Other Looking Ahead to Gen VI Mark II (SEE POSTS #818 & #858)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do you guys think of honedge's typing, with the new changes to steel? :/

I guess thanks to steel not resisting ghost, it has a better offensive typing now, but a Steel/Ghost still isn't what we hyped it to be anymore

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So what do you guys think of honedge's typing, with the new changes to steel? :/

I guess thanks to steel not resisting ghost, it has a better offensive typing now, but a Steel/Ghost still isn't what we hyped it to be anymore
It's still decent. I mean, it still has a ton of useful resistances and two amazing immunities. On top of that, it can beat the Fairy-type if it gets a good Steel-type move, so even with its new Dark and Ghost-type weakness, it now gained a huge edge (no pun intended) over the Fairy-type, which is something to keep in mind, seeing as it will probably be one of the more dominating types next generation.

Would steel/fairy be good defensive typing? immunity to poison, neutral to fighting and steel. The combo mostly restores Steels defensive typing (except for ghost) and gives it a few new things as well. I'd kinda like to see what a Steel/Fairy would look like though.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Hey guys.....

252 SpA Alakazam Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 132-156 (32.67 - 38.61%) -- 3.91% chance to 3HKO

That's a super effective hit on Jirachi. Looks like Alakazam still wont be beating it next generation. Remember, Alakazam runs Signal Beam to beat Celebi because normally with Shadow Ball, Celebi can easily stall out Zam or cripple it. So how does this make it any different for Jirachi? Sure you can deal MORE damage to Jirachi, but now you wont be able to beat Celebi OR Jirachi.

I'm still going to use Signal Beam next generation lol. At least I can still beat Celebi.
rofl weakness. On the other hand, im not expecting jirachi to be sp def at all next gen, not now that it seems like scarf or bandtar can take a crap on a ton of steel types w/o the actual use of superpower. Im inclining for Shadow ball for the most part, i guess i exxagerated when i said there would be no reason for signal beam.

This reminds me that celebi might be changed to a fairy-type.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I wish I could say 'Fuck you GF' and walk away with that, but it would do no good for the discussion.

I believe the Steel nerf is pretty stupid, and that Fairy is way too damn good right now. While not directly, Fighting also got nerfed due to Fairy type even existing, although not as heavily as Steel was. Not really liking any of these changes to be honest, and I'm still trying to make sense out of Fairy being immune to Dragon from a logical standpoint. Got nothing, though.
Which nerf? Steel-types received a resistance to one of the best attacking types (Fairy) as well as the ability to hit Fairy-types super effectively with their STABs. They may lost two resistances (one of which is almost irrelevant anyway) but the ability to combat Fairy-types is a much more important thing. And don't forget that most Steel-types are weak to moves that Ghost and Dark moves are commonly paired with, such as Fighting and Fire, meaning that most Steel-types weren't really good checks for Dark and Ghost-moves anyway. Of 'course the Psychic / Steel pokes are another story, but Steel in general wasn't nerfed.

Steel + Ghost gives perfect neutral coverage in the current OU. If Honedge gets Shadow Sneak, Swords Dance, a good Attack sta, and decent physical Ghost- and Steel-type moves then i think it has a lot of offensive potential.

Any ghost or dark that can take out check Ferrothorn?
I'm not sure what you mean by this but Ferro no longer resists Dark or Ghost, so it may not be as big a deal anymore.

Here's hoping Jirachi gets the Fairy/Steel retcon rather than Celebi.

Last edited:

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Gengar... with Sball... tanked only by Dark... and he has focus blast...
If Gengar get a MegaEvolution it became in top of usage stats, i'm sure xD

I'm just sad that Ice get no boosts and more importantly Water get no nerfs, seriously Water is now the single most OP type IMO, between great neutral coverage, ridiculously good moves (Hydro Pump, Scald), good set of resistances with few weaknesses and a weather to make things even more ridiculous, Water deserved a nerf much more than Fighting (which at least had something immune to it).

Ice resisting it would be great and make perfect sense, but no it seems GF just freaking loves Water.

Just got home from school... looks like I missed some discussion!
Updated the OP with the following information:

Fairy Type:
Strengths (SE against opposing): Fighting, Dark, Dragon
Weakness: Fire, Poison, Steel,
Resists: Fighting, Bug, Dark
Immunities: Dragon

Also, Steel no longer resits Ghost and Dark type attacks!

Last edited:
Jirachi is definitely what stands out to me based on this new type chart. It's now pursuit weak, gengar hits it super effective. Jirachi is weaker now, although it's almost certainly still OU material; that calc from Gary definitely shows that Jirachi can hold its own(it's an un-STAB, super effective Shadow Ball, but i mean its from alakazam, so that's still something.).

My favorite Pokemon, Gengar, getting a big boost! It only has to use Focus Blast for Darks. Aww yeee

I really don't get why so many of you behave as if Fairies are something huge and will greatly affect other types.

All Fairies we know so far are bad, mediocre or decent at best. It's better to use Ice Beam/Ice Punch vs Dragons because x4 > STAB x2.
Look at their designs, descriptions and abilities. Spritzee and Swirlix look more like mid-tier support than big threats. Dedenne is just obligatory Pikachu clone, they're never good. Flabebe... most likely something like Jumpluff or Bellossom. Gardevoir will die to physical attacks (same with possible Blissey), Azumarill and Sylveon are painfully slow (also, Azu's better off using Ice Punch so he won't be using Fairy moves).
They're supposed to stop Dragons (and Fighting to a lesser extent) - I ask how? Dragons have huge BSTs, they'll survive single Fairy move, they're faster and will 2hko with coverage/secondary STABs. Multiscale Dragonite can probably set up on them. Fighting types are so powerful they'll 2hko through resistance. Not to mention all so common Steels will make sure no Fairy will dare to show its head in OU.

I personally think Steel rebalance or megas will affect the metagame much more than Fairy type as a whole.

I really don't get why so many of you behave as if Fairies are something huge and will greatly affect other types.

All Fairies we know so far are bad, mediocre or decent at best. It's better to use Ice Beam/Ice Punch vs Dragons because x4 > STAB x2.
Look at their designs, descriptions and abilities. Spritzee and Swirlix look more like mid-tier support than big threats. Dedenne is just obligatory Pikachu clone, they're never good. Flabebe... most likely something like Jumpluff or Bellossom. Gardevoir will die to physical attacks (same with possible Blissey), Azumarill and Sylveon are painfully slow (also, Azu's better off using Ice Punch so he won't be using Fairy moves).
They're supposed to stop Dragons (and Fighting to a lesser extent) - I ask how? Dragons have huge BSTs, they'll survive single Fairy move, they're faster and will 2hko with coverage/secondary STABs. Multiscale Dragonite can probably set up on them. Fighting types are so powerful they'll 2hko through resistance. Not to mention all so common Steels will make sure no Fairy will dare to show its head in OU.

I personally think Steel rebalance or megas will affect the metagame much more than Fairy type as a whole.
No one here is suggesting that the currently revealed Fairies are stopping dragons. They are first stages; that much should be obvious. It is also obvious that GF will introduce some competitively viable Fairy types this gen as well as retcons of old pokemon (think Milotic, Mismagius). It would be foolish to pretend that a type that single-handedly resists Fighting, Bug, Dark, and is immune to Dragon without being weak to ANY of their commonly run coverage moves won't have a large impact on the metagame. Offensive Fairy just happens to be the tits, too.

Saw the dragon nerf coming. Depending on if any fairy types are viable (I'm sure we will have a few) days of slapping on a choice item and spamming outrage or draco meteor are going to be less frequent- since a fairy can now get a free turn/force a switch with it's immunity.

Saw the dragon nerf coming. Depending on if any fairy types are viable (I'm sure we will have a few) days of slapping on a choice item and spamming outrage or draco meteor are going to be less frequent- since a fairy can now get a free turn/force a switch with it's immunity.
This is actually something I haven't thought about for a while, but it's a really good point. The simple existence of Fairies is really going to reduce the viability of stuff like Scarf MoxieMence, and choiced Latios. Hell, depending on how the mechanics work, Fairy types could really abuse Outrage. For example: Dragon type X kills something with Outrage. You bring in your Fairy type, the Dragon user is forced to stay in and Outrage again while you set up. I presume the immunity would allow the Dragon user to switch the next turn, but even then, Outrage could potentially give the Fairy user two free turns of set-up.

That's all conjecture, but if true, Outrage - once one of the best moves in the game - could (maybe) become a bit of a liability.

Gardevoir may die to physical attacks, but it can still take Hydrei (who was otherwise buffed with the changes) and the Lati@s. Azumarill loves the immunity and resistances added, even if she doesn't get a physical Fairy move. We also have no idea if and/or what some of these will evolve into.

In a word, all dragons suddenly have four moveslot syndrome. "STAB and DD are obligatory... What do I run of EQ, Fire Punch, and Poison Jab?" They face the same conundrum of choosing what beats them like nearly every other pokemon.

I do agree that megas will have a bigger impact, but don't sell Fairies short.

Looking over some of this new information, I'm thinking that Scizor is going to be really prominent next gen (shocking, I know). It's Bullet Punch is going to be more valuable than ever now that it can hit Fairy types for super effective damage, which is critical when you consider that Fairy, if I have my information correct, is only weak to Poison and Steel, two very rare offensive types. That Scizor commonly uses a very powerful, priority Steel type attack is going to be a blessing once Fairies are released. Not to mention, it can now Pursuit even more pokemon than before thanks to the Steel nerf, including threats like Jirachi and potentially Honedge. Technically, it got nerfed as well by the Dark/Ghost effectiveness, but as Scizor is an offensive pokemon and isn't gaining any weaknesses from it, it shouldn't be too bothered by it.

Now imagine if Scizor ends up getting a Mega Evolution...

so Fairy Steel is really good defensively.
Weak to only two types.
Resists NINE (one of them being a 1/4x)
Immune to two (one of them being Dragon)

if Jirachi is retyped to it...

Also with steel being nerfed, Skarmory isn't going to be too happy with that. Losing resistances is never a good thing for a defensive Pokemon, and I also enjoyed using swords dance + bullet punch Scizor, so those loss of resistances will also make set-up opportunities less available for that Pokemon.

They'll ban all mega stones, let's admit it ;[
Really, that depends on just how big a stat boost these Mega Stones give. For some pokemon, such as Mega Mawile, even a relatively small boost would be enough to possibly break it due to the amount of other buffs it's receiving, while others, like Mega Lucario, will need a significantly larger stat boost to make itself more viable than its original form, or even be viable at all (Ampharos). If the stat boost is huge for all Mega Evolutions, then banning the mega stones completely could happen. However, unless that is the case, there will definitely be some Mega Evolutions that just aren't as good as others.

If anything, Scizor seems like it will be better now with the additional coverage on Bullet Punch. Also, I think Rock/Ice is possibly the worst non-4x rock weak defensive type they could have made. It gets maimed by Bullet/Mach Punch, as if it wasn't bad enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)