Media itt: movie/film discussion - Beware Spoilers

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OK sorry for the double post but this deserves a post dedicated to itself. I am gonna play the Oscar game and predict the 7 main categories. Tell me what you think.

Best supporting Actress
1. Amy Adams (American Hustle)
2. Carrey Mulligan (Inside Llewyn Davis)
3. Julia Roberts (August: Osage County)
4. Lupita Nyeung'O (12 Years a Slave)
5. Sallly Hawkins (Blue Jasmine)

Best supporting actor:
1. Javier Bardem (The Counseler)
2. Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
3. Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
4. Matt Damon (Monuments Men)
5. Sam Rockwell (The Way, Way Back)

Best Actress:
1. Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
2. Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)
3. Emma Thomspon (Saving Mr. Banks)
4. Kate Winslet (Labor Day)
5. Berence Bojo (The Past)

Best Actor:
1. Bruce Dern (Nebraska)
2. Leonardo DiCaprio (Wolf of Wall Street)
3. Robert Redford (All is Lost)
4. Christian Bale (American Hustle)
5. Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Adapted Screeplay:
1. Terrence Winter (Wolf of Wall Street)
2. Goerge Clooney and Grant Heslov (Monuments Men)
3. Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke, and Richard Linklater (Before Midnight)
4. Tracy Letts (August: Osage County)
5. Steve Conrad (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty)

Best Original Screenplay:
1. Joel and Ethan Coel (Inside Llewyn Davis)
2.David O. Russel and Eric Singer (American Hustle)
3. Asghar Farhadi (The Past)
4. Spike Jonze (Her)
5. Ryan Coogler (Fruitvale Station)

Best Director:
1. David O. Russel (American Hustle)
2. Martin Scorsese (The Wolf of Wall Street)
3. George Clooney (Monuments Men)
4. J.C. Chandor (All is Lost)
5. Ben Stiller (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty)

and I'll just repete my Best Pic:
1. American Hustle
2. All is Lost
3. Wolf of Wall Street
4. Monuments Men
5. Inside Llewyn Davis
6. 12 Years a Slave
7. The Past
8. Lee Daniel's The Butler
9. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
possible 10. Before Midnight

This is just early speculation so this is gonna take on massive changes in the next few months.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
We're not even out of the summer yet, why are you making oscar predictions? Oscar season is November-December.

My question to you is, most can't take Ben seriously,
Who?

A lot of people liked him as a director even before Argo. Argo sealed the deal.

black swan was A+++++++ would highly recommend if anyone has not seen it yet

also recently watched up in the air, which was top-notch as well

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Jebus McAzn, you being asian, liking league, and being on Smogon, I will take a guess you might like Anime? Whether you like anime or not, check out the movie Perfect Blue, it's pretty much the animated Black Swan, just mind blowing, but ofc it was 10 years earlier iirc.

I am much more of a manga person myself. The only anime I've watched are FMA:B and Attack on Titan, although I'm not sure if Miyazaki counts in this discussion.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just got back from seeing elysium.

Wow, I was blown away. Neill Blomkamp had a huge success already with District 9, a philisophical and sociological sci-fi thriller that really made you think when you watched it. Elysium borrows some of that political mirroring but replaces a lot of it with some brilliant action scenes. The level of immersion that all the actors exhibit in this film is amazing; Matt Damon and the rest of the crew are brilliant. I don't really get the hate on Jodie Foster; her character is supposed to be terrible and have zero personality, she pulled it off well? The visuals are amazing, the morality is amazing, the entire presentation is just stunning. Seeing Sharlto Copley return from district 9 to play the hard south african villain was awesome, and there's so many little things that were put into the design of the worlds to make them truly incredible. Blomkamp isn't afraid to use violence or extremely obvious political undertones to make a good film. There's a lot of people exploding into several pieces, but each one just enforces how seriously Blomkamp is treating the filmmaking business. Not seeing District 9 is a shame, not seeing this in my mind is a crime. Easy 9.5/10 for me, with time I may call this 10/10.

For some reason, conservatives really hate this film already. Apparently, Rush Limbaugh has called it out for its "liberal agenda" of trying to get people to sympathize with illegal aliens? Clearly the entire film was made to brainwash americans into opening the mexican border. District 9 mirrors apartheid, Elysium mirrors current illegal immigration. This political statement has nothing to do with the quality of the film and is no reason to judge it for the director's vision.

Last edited:

Mack the Knife

Just got back from seeing elysium.

For some reason, conservatives really hate this film already. Apparently, Rush Limbaugh has called it out for its "liberal agenda" of trying to get people to sympathize with illegal aliens? Clearly the entire film was made to brainwash americans into opening the mexican border. District 9 mirrors apartheid, Elysium mirrors current illegal immigration. This political statement has nothing to do with the quality of the film and is no reason to judge it for the director's vision.
As a conservative, I really don't care if I disagree with the the films "agendas". As long as it's well made I don't really care. There is one exception, however. Michael Moore's documentaries are well made, but they aren't really documentaries. They're a one sided view on politics. Also, he's infamous for editing the films in such a way that portray people in a different light, ie when he was asking politicians "Would you let your sons or daughters go to war", the last politician was shown just looking away in the film, while in reality he looked away for only a brief second and turned back and said "My son is in Iraq". Michael Moore didn't like that, so he made it seem like the man didn't care. See, to me he is a liar, which a documentarian should never do. Also, he ambushed an old man with Alzheimers (Charlton Heston) and forced him into an interview, which is just a terrible thing to do.

Reactions: v

Mack the Knife

Review of Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
While it wasn't as good as some of the truly great episodes (Manos The Hand of Fate, Puma Man) it was still pretty funny in its own right. It's odd how it is shorter than a regular episode, and at the end I was left wanting a little more. But when it's funny, boy is it funny. As usual my favorite character was Tom Servo, who always has the funniest lines. So it may be flawed, but it's still pretty hilarious.
Grade: B

Saw The Imposter. Twas a gripping, beautifully-edited documentary which gave me so many emotions (anger, sadness, confusion, to name a few). This is a must-watch, really, really good.

9.5/10

Mack the Knife

Review: The Way, Way Back
This movie was funny, sad, and uplifting. That makes it sound like a very cliched movie, but in fact the film handles it all so well if feels fresh and natural. The story follows a young boy (Liam James) who while trying to get away from his Mom's (Toni Collette) boyfriend(Steve Carell) during vacation. He finds a water park, which is one of the few places he feels happy and comforted by everyone their, including Sam Rockwell in performance that I hope to dear God is nominated for an Oscar. The film really showed you why he disliked Trent (the boyfriend of his Mom) and started disliking his Mom in a very natural way. All I can say is that I'm greatly looking forward to Jim Rash and Nat Faxon's next feature film.
Grade: A

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Yeah I remember when Heath Ledger was a laughably awful actor who only got roles because he was extremely white and pretty, he's much better off directing movies now.

Oh wait no he's a dead method actor and Ben Affleck is still awful. The guy won three golden raspberries in a row. He shouldn't be starring in anything unless he's also directing it, and he's not directing the Batman Superman movie so.

Last edited:

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm pretty particular about Asian cinema as a whole, however the movie Secret (2007) staring Jay Chou (who also directed it), is one of the best films I have seen in a long time that I had found on my own. I rated it a 4.5/5 stars and it's a perfect blend of romance, a LOT of mystery which makes it just incredibly good, and most of all, the score. It's set in a school setting at a prestigious music institute. A guy hear's a mysterious song he's never heard of it leads him to a girl who he then gets to know. It's on Netflix, please, I encourage you all to watch it.

I was previously a huge fan of the film Evil and had been looking for a film in a school like setting to give me more satisfaction and this one definitely did.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
leonardo dicaprio will never win an oscar because he always just plays himself playing a role

Mack the Knife

leonardo dicaprio will never win an oscar because he always just plays himself playing a role
I'm sorry, but that phrase really annoys me. Have you ever tried to play yourself? It's pretty difficult

EDIT: If you were making a joke I apologize, but that phase is a pet peeve of mine.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
No, I agree with Mack. Lots of great actors give the same performance every time. Hell, Christoph Waltz already won an Oscar for giving the same performance in two separate Tarantino movies, and that's pretty impressive given that he was the villain in one and hero in the other.

On the other hand, Dicraprio might never win an Oscar because all he ever does is raise his voice.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
About Elysium

Mediocre at best movie, with its visual effects being the only thing that catches your attention. Inexistent plot and weak characters didn't help the movie at all, with bad guys such as Jodie Foster and the guy from District 9 not making you give a fuck about them. Finally, even though the visual effects are good, the action itself is disappointing for such an action promising theme. All we saw was a few auto-targets missiles and shots, with hardly any actions being taken by Mat Damon to make you consider him as something special...

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
About Elysium

Mediocre at best movie, with its visual effects being the only thing that catches your attention. Inexistent plot and weak characters didn't help the movie at all, with bad guys such as Jodie Foster and the guy from District 9 not making you give a fuck about them. Finally, even though the visual effects are good, the action itself is disappointing for such an action promising theme. All we saw was a few auto-targets missiles and shots, with hardly any actions being taken by Mat Damon to make you consider him as something special...
Yeah I definitely overrated elysium at first. Still, are you saying sharlto was forgettable or something? He had to be the best part of the film.

Mack the Knife

Hey guys time for another Oscar Update!

Best Supporting Actress
1. Oprah Winfrey (Lee Daniels' The Butler)
2. Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)
3. Carey Mulligan (Inside Llewyn Davis)
4. Lupita Nyeung'O (12 Years a Slave)
5. Cameron Diaz (The Counselor)

Best Supporting Actor

1. Tom Hanks (Saving Mr. Banks)
2. Javier Bardem (The Counselor)
3. Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)
4. Mark Ruffalo (Foxcatcher)
5. Jake Gyllenhaal (Prisoners)

Best Actress

1. Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
2. Amy Adams (American Hustle)
3. Emma Thompson (Saving Mr. Banks)
4. Berence Bojo (The Past)
5. Sandra Bullock (Gravity)

Best Actor

1. Bruce Dern (Nebraska)
2. Leonardo Dicaprio (Wolf of Wall Street)
3. Matthew McConuaghey (Dallas Buyers Club)
4. Robert Redford (All is Lost)
5. Chiwetal Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)

Best Original Screenplay

1. Joel and Ethan Coen (Inside Llewyn Davis)
2. David O. Russel and Eric singer (American Hustle)
3. Spike Jonze (Her)
4. Alfonso and Jonas Cuaron (Gravity)
5. Cormac McCarthy (The Counseler)

Best Adapted Screenplay

1. John Ridley (12 Years a Slave)
2. Terrence Winter (Wolf of Wall Street)
3. Tracy Letts (August: Osage County)
4. Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke & Richard Linklater (Before Midnight)
5. George Clooney and Grant Heslov (Monuments Men)

Best Director

1. Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity)
2. Steve Mcqueen (12 Years a Slave)
3. Martin Scorcese (Wolf of Wall Street)
4. J.C. Chandor (All is Lost)
5. Ben Stiller (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty)

Best Picture

1. 12 Years a Slave
2. Inside Llewyn Davis
3. Gravity
4. Wolf of Wall Street
5. American Hustle
6. Saving Mr. Banks
7. Monuments Men
8. All is Lost
9. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Telluride Film Festival had a massive effect on this list, with the massive buzz for 12 Years a Slave and Gravity (Plus good buzz for Prisoners). With TIFF and the New York Film festival coming this list will see even more massive changes by the next update!

Last edited:

Mack the Knife

K guys, the main part off the Toronto International Film Festival is over (all that's left are re-screenings, horror movies, and sci fi movies). Now, I am impatient, and TIFF is over, so this is a perfect time for predictions!

Best Supporting Actress:
1. Oprah Winfrey (Lee Daniels' The Butler)
2. Lupita Nyong'o (Twelve Years a Slave)
3. Margo Martindale (August: Osage County)
4. Melissa Leo (Prisoners)
5. Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)

Best Supporting Actor:
1. Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
2. Mark Ruffalo (Foxcatcher)
3. Daniel Bruhl (Rush)
4. Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street)
5. James Gandolfini (Enough Said)

Best Actress:
1. Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)*
2. Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
3. Judi Dench (Philomena)
4. Amy Adams (American Hustle)
5. Sandra Bullock (Gravity)

Best Actor:
1. Chiwetal Ejiofer (12 Years a Slave)
2. Robert Redford (All is Lost)
3. Tom Hanks (Captain Philips)
4. Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)
5. Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Adapted Screenplay:
1. John Ridley (12 Years a Slave)
2. Julie Deply, Ethan Hawke, and Richard Linklater (Before Midnight)
3. George Clooney and Grant Heslov (Monuments Men)
4. Terrence Winter (The Wolf of Wall Street)
5. Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope (Philomena)

Best Original Screenplay
1. Joel and Ethan Coen (Inside Llewyn Davies)
2. David O. Russel and Eric Singer (American Hustle)
3. Spike Jonze (Her)
4. Peter Morgan (Rush)
5. Woody Allen (Blue Jasmine)

Best Director
1. Alfonse Cuaron (Gravity)
2. Steve Mcqueen (12 Years a Slave)
3. Paul Greengrass (Captain Philips)
4. Martin Scorcese (Wolf of Wall Street)
5. David O. Russel (American Hustle)

Best Picture
1. 12 Years a Slave
2. Gravity
3. Inside Llewyn Davies
4. Wolf of Wall Street
5. American Hustle
6. Monuments Men
7. Rush
8. Captain Philips
9. August: Osage County

*Yes, Meryl went back to Best Actress campaign.

Last edited:

A film I'm excited for is The Double, Richard Ayoade's second film. The trailer doesn't reveal much, if anything at all, which is a good thing! Ayoade's first film as a director was Submarine, which I loved to bits, so I have high hopes for this film.

Robocop looks to be a crummy remake; probably the Total Recall (2012) of 2013.

The first trailer for Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom didn't really excite me and I started thinking to myself that they may have put in a little too much action over sentimentality, but the second trailer has me pumped for the film.

The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet could be an underrated hit. Looks like a good film, I look forward to watching it!

Kill Your Darlings actually looks fantastic. From the way the trailer is presented, it looks like it captures the era perfectly. I'm more interested in Dane DeHaan's performance than Daniel Radcliffe's.

I'm now really hyped for Inside Llewyn Davis, as well as Gravity. Both look stunning

Mack the Knife Good list, although I think Benedict Cumberbatch may be worth a place in your "Best Actor" list for his role in The Fifth Estate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)