(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

You know, I totally get why GF doesn't do this, but I really wish we could just see the exact numbers for a Pokemon's EVs in-game. Since the majority of VGC spreads are very precise and tailor-made to fit the team, making a mistake in training can sometimes be a disaster. The numbers don't even need to be shown on the stat screen - there could be an NPC that says something along the lines of "I'm getting these numbers... <lists the lead Pokemon's EVs in order of HP/Atk/Def/SAtk/SDef/Spe>. What could they mean?"

That way, the immersion is somewhat preserved for casual players who probably wouldn't know (or care) what the numbers mean, while giving competitive players a way to easily check EVs.
I agree with this. When it comes to RPGs, I'm all for the "give me all the exact numbers" approach. It'd be as simple as adding something in the options menu that let's you toggle "Advanced View" on and off to your liking. That way, the competitive players get their stats, the casuals get their, well, casual view.

Well being part fire negates the fairy weakness so not really. Popillio is only really better than the other starts due to early access Scald...

Perhaps they could let us reset EVs there and then as well? That'd be nice.
Yes, the fire type does weaken it, but what about Incineroar's signature move? Malacioius Moonsault? That would be weak...

Hey... Why don't they just make normal Dugtrio all male and Alolan Female?

Because that prevents you from naming male ones you catch "Hairmetal" obviously. I'm the only one who did that.
Hairmetal? That's a strange name. Glad Jynx is all female... That thing is creepy. Out off all the alolans, Sandshrew, Sandslash, Ninetails, and Vulpix look good. Other ones? Here is a list

• Weird
• Ridiculous
• Strange
:mad:

Hey... Why don't they just make normal Dugtrio all male and Alolan Female?
dont tell me u never saw he-man, men can have perfectly fabulous hair as well!

ok to respond to this thread: not being able to skip cutscenes is slowly irritating me more and more as i replay the series

also, black and white are some of the better games imo, but i absolutely cannot stand how they force the tutorial of the C-gear and then the C-gear takes up the whole bottom screen, and also forcing the tutorial of join avenue in bw2, when i can't use any of those features any more. Like if you want your game to have longevity it would help if the multiplayer aspect was not forced upon the player. So I get re-annoyed everytime i play a gen 5 game because of that.

The bitching about species with traits that happen to be associated (most of them arbitrarily) with one gender in humans is among the stupidest things I've ever seen on the internet, and there's a lot of stupid shit out there.

An actual thing to complain about might be the lack of differences between males and females in most species (differences that obviously would not conform to human norms, because that would make no sense) and lack of intraspecies diversity in general.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
An actual thing to complain about might be the lack of differences between males and females in most species....
Oh, this. I know we're all angry that Mega Evolution has been shoved so hard into the sidelines, but there was actually precedence for it: Gender differences.

In Gen IV, they were kind of a big thing. A solid chunk of the new Gen IV Pokémon had notable gender differences, and dozens of earlier-generation designs were modified to incorporate them. Female Pikachu's heart-shaped tail, Vileplume's spot pattern differences, Kadabra's mustache... they put a lot of work into this neat, little feature. It surely looked like it was intended to be a mainstay.

...then Gen V came along. It had three Pokémon across two different evolutionary lines that have gender differences at all. Admittedly, male and female Unfezant look very different, and Frillish/Jellicent's differences are fundamental too, but none of the 150 other Gen V Pokémon have any gender differences whatsoever. It's almost to the point that I suspect Frillish/Jellicent were dummied-out Gen IV designs, and that Unfezant was a prototype design for Staraptor. There's nothing about the Gen V designs that would have made gender differences impossible either, as most of them were very subtle. Gen VI followed up with a slightly higher ratio of gender-different Pokémon (two out of 72), and in Gen VII there are no new gender differences at all. Not even in the Alola forms (Kanto Raichu, Rattata and Raticate all have subtle differences between genders).

So yeah, Game Freak has kept having good ideas chucked away like hot potatoes between generations in the past. One generation, the new feature is the Best Thing Ever, the next it's nowhere to be found. I still shed tears for Gen V's dynamic background music.

Going by past experiences, I expect Gen VIII to have very few new Z-moves, if any, and neither Poké Pelago nor the Ultra Beast storyline will be continued in a meaningful fashion.

Going by past experiences, I expect Gen VIII to have very few new Z-moves, if any, and neither Poké Pelago nor the Ultra Beast storyline will be continued in a meaningful fashion.
Oh, I don't expect the Ultra Beast storyline to be continued at all. The biggest question is how will they appear in the games. While I enjoyed all the extra legendaries in OR/AS, I felt the way they appeared was such a copout and I have a bad feeling that's how Ultra Beasts will be treated.

A solid chunk of the new Gen IV Pokémon had notable gender differences, and dozens of earlier-generation designs were modified to incorporate them. Female Pikachu's heart-shaped tail
Speaking of, I hate this with the burning passion of ten thousand suns. Pikachu is one of my favorite Pokémon, okay, and the one I played as in Mystery Dungeon so I have this kind of extremely personal soft spot for it. But pretty much every Pikachu on the face of the planet is doomed to be male because of this retconning. All of my plushies, male. My Pokémon cards, male. My Pikachu in Yellow, male. My starter in Mystery Dungeon 1, where you get to choose your gender, still ends up having the "male" version of the tail. Not to mention, you can't pick gender in Super Mystery Dungeon, so if you play as Pikachu there like I did it is relegated to being male because for whatever reason the developers didn't see fit to at least include the option to play as a female-looking Pikachu. (Even MD2 with its tiny inconsequential sprites accounted for gender differences in starter options!)
I guess I shouldn't be so annoyed, considering how Game Freak seems to be attempting to phase out that same idea (see: Alolan Raichu, Super Mystery Dungeon, everything else you mentioned). But with Pokémon it's one of those things that nonetheless "stays canon forever", and I hate it.

Oh, I don't expect the Ultra Beast storyline to be continued at all. The biggest question is how will they appear in the games. While I enjoyed all the extra legendaries in OR/AS, I felt the way they appeared was such a copout and I have a bad feeling that's how Ultra Beasts will be treated.
If we look at Game Freak's history with this kind of thing:
- Mew was a giveaway-exclusive Pokemon in Gen I.
- In Gen II, there was a single mythical Pokemon, Celebi, and it had an entire story event made for it.
- In Gen III, Deoxys had its own unique area, and so did Lugia and Ho-oh (even if they weren't new Pokemon). Meanwhile, Jirachi required spin-off games.
- In Gen IV, Shaymin, Darkrai and Cresselia had their own areas (and so did Arceus even if its event was unused). Manaphy required playing Pokemon Ranger and so did Phione by proxy.
- In Gen V, and only in the first BW pair, Victini had its own area. We can consider Genesect's small piece of lore in this generation, but it's otherwise unrelated to the plot. Everyone else, well...

After Victini, they simply stopped caring about any kind of role or place dedicated to all other Mythical Pokemon, and to a lesser extent, the same happens to previous-generation Legendary Pokemon.

I guess Ultra Beasts will be depicted this way as well. Either an exclusive area and some random NPC gives you Beast Balls even though there's no reason for them to have such an expensive object, or events.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Gender Differences: And to confound them not giving Gen V-VII Pokemon gender differences, when they went to 3D they kept the gender differences of the Pokemon that had them! When going to 3D they had the opportunity to either getting rid of gender differences or giving them to the newer Pokemon. But they did neither, why? And many gender difference are small things, I'll now look through the Gen V-VII Pokemon and pick out a few which would be easy to add a gender difference to:

Gen V:
Emboar: Females have shorter tusks.
Samurott: Females have shorter mustache and beard.
Herdier & Stoutland: Females have shorter mustache.
Simisage: Females have shorter pompadour.
Simipour: Males have shorter hair.
Munna family: Females have more eyelashes.
Conkeldurr: Females have shorter beard.
Tympole family: Females have bigger bumps.
Leavanny: Females have longer abdomen.
Scolipede: Females have longer bottom antenna.
Whimsicott: Females have shorter horns.
Lilligant: Males have smaller flower.
Maractus: Females have bigger flowers.
Crustle: Males have bigger claws.
Scrafty: Females look like they're wearing eyeliner.
Yamask family: Female's masks have a shorter nose.
Trubbish family: The red and blue blobs are swapped depending on gender.
Zoroark: Males have more make-up.
Cinccino: Males have shorter hair, mane, and tail.
Gothita family: Males have smaller bows.
Deerling family: Females have shorter antlers.
Escavalier: Females have longer abdomen.
Alomomola: Males have shorter fins.
Galvantula: Females have longer abdomen.
Ferrothorn: Females have bigger pods.
Beartic: Females have shorter beards.
Accelgor: Females have longer sack tail.
Mienfoo family: Females have thinner eyebrows/upper eyelids
Bouffalant: Females have shorter horns.
Durant: Females have longer abdomen.
Volcarona: Females have longer abdomen.

Gen VI:
Chesnaught: Females have less fuzzier beard.
Braixen & Delphox: Males have shorter skirt/dress.
Diggersby: Females have thinner belt.
Vivillon: Females have longer abdomen.
Skiddo family: Females have shorter horns.
Spritzz family: Males have shorter eyelashes.
Slurpuff: Females have bigger hair puffs.
Clawitzer: Females have shorter antennas on big claw.
Tyrantrum: Females have shorter beard and mane.
Amaura family: Females have bigger gems on body.
Mega Pokemon: They follow their normal forms gender difference, if there is one, except the following.
Mega Heracross: Females horn spikes are more rounded.

Gen VII:
Incineroar: Females have smaller hands.
Primarina: Males have shorter hair.
Vikavolt: Females have longer abdomen.
Cutiefly family: Females have more antenna/eyelashes.
Araquanid: Females have longer abdomen.
Lurantis: Females have longer abdomen.
Salandit: Females have eyeliner like Salazzle.
Golisopod: Females have longer abdomen.
Mimikyu: Females have a notch at the tip of the wooden "tail".
Bruxish: Males have shorter eyelashes.
Drampa: Females have smaller beard
Alolan Rattata family: Males have longer whiskers.
Alolan Raichu: Females have a notch at the tip of its tail.

The majority of these changes would just involve stretching/squishing parts of the model or color swapping.

Ultra Beasts: I don't expect to be getting any more Ultra Beasts from Ultra Space... but that doesn't mean there can't be any more Ultra Beasts. "Ultra Beast" is such an ambiguous title, who's to say they can't re-use the name for other strange creatures that aren't quite like Pokemon? I personally played with the idea and came up with some ideas, though that edges on wishlisting so all I'll say is that the concept of "Ultra Beasts" opens up opportunity to add in creatures that wouldn't otherwise quite fit in the Pokemon world, at least as natural Pokemon.
As for the Beast Ball, I'd say the easiest way to handwave making more of them is maybe having a machine that turns a Poke Ball into a Beast Ball, like how in the Colosseum games have the Snag Machine turn Poke Balls into Snag Balls. Though in exchange for the convenience that Beast Ball will have the multiplier effect of the transformed Poke Ball instead (though still look like a Beast Ball).

Legendary Area: *sigh* So much potential to do a small event with Legendaries yet nothing done with it. It truly does make the Legendaries feel like they're non-canon, especially the Mythicals. Gen VI even had locations for the Gen VI Mythicals yet did nothing with them!

Oh, this. I know we're all angry that Mega Evolution has been shoved so hard into the sidelines, but there was actually precedence for it: Gender differences.

In Gen IV, they were kind of a big thing. A solid chunk of the new Gen IV Pokémon had notable gender differences, and dozens of earlier-generation designs were modified to incorporate them. Female Pikachu's heart-shaped tail, Vileplume's spot pattern differences, Kadabra's mustache... they put a lot of work into this neat, little feature. It surely looked like it was intended to be a mainstay.

...then Gen V came along. It had three Pokémon across two different evolutionary lines that have gender differences at all. Admittedly, male and female Unfezant look very different, and Frillish/Jellicent's differences are fundamental too, but none of the 150 other Gen V Pokémon have any gender differences whatsoever. It's almost to the point that I suspect Frillish/Jellicent were dummied-out Gen IV designs, and that Unfezant was a prototype design for Staraptor. There's nothing about the Gen V designs that would have made gender differences impossible either, as most of them were very subtle. Gen VI followed up with a slightly higher ratio of gender-different Pokémon (two out of 72), and in Gen VII there are no new gender differences at all. Not even in the Alola forms (Kanto Raichu, Rattata and Raticate all have subtle differences between genders).

So yeah, Game Freak has kept having good ideas chucked away like hot potatoes between generations in the past. One generation, the new feature is the Best Thing Ever, the next it's nowhere to be found. I still shed tears for Gen V's dynamic background music.

Ugh, the dumb gender differences.
This is really stupid.
Gender differences are annoying, but Slaking really needs them. You can get a female Slaking looking like a male.
Before Gardevoir was invented, you could get a female Gallade. FEMALE GALLADE!!!

Ugh, the dumb gender differences.
This is really stupid.
Gender differences are annoying, but Slaking really needs them. You can get a female Slaking looking like a male.
Before Gardevoir was invented, you could get a female Gallade. FEMALE GALLADE!!!
Gallade came in gen 4, after the rest of the ralts line. Gardevoir came first. You can't get a female gallade
Edit : shedinja'd

Gender Differences: And to confound them not giving Gen V-VII Pokemon gender differences, when they went to 3D they kept the gender differences of the Pokemon that had them! When going to 3D they had the opportunity to either getting rid of gender differences or giving them to the newer Pokemon. But they did neither, why? And many gender difference are small things, I'll now look through the Gen V-VII Pokemon and pick out a few which would be easy to add a gender difference to:

Gen V:
Emboar:
Females have shorter tusks.
Samurott: Females have shorter mustache and beard.
Herdier & Stoutland: Females have shorter mustache.
Simisage: Females have shorter pompadour.
Simipour: Males have shorter hair.
Munna family: Females have more eyelashes.
Conkeldurr: Females have shorter beard.
Tympole family: Females have bigger bumps.
Leavanny: Females have longer abdomen.
Scolipede: Females have longer bottom antenna.
Whimsicott: Females have shorter horns.
Lilligant: Males have smaller flower.
Maractus: Females have bigger flowers.
Crustle: Males have bigger claws.
Scrafty: Females look like they're wearing eyeliner.
Yamask family: Female's masks have a shorter nose.
Trubbish family: The red and blue blobs are swapped depending on gender.
Zoroark: Males have more make-up.
Cinccino: Males have shorter hair, mane, and tail.
Gothita family: Males have smaller bows.
Deerling family: Females have shorter antlers.
Escavalier: Females have longer abdomen.
Alomomola: Males have shorter fins.
Galvantula: Females have longer abdomen.
Ferrothorn: Females have bigger pods.
Beartic: Females have shorter beards.
Accelgor: Females have longer sack tail.
Mienfoo family: Females have thinner eyebrows/upper eyelids
Bouffalant: Females have shorter horns.
Durant: Females have longer abdomen.
Volcarona: Females have longer abdomen.

Gen VI:
Chesnaught:
Females have less fuzzier beard.
Braixen & Delphox: Males have shorter skirt/dress.
Diggersby: Females have thinner belt.
Vivillon: Females have longer abdomen.
Skiddo family: Females have shorter horns.
Spritzz family: Males have shorter eyelashes.
Slurpuff: Females have bigger hair puffs.
Clawitzer: Females have shorter antennas on big claw.
Tyrantrum: Females have shorter beard and mane.
Amaura family: Females have bigger gems on body.
Mega Pokemon: They follow their normal forms gender difference, if there is one, except the following.
Mega Heracross: Females horn spikes are more rounded.

Gen VII:
Incineroar:
Females have smaller hands.
Primarina: Males have shorter hair.
Vikavolt: Females have longer abdomen.
Cutiefly family: Females have more antenna/eyelashes.
Araquanid: Females have longer abdomen.
Lurantis: Females have longer abdomen.
Salandit: Females have eyeliner like Salazzle.
Golisopod: Females have longer abdomen.
Mimikyu: Females have a notch at the tip of the wooden "tail".
Bruxish: Males have shorter eyelashes.
Drampa: Females have smaller beard
Alolan Rattata family: Males have longer whiskers.
Alolan Raichu: Females have a notch at the tip of its tail.

The majority of these changes would just involve stretching/squishing parts of the model or color swapping.

Ultra Beasts: I don't expect to be getting any more Ultra Beasts from Ultra Space... but that doesn't mean there can't be any more Ultra Beasts. "Ultra Beast" is such an ambiguous title, who's to say they can't re-use the name for other strange creatures that aren't quite like Pokemon? I personally played with the idea and came up with some ideas, though that edges on wishlisting so all I'll say is that the concept of "Ultra Beasts" opens up opportunity to add in creatures that wouldn't otherwise quite fit in the Pokemon world, at least as natural Pokemon.
As for the Beast Ball, I'd say the easiest way to handwave making more of them is maybe having a machine that turns a Poke Ball into a Beast Ball, like how in the Colosseum games have the Snag Machine turn Poke Balls into Snag Balls. Though in exchange for the convenience that Beast Ball will have the multiplier effect of the transformed Poke Ball instead (though still look like a Beast Ball).

Legendary Area: *sigh* So much potential to do a small event with Legendaries yet nothing done with it. It truly does make the Legendaries feel like they're non-canon, especially the Mythicals. Gen VI even had locations for the Gen VI Mythicals yet did nothing with them!
So there are gender less Pokemon who deserve a gender. These Pokemon even look female: Meloetta, Tapu Fini, Tapu Lele, Diance, Magearnea. And then there's Landerous and Cryogonal. Both gender less, knowing ATTRACT!

Who was the first gender difference?

lol no
i shouldn't have to even explain this but ralts, kirlia, and gardevoir originate from rse and therefore gen 3, i can tell you that with absolute certainty because a) my first games were rse and they had gardevoir and sure as shit did not have gallade and b) the national pokedex list here lists them all by generation and if you look you'll see that gardevoir is under gen 3 and gallade gen 4 and neither of them gen 6. gardevoir became part fairy in gen 6 but was introduced in 3

Last edited:
So there are gender less Pokemon who deserve a gender. These Pokemon even look female: Meloetta, Tapu Fini, Tapu Lele, Diance, Magearnea. And then there's Landerous and Cryogonal. Both gender less, knowing ATTRACT!
1) They look feminine, not female. There's a huge difference between one thing and another. Think of birds - the colourful ones look feminine for us, right? But they are males.

2) Landorus is always male for some reason.

By then, Omega Ruby already had a fairy type Gardevoir. So will Delta Emerald
I highly doubt delta emerald will materialize. There were no blue, yellow, or crystal remakes. Gf seems to be deviating from third versions altogether, and I highly doubt that a third game to a pair of remakes would come out the generation after the other two.
However if I'm wrong, plz plz plz put the battle frontier in!

Another annoyance of mine is the fact that you have to leave festival plaza to get new guests(with the red speech bubbles). Then I have to reconnect to the internet every time i use a communication feature. I see this as a major downgrade, seeing that you stay connected to the internet even when not using PSS.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
You know something that I kind of miss? Guide books. There was always something magical to me about reading them that I can't seem to describe (especially my old Primia(?) guide for Gold and Silver that was written in a surprisingly snarky tone), and sadly the rise of the internet mostly killed them off.

You know what I don't miss? Pokémon guide books being pretty much worthless when it comes to telling you about stats.

I found my Primia guide for Emerald 10 minutes ago and looked at the stat spreads it gives. It basically rates stats on a scale of 1 to 100, but largely sticks to multiples of 5 or 10 (largely favoring 25-50-75) with some 33s and 66s. There's also bullshit like Golduck being on par with Kyogre in Special Attack (both 100), Rayquaza erroneously having its Special Defense be equal to its offenses (100s again), and Wynaut somehow having higher defenses than Wobbuffet (50s vs. 33s). Jirachi and Deoxys-S actually have their real base stats listed for some reason, and even then Deo-S has its Speed wrong (100).

1) They look feminine, not female. There's a huge difference between one thing and another. Think of birds - the colourful ones look feminine for us, right? But they are males.

2) Landorus is always male for some reason.
Uhhhh no I had a gender less Landorous in PS for some reason. :mad:

Uhhhh no I had a gender less Landorous in PS for some reason. :mad:
Landorus (and Tornadus and Thundurus) are always 100% male. Gardevoir is Gen 3 and was retconned to being a Fairy-type in Gen 6. Just like Azumarill (which was released in Gen 2). Gallade came in Gen IV. And Showdown often has minor glitches, it is not reflective of the games that it is SIMULATING.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)