Hyper-Offense in NU? (My first RMT :3)

Hi, this is my first time posting in RMT. My friend dared me the other night to try making a Hyper Offense team in NU, and, for the most part this was the result. I'd never actually played NU before this (or at least since the very beggining of BW), so I came into this knowing essentially nothing about the metagame except for what my friend had told me. I've been playing battles with it for a few days, and it's done fairly well for itself (18 wins - 8 Losses), so I decided to post it here to see what others think :3

Team Building
1.)

I chose Sawk mostly because my friend constantly complained about how commonly he saw it. I checked its stats and the like, and I decided to give it a go on my team.

2.)

Since I had a strong Physical Attacker in Sawk, I decided to use Jynx as a strong special attacker (once again, because my friend continually complained about Jynx in NU). I figured that they'd make a pretty good offense together.

3.)

I went with Rampardos for my next attacker because I used it a lot in Gen 4, and I figured that it would be even better now, especially with Sheer Force. I'm kinda surprised that there isn't a physical Sheer Force set on Smogon (instead a Special one of all things >.>), so I made one up and went with it.

4.)

I decided that even on a "Hyper Offense" team, I needed at least one purely support Pokemon, so I decided to use Lickilicky. It has an amazingly expansive movepool containing exactly what I wanted along with great defenses.

5.)

I picked Exeggutor for my fifth member because I needed something to deal with bulky water-types. Originally, I had a Choice Scarf Pinsir on my team, but the coverage it provided was menial and didn't do much against opposing Alomomolas (Alomomoli? Idk), so I switched it out for this. I guess having two psychics on a team is a bit redundant, but one has Psychic and the other Psyshock, so it's all good, I guess.

6.)

And finally, I round out my team with a stealth rock setter/remover. Originally, I had Eviolite Metang in his place, but the lack of rapid spin really took a toll on him. Armaldo's high attack also fits the team quite well.

Team Member Details:

Sesame(Sawk)@Choice Scarf
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spe
Jolly (+Spe, - SpA)
Mold Breaker
-Close Combat
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Stone Edge

Okay, so you're probably going to call me crazy for that EV spread, and you're probably right. However, Max HP has allowed it to survive tons of hits that otherwise, it probably would've died from, which has been extremely helpful. However, the lack of speed lets some pokes outspeed it, but the sheer utility of the HP has made it more than worthwhile. The movepool shouldn't require much explanation. Close Combat for STAB, Earthquake for coverage and power, Ice Punch for coverage, Stone Edge for, well, filler, honestly. Unless I'm stuck in against a bug like Pinsir, which would otherwise wall me hard.

NAZI!!(Jynx)@Choice Scarf
4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Dry Skin
-Ice Beam
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

A fairly standard Jynx. I prefer to run Shadow Ball as opposed to Trick or Lovely Kiss, as it gives unresisted coverage alongside Focus Blast. It also comes in handy on a multitude of occaisions, for example, against opposing Jynx. Dry Skin is there for the immunity to water (though sun teams wreck it, admittedly). Other than that, it's pretty standard. Oh, and the nickname is an inside joke between me and my friend. I'm thinking of changing it sometime.

Yoshisaurus(Rampardos)@Choice Scarf
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Sheer Force
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Zen Headbutt
-Fire Punch

Now here's a more interesting poke. Sheer Force on Rampardos is strong. That's just a fact. I made this set to capitalize on that fact. I chose Stone Edge over Head Smash because I didn't want to take 50% recoil every time (I prefer longevity over power). Crunch is a great coverage move (and is the only move on my team other than Shadow Ball that's super-effective against psychics and ghosts). Zen Headbutt, while it hasn't been overly useful (I don't think I've used it once :/) might come in handy in the future (or I may just replace it with Earthquake). Fire Punch is great against Grass-Types and the like.

Coconut Head(Exeggutor)@Leftovers
252 HP, 4 SpA, 252 Speed
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Chlorophyll
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Giga Drain
-Psyshock

You know, I really love SubSeeding. The act of sitting around while your opponent's HP slowly goes down while your own goes up and up and up just feels amazing. Leech Seed might be my favorite move of all time. I might change the nature to be Modest for more power. Even if I am resisted, a turn of Leftovers + Leech Seed + Giga Drain is usually enough to get me close to 25% of my HP back, so I can sub again if it gets broken. Psyshock is for everything that quad resists Giga Drain.

Lickipedia(Lickilicky)@Wide Lens
252 HP. 4 Atk, 252 SpD
Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
Own Tempo
-Wish
-Heal Bell
-Toxic
-Dragon Tail

Okay, so the first thing I bet you're wondering is, "Wide Lens? Why not Leftovers or any other better item?" Well, my friend, that answer goes back to the very first time I used this, where I missed Dragon Tail 5 times in a row.
5 FREAKING TIMES. After that, I decided that I didn't want to take the risk of that happening again (however little chance it had of happening), so I put Wide Lens on to give the 90% accuracy a little boost. Wish is there to support the team and for... semi-reliable healing. The reason I don't have Protect to accompany it is I would rather have the support of Heal Bell and Toxic. Heal Bell (along with all variations of it) is my second favorite move to use competitively. I don't even know why. Toxic is for general support, and Dragon Tail it for Phasing and for residual damage caused by the entry hazards of...

Hax Magnet :/(Armaldo)@Leftovers
252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 Def
Impish (+Def, -SpA)
Battle Armor
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-X-Scissor
-Stone Edge

Armaldo the Hax Magnet! *fanfare plays* He's my usual lead, and I just Stealth Rock first turn, followed by a Rapid Spin if my opponent uses an entry hazard. Since I had Lickilicky as a special wall, I have Armaldo as a physical wall. He's been titled my team's official Hax Magnet because he has a habit of always getting the shorter end of the stick, whether it be being fully paralyzed 4 turns in a row (each time trying to set up rocks and ending up being killed before I could) or missing Stone Edge thrice against a Volbeat. Otherwise, he's a really solid Pokemon for my team.

In Conclusion
I have to say that I'm pretty surprised my team does as well as it does, given how little I knew of the NU metagame when I made it. I can't think of any definite counters per say, but I must say that entry hazards are a bit of a nightmare for it. Bulky Waters like Alomomola also give me a lot of trouble for the most part, but other than that, it does quite fine. Please tell me what you think, and what I could do to improve it, as well as any counters that I may have missed out on listing. Thanks for reading!!~ :3

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
OK I'll be quick, your team needs a lot of fix:
  1. Change the set and EV spread of sawk, it does nothing good for your team. Instead, use an ev spread of 252 atk/4 def/252 spe with a Choice Band.
  2. Use Lovely Kiss over Shadow Ball. With BW mechanics, putting a Pokemon to sleep is pretty much an OHKO while Shadow Ball doesn't help Jynx much since Ice Beam still does decently against Musharna. You could also try Ice Beam/Psyshock/Energy Ball/Lovely Kiss if you really have a lot of trouble with bulky Waters. Finally, put those 4 HP evs in SpDef, as it will let you switch in 4 times instead of 3 if SR are up on your side.
  3. Since you seem to be trying to use an Hyper Offense team, I would change Exeggutor to a Choice Spec set (use the set on site) since it actually brring offensive power instead of stalling your opponent.
  4. Armaldo is really unnecessary. I would use Metang over it to help against opponent's Psychic-, Normal-, and Flying-types. Use the ev spread: 252 HP/176 atk/ 80 SpDef with Stealth Rock/Meteor Mash/Bullet Punch/Toxic. It will always win against Musharna ( unless your opponent run the rare HP Ground).
  5. I don't see the use of Rampardos in all honesty. Instead, I would try out Scolipede. Scolipede is amazing on a HO team since it can use Toxic Spikes or Spikes. It also help checking Sawk with its 4x resist to Fighting moves. Like for Exeggutor, I would search sets for Scolipede on site (offensive and bulky) and see which one you prefer.
  6. Finally, Lickylicky. I don't see what it brings to the table for the team and seriously, Wide Lens? I would try a bulky Eelektross with a spread of 240 HP/252 SpAtk/ 16 Spe to give your team a slow Volt Switch to bring Sawk or Jynx safely and it can help against a lot of bulky Pokemons. Eelektross also has a lot of other viable option in this slot, so I would go on site to check sets like Expert Belt or even Choice Band.
Sorry if I probably changed half of your team (or sounds rude), but like you said you lacked experience in NU which was show in your sets so I wanted to help you :).

EDIT: Realised after posting that the team would end up being weak to Charizard, which can only be revenge killed by Jynx or Scolipede. If it end up being an issue, I would try out Kangaskhan or Swords Dance Samurott (or probably Specially based Samurott with Aqua Jet on the 4th moveslot) over Eelektross.

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with most of Soulgazer 's changes, I feel they will suit your team a lot better. Banded Sawk is better than Scarf Sawk, it honestly just threatens far more teams in general. It can even serve as an anti-lead thanks to Mold Breaker, OHKOing most SR leads through Sturdy, relieving the need for a spinner. Lovely Kiss is an amazing move on Jynx, letting it disable a counter and threaten both offensive and defensive teams alike, I highly recommend you put that in place of Shadow Ball or Focus Blast. Exeggutor should probably be changed, however I suggest the LumRest set (read about that here if you wish), serving as an offensive pivot that can break down Alomomola and absorb status. Metang is infinitely better than Armaldo on your team, with its typing allowing you to counter several threats such as Musharna, Braviary, and opposing Jynx that would smash your team otherwise. It also learns Bullet Punch, which is quite useful as your team lacks priority. Scolipede is extremely useful on hyper offense as it sets up Spikes and Toxic Spikes, something almost required on HO nowadays. Replacing Rampardos with Scoli would be optimal as Rampardos really doesn't seem to serve any overall purpose on your team. Finally, Samurott is definitely nice for checking Charizard, but I suggest the Swords Dance set over the special one, which boasts a stronger Aqua Jet and gives your team a win condition (which is basically something that can boost offenses in order to sweep.)

Good luck.

Sawk: Choice Scarf --> Choice Band, EV spread --> 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jynx: either Shadow Ball or Focus Blast (up to you) --> Lovely Kiss

Exeggutor @ Lum Berry
Trait: Harvest
EVs: 248 HP / 176 SAtk / 84 Spd
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Psychic

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Toxic
- Bullet Punch

Scolipede @ Life Orb / Focus Sash (your choice)
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Razor Shell
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)