Inkay

Is Inkay the cutest, swaggest, most awesomenest new Pokemon?

• Yes.

Votes: 58 58.0%
  • Yes.

Votes: 42 42.0%

• Total voters
So I really quickly built a TERRIBLE Trick Room team after realizing Inkay could set the move up himself, and I led with Inkay in my first match. I 6-0d him. To be fair, this was not the most talented opponent (I was on an alt that had a rating of 1300 some), but I think Inkay is definitely viable. Especially considering he gets near-perfect coverage between Superpower and Night Slash. This leaves two slots open; one for Trick Room and another for super-effective coverage or utility. I haven't perused his movepool enough to suggest anything; I went with Psycho Cut to OHKO Croagunk while getting neutral hits on Fairy-types. I'm going to keep testing him, but if I had to take a guess I'd say Inkay is viable, both on dedicated TR teams and as a stand-alone Pokemon that uses Trick Room to support itself, but it's not a top-tier threat.

Eviolite Unaware Wooper counters it entirely. Superpower does about 18%, then you can go for a burn with Scald or a quicker kill with EQ, Recovering when you need to.

I personally baton pass speed with torchic to inkay and have substitute instead of trickroom. The set is:
Hulk (Inkay) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Level: 5
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 Def / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash
- Substitute
See my RMT for the full team, one of which (torchic) saves inkay from defeat.

Thats a nice set, but wouldn't you enjoy more bulk to make your subs last if torchic is speed passing.
True, but this guy is my sweeper. His job is to hit as hard and as quick as possible. Earlier I had hypnosis instead, because life orb and sub depletes HP fast. Plus, I am not sure how much speed torchic could cram into inkay.

+2 is generally what it can do, also running bj would be better then life orb imo as superpower + sub gives you many chances to get strong and bulky, and bj helps with sub and doesn't ruin your bulk as its stabs are still pretty weak so they won't be OHKOing walls.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
After using Inkay extensively, there are two roles I've found that personally suit Inkay the best, and unfortunately, Contrary Superpower is not one of these. The primary reason for this is that super-popular mons like Meditite, Swirlix, and Gligar resist it and also beat Inkay outright, preventing it from achieving the Contrary Superpower sweeps so many of us initially anticipated. It also doesn't help at all that Superpower is walled by Bug-types and their STAB attacks have a 4x type advantage against Inkay in return. Ouch. Anyway, let me get into what I've found to be the two best uses for Inkay in XY Little Cup:

Sweeper Stopper Inkay

Inkay @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Def / 236 Spd / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Switcheroo
- Topsy-Turvy
- Foul Play
- Destiny Bond

This set is equipped with just about every tool needed to stop setup sweepers from getting out of hand and developing into a crisis for the rest of its team. Choice Scarf allows Inkay more Speed to be able to better perform its role, and can be used in conjunction with Switcheroo to cripple the enemy, completely locking them up if they use a setup move on the turn Inkay forces an item swap, while also depriving them of their precious Berry Juice or Eviolite for Inkay's own use in the same turn. Topsy-Turvy, a move exclusive to Inkay and its evolution Malamar, greatly punishes any setup sweeper by converting all of their boosts to stat drops, and can quickly turn a formidable foe into a total weakling. STAB Foul Play is an alternative option for punishing physically inclined sweepers and also deals pretty good damage apart from that (142 Base Power move that is dependent on the target's Attack stat) and keeps Inkay from being Taunt bait. Destiny Bond is a last resort for bringing down a problematic foe, but if push comes to shove, it gets the job done. Not only does this set screw with setup sweepers that operate on their own, but it also throws a huge wrench in Baton Pass chains with Topsy-Turvy; there is no greater insult to Baton Pass chains than this move. The icing on the cake for this set is the ability Infiltrator, which allows Switcheroo and Topsy-Turvy to do their job even if the enemy sets up a Substitute in an attempt to block Inkay's status moves. Being able to lock a foe into Substitute after it puts one up is hilarious. EVs can be shifted around to give Inkay more special bulk, but the given spread gives Inkay 21 Speed with Choice Scarf so that it can outspeed the entire unboosted tier before giving it up. This set would be so much more awesome if Inkay had access to U-turn, but it unfortunately does not get it.

Baton Pass Anchor Inkay

Inkay @ Berry Juice
Ability: Suction Cups
EVs: 164 Atk / 140 SAtk / 76 Spd / 68 SDef / 12 Def / 12 HP
Bashful Nature
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash
- Return / Taunt
- Flamethrower

Yes, this set uses a flat nature that doesn't boost or decrease anything, while having an EV spread that provides all even numbers, because at the stage where it will be used, it will need to make the most of the boosts it gets passed, and it will likely need all of its stats to not be hindered by its own nature to achieve the highest efficiency. Psycho Cut and Night Slash are both attacks that Inkay gets STAB from, and also are both moves that score critical hits 100% of the time after Inkay is passed a Focus Energy boost; after receiving multiple boosts from the likes of Torchic, Mienfoo, and Mime Jr., Inkay will be hard to stop and no amount of defensive boosts or Screens will save the opposition. Flamethrower roasts the Steel-types that otherwise wall the set; Superpower is not used because it will take away the boosts that make it the only reason to use this set. Suction Cups keeps Inkay's boosts from being forcibly stripped from it by moves that force a switch, as well as Red Card. I have used Baton Pass extensively for several generations and I can say that it is awesome if you know what you're doing; for players who are new to this kind of team, it will take some getting used to for it to even make sense as a usable playstyle. This set can have trouble with Fairy-types, but +2 Psycho Cut easily OHKOs Swirlix on a critical hit, which is guaranteed if Focus Energy is part of the Baton Pass chain.

Inkay has some interesting things going for it, and it is not the best Pokemon competitively, but these sets are the absolute best uses I've found for it so far, if anyone would ever like to try it out. ♥

Sleepy Squidward

Inkay
@Eviolite
EVs: 28 HP / 252 def / 228 dp. def
Nature: Careful (+ sp. def, - sp. atk)
-Superpower
-Nigh Slash/Psycho Cut
-Rest
-Sleep Talk/Psycho Cut/Night Slash

Not only is Sleepy Squidward an amazing clarinet player, but it's also great in LC too. Contrary Superpower is epic beyond words getting a +1 in attack and defense and hitting big threats such as Pawniard hard. The other moves it can use Night Slash/Psycho Cut don't disappoint either. A great typing in LC and and reliable bulk lets Squidward easily set up then rest when it gets low. Sleep talk is an amazing move when Inkay is asleep but Psycho Cut or Night Slash work too for that spot.

Last edited:
Trick Room Set
Inkay @ Eviolite
EVs: 156 HP / 236 Atk / 116 SDef
Spd IVs: 0
Nature: Brave (+Atk, -Spd)
- Superpower
- Trick Room
- Night Slash
- Psycho Cut

This set focuses on Inkay's lack of speed. With the help of Trick Room, Inkay's the first one to move(unless you're against a Gyro Ball Ferroseed). A good 156 HP and 116 SDef EV distribution is enough to withstand some common attacks in LC just enough to set up a Trick Room.

Superpower's Attack and Defense boost helps Inkay to gain sweeping capabities plus giving itself a defensive bulk. Night Slash and Psycho Cut are both a reliable STAB moves for Inkay.

~Caitlyn ♥

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)