Mandibuzz Discussion

Abilities:
Big Pecks: Prevents the enemy from lowering this Pokemon's Defense.
Overcoat: Grants immunity to damage from weather effects.
Weak Armor: Boosts Speed by 1 stage and lowers Defense by 1 stage when hit by a physical move.

Base Stats:
110 / 65 / 105 / 55 / 95 / 80

Lvl-up:
1 Fury Attack
1 Gust
1 Leer
1 Pluck
5 Fury Attack
10 Pluck
14 Nasty Plot
19 Flatter
23 Faint Attack
28 Punishment
32 Defog
37 Tailwind
41 Air Slash
46 Dark Pulse
50 Embargo
51 Bone Rush
57 Whirlwind
63 Brave Bird
70 Mirror Move

TM/HM:
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM59 Incinerate
TM63 Embargo
TM66 Payback
TM67 Retaliate
TM68 Giga Impact
TM77 Psych Up
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Pluck
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Rock Smash
TM95 Snarl
HM01 Cut
HM02 Fly

Egg Moves:
Fake Tears
Knock Off
Mean Look
Roost
Scary Face
Steel Wing

Overview:
When people look for walls in RU, they usually turn to Blastoise, Clefable, Claydoll, Ferroseed, Munchlax, Steelix, Qwilfish and many others. For some reason, Mandibuzz isn't one of those even though she has pretty good mixed defenses in 110 / 105 / 95 for a RU Pokemon. She is even capable of walling Yanmega, one of the biggest threats in the entire tier, and Sharpedo, one of the (if not the) best sweepers. Mandibuzz can perform either as a physical or special wall, suiting your teams' needs. She can phaze with Whirlwind, has a great recovery move in Roost, can use Toxic and Taunt to cripple and shut down Pokemon and gets some nice immunities and resistances. The abilities aren't that good though, but Overcoat is helpful in taking on hail teams, but they're rare in RU. Big Pecks could be a good replacement as it eliminates Defense drops. She gets raped by Stealth Rock though and Toxic can wear her down, so a spinner and Heal Bell support are appreciated, but Mandibuzz is an effective wall nonetheless.

Specially Defensive
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature (+ SpDef, - SpA)
- Roost
- Toxic
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind /Taunt / U-turn / Protect

Due to her typing, Mandibuzz is better suited to being a special wall than a physical wall, as Rhyperior and company carry very powerful super effective STAB moves. Mandibuzz can shut down Alakazam, laughing at Focus Miss and can phaze him out if he is a Sub + CM variant. Yanmega is of no concern, as Specs Bug Buzz won't 2HKO.

Brave Bird is Mandibuzz's best attacking move and is needed to be 'Taunt-proof'. Toxic is her most consistent way of dealing with opponents. Without Roost, Mandibuzz would be NU for sure, as she needs it to tank repeated attacks. The 4th slot depends on preference: Whirlwind is excelent for phazing and beating set-up sweepers such as Venomoth (after Sleep Powder), while Taunt completely shuts down most walls, thanks to her nice base 80 Speed. If you want to scout, U-Turn is a nice option to prevent Mandibuzz from becoming set-up bait. Finally, you can use Protect to scout your opponent's actions, as well as to rack up Toxic damage.

Mixed Monster
Evs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
- Roost
- Toxic
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

This is my own custom Mandibuzz set, and it is able to beat the common Speed Boosters as both Yanmega and Sharpedo only 3HKO, as well as other threatening sweepers. I think it can take Flare Blitzes from Entei and just stall outlast it. Oh did I meantion that Honchrow can't 2HKO with Brave Bird? My point is, Mandibuzz' defenses scream mixed wall, so let's make use of it!

The evs are for a well-around bulk, with an emphasis on Defense. 248 HP give Mandibuzz 423 HP, so it can switch in 4 times with Stealth Rock on the fields. The 216 Def EVs gives a nice 300 Defense and the rest is dumped into SpD. Careful nature is to take care of Mandibuzz' lower Special Defense. Moves are aleady explained in the above set.

Annoyer
Evs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
- Substtute
- Toxic
- Roost
- Brave Bird/Whirlwind/Taunt/Knock off

Even faced a Poison Heal Gliscor with Substitute and Toxic in OU? Well, this is as close you can get to that in RU. Madnibuzz' overall bulk forces plenty of switches, making this set very viable. The combination of Substitute, Toxic and Roost can outstall a lot of pokemon and make this Bird invincible. This can cause multiple ragequits just because the opponent can't kill you.

Substitute is the crux of the set, nabbing a status immunity and general annoyance. Toxic+roost is for stalling and for staying alive. The 4th slot is determined by preference (again). Brave Bird stops you from becmoing Taunt bait, but watch the reacoil. Whirlwind is to phaze set-up sweepers with Sub or immunity. Taunt is to stop said set-up sweepers and finally, Knock off can render any wall/eviolite user useless. The EV spread and Nature are up to the player, but max HP is always a given.

Team Comments and Counters
Steel types are a nuisance for Mandibuzz. Thankfully, they are not very common in RU, but you still have Ferroseed and an even more dangerous pokemon: Aggron, which means you should pair Mandibuzz with a Fire- or Fighting-type Pokemon to take care of these. Rapid Spin support is also appreciated, as it will increase Mandibuzz' walling capability. Stealth Rock chipping of 25% of HP on a wall is never good. Faster users of Taunt can shut Mandibuzz down, like Honckrow so be sure to carry a check for it too. Heal Bell is also recommended to take away status that can cripple Mandibuzz. Finally, strong STAB moves can take it down. Examples are Kabutops' and Rhyperior's Stone Edges, or even a Rotom Thunderbolt, so watch out for that. Special attackers who can beat Mandibuzz include NP Porygon-Z and Galvantula, but the first is frail and the latter is weak to SR (and more often than not, choiced so you can work around it).

So this is all I can tell about Mandibuzz. I hope you can see the potential of this defensive pokemon.

Discuss!

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree. It also forms a very viable core with defensive Poliwrath. As Poli easily handles threats such as Aggron with dual-STAB resistances etc. Even then it also easily stops Fire-type threats like Entei (bar Moltres though obviously due to Air Slash.)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mandibuzz is definatley viable in ru kinda like a dark type cress. It really reminds me of umbreon as well

Has anyone tried subroost on this?

Mandibuzz is definatley viable in ru kinda like a dark type cress. It really reminds me of umbreon as well

Has anyone tried subroost on this?

Yea, I run

move 1: Substitute
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Roost
move 4: Dark Pulse
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
nature: Calm
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
ability: Overcoat

You could run modest and SAtk evs for a more offensive set but I like this one more.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, I run

move 1: Substitute
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Roost
move 4: Dark Pulse
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
nature: Calm
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
ability: Overcoat

You could run modest and SAtk evs for a more offensive set but I like this one more.
I like using subroost as a toxistaller actually

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
you should probably slash whirlwind over toxic

roost / taunt / whirlwind / bravebird, as although i recognize the strengths of toxic taunt, not being able to phaze as well as taunt is somewhat irritating. also there may be room for some speed investment for certain benchmarks as 80 base is very nice for a wall.

"knock off" deserves a mention, making munchlax, Ferroseed , gligar and other evolite users easier to eliminate

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
[SARC]'MANDIBUZZ COUNTERS ALL!'[/SARC]

I think Mandibuzz is a spectacular defensive mon and all, but I really don't like this idea of "oh Mandi is so bulky, it counters this, that, and its granddad!" mentality. It's not everyone, of course, but some people have argued that mandibuzz can counter everything from Yanmega, Porygon-Z, etc... while there's some truth to that, I found it very annoying at the least. At the very least, I know that some people have crushes on Mandibuzz, but keep it to yourself instead of proclaiming that it counters things that it actually doesn't (as in, it can theoretically check but has hard time keeping up) I've even seen Mandibuzz users proudly sit their ass with a mandibuzz vs a Electric type to promptly get its ass whooped, saying 'I knew it would survive a thunder' or something stupid like that, or trying to wall out a Porygon-Z and crying Hax when it gets critted after 10 turns of taking hits. Seriously, if you're SR weak, the number of things that you can full-out counter literally gets cut by half. Also, and if it's taking 40% from something, yes, you can stall with Roost, but 1. You can't switch in because of SR. 2. You're begging for a crit, (Special)Defense drop, or a hax burn/para.. or something.

She does check a lot of dangerous threats. --acknowledges her capacities-- But, you'll have to invest in one defense more than the other, and you'll have to give some coverage away. The fate of a mixed tank...

[SARC]'MANDIBUZZ COUNTERS ALL!'[/SARC]

I think Mandibuzz is a spectacular defensive mon and all, but I really don't like this idea of "oh Mandi is so bulky, it counters this, that, and its granddad!" mentality. It's not everyone, of course, but some people have argued that mandibuzz can counter everything from Yanmega, Porygon-Z, etc... while there's some truth to that, I found it very annoying at the least. At the very least, I know that some people have crushes on Mandibuzz, but keep it to yourself instead of proclaiming that it counters things that it actually doesn't (as in, it can theoretically check but has hard time keeping up) I've even seen Mandibuzz users proudly sit their ass with a mandibuzz vs a Electric type to promptly get its ass whooped, saying 'I knew it would survive a thunder' or something stupid like that, or trying to wall out a Porygon-Z and crying Hax when it gets critted after 10 turns of taking hits. Seriously, if you're SR weak, the number of things that you can full-out counter literally gets cut by half. Also, and if it's taking 40% from something, yes, you can stall with Roost, but 1. You can't switch in because of SR. 2. You're begging for a crit, (Special)Defense drop, or a hax burn/para.. or something.

She does check a lot of dangerous threats. --acknowledges her capacities-- But, you'll have to invest in one defense more than the other, and you'll have to give some coverage away. The fate of a mixed tank...
Yup that is all true. I know people's love for a special pokemon can get waay to exaggerated. Mandibuzz can check certain trheats and can be very annoying sometimes, but it can be counter fairly easily. PZ is the perfect example and Sr as well. And I know hax always comes around after 10 turns of stalling.

I completely get you point, but I'm not stating that this can wall everything, hell no.

well with the tier shifts and bannings Mandibuzz is a lot cooler. being able to taunt pretty much all walls due to her solid 80 speed for a wall and chipping away at health with toxic is pretty cool. Stealth Rock is still a problem but she's constantly the most consistent wall on my team. She has so many annoyer options and as RU slowly becomes more and more stall dominant, Mandibuzz will still be a favorite of mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)