Lopunny Discussion

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus

Lopunny is in many ways the Gen IV Whimsicott with it's unique ability in Klutz with exactly the right tools to abuse it. But unlike Whimsicott, there was never really any call for her Klutz talents and she fell into obscurity. 5th Gen hasn't been any more generous to the Rabbit Pokemon, but it did give her one new move that she can abuse and an extremely buffed Healing Wish, which is enough to give her yet another unique niche or two.

Base Stat Total: 480
/76/84/54/96/105

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance:
Immunity: Ghost

— Mirror Coat
Magic Coat
— Splash
— Pound
— Defense Curl
— Foresight
6 Endure
13 Return
16 Quick Attack
23 Jump Kick
26 Baton Pass
33 Agility
36 Dizzy Punch
43 After You
46 Charm
53 Entrainment
56 Bounce
63 Healing Wish

TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solarbeam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM28 Dig
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM47 Low Sweep
TM48 Round
TM52 Focus Blast
TM56 Fling
TM57 Charge Beam
TM67 Retaliate
TM68 Giga Impact
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM83 Work Up
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Rock Smash
HM01 Cut
HM04 Strength

*All move combinations are legal
Fake Tears
Fake Out
Encore
Sweet Kiss
Double Hit
Low Kick
Sky Uppercut
Switcheroo
Thunderpunch
Ice Punch
Fire Punch
Flail
Focus Punch
Circle Throw
Copycat

Water Pulse
Iron Tail
Shock Wave
Secret Power
Drain Punch
Captivate
Sleep Talk
Natural Gift
Fury Cutter
Helping Hand
Last Resort
Snore
Swift
Uproar
Endeavor
Mud-slap
Role Play
Heal Bell
Headbutt

Movesets:

Baton Pass Support
Lopunny (F) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Klutz
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Substitute / Heal Bell
- Encore
- Switcheroo

Vintage Lopunny here, packing a high speed Encore & Baton Pass, this set's goal is to allow another Pokemon to switch in via Subpassing and to cripple opponents with it's Flame Orb. Encore nets it free Subs by switching in and locking a Pokemon into Stealth Rock or a recovery move, letting it Baton Pass it's Sub freely.

Heal Bell is another support option if you need a cleric. Encore + Baton Pass make it a very tough set to go up against especially with the ability to heal away any status moves it may catch and give away a free Flame Orb while the opponent is helplessly stuck into a move.

Lopunny is underrated, but for good reason. She's still very unpredictable and can absolutely ruin teams with Flame Orb, Lagging Tail, or whatever you can think of. Her movepool is as long as her ears, so try everything you can.

I've always loved Lopunny as a support Pokemon, and she's definitely different to other underused Normal types such as jack-of-al-trades Wigglytuff and Dual Screens Audino. I love her Switcheroo set, and if it works she can pave the way for a clean set up of her teammates, notable candidates including Cresselia, Swords Dance Slash, Baton Passers like Ariados, Venomoth and Masquerain, Shell Smashers and even such oddballs as Curse Amnesia Torkoal. Her main problems are puny Defense and a huge Taunt weakness, and she is very prone to being switched on, nixing her Encores or even ending in a pass to a Fire type or Guts user such as Swellow.
However, her Defenses are decently balanced and her Speed can often get off a fast Encore or fast Switcheroo. She's underused and overlooked, but I've used that exact same set (maybe different EVs) to great success, paving the way to Lilligangt, Cresselia, Masquerain and Shelgon sweeps.
I'd say that analysis is a prime contender for the official analysis!

Also, what about a CB variant? It's gimmicky but can be used to great success~

Adamant/Jolly@Choice Band
Cute Charm/DW ability (IDK)
-Return
-Ice Punch
-Thunderpunch
-Low Sweep/Jump Kick/Drain Punch

Its physical movepool is pretty barren, though...

Mirror Coat also deserves a mention for unexpected KOes on Yanmega and friends~

252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP (opt for a more defensive spread if you wish but she really needs all the Attack she can get)

I really like lopunny, and I'm going to try her out soon as I'm about to join RU. One thing i remeber from gen 4 was that she could always annoy the mess out of anything and get me the victories I needed through revenging, healing a team mate with healing wish, or just annoying her opponents with charm/ switcheroo.

Would a switcheroo/klutz with like toxic orb or something else hindering make a good counter to Spec Yanmega? switch items and laugh? It has a nice Sp.Def so it might work.

Would a switcheroo/klutz with like toxic orb or something else hindering make a good counter to Spec Yanmega? switch items and laugh? It has a nice Sp.Def so it might work.
If anything a CB/Lagging Tail would be best if you want to cripple something like Mega, and it is usually outclassed by Flame Orb in usefulness. It probably deserves a mention nonetheless (imo).

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
CB Lopunny is pretty much outclassed by Tauros, Sawsbuck, Bouffalant, Cincinno, Persian, Ambipom, Swellow, Braviary, Dodrio... and a bunch of non normal-types as well. 76 Attack isn't enough to work with. The whole point of lopunny is to annoy the opponent, and running an attacking set on it is a waste of a teamslot.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I believe the point of CB would be for Klutz Switcheroo. It is not going to be sweeping anytime soon, but it could screw up a wall or special sweeper.

CB Lopunny is pretty much outclassed by Tauros, Sawsbuck, Bouffalant, Cincinno, Persian, Ambipom, Swellow, Braviary, Dodrio... and a bunch of non normal-types as well. 76 Attack isn't enough to work with. The whole point of lopunny is to annoy the opponent, and running an attacking set on it is a waste of a teamslot.
.... Klutz......

I agree with Nails in that it's completely pointless to use any sort of attacking set on Lopunny, even with Tricking Choice items to anyone. You would much rather want to hit shit hard with Tauros or Boufallant. With Lopunny, even if you trick something to someone, Lopunny becomes a dead weight afterwards, it's literally not doing anything at all with its Attack stat. Running full support with Lopunny is the way to go, her wide support movepool is just too good to even consider attacking moves. Problem with fast Taunt users? Magic Coat. Need a cleric? Heal Bell. Chansey? Trick her a Scarf and switch out, because Lopunny sure isn't doing anything. I could go on forever, but the point is that if you're running offense on Lopunny, you're doing it wrong.

Um may I ask why the copycat circle throw set that you had up earlier wouldn't work? I mean it worked in this video so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PN6MGzmvJk
1. Because he's Pimpnite, you're not. Can we please stop these ideas of "I saw this (EDIT) famous Youtuber do it, why can't I?"

BECAUSE VERY FEW OF THESE PEOPLE ACTUALLY PLAY WITHOUT GIMMICKY STUFF.

2. Where is Lopunny? This is 6 minutes of DW Riolu being a troll against a really bad opponent. If you're going to prove a point with a link, at this give us the right one >.>

EDIT: @Amarillo, I took the TwilightWings comment the exact opposite way. Derp ^^;

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Waterwarrior, it's not about 'can I pull it off' but more of the game mechanics. He's assuming that if you can Copycat roar, then you can also copycat Circle Throw--a natural assumption. The thing is, you can't copycat Circle Throw nor Dragon Tail, but you can copycat Roar or Whirlwind. This means that you'll have to use roar then Copycat away. Sadly, Lopunny doesn't learn Roar, so it can't copycat its own roar. In fact the only things with access to Copycat + Roar is Riolu, Lucario, and Smeargle. Gamefreak thought things out beforehand.

No personal attacks required. I mean, if the mechanic was that way, and you could copycat Circle throw, then it might work against a bad player. But it 'doesn't work' because the game doesn't let you, not because it's a poor gimmick.

Waterwarrior, it's not about 'can I pull it off' but more of the game mechanics. He's assuming that if you can Copycat roar, then you can also copycat Circle Throw--a natural assumption. The thing is, you can't copycat Circle Throw nor Dragon Tail, but you can copycat Roar or Whirlwind. This means that you'll have to use roar then Copycat away. Sadly, Lopunny doesn't learn Roar, so it can't copycat its own roar. In fact the only things with access to Copycat + Roar is Riolu, Lucario, and Smeargle. Gamefreak thought things out beforehand.

No personal attacks required. I mean, if the mechanic was that way, and you could copycat Circle throw, then it might work against a bad player. But it 'doesn't work' because the game doesn't let you, not because it's a poor gimmick.
Sorry I didn't know that circle throw couuldn't be copycat'd. Wow I feel kinda stupid now xD (I can live with it of course but still.)

WaterWarrior didn't have to be such a jerk about it though... just trying to help a cause.

I'm really sorry about that misunderstanding, I just hate people that say "I saw this rarely-seen-epically-gimmicky set used by people like Haydunn, whose job it is to do that kind of stuff, so why can't I pull it off." It was not a personal attack at all, and I misunderstood your comment as well, I didn't think you meant why can't I replace Roar with Circle Throw. That strategy is still screwed by by Protect and other priority though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)