(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Yes, my Pokebank still works that day :D

I hate how we can't just check the IVs of a Pokemon like we check its stats. By now everyone knows what IVs are, no point in keeping it secret
I would prefer just having a way to check EVs exactly instead of having to use the vague gauge on Super Training/saving, using a Reset Bag, then SR'd.

I would prefer both ;)
Also I just stumbled upon how Game Freak bleached out some Mons that would've looked great in a Master Ball, such as Starmie
Meh, it's still purple with red in the center. If someone wants to RNG it in a previous gen to put it in that ball, it still works in this generation. (the Starmie in a Master Ball, that is)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Also I just stumbled upon how Game Freak bleached out some Mons that would've looked great in a Master Ball, such as Starmie
What do you mean? You can catch a Starmie in a Master Ball by catching a Staryu in ORAS in a Master Ball an evolving it. But while we're on the subject

New Annoyance(s): The Master Ball annoys me, at least of Gen VI. The rule for the Master Ball was simple in the old games, use it on a Pokemon that roams. However in Gen VI there's no roaming Pokemon. "Okay, so use it on a Legendary that doesn't roam". Well the thing is you use it on a roaming Pokemon because its a hassle to capture, any other Pokemon you can chuck Pokeballs at it until it catches. So I still have my Master Balls with nothing to use them on. I suppose I could save it for a difficult Shiny I may encounter, but that's a pretty low chance of happening.
I sort of have the same thought on Ether items. They make them scarce, so much so you don't want to use them "just in case" you venture through a difficult area and you're Pokemon are running out of PP and going back to the Pokemon Center is a hassle. But the thing is that never happens, because if there is a dungeon that long they usually stick a person that can heal your Pokemon somewhere inside where you'll no doubt encounter them! I end up selling my Ethers for the little bit of cash they give me since I'm never going to use them. Maybe if they weren't so scarce, like I don't really see why they don't just sell the in PokeMarts.
So I guess what I'm saying is that I kind of wish they give me a Pokemon I could use my Master Ball on (specifically a roaming Legendary) and give me locations which I may need to use an Ether or two.

Last edited:
What do you mean? You can catch a Starmie in a Master Ball by catching a Staryu in ORAS in a Master Ball an evolving it. But while we're on the subject

New Annoyance(s): The Master Ball annoys me, at least of Gen VI. The rule for the Master Ball was simple in the old games, use it on a Pokemon that roams. However in Gen VI there's no roaming Pokemon. "Okay, so use it on a Legendary that doesn't roam". Well the thing is you use it on a roaming Pokemon because its a hassle to capture, any other Pokemon you can chuck Pokeballs at it until it catches. So I still have my Master Balls with nothing to use them on. I suppose I could save it for a difficult Shiny I may encounter, but that's a pretty low chance of happening.
I sort of have the same thought on Ether items. They make them scarce, so much so you don't want to use them "just in case" you venture through a difficult area and you're Pokemon are running out of PP and going back to the Pokemon Center is a hassle. But the thing is that never happens, because if there is a dungeon that long they usually stick a person that can heal your Pokemon somewhere inside where you'll no doubt encounter them! I end up selling my Ethers for the little bit of cash they give me since I'm never going to use them. Maybe if they weren't so scarce, like I don't really see why they don't just sell the in PokeMarts.
So I guess what I'm saying is that I kind of wish they give me a Pokemon I could use my Master Ball on (specifically a roaming Legendary) and give me locations which I may need to use an Ether or two.
I save all my ethers for the E4. Agreed with the Master Ball bit but I'll save it for a shiny

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I save all my ethers for the E4. Agreed with the Master Ball bit but I'll save it for a shiny
I always have enough PP for the Pokemon League mainly since I always use type advantage so I one-shot most of their Pokemon. Infact, aside from the Champion, I usually have one Pokemon assigned to deal with each member of the Elite Four (usually with one or two moves). Sure I sometimes need to use another Pokemon, but that's only because it just so happens to have a move that's Super Effective rather then I purposely prepared it. And even when I can't I can wait it out with neutral damaging moves and heal when necessary.

And talking about Master Balls and Shiny remind me of this comic, lol:

Argh, speaking of the HA Starters it's annoying it's only 1 per Pokebank I can't choose between Feraligatr (for sheer usefulness) or Typhlosion (my favourite Fire starter line)!

I suppose that is kind of line with how you usually get to pick starters with only one choice...but not a lot would go for Meganium... I guess I was spoiled by the way you can get all the Unova starters...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
.but not a lot would go for Meganium...
That is precisely why you should pick it. Everybody will pick Feraligatr or Typhlosion because the HA is useful or they like the design. Meganium has neither, so few will initially pick it. However, the urge to "collect 'em all!" is strong in Pokémon fans, so very many people will request HA Chikorita on GTS. You can get pretty much everything you want if you put up some decently IV'd HA Chikorita in the days and weeks following the promotion. Picking up both Totodile and Cyndaquil will be the least of your worries. Plus, you get to obtain them with different OTs, yielding a useful Exp. boost if you use them in-game.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Argh, speaking of the HA Starters it's annoying it's only 1 per Pokebank I can't choose between Feraligatr (for sheer usefulness) or Typhlosion (my favourite Fire starter line)!

I suppose that is kind of line with how you usually get to pick starters with only one choice...but not a lot would go for Meganium... I guess I was spoiled by the way you can get all the Unova starters...
You don't need to pick, you get all three if I'm reading Serebii correctly. ;)

EDIT: I am correct, you get all three. You need to open up Pokemon Bank up three times to get them all, but I don't think that'll be too much of a task. :P

BTW, here are their moves:

Meganium: Solar Beam, Sunny Day, Sythesis, & Body Slam
Typhlosion: Overheat, Flame Wheel, Flame Charge, & Swift
Feraligatr: Ice Punch, Crunch, Waterfall, & Screech

... Oh boy, let's go through each one:

Meganium: Trying to work with Leaf Guard, it gets the move that causes Sunny Weather and the two moves that it can learn that takes advantage of the sun. And for type variety they gave it Body Slam. Personally I'd give it Growth as a special move to further hammer in its suppose to be used with sun (honestly having Body Slam doesn't really give it that much more type coverage. If Meganium goes up against something that resists Grass-type moves it should just switch out).
Typhlosion: Honestly all Typhlosion needed was one powerful Fire-type attack to take full advantage of Flash Fire, it didn't need THREE thus completely removing type coverage. And you know what why not make that Fire-type move something special? I say give it Searing Shot. All the other moves could be its usual sets.
Feraligatr: My only problem is with Screech. Give it Brick Break, Shadow Claw, Rock Slide, or maybe something special (though it does get Ice Punch which is an Egg Move). Sure Screech lowers Defense but I feel that maybe it should just go all offensive.

But then again people are just going to use them as breeders as they get ones with perfect IVs and Egg Moves.

You don't need to pick, you get all three if I'm reading Serebii correctly. ;)

EDIT: I am correct, you get all three. You need to open up Pokemon Bank up three times to get them all, but I don't think that'll be too much of a task. :P

BTW, here are their moves:

Meganium: Solar Beam, Sunny Day, Sythesis, & Body Slam
Typhlosion: Overheat, Flame Wheel, Flame Charge, & Swift
Feraligatr: Ice Punch, Crunch, Waterfall, & Screech

... Oh boy, let's go through each one:

Meganium: Trying to work with Leaf Guard, it gets the move that causes Sunny Weather and the two moves that it can learn that takes advantage of the sun. And for type variety they gave it Body Slam. Personally I'd give it Growth as a special move to further hammer in its suppose to be used with sun (honestly having Body Slam doesn't really give it that much more type coverage. If Meganium goes up against something that resists Grass-type moves it should just switch out).
Typhlosion: Honestly all Typhlosion needed was one powerful Fire-type attack to take full advantage of Flash Fire, it didn't need THREE thus completely removing type coverage. And you know what why not make that Fire-type move something special? I say give it Searing Shot. All the other moves could be its usual sets.
Feraligatr: My only problem is with Screech. Give it Brick Break, Shadow Claw, Rock Slide, or maybe something special (though it does get Ice Punch which is an Egg Move). Sure Screech lowers Defense but I feel that maybe it should just go all offensive.

But then again people are just going to use them as breeders as they get ones with perfect IVs and Egg Moves.
To be fair Typhlosion's type coverage is kind of... shit. STAB, Hidden Power, some normal moves, Solarbeam.
Ohey there's something that annoys me; Pokémon with awful movepools in respect to their stats.

To be fair Typhlosion's type coverage is kind of... shit. STAB, Hidden Power, some normal moves, Solarbeam.
Ohey there's something that annoys me; Pokémon with awful movepools in respect to their stats.
Yeah, no kidding. I'm using a typhlosion as doubles/triples fodder in the Maison, and my coverage move is EARTHQUAKE. Typhlosion actually has a really great movepool, coverage-wise; the only problem is that most of it is on the physical side, and always has been even GenIV prior.

They REALLY need to revamp movepools of Gen 1-2 Pokemon; a lot of pokes with decent stats are crippled because of it. Imagine if Zapdos had a decent Flying STAB on its special side, like Air Slash? I just realized that they gave Air Slash to Moltres, which means it's an INTENTIONAL OVERSIGHT.

Not quite Gen6, but what annoys me about playing ROMs is when shinies show up. I finally gave into my friend's demands that I play Pokemon Dark Rising and aside from occasionally shit grammar (which doesn't actually bother me), it's actually awesome. Though it does say something about the basic Pokemon game that, in order to give a decent challenge, opponents need to have an 8-10 level advantage.

Only problem is that I've got a shiny Growlithe in there! Random wandering shiny just kicked up by RNG. Same thing happened with a Fire Red playthrough I did years ago - though it wasn't as good as Arcanine, I think it might have been a shiny Caterpie or something.

It's friggin' adorable enough that it makes me want to shiny breed for one. Right after a Mawile, a Poliwag, and a Charmander...

They REALLY need to revamp movepools of Gen 1-2 Pokemon; a lot of pokes with decent stats are crippled because of it. Imagine if Zapdos had a decent Flying STAB on its special side, like Air Slash? I just realized that they gave Air Slash to Moltres, which means it's an INTENTIONAL OVERSIGHT.
They give Hurricane to Moltres and Articuno but not Zapdos. ARE YOU SERIOUS ? Rain Dance/Drizzle + STAB Perfect Accuracy of Hurricane/Thunder must sound too good.

Probably wishlisting here; but since they gave Sacred Fire to Entei I've hopes they'll give Aeroblast to one of the birds; particularly Zapdos. Man that would be great...
Talking of which, anyone else find it a bit annoying when signature moves are given out to Pokémon in a different line in the next game or gen? Like Sacred Sword was a cool thing unique to the Muskedeers, and then the Honedge line got it. I mean... it makes sense, I guess. I know it's a sword and all, but... gah.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Probably wishlisting here; but since they gave Sacred Fire to Entei I've hopes they'll give Aeroblast to one of the birds; particularly Zapdos. Man that would be great...
Talking of which, anyone else find it a bit annoying when signature moves are given out to Pokémon in a different line in the next game or gen? Like Sacred Sword was a cool thing unique to the Muskedeers, and then the Honedge line got it. I mean... it makes sense, I guess. I know it's a sword and all, but... gah.
Can you imagine if it didn't get it though? Then that would be talked about here instead; "why doesn't Aegislash get Sacred Sword? It's a goddamn living sword for crying out loud! Not to mention it would give it really good physical coverage..."

So this isn't related to the games directly, but something that annoys me is when people complain that 'TrollFreak' makes them pay $5 (or whatever it is locally) for Pokemon Bank. We heard it before when it was released, and I'm hearing it now that the Hidden Ability Johto starters have been announced. People think that GF is just using it as a way to force people to pay, and that it's borderline DLC. If anything, I see it as compensation for having to pay. The reason we lost the old gen servers was because they weren't cost-effective so it wasn't a good idea to keep them going forever when people weren't really using them anyway. With Pokemon Bank they're at least using some foresight, this is a service that is going to be needed / used for the foreseeable future, and to keep the servers running for it they need to pay for it. They probably don't want to have to make us pay anything like this, since basically all features of the Pokemon games have been free up until now, so to say 'hey, it's time to renew that PokeBank subscription you bought a year ago that you hate so much' they're giving us something pretty damn cool to say thanks.

There has got to be a better coverage move than Body Slam for Meganium. Her base SpA is higher than her Atk, albeit just by one. Guess it depends on the nature.

I'm probably just going to replace Flame Wheel with Flamethrower. Flame Charge needs to go too, since Typhlosion prefers to blast his opponents, not tackle them.

And I think Dragon Dance would have been better than Screech. I don't know, maybe Swords Dance would be better?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Yeah, no kidding. I'm using a typhlosion as doubles/triples fodder in the Maison, and my coverage move is EARTHQUAKE. Typhlosion actually has a really great movepool, coverage-wise; the only problem is that most of it is on the physical side, and always has been even GenIV prior.

Yeah, I saw that when I looked up its movepool to recommend better moves... and saw they didn't really have any (though Feraligatr does have nice coverage, but sadly a lot of them didn't have secondary effects to make use of Sheer Force).

Honestly I think they should go back through all the generations and not only "fix" movepools but also adjust stats. Nothing too drastic, just maybe increase the stats of Pokemon with a bit of a low BST. Heck, maybe even switch around Abilities (though honestly some Abilities just need some improving to make usable).

So this isn't related to the games directly, but something that annoys me is when people complain that 'TrollFreak' makes them pay $5 (or whatever it is locally) for Pokemon Bank. We heard it before when it was released, and I'm hearing it now that the Hidden Ability Johto starters have been announced. People think that GF is just using it as a way to force people to pay, and that it's borderline DLC. If anything, I see it as compensation for having to pay. The reason we lost the old gen servers was because they weren't cost-effective so it wasn't a good idea to keep them going forever when people weren't really using them anyway. With Pokemon Bank they're at least using some foresight, this is a service that is going to be needed / used for the foreseeable future, and to keep the servers running for it they need to pay for it. They probably don't want to have to make us pay anything like this, since basically all features of the Pokemon games have been free up until now, so to say 'hey, it's time to renew that PokeBank subscription you bought a year ago that you hate so much' they're giving us something pretty damn cool to say thanks.
As I said, I have no problem with them giving away a special non-Legendary Pokemon out once in a while as a sort of "members" perk. Like I could see them giving away Pokemon based on the winners of the tournaments they hold. It's only if they start doing this with Legendaries woud I start having a problem with them giving out Pokemon via PokeBank. And 5 bucks a year is a pretty damn good deal, its that personally I don't need the service that it provides and thus if they ever give out a Legendary through the PokeBank it to me would feel like DLC.

HOWEVER there is one big complaint I have with PokeBank and its a big one: it's the only way to transfer a Pokemon over from Gen V to Gen VI. PokeTransfer directly deposits a Pokemon from a Gen V game into PokeBank instead of directly into a Gen VI game, which means when Gen VII comes rolling around I garuntee you they're going to discontinue that service. They're going to artificially cause a generation cutoff and they didn't need to! I don't see why they could give us a way to directly transfer from our Gen V game to our Gen VI game. Heck, they could possibly make that a selling point or XY2: "We've also included a way for you to directly trade between your Gen V games to your Gen VI games if you have two DS systems!".

There has got to be a better coverage move than Body Slam for Meganium. Her base SpA is higher than her Atk, albeit just by one. Guess it depends on the nature.

I'm probably just going to replace Flame Wheel with Flamethrower. Flame Charge needs to go too, since Typhlosion prefers to blast his opponents, not tackle them.

And I think Dragon Dance would have been better than Screech. I don't know, maybe Swords Dance would be better?
Meganium has Earthquake, but as I said I think they gave it Body Slam for "coverage". Though honestly its best to switch it out against anything it can't hit super effectively/neutrally with its STAB since it has no coverage. Give it Growth as a special move, let is set out the sun (or team it up with a sun summoner) and let it Solar Beam as much as it can. After its all out you can start using it as a wall.

Yeah, I have no clue WHY they tried to make Typhlosion a mixed attacker. Like I guess I can understand Flame Charge as it increases its speed, but Flame Wheel? Give it Flamethrower of Fire Blast, even Blast Burn of Fire Pledge!

I just say make Feraligatr a full attacker and leave it light that. If the player wants to give it a different move that's their decision. Maybe give it a Poison-type attack? Gunk Shot make sense for it I think as a special move.

What is the actual point of Lucky Punch
They wanted to use the pun but didn't really think it fully through. That's ANOTHER thing they need to look through and improve, some held items. I don't think you could even use the "it's for main game" excuse as if you're using a Chansey on your team its as a healer/wall so you can heal your party.

Yeah, I saw that when I looked up its movepool to recommend better moves... and saw they didn't really have any (though Feraligatr does have nice coverage, but sadly a lot of them didn't have secondary effects to make use of Sheer Force).

Honestly I think they should go back through all the generations and not only "fix" movepools but also adjust stats. Nothing too drastic, just maybe increase the stats of Pokemon with a bit of a low BST. Heck, maybe even switch around Abilities (though honestly some Abilities just need some improving to make usable).

As I said, I have no problem with them giving away a special non-Legendary Pokemon out once in a while as a sort of "members" perk. Like I could see them giving away Pokemon based on the winners of the tournaments they hold. It's only if they start doing this with Legendaries woud I start having a problem with them giving out Pokemon via PokeBank. And 5 bucks a year is a pretty damn good deal, its that personally I don't need the service that it provides and thus if they ever give out a Legendary through the PokeBank it to me would feel like DLC.

HOWEVER there is one big complaint I have with PokeBank and its a big one: it's the only way to transfer a Pokemon over from Gen V to Gen VI. PokeTransfer directly deposits a Pokemon from a Gen V game into PokeBank instead of directly into a Gen VI game, which means when Gen VII comes rolling around I garuntee you they're going to discontinue that service. They're going to artificially cause a generation cutoff and they didn't need to! I don't see why they could give us a way to directly transfer from our Gen V game to our Gen VI game. Heck, they could possibly make that a selling point or XY2: "We've also included a way for you to directly trade between your Gen V games to your Gen VI games if you have two DS systems!".

Meganium has Earthquake, but as I said I think they gave it Body Slam for "coverage". Though honestly its best to switch it out against anything it can't hit super effectively/neutrally with its STAB since it has no coverage. Give it Growth as a special move, let is set out the sun (or team it up with a sun summoner) and let it Solar Beam as much as it can. After its all out you can start using it as a wall.

Yeah, I have no clue WHY they tried to make Typhlosion a mixed attacker. Like I guess I can understand Flame Charge as it increases its speed, but Flame Wheel? Give it Flamethrower of Fire Blast, even Blast Burn of Fire Pledge!

I just say make Feraligatr a full attacker and leave it light that. If the player wants to give it a different move that's their decision. Maybe give it a Poison-type attack? Gunk Shot make sense for it I think as a special move.

They wanted to use the pun but didn't really think it fully through. That's ANOTHER thing they need to look through and improve, some held items. I don't think you could even use the "it's for main game" excuse as if you're using a Chansey on your team its as a healer/wall so you can heal your party.
Honestly, we need better coverage for some types too. Play Rough is ridiculous, the only Fairy physical move ever. Ancientpower and Power Gem too, they both kind of suck

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm assuming you mean Mythical Pokemon (event legends) since we have access to literally every other legend in XY+ORAS. It's probably a dumb question but were you upset that they distributed Celebi that way?

I mean, I can sorta see how it would suck if you didn't have Bank and then they announce stuff like this, but I would have thought that 90% of players have it so people without it don't really have much of an argument to lean on. Bank is pretty much a necessity the way I see it anyway, it's so easy to fill your PC with eggs / fodder from breeding, and if you keep a live dex then it's pretty much full already, and if you have two gen VI games then it's an absolute must for transferring between them.

How else were they meant to do it?? I guess they could have done the same as gen IV-V but not that many people actually have two consoles, could you imagine the frustration if they went that route again from the people that it affected? It would be way more people than what there are now complaining about bank / transporter. There's no way there's going to be another 'generation cutoff' again as long as Pokemon Bank is around, but even if there was it wouldn't be that horrible, nothing without a Pentagon is allowed in official competitions anyway so as far as Nintendo / GF are concerned it wouldn't matter.

Basically, I think anyone complaining about these apps are just spoiled babies who are used to GF handing them everything on a silver platter the last 5 generations. /rant

edit: I'm just trying to say that they've done a good job pleasing the majority, it's the sooky minority that annoy me in gen 6

Last edited:
How else were they meant to do it?? I guess they could have done the same as gen IV-V but not that many people actually have two consoles, could you imagine the frustration if they went that route again from the people that it affected? It would be way more people than what there are now complaining about bank / transporter. There's no way there's going to be another 'generation cutoff' again as long as Pokemon Bank is around, but even if there was it wouldn't be that horrible, nothing with a Pentagon is allowed in official competitions anyway so as far as Nintendo / GF are concerned it wouldn't matter.

You mean WITHOUT a pentagon, and people don't really care about that, people care about Pokemon they feel emotionally attached to, such as my team from my first successful Ruby playthrough. I've lost some of it, but three Pokemon still stand and I want to have them around forever. So cutting connections between gens again would be the dumbest move ever since Unova's no old-gen Pokemon rule

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 7)