ORAS OU Last Name Swine, First Name Mamo

Working Title: Gengar is more annoying than Whimsicott and Shedninja combined

Introduction

Hello Smogon! I've been disconnected from the forums for awhile. Haven't done an RMT in over 2 years, but I've been playing on the OU ladder consistently, and about a month ago I put this team together. Right now I'm sitting at 1637 on the OU ladder, which is quite good compared to where I normally line up, though I am winning most of my games, so I'm hoping to make it to 1800 :) The team was started using my favorite pokemon, Gengar, and used my a set similar to my favorite Gengar set from BW.

The Team

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 144 HP / 108 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Hex
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Okay I'll admit, Gengar is not more annoying than Whimsicott and Shedninja combined, nor is it more annoying than one of those pokemon by itself. However, because the Life Orb or Focus Sash sets are more expected, opponents are known to DQ once they see a sub and black sludge facing their Amoongus. Not only do I love playing this set, I knew my team was going to be highly offensive, so I wanted to use this set to break stall. It 1v1s common walls such as Chansey, Skarmory, Mega-Venusaur, Amoogus, Gliscor, and Ferrothorn. Usually pokemon such as these will switch out on a substitute, and that can allow me to get a Will-O-Wisp on scarfed offensive pokemon such as Landorus-T and Excadrill. Hex is there to abuse burn spreading as well as Thunder Wave from Ferrothorn, which often can paralyze an incoming Heatran, and it turn will let Gengar come in and kill it with a substitute.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Mamoswine is this team's dedicated lead. Other than a few Fake Out users such as Sableye, Lopunny, or Medicham, Mamoswine is pretty much guaranteed to get rocks up. I'm using Oblivious over Thick Fat because Mamoswine exists to get up stealth rocks, and possibly to be used later in the game to fire off some ice shards. Oblivous allows it to get rocks up against taunt leads like Azelf and Mew (who often use taunt thinking I am Thick Fat), and 2HKOs tank Garchomp. At first I used an adamant Mamoswine, but it seemed I was getting outsped more than I would like. Running jolly means I can always hit Heatran and Bisharp.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod / Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Voltswitch

Mega-Manectric is an absolute monster. Thunderbolt is a most capable of late game clean up, and benefits with the help of Stealth Rocks and Spikes. HP Ice allows it to hit things like Garchomp, Lando, and Dragonite. I chose Overheat over flamethrower to hit Excadrill on the switch in. One of the first things I look for is how to eliminate electric immunities. Once that is gone, I typically prioritize keeping manectric healthy because volt switch has the ability to completely dismantle teams.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin

Starmie is there for hazard removal. Because this team utilizes spike stacking, I did not want to use defog. The power of life orb + analytic (especially with hydro pump) is borderline absurd at times. The special power behind Manectric and Starmie together often allow one to beat the opposing team hard enough so that the other can clean up. I'm not completely sure if I have the best moveset. Ice Beam does come in handy enough to the point where I'm not sure it Thunderbolt is more worthwhile or not. Hydro Pump does 50% to Sableye and Psyshock does almost 50% to Chansey once knocked off - very important damage as Mega Sableye is only beaten by Azumarill. Maybe I could even run reflect type to beat an incoming Weavile or Scarf TTar?

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Nature: Relaxed
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed

The. Yellow. Color. My only complaint is I can't have two of these. Ferrothorn is here to throw down as many spikes as possible, a very important role, as Manectric and Starmie need prior damage to get non-supereffective KOs. Thunder Wave isn't always ran on Ferrothorn, but it meshes really well with Gengar and Azumarill - it allows Gengar to get up a sub + possible KO and gives Azumarill an easier time getting a Belly Drum off or a KO on something that could typically outspeed and KO it first, such as Volcanion and Serperior. Tornadus-T is also a problem to this team, and unfortunately, paralyzing it with Ferrorthorn is one of the only ways to deal with it unless Manectric is already in mega form. This means I either have to catch it on the switch in, or stay in and accept a Hurricane. Heat Wave obviously knocks me out, but sometimes you have to take the risk that they will predict you to switch out.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Set-up sweeper and priority mon because Mamoswine usually dies early game. Choosing Superpower over Knock Off means Amoongus can pretty much always switch in, provided I'm not +6, and it will even survive a +6 Play Rough if it is at full. However, considering my fire moves are limited to Overheat, I wanted a way to blow back Ferrothorn as well as the occasional Blissey. I don't find myself missing Knock Off too much. Azumarill is often this team's win condition, using Mega-Manectric to kill checks with faster priority such as Talonflame and Dragonite. It also needs Fake Out Lopunny gone, which luckily doesn't take too kindly to a high amount of hazards and Ferrothorn damage. Apart from wittling it down and killing with Starmie's Hydro Pump or getting a Thunderbolt crit with Manectric, Azumarill is the most reliable way to take out Mega-Sableye. While it sounds easy, teams with Mega-Sableye often run Slowbro, and once Slowbro is in versus Azumarill it can be a challenge to regain momentum. Azumarill also can get an Aqua Jet off on Mega-Aerodactyl, one of my team's biggest nemeses.

Conclusion

I've probably missed some important points, but I've used this team so much that I've learned how to play with it, and some of the ways the team members compliment each other is now second nature, so it is possible I have missed some things. I don't consider myself to be an expert team builder, but I have found this team to work together so effortlessly, most of the time. There are pokemon I have trouble with (Mega-Sableye, Mega Aerodactyl, and SPEED BOOST BATON PASS MEGA HERACROSS), but the combination of the most annoying Gengar set in the world and Azumarill makes dismantling balance and fat offense a walk in the park.

Please give me any suggestions. :)

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 144 HP / 108 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)