Introducing the OU (no Mega) Ladder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to come off as a dick or anything, but a lot of your post is just wrong.

Scarfed Modest Latios isn't a great set at all, you want to keep Timid so you can outspeed stuff like ZardX at +1 or Scarfed Keldeo, and LO hits harder anyway
Sableye can't stop Landorus because it gets destroyed by an Earth Power, and it can't Mega Evo because it's the no mega ladder.
Xatu just sucks and it just gets hit by Knock Off, HP Ice or Rock Slide. I don't even think it can take Sludge Waves very well
I don't see what your magmortar comparison is supposed to mean, it doesn't have a great defensive typing, it's weak to SR, it doesn't have Sheer Force, it's kinda slow, it can't boost or anything.
Abomasnow is not a counter at all, a counter needs to be able to switch into it's most powerful coverage move and then force it out. Abomasnow isn't switching into Sludge Wave and nothing stops Lando from coming back in
Haunter already mentioned that there will be no suspect tests for this meta, but just bans.
You don't need to outspeed ZardX because it doesn't exist in a non-mega OU.

Not saying Scarf Modest is good or anything, but just wanted to point that out.

I am somewhat constantly high on the ladder and barely see other players using lando-i and if they do, he rarely is a problem, so i wonder if the pro landorus ban people actually play the ladder.
well usage never an arguement of brokeness also do you tend to play offense or defensive teams as it really only bothers bulkier teams.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
I actually think Landorus is less threatening than on the regular ladder even though the metagame lost a few good switchins in Mega Latias and Mega Charizard Y. Yeah sure balanced teams struggle with it (especially because the AoA set is by far the most common on the ladder) but they don't have bigger issues with it than on the regular ladder for a few reasons. The obvious one is of course that you don't have to prepare for the megas, leaving you more room for finding a Landorus switchin / revengekiller. Pokemon such as Gyarados, Dragonite and Mamoswine are a few examples of pokemon that have increased in splashability on this ladder as they don't struggle with megas that much while being excellent Landorus checks.
What did (semi-) stall even lose as Landorus checks besides Mega Latias? (which is not even that common btw) They still have access to SpD Gyarados, Mandibuzz, Chansey, Tornadus-T and Talonflame to name a few very good checks. I am not saying Landorus shouldn't be banned, neither am I saying that Landorus should be banned, but it is definitely not as good as on the regular ladder from my experiences both battling against and battling with it. I think Azumarill is a bigger threat than Landorus currently is for obvious reasons (better matchup vs. offense, lost many checks, checks some top tier threats and knock off)

SketchUp hit the nail on the head from my perspective. The single biggest reason Lando is even an issue is the mind-boggling amount of threats there are to prepare for nowadays (and to an related extent the lack of the ball and chain that is the Mega stone). Less threats = less teamslots spent on individual threats = more slots for existing threats. You can afford to carry two complementary checks to Landrous so much easier than you can in regular OU. Heck, extending beyond that, even if you lose a Lando check guessing the wrong coverage there's less threats to take advantage of that (random example, you lose SDef Skarm to Focus Blast Lando, there's no Mega Gard ready to trainwreck you). It's not exactly as simple as Lando lost checks or counters so instantly it's a bigger issue than in regular OU.

Id like to get into the OU NO Mega ladder, as from what I hear its a healthier metagame where team matchup isnt as much an issue. However, I absolutely suck at building teams. Would anyone who's done well on this ladder mind dropping a few teams to use? Thanks for your time :)

A MEGA-less tier, eh?

I think it might be very interesting, since Weather has been nerfed, and steel got rebooted.

any word on who some top dogs in this ruleset are?

p2

Banned deucer.
Id like to get into the OU NO Mega ladder, as from what I hear its a healthier metagame where team matchup isnt as much an issue. However, I absolutely suck at building teams. Would anyone who's done well on this ladder mind dropping a few teams to use? Thanks for your time :)
Here's one I'm testing right now, the Alakazam weakness is huge, so I need to patch that up

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

A MEGA-less tier, eh?

I think it might be very interesting, since Weather has been nerfed, and steel got rebooted.

any word on who some top dogs in this ruleset are?
There's a viability thread here

Last edited:
How have you all found Hoopa-U to preform on this ladder? I was messing around with AV for a while and it takes special hits like a champ (also murders a lot of slower teams), but from what I've seen Scarf Physical seems to be the most common set out there. Getting it in is kind of hard with how vulnerable it is to all sorts of residual damage (not to mention moderately slow, so VS offense its not all that great), but nothing bar really bulky resists seem to want to come in directly more than once or twice (170/160 attacking stats is insane), and its got coverage (and versatility) for days which can let it surprise your opponent. Granted, 60 Defense is awful and its typing isn't doing it many favors in that regard, not to mention 80 speed isn't all that fast. Best comparison I can think of is a weird mix of Greninja and Kyu-B (Power+Versatility with reasonable bulk but middling speed).

I found it not as WOW as expect... Kind of like... good wallbreaker but not that fantastic. The bulk and speed is kinda bad even here.

Also in this ladder, IMO, knock-off is a go-to stab. The extra power of hyperspace fury is minimal when compare to the normal OU when there is no mega on the sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)