[2015] Machamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

When you look at Machamp, you might struggle to find a reason to use it over Conkeldurr, which has higher Attack and access to Mach Punch. However, Machamp has the ability No Guard combined with Dynamic Punch, which lets it confuse its target without fail. Machamp does, however, still have quite a few problems. Its Speed is very mediocre, meaning Machamp struggles to outspeed key threats even under Tailwind, though it is rather solid for Trick Room. It is also weak to Fairy, one of the best offensive types in the metagame. While It does have a solid Attack stat and somewhat good natural bulk, it can still struggle to do anything due to its poor defensive typing and its Speed, often leaving it vulnerable to attacks from both opposing Pokemon before it can make a move.

[SET]
name: Dynamic Punch Tank
move 1: Dynamic Punch
move 2: Wide Guard
move 3: Stone Edge / Ice Punch / Knock Off
move 4: Protect / Ice Punch / Knock Off
item: Lum Berry / Sitrus Berry
ability: No Guard
nature: Adamant / Brave
evs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dynamic Punch is boosted by STAB and confuses its target, and thanks to No Guard, it is not held back by its low accuracy. Wide Guard shields Machamp and its teammate from spread attacks. Stone Edge lets Machamp deal super effective damage to most Flying-types, such as Thundurus and Mega Charizard Y. Alternatively, Ice Punch allows Machamp to deal with Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Mega Salamence, while Knock Off provides utility as well as coverage for Psychic- and Ghost-types. Protect is a staple in VGC and lets Machamp guard itself from unnecessary hits and double targeting.

Set Details
========

This EV spread combined with an Adamant nature makes Machamp a hard-hitting tank. 252 HP and 68 Defense EVs make Machamp capable of surviving a Double-Edge from neutral-natured Mega Kangaskhan even without a Sitrus Berry. With 188 Attack EVs, Machamp is able to OHKO 4 HP Mega Kangaskhan with Dynamic Punch. A Brave nature is used when running Machamp in Trick Room, which is one of the better ways to use it, and must also be used in tandem with a 0 Speed IV. No Guard lets Machamp connect all its moves. Lum Berry lets Machamp ignore status once, while Sitrus Berry provides one-time recovery to heal Machamp back to a more comfortable amount of HP after taking a heavy hit. Safety Goggles also gets a mention for allowing Machamp to ignore powder moves, mainly Spore and Rage Powder, both of which can be an annoyance for it.

Usage Tips
========

Always keep in mind that when you are using Dynamic Punch, you are effectively halving the foe's accuracy in addition to dealing solid damage. This means that going for Dynamic Punch is always a safe play to make, except if you expect your opponent to switch in a Ghost-type. Machamp is often a fairly good lead to cause chaos on the opposing team with confusion and potentially get rid of items with Knock Off, but you must also be careful leading with it if your opponent has a lot of Pokemon capable of easily KOing Machamp, as leading with Machamp then can cause it to be quickly knocked out.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate Wide Guard support such as Mega Charizard Y and Hydreigon are good partners for Machamp. In order to patch up its weakness to Flying-types, Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Thundurus also make for good teammates. Steel-types such as Heatran and Aegislash help Machamp by beating Fairy-types. Machamp also enjoys various kinds of speed control. Tailwind from Pokemon such as Suicune and Zapdos, as well as Thunder Wave from Thundurus or even Trick Room from Pokemon such as Cresselia and Jellicent, is great for letting Machamp outspeed the foe and confuse them with Dynamic Punch before they get to make a move.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An Assault Vest set is a somewhat viable option for Machamp, as it provides better special bulk, although Conkeldurr does this job better. Bullet Punch gives Machamp a form of priority and is helpful for picking off weakened foes, although it is really weak. Quick Guard allows Machamp to block priority attacks, which is helpful against Prankster users such as Liepard and Thundurus. Sadly, it is not that helpful against Fake Out, because Quick Guard and Fake Out are in the same priority bracket, and Machamp's low Speed means that it will almost never outspeed a Fake Out user. Rock Slide is an option for dealing spread damage, but Stone Edge is mostly better because it deals a lot more damage to Thundurus and Zapdos.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-type Moves**: Flying-type moves from Pokemon such as Talonflame and Mega Salamence can OHKO or deal massive damage to Machamp before it can try to knock their users out.

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Gardevoir and Sylveon can OHKO Machamp or deal massive damage to Assault Vest variants with their STAB Hyper Voice. They can even go for Psychic or Psyshock if Machamp uses Wide Guard.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types are immune to Machamp's STAB type, and most hit back really hard. Knock Off makes Ghost-types less of a problem, but they can still pose a big threat.

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Mega Metagross can beat Machamp fairly easily with their Psychic-type STAB attacks. Although bulkier Pokemon like Cresselia might use two or three turns to knock out Machamp, Machamp will take longer to KO them, even with Knock Off.

**Redirection**: Redirection from Pokemon such as Clefairy and Amoonguss is a great way of dealing with Machamp, as it makes Machamp unable to spread confusion to all the opposing Pokemon or get KOs with its coverage moves.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Lowering Machamp's Attack through Intimidate from Pokemon such as Arcanine and Landorus-T or with burns from Pokemon such as Gengar and Rotom-W makes Machamp's damage output poor and leaves it with no other function than confusing the foe with Dynamic Punch.

[OVERVIEW]
  • Dynamic Punch is the only thing it got over Conkeldurr, which also outclasses Machamp by having access to Mach Punch
  • Bad speed tier, but decent for Trick Room
  • Good Attack and somewhat good natural bulk
  • Weak to Fairy, one of the best offensive types in the game
  • Can quickly struggle with getting to do much at all due to bad Speed and a rather poor defensive typing
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Dynamic Punch lets you confuse things
  • Wide Guard protects your team from spread attacks
  • Stone Edge gives you coverage for Flying-types
  • Ice Punch is coverage for Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Garchomp
  • Knock Off provides coverage for Ghost- and Psychic-types plus utility
  • Protect guards you from status and double targeting
Set Details
========

• The EV spread and Adamant nature makes Machamp a hard hitting tank, and more specifically snags the OHKO on 4 HP Mega Kangaskhan with Dynamic Punch plus lets you survive Jolly Double-Edge
  • Brave is for running it in Trick Room, for that you will also need 0 IVs in Speed
  • No Guard makes you never miss, and is what makes Dynamic Punch good
  • Lum Berry lets you avoid status
  • Sitrus gives you some instant one-time recovery
  • Safety Goggles is also an option to avoid Spore and Rage Powder, as well as avoiding taking residual damage from weather
Usage Tips
========

• When in doubt, Dynamic Punch! (I'll obviously make this sound more serious in the write up)
  • Machamp often good to use for leading and causing chaos on the opposing team with Dynamic Punch or knocking items off, however, think about if you actually want to lead it if your opponent has several Pokemom capable of KO'ing Machamp straight away.
Team Options
========

• Pokemon that appreciate Wide Guard support such as Mega Charizard Y, Mega Salamence, and Thundurus
  • Pokemon such as Thundurus and Rhyperior that can deal with Flying-types
  • Steel-types such as Heatran and Aegislash that can deal with Fairy-types
  • Tailwind support from Pokemon such as Suicune and Zapdos to make Machamp outspeed opposing Pokemon to hit them before they hit you. Also a plus to confuse opponents before they make a move
  • Trick Room setters such as Cresselia or Jellicent if you run it Brave
  • Thunder Wave support from Pokemon such as Thundurus also help Machamp by letting it move before the opponent, and also makes for some good parafusion
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Assault Vest
  • Bullet Punch
  • Quick Guard
  • Rock Slide
Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-type moves**: Flying-type moves from Pokemon such as Talonflame and Mega Salalmence can OHKO or deal masssive damage to Machamp before Machamp can try to knock them out (put this instead Flying-types in general because Zapdos and Thundurus and others without Flying-STAB don't threaten Machamp that much)

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Gardevoir and Sylveon can OHKO Machamp or deal massive damage to Assault Vest variants with their STAB Hyper Voice, or go for Psychic or Psyshock if Machamp uses Wide Guard

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types are immune to Machamp's STAB and most hit really hard back. Knock Off makes Ghost-types less of a problem, but they can stull pose a big threat

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Mega Metagross can beat Machamp fairly easily with their Psychic-STAB. Although bulkier Pokemon like Cresselia might use two or three turns on knocking out Machamp, Machamp will use longer on KO'ing them, even with Knock Off

**Redirection**: Redirection from Pokemon such as Clefairy and Amoonguss is a great way of dealing with Machamp, since they make Machamp unable to spread confusion to all the opposing Pokemon, or get KO's with it's coverage moves

**Lowering it's Attack**: Lowering Machamp's Attack through Intimidate from Pokemon such as Arcanine and Landorus-T or with burns from Pokemon such as Gengar and Rotom-H / -W makes Machamp's damage output poor and leaves it with no other function than confusing the opponent with Dynamic Punch

Last edited:
I'm not QC, obviously, but here are my thoughts:
  • Conkeldurr's access to Mach Punch is an important reason to use it over Machamp, and may be worth noting in the overview. It goes a long way in alleviating issues with it's speed tier.
  • I disagree that Machamp is too fast to function under Trick Room, in fact, I think it works well in it. There are plenty of viable Trick Room attackers that are faster (Tyranitar, Sylveon, Aegislash, Jellicent, Chandelure etc...). I'd go as far as to suggest Brave be slashed alongside Adamant on the main set.
  • Probably worth mentioning, when you're talking about speed control like Tailwind, that Dynamic Punch synergises well with it. Confusing an opponent before they can move adds a lot of value to the attack.
  • Under Fairy-types in Checks and Counters: exclusively stating Hyper Voice as a reason Gardevoir and Sylveon counter Machamp might be misleading given that the main set features Wide Guard. Gardevoir can also 1HKO Machamp with Psychic, and Sylveon can, at minimum, 2HKO with Psyshock.

I'm not QC, obviously, but here are my thoughts:
  • Conkeldurr's access to Mach Punch is an important reason to use it over Machamp, and may be worth noting in the overview. It goes a long way in alleviating issues with it's speed tier.
  • I disagree that Machamp is too fast to function under Trick Room, in fact, I think it works well in it. There are plenty of viable Trick Room attackers that are faster (Tyranitar, Sylveon, Aegislash, Jellicent, Chandelure etc...). I'd go as far as to suggest Brave be slashed alongside Adamant on the main set.
  • Probably worth mentioning, when you're talking about speed control like Tailwind, that Dynamic Punch synergises well with it. Confusing an opponent before they can move adds a lot of value to the attack.
  • Under Fairy-types in Checks and Counters: exclusively stating Hyper Voice as a reason Gardevoir and Sylveon counter Machamp might be misleading given that the main set features Wide Guard. Gardevoir can also 1HKO Machamp with Psychic, and Sylveon can, at minimum, 2HKO with Psyshock.
Implemented that, forgot about Mach Punch on Conk and Hyper Voice getting blocked by Wide Guard when I wrote this, have zero idea about how I let that slip. Thanks for the feedback :)

Probably worth mentioning, when you're talking about speed control like Tailwind, that Dynamic Punch synergises well with it. Confusing an opponent before they can move adds a lot of value to the attack.
I'm not QC either but I feel like this point is worth expanding on, especially with regards to Thunder Wave. I know you've already mentioned Thundurus as a partner but I feel like it should be emphasized more. Thunder Wave is really nice support for Machamp allowing it to outspeed pretty much anything not immune and Parafusion is pretty legit when it's attached to a 150 BP Fighting type move.

I'm not QC either but I feel like this point is worth expanding on, especially with regards to Thunder Wave. I know you've already mentioned Thundurus as a partner but I feel like it should be emphasized more. Thunder Wave is really nice support for Machamp allowing it to outspeed pretty much anything not immune and Parafusion is pretty legit when it's attached to a 150 BP Fighting type move.
Thanks for the input :) Implemented a part about Thunder Wave support in team options.

add ghosts, landog, metagross, cresselia, redirection, and burns from arcanine, rotom, gengar, etc to checks/counters.

remove earthquake and choice scarf from OO. scarf is bad since we have better options now (it doesn't even ohko lando at -1... don't have any calculations, but i bet it doesn't with jolly AND it can't outspeed scarftar). EQ is a bad option as well.

imo, you can go ahead and move saftey goggles up to set comments. assault vest stays though since then it'll be a worse hariyama/scrafty/conkledurr

after that qc 1/2

add ghosts, landog, metagross, cresselia, redirection, and burns from arcanine, rotom, gengar, etc to checks/counters.

remove earthquake and choice scarf from OO. scarf is bad since we have better options now (it doesn't even ohko lando at -1... don't have any calculations, but i bet it doesn't with jolly AND it can't outspeed scarftar). EQ is a bad option as well.

imo, you can go ahead and move saftey goggles up to set comments. assault vest stays though since then it'll be a worse hariyama/scrafty/conkledurr

after that qc 1/2
Did most of it, except Lando-T. Could you maybe elaborate on why you want it for c&c? EQ 3HKO's the current Machamp spread, and Ice Punch is near an OHKO on Lando-T.

When I wrote this I had a bit of a braincramp for C&C, mainly because I was debating with myself how important the confusion from Dynamic Punch was, so I wasn't sure about whether to add stuff that loses to Machamp w/confusion hax on its side.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2
[OVERVIEW]

When you look at Machamp, you might struggle to find a reason to use Machamp it over Conkeldurr. Conkeldurr, which has higher Attack, (RC) and access to Mach Punch. However, Machamp has the ability No Guard combined with Dynamic Punch, which lets it confuse its target opponent every time it uses Dynamic Punch. Machamp does, (AC) however, (AC) still have quite a few problems. Its Speed is very mediocre, as it meaning Machamp struggles to outspeed key threats even under Tailwind, but though it is rather solid for Trick Room. It is also weak to Fairy, one of the best offensive types in the metagame. It does have a solid Attack stat and somewhat good natural bulk, but it can still struggle to do anything due to its poor defensive typing and its Speed, often leaving it vulnerable to attacks from both opposing Pokemon before it can make a move.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dynamic Punch is boosted by STAB and also confuses its target, and thanks to No Guard it is not held back by its low accuracy (ya ok sorry for writing that last part but i feel like it's worth a mention?) provides a nice chance of confusion. Wide Guard shields allows Machamp and its teammate to be guarded from spread attacks. Stone Edge lets Machamp deal super effective damage to most Flying-types, such as Thundurus and Mega Charizard Y. Ice Punch allows Machamp to deal with Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Mega Salamence. Knock Off provides utility as well as coverage for Psychic- and Ghost-types. Protect is a staple in VGC and lets Machamp guard itself from unnecessary hits and double targeting.

Set Details
========

This EV spread combined with an Adamant nature makes Machamp a hard-hitting tank. 252 HP and 68 Defense EVs make Machamp capable of surviving a Double-Edge from neutral-natured Mega Kangaskhan even without a Sitrus Berry. With 188 Attack EVs, (AC) happens to be the number where Machamp is able to OHKOes 4 HP Mega Kangaskhan with Dynamic Punch. A Brave nature is used when for running Machamp in Trick Room, which is one of the better ways to use it, and must also be used in tandem with a 0 Speed IVs. No Guard is the chosen Ability, letting lets Machamp connect with all its moves. Lum Berry lets Machamp ignore status once, and Sitrus Berry provides one-time recovery to heal Machamp back to a more comfortable amount of HP after taking a heavy hit. Safety Goggles also gets a mention for allowing Machamp to ignore powder moves, mainly Spore and Rage Powder, both of which can be an annoyance for Machamp.

Usage Tips
========

When using Machamp, aAlways keep in mind that when you are using Dynamic Punch, you are effectively halving the foe's your foes accuracy (ehhhh i don't really like that way of saying it...will leave it up to you though) in addition to dealing solid damage. Use this to your advantage, and always keep it mind when thinking about risk versus reward. You can't really lose anything when going for Dynamic Punch, opposed to when using Swagger, since you will still deal damage, so g (the previous all seemed kind of... vague or irrelevant, sorry :( i feel like you can just skip to the next part) This means that going for Dynamic Punch is always a safe play to make, except if you expect your opponent to switch in a Ghost-type. Machamp is often a fairly good lead to cause chaos on the opposing team with confusion, (RC) and potentially getting rid of items with Knock Off, but you must also be careful with leading with it if your opponent has a lot of Pokemon capable of easily KOing Machamp, as since leading with Machamp then can cause it to be quickly knocked out.

Team Options
========

Machamp's access to Wide Guard makes Pokemon that appreciate Wide Guard support such as Mega Charizard Y and Hydreigon are good partners for Machamp. In order to patch up its weakness to Flying-types, Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Thundurus also make for good teammates. Steel-types such as Heatran and Aegislash help Machamp by beating Fairy-types. Machamp also enjoys various kinds of speed control. Tailwind from Pokemon such as Suicune and Zapdos, as well as Thunder Wave from Thundurus, or even Trick Room from Pokemon such as Cresselia and Jellicent, (AC) is great for letting Machamp go faster than outspeed the foe opponent and confuse them with Dynamic Punch before they get to make a move.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An Assault Vest set is a somewhat viable option for Machamp, as it opens up a moveslot and provides better special bulk, although Conkeldurr does this job better. Bullet Punch gives Machamp a form of priority, (RC) and is helpful for picking off weakened foes, although it is really weak. Quick Guard allows Machamp to block priority attacks, which is helpful against Prankster users such as Liepard and Thundurus. Sadly, (AC) it is not that helpful against Fake Out, since because Quick Guard and Fake Out are in the same priority bracket, leaving the faster user with success, and Machamp's low Speed ensures that it will almost never outspeed a Fake Out user. Rock Slide is an option on Machamp for dealing spread damage, but Stone Edge is mostly better because since it deals a lot more damage to Thundurus and Zapdos.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-type Moves**: Flying-type moves from Pokemon such as Talonflame and Mega Salalmence can OHKO or deal masssive damage to Machamp before it Machamp can try to knock them their users out.

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Gardevoir and Sylveon can OHKO Machamp or deal massive damage to Assault Vest variants with their STAB Hyper Voice, or. They can even go for Psychic or Psyshock if Machamp uses Wide Guard.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types are immune to Machamp's STAB type, and most hit back really hard back. Knock Off makes Ghost-types less of a problem, but they can still pose a big threat.

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Mega Metagross can beat Machamp fairly easily with their Psychic-type STAB attacks. Although bulkier Pokemon like Cresselia might use two or three turns on to knocking out Machamp, Machamp will take use longer on KO'ing to KO them, even with Knock Off.

**Redirection**: Redirection from Pokemon such as Clefairy and Amoonguss is a great way of dealing with Machamp, as it makes since they make Machamp unable to spread confusion to all the opposing Pokemon, (RC) or get KOs with its coverage moves.

**Lowering it's Attack Intimidate and Burns**: Lowering Machamp's Attack through Intimidate from Pokemon such as Arcanine and Landorus-T or with burns from Pokemon such as Gengar and Rotom-W makes Machamp's damage output poor and leaves it with no other function than confusing the opponent foe with Dynamic Punch.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add (Capitalize / Fix) (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

When you look at Machamp, you might struggle to find a reason to use it over Conkeldurr, which has higher Attack(space)and access to Mach Punch. However, Machamp has the ability No Guard combined with Dynamic Punch, which lets it confuse its target every time it uses Dynamic Punch. (this is subpar in the prose department; "without fail" or "while dealing damage" should be fine, and if you want to convey both make it "without fail while dealing damage in the process") Machamp does, however, still have quite a few problems. Its Speed is very mediocre, meaning Machamp struggles to outspeed key threats even under Tailwind, though it is rather solid for Trick Room. It is also weak to Fairy, one of the best offensive types in the metagame. While It does have a solid Attack stat and somewhat good natural bulk, but it can still struggle to do anything due to its poor defensive typing and its Speed, often leaving it vulnerable to attacks from both opposing Pokemon before it can make a move.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dynamic Punch is boosted by STAB and also confuses its target, and thanks to No Guard, (AC) it is not held back by its low accuracy. Wide Guard shields Machamp and its teammate from spread attacks. Stone Edge lets Machamp deal super effective damage to most Flying-types, such as Thundurus and Mega Charizard Y. Alternatively, (AC) Ice Punch allows Machamp to deal with Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Mega Salamence, (comma) while Knock Off provides utility as well as coverage for Psychic- and Ghost-types. Protect is a staple in VGC and lets Machamp guard itself from unnecessary hits and double targeting.

Set Details
========

This EV spread combined with an Adamant nature makes Machamp a hard-hitting tank. 252 HP and 68 Defense EVs make Machamp capable of surviving a Double-Edge from neutral-natured Mega Kangaskhan even without a Sitrus Berry. With 188 Attack EVs, Machamp is able to OHKO(space)4 HP Mega Kangaskhan with Dynamic Punch. A Brave nature is used when running Machamp in Trick Room, which is one of the better ways to use it, and must also be used in tandem with a 0 Speed IV. No Guard lets Machamp connect all its moves. Lum Berry lets Machamp ignore status once, and while Sitrus Berry provides one-time recovery to heal Machamp back to a more comfortable amount of HP after taking a heavy hit. Safety Goggles also gets a mention for allowing Machamp to ignore powder moves, mainly Spore and Rage Powder, both of which can be an annoyance for Machamp it.

Usage Tips
========

Always keep in mind that when you are using Dynamic Punch, you are effectively halving the foe's accuracy in addition to dealing solid damage. This means that going for Dynamic Punch is always a safe play to make, except if you expect your opponent to switch in a Ghost-type. Machamp is often a fairly good lead to cause chaos on the opposing team with confusion and potentially get rid of items with Knock Off, but you must also be careful leading with it if your opponent has a lot of Pokemon capable of easily KOing Machamp, as leading with Machamp then can cause it to be quickly knocked out.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate Wide Guard support such as Mega Charizard Y and Hydreigon are good partners for Machamp. In order to patch up its weakness to Flying-types, Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Thundurus also make for good teammates. Steel-types such as Heatran and Aegislash help Machamp by beating Fairy-types. Machamp also enjoys various kinds of speed control. Tailwind from Pokemon such as Suicune and Zapdos, as well as Thunder Wave from Thundurus (RC) or even Trick Room from Pokemon such as Cresselia and Jellicent, is great for letting Machamp outspeed the foe and confuse them with Dynamic Punch before they get to make a move.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An Assault Vest set is a somewhat viable option for Machamp, as it opens up a moveslot (how? Only thing I can see is preventing it from using Protect/WG, but I wouldn't consider that a positive) and provides better special bulk, although Conkeldurr does this job better. Bullet Punch gives Machamp a form of priority and is helpful for picking off weakened foes, although it is really weak. Quick Guard allows Machamp to block priority attacks, which is helpful against Prankster users such as Liepard and Thundurus. Sadly, it is not that helpful against Fake Out, because Quick Guard and Fake Out are in the same priority bracket, and Machamp's low Speed ensures means that it will almost never outspeed a Fake Out user. Rock Slide is an option for dealing spread damage, but Stone Edge is mostly better because it deals a lot more damage to Thundurus and Zapdos.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-type Moves**: Flying-type moves from Pokemon such as Talonflame and Mega Salalmence Salamence can OHKO or deal masssive massive damage to Machamp before it can try to knock their users out.

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Gardevoir and Sylveon can OHKO Machamp or deal massive damage to Assault Vest variants with their STAB Hyper Voice. They can even go for Psychic or Psyshock if Machamp uses Wide Guard.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types are immune to Machamp's STAB type, and most hit back really hard. Knock Off makes Ghost-types less of a problem, but they can still pose a big threat.

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Mega Metagross can beat Machamp fairly easily with their Psychic-type STAB attacks. Although bulkier Pokemon like Cresselia might use two or three turns to knock out Machamp, Machamp will take longer to KO them, even with Knock Off.

**Redirection**: Redirection from Pokemon such as Clefairy and Amoonguss is a great way of dealing with Machamp, as it makes Machamp unable to spread confusion to all the opposing Pokemon or get KOs with its coverage moves.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Lowering Machamp's Attack through Intimidate from Pokemon such as Arcanine and Landorus-T or with burns from Pokemon such as Gengar and Rotom-W makes Machamp's damage output poor and leaves it with no other function than confusing the foe with Dynamic Punch.

[OVERVIEW]

• Dynamic Punch is the only thing it got over Conkeldurr, which also outclasses Machamp by having access to Mach Punch
  • Bad speed tier, but decent for Trick Room
  • Good Attack and somewhat good natural bulk
  • Weak to Fairy, one of the best offensive types in the game
  • Can quickly struggle with getting to do much at all due to bad Speed and a rather poor defensive typing

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Dynamic Punch lets you confuse things
  • Wide Guard protects your team from spread attacks
  • Stone Edge gives you coverage for Flying-types
  • Ice Punch is coverage for Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Garchomp
  • Knock Off provides coverage for Ghost- and Psychic-types plus utility
  • Protect guards you from status and double targeting

Set Details
========

• The EV spread and Adamant nature makes Machamp a hard hitting tank, and more specifically snags the OHKO on 4 HP Mega Kangaskhan with Dynamic Punch plus lets you survive Jolly Double-Edge
  • Brave is for running it in Trick Room, for that you will also need 0 IVs in Speed
  • No Guard makes you never miss, and is what makes Dynamic Punch good
  • Lum Berry lets you avoid status
  • Sitrus gives you some instant one-time recovery
  • Safety Goggles is also an option to avoid Spore and Rage Powder, as well as avoiding taking residual damage from weather

Usage Tips
========

• When in doubt, Dynamic Punch! (I'll obviously make this sound more serious in the write up)
  • Machamp often good to use for leading and causing chaos on the opposing team with Dynamic Punch or knocking items off, however, think about if you actually want to lead it if your opponent has several Pokemom capable of KO'ing Machamp straight away.

Team Options
========

• Pokemon that appreciate Wide Guard support such as Mega Charizard Y, Mega Salamence, and Thundurus
  • Pokemon such as Thundurus and Rhyperior that can deal with Flying-types
  • Steel-types such as Heatran and Aegislash that can deal with Fairy-types
  • Tailwind support from Pokemon such as Suicune and Zapdos to make Machamp outspeed opposing Pokemon to hit them before they hit you. Also a plus to confuse opponents before they make a move
  • Trick Room setters such as Cresselia or Jellicent if you run it Brave
  • Thunder Wave support from Pokemon such as Thundurus also help Machamp by letting it move before the opponent, and also makes for some good parafusion

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Assault Vest
  • Bullet Punch
  • Quick Guard
  • Rock Slide

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-type moves**: Flying-type moves from Pokemon such as Talonflame and Mega Salalmence can OHKO or deal masssive damage to Machamp before Machamp can try to knock them out (put this instead Flying-types in general because Zapdos and Thundurus and others without Flying-STAB don't threaten Machamp that much)

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Gardevoir and Sylveon can OHKO Machamp or deal massive damage to Assault Vest variants with their STAB Hyper Voice, or go for Psychic or Psyshock if Machamp uses Wide Guard

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types are immune to Machamp's STAB and most hit really hard back. Knock Off makes Ghost-types less of a problem, but they can stull pose a big threat

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Mega Metagross can beat Machamp fairly easily with their Psychic-STAB. Although bulkier Pokemon like Cresselia might use two or three turns on knocking out Machamp, Machamp will use longer on KO'ing them, even with Knock Off

**Redirection**: Redirection from Pokemon such as Clefairy and Amoonguss is a great way of dealing with Machamp, since they make Machamp unable to spread confusion to all the opposing Pokemon, or get KO's with it's coverage moves

**Lowering it's Attack**: Lowering Machamp's Attack through Intimidate from Pokemon such as Arcanine and Landorus-T or with burns from Pokemon such as Gengar and Rotom-H / -W makes Machamp's damage output poor and leaves it with no other function than confusing the opponent with Dynamic Punch

Last edited:
Ksh13 Might want to fix a few of the line breaks here, just in case. Add one before "Set Details", "Usage Tips" and "Checks and Counters", and also after the "Flying-type Moves" section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)