(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What pokemon did this 'ORAS gentleman' have on him? There's no point in listening to him if his pokes are crap...
You sound offended by the notion of the guy saying that to win you have to pick Pokemon which are considered superior.

If you are, what he saying isn't gospel (even though some people treat it as such). As I've said before, I think between Karen's "only true trainers use their favorite" and the ORAS Gentleman there is a what most trainers should be aiming for. Sure you can just use a team of Pokemon which are considered the top percentage of all Pokemon, though if you're not particularly fond of any of them battling won't be as fun. Sure you can just use a team of your favorite Pokemon, but chances are that won't make a team who work well together (it'll get you through game's story probably, but probably not far in the Battle Facilities and online). I think the balance between having fun and successful is maybe picking one or two (or maybe three) favorites and then using the remaining slots to have "top" Pokemon that works well with your favorites.

Umm... you do know that Battle Maison trainers have "random" teams, right? There are criteria for what Pokémon they may choose, but they don't have a set team of Pokémon. They're having a quite excellent discussion on this in the Maison thread right now.
Although, there are no exactly Gentleman in current Maison. The Kalos equivalent, yes.

What pokemon did this 'ORAS gentleman' have on him? There's no point in listening to him if his pokes are crap...
NPC, but he has the best point in the Franchise, Taurus Starmie, Alakazam, Gengar, Exeggutor, Snorlax, the lati twins blissey, skarmory, suicune, Garchomp, Cresselia, the dragon slayers heatran and Scizor, hydreigon, amoongus, jellicent, Terrakion, Keldeo, Landorus I/T, Thundurus I, Tornadus I/T and weather abusing or inducing friends, mega khanga Greninja, Aegislash, Bisharp and mega Salamence.

There are pokemon that ended up defining the shape of a metagame for a period of time and had so little drawbacks it was counterproductive not using them.

Advocate for the seaking and farfetch'd of America, but in the end the real influence in the metagame came from those guys.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's already been said, but it sucks that certain pokemon can't be in certain balls simply b/c the balls weren't unavailable in those games (ie. Pokemon not available in HGSS can't be in an apricorn ball). And along those lines, I wish all the event exclusive pokemon would hand you an item that would trigger an event to catch in-game instead of just handing you the pokemon (ie. Eon Ticket). Not only would it be faster to get the nature and stats you want, it would allow them to be in a different pokeball besides a cherish ball. I hope these pokeball limitations are rectified in Gen 7 b/c it would be great to have a Keldeo in a lure ball or Diancie in love ball, etc.

I'm sure it's already been said, but it sucks that certain pokemon can't be in certain balls simply b/c the balls weren't unavailable in those games (ie. Pokemon not available in HGSS can't be in an apricorn ball). And along those lines, I wish all the event exclusive pokemon would hand you an item that would trigger an event to catch in-game instead of just handing you the pokemon (ie. Eon Ticket). Not only would it be faster to get the nature and stats you want, it would allow them to be in a different pokeball besides a cherish ball. I hope these pokeball limitations are rectified in Gen 7 b/c it would be great to have a Keldeo in a lure ball or Diancie in love ball, etc.
I don't give a Rattata's ass about the ball, but I want to be able to get the right nature without having to settle with the crap the game deems to give me!

The worst part is of all things, Eevee isn't legal with apricorns ;;

The worst part is of all things, Eevee isn't legal with apricorns ;;
And even if it was, we wouldn't be able to have Pixliate Sylveon in a Love Ball.
Seriously, why couldn't we just be able to buy Apricorn balls from the Poké Ball Boutique or something? Even if it was only post game for us crazies who enjoy having the correct ball for their Pokémon. I mean, right now, I am enjoying my Dusk Ball Houndoom in X (though if I were to breed a competitive Houndoom, I have a female Moon Ball Houndoom waiting).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Yeah, it only they would introduce some kind of Poke Ball shop, a shop thought would not only sell all the variety of Poke Balls you'd normally have to region hop to get but also sold Poke Balls you couldn't get like the Apricorn Balls and maybe the Safari Balls... seriously the Poke Ball shop in Lumiose City was not only a waste of space and concept (so I could buy a Premier Ball normally from it, woo~) but also a tease as they had some of the Apricorn Pokeballs on display!

Or heck, why not just start spreading the Apricorn trees all around the Pokemon World. I don't see why not, like I get you not including them for Gen III since they weren't compatible with Gen II games and you wanted to focus on the New Pokeballs. Fine. But when you brought them back in the Johto remakes I don't see why you didn't keep them around.

Actually looking through something I have a new annoyance: them removing fun key item. We all know GF just loves throwing away old stuff even though players liked them for new stuff for players to also like until they get rid of them too. Here's a quick list of some notable ones:

Coin Case: RIP Game Corner.
Poke Flute/Colored Flutes: Those were fun bonus items to have. Sure they made some medicine obsolete but I felt that was because your were expanding your capability and savviness as a trainer (heck, most become obsolete once you can guy Full Heals). Plus curing Confusion & Infatuation without needing to switch or using a once use item is handy.
Soot Sack: While maybe not always soot, I liked the idea of having an item which collected something as you're just going around. Like I always thought they should maybe have a Soot Sack for garbage cans. You know, give those garbage cans you always see around yet have nothing when you look into them? How about a "Recycle Sack" which stores items you find in trashcans you can then bring to someone to turn into items.
Fame Checker: Learning more about the characters within the game and maybe adding some depth to them that our brief encounter with them in the story wouldn't normally be able to show? YES PLEASE!
Teachy TV/Journal: While not essential, it would be nice to have an item you can look up basic tutorials in. If you want some more use with it you could maybe even have it include a Type Chart.
Vs. Seeker: While the AreaNav was nice, I'd also like to have an item they could force trainers to immediately battle again instead of having to run around between routes until they felt like it.
Gen IV's Bike: Acro and Mach Bike is nice, but having both of them in one bike is even better (and you don't have to waste a quick select spot on a second bike).
Seal Case: Yet another chance to add customization. Sure Pokeballs all have their own release animation, but Seals add many more options. Plus you could maybe even have a combo thing where the Seals animation will change depending on the Poke Ball used with. You could maybe even have that play a factor in Pokemon Contests.
Explorer Kit: More of seque to the Sinnoh Underground, it was a fun concept and I think they could have recycled the idea. It also didn't always be an underground place.
Poketch: I liked all the little apps they came up with it, wished they kept them for the other future Trainer Tools.
Berry Pots: A great idea for those who don't want to keep running back or remembering where they planted Berries. Also I could maybe also having Apricorn Pots.
GB Sounds: Mainly restricted to the remakes. Why was there no GBA Sounds in ORAS?
Roller Skates: I hope they keep them, though maybe letting us choose when to put them on.
Eon Flute: I want them to keep this but I don't see how unless they shove the Eon Duo in every game. Maybe instead of this item specifically they should just make Soaring a mechanic a specific batch of Pokemon could do.
Scuba Gear: Would also like if they kept diving in the game. And it doesn't have to be as expansive as Hoenn's. Maybe have certain diving spots that show off different kind of water biomes.
PokeNav Plus: Or at least moves its features to other places. Like you can have the DexNav just be part of the Pokedex and the AreaNav just be part of the Town Map.

Gen IV's Bike: Acro and Mach Bike is nice, but having both of them in one bike is even better (and you don't have to waste a quick select spot on a second bike).
I agree on most of what you said (especially the colored flutes, which I remember grinding out an extra set to transfer to Black and White before I learned that I couldn't...then I learned they are just for selling...), though I disagree on this one a little bit. I never felt like the Sinnoh bike was a true hybrid of the Acro and Mach Bikes.
Now, if they kept wheelies and bunny hops on the lower gear, I will be totally down with that.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haven't really read through this thread but I assume somebody's complained about the exp share sucking for nuzlockers in general. That annoys the hell out of me, but I just realized how much more annoying it is that they just throw it at you when you haven't even reached rustboro yet. Like here, take this ridiculous item super early for just beating up a poochyena. I really enjoyed the whole bring a letter through a big dark cave, go back and get rewarded type thing, you were actually doing something that took a while which was eventually worth it for this great item. Now they just give you something that ends up being necessary for the leveling curve if you don't want to grind each mon 3-5 levels minimum before facing Steven, forcing them to make you get it rather than having a cool, optional item for you. It feels like in general side explorations have stopped being meaningful, the best thing in gen 6 was going down that route past mt pyre for that lake with the eviolite, which was cool but not really a necessary item unless you're like me and use the pupitar you got through wonder trade.

tldr stop throwing all these amazing items at me for doing nothing, maybe make a side quest slightly more interesting
Edit: oh and secret meadow/islet which are pretty useless

Last edited:
It really annoys me how shite Pokémon is at marketing. Like, on top of what is now a really infamous bad 'reveal' in Corocoro, just in general... well, Codraroll puts it and has put it a lot better but using a magazine exclusive to Japan as your main outlet of news is dated, really out of touch and just asinine to do in 2016. Or 2015. Or like, any year after 2007 even

edit: Also, the recent Pokken patch being different in America making it impossible for anyone outside of America (ie, me) being able to play with American friends. The actual fuck?

Last edited:
Nintendo in general is pretty out of touch with fans from the west. Pokemon is a huge franchise but there aren't any forums/subreddits where devs can interact with the fans. Nearly every single major developer in this day and age has some sort of medium to interact with players and take suggestions/ideas from them. Nintendo however, a huge ass multi-million dollar company, has hardly anything. I know there's a language barrier but they could very easily get a representative or something.

No one ever thinks about pitching ideas or asking questions directly to game freak because there's no point, all we can do is discuss things amongst ourselves. It's been that way since the beginning.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Nintendo in general is pretty out of touch with fans from the west. Pokemon is a huge franchise but there aren't any forums/subreddits where devs can interact with the fans. Nearly every single major developer in this day and age has some sort of medium to interact with players and take suggestions/ideas from them. Nintendo however, a huge ass multi-million dollar company, has hardly anything. I know there's a language barrier but they could very easily get a representative or something.

No one ever thinks about pitching ideas or asking questions directly to game freak because there's no point, all we can do is discuss things amongst ourselves. It's been that way since the beginning.
I think the recent CoroCoro leaks underlined this better than anything. CoroCoro said - in Japanese, to a perceived exclusive Japanese audience - that features on Sun & Moon would begin in the next issue. Fans translate this, spread it worldwide and perceive it to be a promise of more news, of which there have been none since the initial announcement. Within days, the Internet is buzzing, and the forums bracing themselves for the information leak. The leak happens at a point in time that TPC has no control over whatsoever. News are leaked bit by bit, and the first message that hits the Internet is "no Sun/Moon news". What's worse, from the looks of things they have deliberately gone out of their way to hide the news. A tremendous hammer blow to overhyped fans. Cue epic disappointment, despite nobody really having promised any content. We build the hype on poor foundations, and storm with rage when it all collapses.

There should have been alarm bells ringing all over TPCi's offices ever since the notion spread across the Internet that there would be concrete features in the next CoroCoro. Those rumours should have been dispelled early, to prevent the backlash. There should be an international, easy-to-access news outlet that could ensure that the intended message was relayed to the masses. Instead, we have word-of-mouth rumours, shoddy translations, expectations raising to critical levels due to lack of info, and news are revealed piecemeal through channels the officials have no control over. No wonder why the intentions of the developers are often poorly communicated to the fans.

That's terrible customer communication, making a bad marketing schedule even worse. TPCi failed to deliver on a promise they never made, but they had no means to tell us they never intended to promise anything. Instead, we have Joe "Serebii" taking the responsibility to calm down fans, on TPC's behalf. Yet another sign that the developers and the fans appear to live in separate worlds. That's extremely poor coming from the developers behind the second best-selling video game franchise in history. I don't follow other Nintendo franchises as I do Pokémon, but if it's equally bad all across the Nintendo line, they've got one mother of a clean-up job they should be doing.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sort of off topic in regards to the current discussion, but I don't like what Game Freak did to Carbink. I had this EV trained Carbink that I used in Battle Spot. I really liked it because it was really hard to KO most of the time. And what does Game Freak do but release Diancie - a Pokémon that outclasses Carbink in pretty much every way possible. It has the same defenses but better offenses, and has pretty much the exact same movepool. To top it off, the dumb thing gets a mega. And it isn't even an evolved form, so Carbink becomes just plain unviable. I mean, really?
(The same thing applies to Phione and Manaphy, but Phione could be considered a "baby Pokémon" because of the way it is obtained.)

Sort of off topic in regards to the current discussion, but I don't like what Game Freak did to Carbink. I had this EV trained Carbink that I used in Battle Spot. I really liked it because it was really hard to KO most of the time. And what does Game Freak do but release Diancie - a Pokémon that outclasses Carbink in pretty much every way possible. It has the same defenses but better offenses, and has pretty much the exact same movepool. To top it off, the dumb thing gets a mega. And it isn't even an evolved form, so Carbink becomes just plain unviable. I mean, really?
(The same thing applies to Phione and Manaphy, but Phione could be considered a "baby Pokémon" because of the way it is obtained.)
Also, Carbink doesn't get Diamond Storm.
OK, I forgot that this thing exists because of Diancie lol

Also, Carbink doesn't get Diamond Storm.
OK, I forgot that this thing exists because of Diancie lol
Maybe i missed the boat and really don't understand what they (GF) were getting at, but if you are going to have a 'legendary' that is an evolved wild pokemon -- surely it should be attainable in-game. Hell, make it hard, painful and even time consuming to evolve but making it available as a legendary seems a little unfair -- it makes me wonder, perhaps its just a shiny stone or something that evolves it?

It has probably been mentioned before, but my biggest issue is still HM's taking up a move slot. I like to breed pokemon for VGC battling -- although IDEK how to start -- i've got like 60 but when i do a 'run through' to level them up and I'm too lazy, it means I have to waste a move slot and relearn the move I wan't later on

What really annoys me is the fact that they had a chance to make secret bases decently cool/hard, but I think they rushed ORAS and didn't make them to their full potential. I liked them much better back in RSE. Another thing that absolutely killed me is that they not only didn't bring back the Emerald battle frontier, but they didn't even just have the battle tower. Only the battle maison, which was already in X and Y.

Huh, now that I think about it, Carbinks situation is really dire; it's never gonna get a mega evolution and, quite possibly, never evolve because of its relation to Diancie.
I mean, I hope I'm proven wrong, but that just sucks for the little guy...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Huh, now that I think about it, Carbinks situation is really dire; it's never gonna get a mega evolution and, quite possibly, never evolve because of its relation to Diancie.
I mean, I hope I'm proven wrong, but that just sucks for the little guy...
While alike (and related), both play differently and I imagine Mega Carbink would be very defensive (afterall, every Queen needs a guard/retainer).

On the subject of ORAS, why is it so easy?

Or, more specifically, why did they want to copy RS so heavily without incorporating much of E? Where's the level 19 Makuhita with Vital Throw that was such a bitch to take down? Why can you sweep Tate and Liza by clicking Surf once? Why did they keep having certain opponents only have three moves on their mons (excluding the first rival battle)? And why did they refuse to account for the fact that they are literally handing you a Legendary and its Mega Evolution and telling you to use it--while you can get the other Eon and then the Soul Dew almost immediately after provided you at any point just happened to be within fifty feet of another 3DS that has played ORAS?

Rant over, sorry. It's just that third versions exist for a reason, and GameFreak has this habit of largely ignoring them with their remakes.

It's just that third versions exist for a reason, and GameFreak has this habit of largely ignoring them with their remakes.
Really? I disagree as only one out of three have:
FireRed and LeafGreen: there isn't much difference between Red and Green and their third version, Blue. And those differences pretty much became standard (mostly catch rate changes).
HeartGold and SoulSilver: Quite a bit of Crystal made it into these games: the Unown Dex (kinda), the whole Suicune subplot (though modified so that Ho-Oh and Lugia still have their major role), female player character (though, just like I said with FRLG, that's standard since it was introduced), and they even put the Battle Frontier where the very first Battle Tower was, which was introduced in Crystal.
Really, only Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire had anything to forget that was more noticeable or needed that was added or fixed in Emerald.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's just that third versions exist for a reason, and GameFreak has this habit of largely ignoring them with their remakes.
Really? I disagree as only one out of three have:
FireRed and LeafGreen: there isn't much difference between Red and Green and their third version, Blue. And those differences pretty much became standard (mostly catch rate changes).
HeartGold and SoulSilver: Quite a bit of Crystal made it into these games: the Unown Dex (kinda), the whole Suicune subplot (though modified so that Ho-Oh and Lugia still have their major role), female player character (though, just like I said with FRLG, that's standard since it was introduced), and they even put the Battle Frontier where the very first Battle Tower was, which was introduced in Crystal.
Really, only Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire had anything to forget that was more noticeable or needed that was added or fixed in Emerald.
And that's the problem right there. HGSS had loads of stuff from Crystal (and while FRLG may not had anything to take from its third version (though would have been neat if they added in some stuff from Yellow like a Jessie & James cameo or had allowed some Pokemon to follow you) they did add back in a cut location: The Sevii Islands.

But ORAS? Okay, I understand Emerald's story is too different from Ruby & Sapphire so you couldn't combine the too (which is fine, at the core its the same story anyway) but there were plenty of features they could have put in. Battle Frontier, Mirage Tower, Trainer Hill, Altering Cave, Rebattlable Gym Leaders (they're even on the notable trainer tab in the AreaNav), and include Juan somewhere (like maybe have it after the Delta Episode that Steven decides to spend more time on his studies so give the Champion title to Wallace. Now Wallace is battled at the Pokemon League, Steven is in Meteor Falls, and Juan is in Sootopolis Gym).

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
"It ran away!"
Well thanks for telling me that DexNav, do you have any idea where it went? Oh, I get it, it ran off towards the "mountains" like that Snorlax in XY. Well, that makes sense.
(For those of you who don't know what this is, it appears when you're looking for hidden Pokémon in caves/route 111's desert. The Pokémon there stay around for a few seconds, then inexplicably teleport a few tiles away, and if the new spot is a certain distance from the player, then they "run away". I don't even know.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 11, Guests: 34)