(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Kangaskhan can only 2HKO anything with under 401HP if it has Seismic Toss. A move it can only get through a Gen 1 TM or a Gen 3 Tutor. This of course means it's bad for OU and should still be banned, but I'd hardly call it 'poorly thought out' if they're not taking into account an extremely obscure move which is difficult to get in-game and isn't even allowed in their own metas.
If the nerf murders Talonflame, oh well. It's not like there aren't a thousand more pivots out there.
Damnit, Kurona, you always steal what I'm going to say.

But yeah, Kangaskhan getting Seismic Toss in Gen III isn't even a concern for them because they only allow Pokemon bred and raised in that generation to play in most of the games - and the few metagames where they allowed previous generation Pokemon have typically also allowed legendaries that don't give a single crap about Kangaskhan in.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I know we're all saying it, but how hard are the new Gen VII Pokémon really to come by in a regular playthrough? Since there are only 81 of them, I think an in-depth analysis wouldn't be too hard to conduct. Heck, let's do colour codes.

Green - Ordinary, easy-to-find Pokémon. A 20 % encounter or more, unlimited availability.
Yellow - Not using this colour, since it's awkward to read.
Orange - Somewhat uncommon, but not rare. Between 5 and 20 % encounters, or common only at limited times of day.
Red - Rare. 5 % encounters or rarer, but technically of unlimited availability.
Blue - Requires some hoops to go through before it can be found (smashing rocks, fishing, etc), but not awfully hard to come by if you try.
Purple - Requires you to go through hoops and wrestle with RNG. Appears less than 25 % of the time after hoops are jumped through, or is otherwise limited.
Dark Purple - The ones that make us curse Game Freak - Jump through hoops, wrestle with the RNG, still unreasonably rare.
Brown - One-off gift Pokémon, may exclude other Pokémon. Prime example from past gens: the Odd Egg in Crystal. Or, you know, starters.
Black - Unavailable until post-game, if available at all.

As for evolutions, I'd really like to use colour codes there too. Would the following be confusing?

Black - Evolution by level-up, straightforward unless otherwise noted (such as unreasonably high evolution levels) in italics.
Pink - Evolution by friendship
Light Yellow - Seriously, who added this colour, it's completely unreadable
Light Brown - Location-based evolution (problematic, because those are late-game)

• Rowlet - Gift, starter
    • Dartrix - level-up
    • Decidueye - level-up
  • Litten - Gift, starter
    • Torracat - level-up
    • Incineroar - level-up
  • Popplio - Gift, starter
    • Brionne - level-up
    • Primarina - level-up
  • Pikipek - Common encounter
    • Trumbeak - level-up
    • Toucannon - level-up
  • Yungoos - Common encounter
    • Gumshoos - level-up, but only in the day
  • Grubbin - 10 % encounter on Routes 1, 4 and 5
    • Charjabug - level-up
    • Vikavolt - location-based (Vast Poni Canyon)
  • Crabrawler - Occasionally found in berry piles - the few of which respawn at midnight.
    • Crabominable - location-based (Mount Lanakila)
  • Oricorio - Common encounter
  • Cutiefly - Common encounter
    • Ribombee - level-up
  • Rockruff - Common encounter, but in optional side area
    • Lycanroc - level-up, but day/night depending on version
  • Wishiwashi - Common enounter. Forced, even.
  • Mareanie - Excruciatingly hard to find, since it's a rare summon for Corsola, which is a 5 % encounter in fishing spots (20 % in rippling spots in MeleMele Sea).
    • Toxapex - level-up
  • Mudbray - Common encounter
    • Mudsdale - level-up
  • Dewpider - Common encounter, but only in the day.
    • Araquanid - level-up
  • Fomantis - Common encounter
    • Lurantis - level-up, but only in the day
  • Morelull - Common encounter, but only at night
    • Shiinotic - level-up
  • Salandit - Common encounter
    • Salazzle - Only female Salandit will evolve, and those are relatively rare (3.125 %).
  • Stufful - Rare encounter (5 %)
    • Bewear - level-up
  • Bounsweet - Common encounter, but only in a small area.
    • Steenee - level-up
    • Tsareena - level-up, but requires Tsareena to learn Stomp.
  • Comfey - Rare encounter (5 %)
  • Oranguru - Rare encounter (5 %)
  • Passimian - Rare encounter (5 %)
  • Wimpod - Roams a small area and is easy to find, but a hassle to track down - or charge it with Tauros.
    • Golisopod - level-up
  • Sandygast - 20 % encounter in spots of rippling sand.
    • Palossand - level-up
  • Pyukumuku - Common encounter (Surfing)
  • Type: Null - Postgame
    • Silvally - Postgame
  • Minior - Common encounter
  • Komala - 10 % encounter on Route 11.
  • Turtonator - 10 % encounter, Blush Mountain
  • Togedemaru - 10 % encounter, Blush Mountain
  • Mimikyu - Rare encounter (5 %)
  • Bruxish - 20 % encounter in bubbling fishing spots
  • Drampa - 10 % encounter in Mount Lanakila
  • Dhelmise - 10 % encounter in bubbling fishing spots - Twice as rare as Bruxish, for reference.
  • Jangmo-o - Rare encounter (5 %)
    • Hakamo-o - level-up
    • Kommo-o - level-up
  • Tapu Koko - Postgame
  • Tapu Lele - Postgame
  • Tapu Bulu - Postgame
  • Tapu Fini - Postgame
  • Solgaleo/Lunala - One forced encounter, forced capture.
    • Cosmog - Postgame
    • Cosmoem - Postgame
  • Nihilego - Postgame
  • Buzzwole - Postgame
  • Pheromosa - Postgame
  • Xurkitree - Postgame
  • Celesteela - Postgame
  • Kartana - Postgame
  • Guzzlord - Postgame
  • Necrozma - Postgame
  • Magearna - Event only
  • Marshadow - Event only

So... now I can write a conclusion, I guess. It seems like of the new Pokémon, roughly a third are easy to find, roughly a quarter are relegated to the post-game, and the remaining invoke certain degrees of frustration when trying to find them.

Evolution is rarely a problem, though. There are no new Pokémon that evolve using items of any kind, none require trade, only two that require level-up in certain locations, and the rest are fairly straightforward.

I'd say there are some availability problems, at a glance. If anybody else want to do similar analyses for the other generations, in the games of their introduction, feel free to do so.

Last edited:
Damn. I got lucky with Mareanie and Dhelmise and found them relatively easily. It was Bruxish that was a pain. I ended up giving up and got it on the GTS thanks to someone wanting a Pheromosa (of which I had 8 copies of thanks to playing through Moon twice) for one.

A small heads up, Araquanid can be obtained in Malie Garden. It's one of the few 2 stage Alolan native mons you can find in its final stage along gumshoos, pony Canyon Lycanroc of different and based game, Faticate and Muk without SoS chaining before the league.

Bewear and Rimbombee join the rooster post game.

About Tflame, the problem is that there are very few anti fairy pivots in the game, especially anti fairy, spdef Arcanine is the only one with reliable recovery yet it is fucked silly if you pair it with sand offence, the magic of Tflame came from the ability to be used in almost any offensive core and still have that precios fairy switch in.

Last edited:
The talking Rotom
Very concise. I love it haha.

I totally agree, what I thought would be a cute sassy pokedex that I would learn to love and befriend over the course of my adventure ended up being a nuisance whose only purposes were to force me to click 'A' as fast as I could and to block out the map that I never knew I needed until I had it. Which brings me to the fact that they need to ditch the map along with the quest markers. They really take away from the exploring aspect because, subconsciously, I found myself looking more at the minimap than the actual screen. Now what they could've done/need to do, is combine rotomdex and the PSS to form a cute but also perfectly efficient wifi interface (without a map). I could see this working out very well, with rotom only speaking when you're getting challenged to a battle or trade or using a feature, etc. rather than during specific predetermined moments in the game.

The Rotomdex mostly annoyed me because the bottom screen was essentially worthless. Compared to Gen 6 having the PSS and Super Training - the latter of which having the added benefit of showing you your team at the time, very nice convenience for knowing when your team is full of eggs and when they've all hatched - having a squashed in mini-map and a quick link to the dex (which I didn't even know about until aftergame) is a bit... pathetic, doldrums and bare bones. It's pretty much the bare minimum effort.

I actually liked the Rotom-Dex. I don't mind it speaking - you can ignore the map on the bottom for the most part and it does have some personality. It's not great but some of it is alright (+puns). It's cute. Yeah it's a shame that PSS doesn't exist but I never used it to much anyway so I guess I don't mind it (mabye because I'm not actually doing anything remotely competitive yet in-game). I liked the quest markers, it's useful if you forget where you need to go.

Anyone else have a bit of a beef with the player's permanent, unrelenting smile? Seeing that thing during Totem Wishiwashi's intense cutscene actually made me bust out laughing.
Oh I agree. No matter WHAT terrible situation the player is facing, what do they do? SMILE. All of the time the player is at risk, what do they do? SMILE. They could've at least given the player a neutral expression if they couldn't make expressions happen in cutscenes (thought I don't see how this could be the case).

Last edited:
My friend and I were making fun of it recently. Either, a.) he's really seen some shit so nothing affects him or b.) he has had a double stroke so both sides of his face a pretty much paralyzed.
Sorry, had to.
Sumo cropped.jpe
sumo cropped full fixed.jpe
sumo final stupid.jpe

Aaaaanyway, I also feel like there also was emotion at some point, but it certainly wasn't with the Spearow, Wishiwashi, or anywhere near the end that was memorable. Probably something minor really early?

Last edited:
I don't think this has been said so forgive me if it has but I was playing Pokemon Moon and something dawned on me.

I HATE THE POKERIDE MUSIC.

It gets old fast and is one of the worst pieces in the game. It's so damn happy which I can't stand but it's not my kind of music. That's not why I hate it though. Similar to the Bicycle music from older gens when you use a PokeRide(/Bicycle) the new music overrides the old bar a few places. Not enough places. I was in the Ruins of Life where you have to use Machamp Shove in order to get past. The ruins have really cool music that fit really well with the ruins themselves but when I have to listen to that horrible PokeRide music it ruins the feel of the place.
I have to Reply to this old post: You can "disable" the Pokeride Music very easily by going to Festival Plaza and immediately going back by pressing X and Y(or Y and X? Basically getting out of Festival Plaza)

You can thank me by liking this post

I have to Reply to this old post: You can "disable" the Pokeride Music very easily by going to Festival Plaza and immediately going back by pressing X and Y(or Y and X? Basically getting out of Festival Plaza)
Um no I shouldn't have to go out of my way every time I use a PokeRide (which is a lot since Tauros Charge / Charizard Glide are extremely useful) to get ride of the tune when it shouldn't be in the first place.
You can thank me by liking this post
Not when you say something like this.

A small heads up, Araquanid can be obtained in Malie Garden. It's one of the few 2 stage Alolan native mons you can find in its final stage along gumshoos, pony Canyon Lycanroc of different and based game, Faticate and Muk without SoS chaining before the league.

Bewear and Rimbombee join the rooster post game.

About Tflame, the problem is that there are very few anti fairy pivots in the game, especially anti fairy, spdef Arcanine is the only one with reliable recovery yet it is fucked silly if you pair it with sand offence, the magic of Tflame came from the ability to be used in almost any offensive core and still have that precios fairy switch in.
Um...Ribombee is in Ula'ula Meadow. Quite common too.

I think the huge step backwards from the PSS last gen is because of a trend we've seen since Generation V: Game Freak's desire to make each generation "revolutionary".

Look at the first four generations: Even though we got some mechanics changes, the only upgrades on the surface are the new Pokemon and new regions. Then, in BW, Game Freak decided to "reboot" the series by resetting the route numbers to 1 and giving us only new Pokemon for the main story. We also got the introduction of the Global Link, which had things such as the GBU and the Dream World. Then came Gen VI, and while it ditched the Dream World, we got PSS, Pokemon-Amie, and Super Training. Although we had a primitive version in BW (the C-Gear) which only supported local wireless communication, with the PSS we could suddenly go online and battle or trade whenever we want.

Now let's look at Sun and Moon. We've had 3 years of Gen VI, and what was once new and exciting has now become stale. Thus, to really sell the point of this being an All New Generation(tm), Game Freak replaced the PSS with the Festival Plaza. Unfortunately, what they failed to realize is that the reason we liked the PSS is not because it was "the new toy", but because it was incredibly convenient. So I'd wager they thought they were doing us a favor by introducing this special area for wireless communication... they just got so many things so wrong. Ironically, the one thing last generation that we did love because it was the new toy but later forgot about (Amie) stayed and was legitimately improved on for Sun and Moon.

I honestly can't imagine that they're making these backwards decisions on purpose. I think it's more that they're blinded by putting "novelty" into the games and can't realize that if something isn't broken, don't try to fix it or you might break it in the process.

I'm not even going to bring up Hyper Training requiring level 100. That is a clear case of trying to make it make sense in-universe while being completely oblivious to the grinding requirement.

I am actually liking Pelago quite a bit now I've got into the rhythm of it (... and the fact it's EV training a Deino for me while I do everything else, haha) but I really wish you could skip the Charizard cutscene. It's pretty annoying especially when you just accidentally clicked Pelago.
Deep in a cave where flying makes no sense? Better hop on that Charizard.

In my opinion Sun/Moon has the opposite problem of XY - XY focused immensely on making Multiplayer great (introduction of Megas, attempts at balancing, extreme improvements to breeding, fantastic ways to grind exp and money, etc etc), but as a result the single player (the main game before the credits role and any aftergame story) suffered as a result.
Likewise, Sun/Moon focuses on having an incredible in-game - a great change to the formula in particular gives it a breath of fresh air and I actually felt some connection to the characters; not to mention the Ultra Beasts quest being great and basically the Delta Episode done much better - but as a result the multiplayer aspects suffer. Colosseum is still my favourite game and Platinum eases into second place just due to nostalgia, but I'd easily rank Moon as my third favourite Pokémon ignoring all multiplayer aspects. It's very well designed.

But, of course... for every step forward they take, they take a step back. The IV judge is absolutely amazing! Getting the Destiny Knot and any decently IV'd Pokémon to start with is a pain in the neck. IV increasing is now a thing! To get there, you need to be able to get to Level 100 but the methods to do so are about as limited as Red/Blue. They balanced out some of the more notorious aspects of Gen 6's competitive by nerfing Parental Bond and Gale Wings! Half the Mega Stones aren't available. The Apricorn Balls are back! You only get one per save. Breeding mechanics means passing down the ball is so much less of a pain! Getting even one Hidden Ability in this game is an absolutely ludicrous irritating pain compared to even the DexNav. BW2's Join Avenue is back! It's combined with multiplayer to create an ultimately mediocre experience when the Join Avenue and PSS in previous generations on their own without being merged were nigh-perfect.

We honestly don't know how good we had it in XY. Oh sure it's in-game was absolute bollocks, but Restaurant Le Wow gave us an easy way to grind Exp and Money - sure it's debatable whether this method or Blissey Bases is better, but both were very good at the end of the day especially compared to every other generation including 7. We had a great breeding route, items like the Destiny Knot weren't as hard to get, the O-powers were a tremendous aid once you maxed them out and started using them right, the PSS was leaps and bounds ahead of even what the last game in the series had to offer in terms of connectivity, and goddammit if the Friend Safari wasn't one of the best features to ever be cut from the games.

Sun/Moon had arguably the greatest in-game we've ever had, but at a great cost for anyone who's interested in multiplayer. A lot of the decisions made in regards to the latter are absolutely baffling.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

After playing through the main story and loving almost every second of it; to get to the postgame and find the Ultra Beasts, still amazing...then I hit the battle tree. And from there it went downhill.

48bp for Destiny Knot. Fuck off...no really whoever thought of putting such an essential item to breeding behind basically an ingame paywall is a horrible person.
So let's get this straight. To earn battle points I need to beat the battle tree. Doing so will allow me to breed strong pokemon. But to win in the battle tree I need strong pokemon..... God it is like trying to find a job "All jobs require prior experience, but to get experience you need a job".

The sheer volume of time I had to spend grinding and sneaking wins from the Battle Tree (Hypnosis+Sash Gengar...what fun -_-) just to get the power items at least was horrendous. Thankfully the Ultra Beasts came to the rescue and as soon as I had Xurkitree ready to battle it was a LOT smoother (still not fun or easy by any stretch of the imagination, but better using Xurkitree+2 ingame pokemon than using just 3 ingame pokemon).
And to make matters doubly daft on this front, GF had the gall to host a tournemant...two weeks after release. 2 weeks?! I spent half a week on trying to grind through the dam tree just to get the power items, let alone get the destiny knot, any other essential items, plan a team, find perfect pokemon, breed them, train them etc. (And incase you are wondering, no I will not be going, I flat out could not fit in life+playing this game at a pace where I could enjoy it+actually get ready)

The Festival Plaza does not work properly. It is really really glitchy. The amount of times my trading partner just flat out is not there (when they are actually online) or it spams "they denied the request" when they did not touch anything is ridiculous.

Also. Who took hordes out? I...I just don't see the logic there. With those I could keep track of EV's much clearer via mentally counting them and it was WAY quicker than the current S.O.S battles, which basically have you praying to the RNG gods.

And the Apricorn Balls....why? Why not just make them purchasable in a specific store after you get your first copy of each ball from Oak? I get it you can breed them through Males now as well, but still this is super restrictive. If anyone wants something like a Heavy Ball Rockruff, Love Ball Salandit, Level Ball Jangmo-o or a Lure Ball Wishiwashi then they are more than happy to contact me. As I am happy to help people out of this silliness. But I do appreciate the little ball animations they make now, at least a lot of my older pokemon I transfer up will be much better looking now.

I haven't even TRIED to get Hidden Ability pokemon yet or raise someone to lv100 and already I am being bombarded by silly problems that any playtester who played a previous title would have gone "wtf is this?" at.
I am tempted to just not breed until January and migrate over all my 5/6iv pokemon and Dittos, because...it aint worth this hassle :/. Same with hunting for Hidden Abilities.

Then there is the rarity of new pokemon, which is actually worse than it looks (mostly for fishing). How on EARTH are you supposed to know that some pokemon have a pathetic spawn rate (Bruxish/Dhelmise) unless you do the ripples? And hell, Dhelmises's fishing spot is so random and out of the way I would have never found it unless I looked it up. Same with Mareanie; which btw, fuck Mareanie. Finding that little urchin is just the most convoluted weird thing imaginable. Now I know the game points out several times that it is Corsola's predator, which is a very nice touch. But plenty of other pokemon are predators for other pokemon and you don't find them only by summoning it's prey and poking it for a bit. If they had hinted that is what you had to do, even roughly, "I heard Marenie only come out when they hear a Corsola's cries", would have been enough.
I honestly cannot wrap my head around the idea of making all your cool new pokemon you want to show off so rare that you will not find them without a guide (pokedex is better than ever, but even that will not help you here). Most times I find a new spot of grass and shuffle around in it for ages until a new pokemon shows up, as I assume most people do. I don't do it for hours incase a monumentally rare pokemon shows up, that is the definition of insanity (repeatedly doing the same thing and hoping it changes).

Bounsweet only being in the left part of the forest is daft. Why is something in the same visual area got a different encounter? (Also,the Jungle is not visible on the pokedex, great job...)

(Fuck it, going through the lot at this rate)
Passimian and Oranguru play into two pet peeves at once. I can perfectly understand why pokemon of their kind of power/stats are rare at the point you find them in the game. But making this the one place you find them is a huge dick move.
Why could they not have given them both a baby form and made those easier to find? I am pretty sure people would kill for a baby Lemur and a Baby Orangutan pokemon. That way they are still reasonable to find, and don't break the ingame balance. And also, they make sure there are more pokemon!!! Like I could accept X/Y's pathetically small roster if Mega's took up design time. But this volume? Again? Gen 5 was not so bad that they had to scale back on numbers of new pokemon. Sure you can have too many, but there is such a thing as too few as well. We wait years for a new pokemon game; and despite everything about it, new attacks, new abilities, new region; ONE thing keeps us coming back. New pokemon. Don't shaft us out of that....seriously.

Jangmo-o. Yes, it is the Pesudo legend....but it is so late into the game and comes at a baby stage, leading it to be you know..babied. I am thankful it evolves quickly, but still. 5%...again?

Grubbin. 10% encounter rate, for the Caterpie of this generation? I...I don't even... Caterpie is in-game at 30%....this is just Gen 1 bias now.

Mimikyu. Well at least we got to see it before being able to catch it...that's something right? Also. Nice move GF showing it off in the graveyard in trailers. Spent ages sniffing around there before finding out it was nowhere to be found. Several of my friends fell for that trick.

And yet despite all this I still love the game. Favorite to play the main story in the entire series save for Colosseum.
It's just...fix the multiplayer interactions man...

Last edited:
I am actually liking Pelago quite a bit now I've got into the rhythm of it (... and the fact it's EV training a Deino for me while I do everything else, haha) but I really wish you could skip the Charizard cutscene. It's pretty annoying especially when you just accidentally clicked Pelago.
You know what's REALLY annoying? When you accidentally got to Pelago, leave, and then immediately remember that you need to do something in it so you head back.

Dude, am I the only guy that actually breed ingame and stormed trough in less than 1 day?

In my emulator play I breezed through the game in 8 hours top, on cartridge I took my sweet time and went for HA lonely Pikachu, vital spirit adamant moondoge with Jolly ha Rockruffs in luxury balls ready to be breed before leaving the first island, got my adamant dewpider ready to roll before leaving the second island and still rotated 9 mons to keep my team underleveled.

By endgame I got my IV check the moment I stepped on the tree as I had my breeding quota, I had Marowak, Gyarados, Arcanine, Tokapex HA, Salazle even if we can't give her fake out, fake out Incineroar, metagross afreaking timid 4iv 30 spdef 0 atk Pheromosa and a hp ice Xurkitree in less than 15 hours played.

The only grind was the metagrossite. I don't know if I'm an obsessive optimizer due to my retarded amount of replays and speedruns but breaking the game with eviolite Magneton and Bouncee is easy as fuck.

Heck I actually had the decency to farm 10 lefties before leaving the first island.

Needless yo say, HA Abra and HA Clefable still fucking elude me due to beyond terrible RNG not giving me one in a chain of 200...fuck my life, I'm going to make a trade post for those 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 8)