Lucario [4N]-Mixed Sweeper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having used Lucario for many battles, and there are many variations of Luke. But I rarely see a mixed one as it usually leans towards Atk. and Sp. Atk. So i want to attack on both spectrums so i get a surprise factor.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lucario

[Set: Mixed Sweeper]
Name: Sub-Mixed Sweeper
move1: Substitute
move2: Shadow Ball
Move3: Cross Chop/Close Combat
move4: Ice Punch
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Steadfast
Nature: Rash (+Sp.A -Sp.D)
Evs: 12 hp/ 164 Sp. Atk/ 240 Atk./92 Speed

[Set Comments]

<p>Lucario's sets don't often utilize both special, physical moves and substitute. However with substitute eases predication and can easily take out more of its common threats. Also blocks status moves that can easily demolish it. <p>

<p>Substitute eases prediction and it blocks out pesky status moves and it can easily give Lucario a "second life". Cross Chop is preferred over Close Combat because a defense drop can allow something that wouldn't normally break a sub break it. Ice Punch is to deal with Ground-types and dragons. Shadow Ball deals with Psychics and ghost who Lucario might have trouble with.

<p> Steadfast is preferred over Inner Focus because a speed boost over a immunity is better as it can improve Lucario's rather sluggish speed. The ev's allotted gives Lucario a hp divisible by four if it has 0 ivs to hp. 164 Sp. Atk makes it 337 sp. a which off of Shadow Ball which not many pokes resist can pack a punch. 240 Atk gives it 316 atk and even a neutral Cross Chop/ Close Combat can smack something really hard.

<p> Since this set heavily relies on substitute, Lucario seriously enjoys dual screens in order to take blows, but Lucario's various resistances also helps this. Will-O-Wisp and Paralysis aids Lucario's sweep and substitutes. However, Lucario's speed is only DECENT! Cressilia is a very good defensive partner to Lucario with Dual Screens and Lunar Dance which aids in Lucario's substitute. Vapereon is also a good defensive partner to Lucario since it can pass wishes and takes alot of Lucario's weakness.

I would suggest HP Fire as a possible 4th move. As of now, this set has big trouble taking on Pokemon such as Skarmory and Forretress, and Scizor to a lesser degree. SD Luc doesn't worry about these because a Life Orb Adamant +2 scratches an OHKO after Stealth Rock. This Rash Leftovers Lucario will be doing,

Specially Defensive Skarm
240 Rash Lucario Close Combat
vs. 252/4 Impish Leftovers Skarmory : 118 - 139 35.3% - 41.6%

Defensive Skarm
vs. 252/176 Impish Shed Shell Skarmory : 103 - 123 30.8% - 36.8%

Defensive Forretress
vs. 252/144 Relaxed Shed Shell Forretress : 106 - 126 29.9% - 35.6%

Specially Defensive Forretress
vs. 252/144 Careful Shed Shell Forretress : 116 - 138 32.8% - 39%

Here are HP Fire Calcs:

Specially Defensive Skarm
164 Rash Lucario (70bp Fire Special)
vs. 252/252 Impish Leftovers Skarmory : 142 - 168 42.5% - 50.3%

Defensive Skarm
164 Rash Lucario (70bp Fire Special)
vs. 252/0 Impish Shed Shell Skarmory : 192 - 228 57.5% - 68.3%

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Having used Lucario for many battles, and there are many variations of Luke. But I rarely see a mixed one as it usually leans towards Atk. and Sp. Atk. So i want to attack on both spectrums so i get a surprise factor.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lucario

[SET NAME: Sub-Mixed Sweeper] (What were you thinking, putting "Set" and "Name" on different lines even though they said the same thing?)
move1: Substitute
move2: Shadow Ball
move3: Cross Chop (add a space before and after the slash, uncapitalize [M]ove3, and unbold Cross Chop) / Close Combat
move4: Ice Punch
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Steadfast
Nature: Rash (+Sp.A -Sp.D)
Evs: 12 HP / 164 Sp. Atk/ 240 Atk. / 92 Speed (more spaces, hp is capped)

[Set Comments]

<p>Lucario's sets don't often utilize both special and physical moves, but this set brings all of Lucario's assets together. (reworded, the rest of this paragraph said the same thing as the paragraph below)<p>

<p>Substitute eases prediction and (take out 'it') blocks out pesky status moves, all while blocking powerful hits. (Lucario isn't Gengar, it doesn't need a 2nd life as much. And "2nd life" is already used bro). </p>

(INDENT)

</p> For a powerful STAB move, Cross Chop is preferred over Close Combat because a defense drop can allow something that wouldn't normally break a sub break it (don't understand this; players won't use a move that can't break a Sub.) To compliment the Fighting move, Ice Punch deals with Ground-Types and Dragons. Shadow Ball deals with Psychics and Ghosts, notably Rotom-H and Gengar, who Lucario might have trouble with. </p>

<p> Steadfast is preferred over Inner Focus because a speed boost over an immunity is better when it can improve Lucario's less-than-perfect speed (you're calling something with 95 Base Speed slow). The EV's allotted gives Lucario a hp divisible by four if it has 0 ivs to hp. 164 Sp. Atk makes it 337 Special Attack for a more powerful punch behind Shadow Ball (didn't understand this sentence). 240 Atk gives it 316 Atk and even a neutral Cross Chop / Close Combat can smack something really hard.

<p> Since this set heavily relies on Substitute, Lucario seriously enjoys Dual Screens in order to take blows, but Lucario's various resistances also helps this. Will-O-Wisp and Paralysis aids Lucario's sweep and substitutes. (earlier you said it was sluggish, so I took out the "Decent speed" sentence) Cresselia (misspelled) is a very good defensive partner to Lucario with Dual Screens, Thunder Wave, (how did you forget Thunder Wave when you explained how good Paralysis is?) and Lunar Dance which aids in Lucario's Substitutes. Lucario can also take weaker Ghost and Dark attacks aimed at Cresselia. Vapereon is also a good defensive partner to Lucario since it can pass Wishes and can take hits of Lucario's weakness.
Messy overall and I didn't think it was a good set. You could easily replace Shadow Ball with Crunch and pour the Sp.A EVs to Speed to make a "Substitute Attacker." Additionally, this is outclassed by both the Swords Dance and Specs sets.

Additionally, I like how a Fighting-Type Pokemon with Substitute doesn't have Focus Punch on it's set or even in the comments.

First off, the paragraphs need to end with </p>, but I'm sure you just forgot to do that. Secondly, there are a lot a grammatical errors here (capitalizing attack moves and stats (SpA, SAtk, etc), awkward sentences and use of punctuation). Finally, the set itself seems to be outclassed by Infernape due to its Speed, STAB options and movepool. Giving some mention of how a mixed Lucario differs from the monkey would be great.

Also, Focus Punch should be the primary Fighting STAB with Close Combat listed in the set comments if one chooses to use this Lucario later in the game. Lucario has so many other items it could be using instead of Leftovers; Expert Belt, Black Belt, Life Orb and a Lum Berry are all options that can be mentioned in the set comments at least.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This analysis is so flawed that I'm locking this. First of all, the writing is lackluster and informal. You don't explain why Lucario is using Shadow Ball over Crunch. Finally, this set is really slow, I can't see this set sweeping if it even speedties with neutral base 70s that max their Speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)