Lapras Discussion

HP:130
Attack:85
Defense: 80
Special Attack:85
Special Defense:95
Speed:60

Lapras, Is another pokemon I am surprised is in RU. It is just not the same since last Gen. Lapras has access to the BoltBeam Combo and has access to Dragon Dance.​

Here is the Dragon Dance Set for Lapras

Lapras@Life Orb
Hydration/ Water Absorb
Jolly/ Adamant
252 Atk/80 SpD/176 Spe

-Dragon Dance
-Water Fall
- Ice Shard
- Return/ Rest

- Access to Dragon Dance one of the beat boosting moves around
- After 1 or 2 Lapras can tear teams apart
- Great Late Game Sweeper
- Can take advantage of either of its ability.

BoltBeam Set

Lapras@LeftOvers
252 HP/ SpeAtk/ 4 Spe
Modest
Water Absorb

-Surf/ Hydro Pump
- ThunderBolt
- Ice Beam
- Substitute/ Heal Bell/ Toxic

- Bolt Beam Combo, has great coverage
- Bulky enough to survive most non-boosted neutral damage attacks.
- Self Explanatory set
- Heal Bell can be used to cleric the team out of Nasty stautus conditions common in RU
- Toxic can be used to wear down teams
- Substituting is used for stalling.

Counters:
Lapras has quite a bit of counters. Anything with thunderbolt can KO it with ease. Porygon-Z is an instant counter of Lapras. Fighting types like Machoke, Hipmonlee, and Himoncham can make quick work of it.
Stealth Rocks can dent in on the switch, so make sure to have a Rapid Spinner Present.

So what do you think of Lapras's place in RU?

I think that thing can also viably run a Curse set, especially with that huge HP, great Sp. Defense, and Ice Shard's priority ignoring the Speed drops (except against other priority).

Of course, nasty weaknesses to Fighting, (Stealth) Rock, Grass, and Electric tend to spell doom for the thing.

Oh, yeah, here's dat Curse set.

Careful / Leftovers / Hydration
- Waterfall
- Ice Shard
- Curse
- Rest
252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Sp. Defense

Wait, why are we saying Hydration should be the ability? Its official page only says use Hydration > Water Absorb in OU with Politoed (if you don't beleive me, go to the page. It uses pokes like Gyarados and Rotom-W as examples of what it can and can't do). Since Rain stall isn't very good with only 8 turns to do it with, don't run Hydration unless you're setting Rain up yourself. And why do you note that it has access to BoltBeam as a reason to use it, then not list a set? This would fit it though:

Lapras @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Modest
252 HP/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 4 Speed
-Surf/ Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Heal Bell/ Substitute/ Toxic

Has anyone tried Battle Armor on the Curse set? Without any crits to bust through the curses, Lappy would be pretty tough to bust

Lapras @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Modest
252 HP/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 4 Speed
-Surf/ Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Heal Bell/ Substitute/ Toxic
That is my favorite Lapras set. Curse is pretty meh and DD is just outclassed by Feraligatr for the most part. This lapras is actually a good tank and can do quite a bit of damage.

But honestly, Lapras isn't that amazing. It deserves it's place in RU/NU, not any higher. (Unless rain was in UU.)

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, I think Shell Armor is the best ability to run on a curse set. I have never run the one suggested, and haven't really used it at all in RU yet, but in OU, I had great success with a set of:

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
Curse
Rest
Sleep Talk
Ice Shard
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpD

While Bulky Pokemon with resistance and recovery can ruin your fun, all others are ruined by this set once it gets a few curses in. Makes a great final Pokemon as without the ability to phaze it or crit it, it is ridiculously hard to break. You could go with Avalance or Waterfall over Ice Shard to get the power needed to break opposing resisting walls, but the pp of Ice Shard, and its priority is favorable.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually, I think Shell Armor is the best ability to run on a curse set. I have never run the one suggested, and haven't really used it at all in RU yet, but in OU, I had great success with a set of:

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
Curse
Rest
Sleep Talk
Ice Shard
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpD

While Bulky Pokemon with resistance and recovery can ruin your fun, all others are ruined by this set once it gets a few curses in. Makes a great final Pokemon as without the ability to phaze it or crit it, it is ridiculously hard to break. You could go with Avalance or Waterfall over Ice Shard to get the power needed to break opposing resisting walls, but the pp of Ice Shard, and its priority is favorable.
This is the best set to use if lapras isn't in rain. but i think lapras should be used in rain all the time

Edit: better to use waterfall over sleep talk

has anyone used lapras in hail? just wondering since it gets nice blizzbeam coverage...
No point, Lapras is too slow and his special attack is not that great. Rotom freeze form is better because it's faster, has a better special attack and STAB thunderbolt.

Whirlpool trapper

What's the accuracy boosting thing focus lens or something?
Hydro pump
Thunder
Blizzard
Filler
And the accuracy booster

Lapras is without a doubt my favourite Pokemon in the history of the games. And with it's DW ability has a perfect niche on rain teams. Putting Rest on any Hydration set provides Lapras with a 1 turn resurrection. Ice Shard, Surf, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are all viable attacking options. But I've never encountered Nessie on a hail team...

And with it's DW ability has a perfect niche on rain teams.
Not true. With only 8 turns of Rain, you're going to want to use those turns as offensively as possible, as you may not be able to get it back up after its gone. It's pretty much a waste of a precious turn to Rest up, and once the Rain is gone you practically only have 3 moves left.

Not true. With only 8 turns of Rain, you're going to want to use those turns as offensively as possible, as you may not be able to get it back up after its gone. It's pretty much a waste of a precious turn to Rest up, and once the Rain is gone you practically only have 3 moves left.
Well that set is meant for OU because there you have access to Politoed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)