus, as well as being a surprisingly good answer to a lot of water mons by virtue of outspeeding + solar beam. He also can come in on Lando-T if I know they won't stone edge.

In addition, everyone expects Char X now so Char Y surprises a lot of people.

thwack thwack (Landorus-Therian) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Rock Tomb

There's nothing special about this guy, suicide lead set with a very surprisingly good attacking ability. Rock Tomb has actually been so useful for me when it cuts speed off mons that would otherwise outspeed my zard.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Edit: Would Mega Altaria be good on this team in lieu of Char Y? I've tried it a few games and it seems a bit more consistent on getting in, but not as devastating when it does (although it breaks apart Char X teams pretty well, which I had trouble with previously). I definitely find myself missing Char Y's raw wallbreaking power, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)