XY OU Masterclass' Masterpiece

Enough is enough. Time to give credit where credit is due. So recently my friend Bloo used my team in smogon tour and won the first XY OU smogon tour with it. It's a team i've used a long while back in SPL against C05ta. The reason enough is enough is because:

1-Everyone be dick riding the wrong guy (sorry bloo)
2-Gyarados got too popular and people think its too good
3-Ferrothorn who people never used, is now like the most used pokemon
4-My Aegislash set is the number 1 set on the analysis? lol.
5-Everyone is stealing my team, changing one pokemon, making it worse and using it.

Yeah i'll take credit for all the above. Thanks to all the above, you're all witnessing a legendary moment where the Great One posts an RMT.
Anyway this is what the team looks like:

Team building process:
Nice try. You will never know how the beast's mind works.

Guess I'll tell you how I built it(cause then the mods will lock the thread if i dont write descriptions. Fuck dat rule) and not go in depth:

Everyone in SPL was spamming Pinser, Charizards, Venusaurs, and Lucarios. I decided I'll use a Mega that's underrated and haven't been used much. After some testing, I've finally discovered my beast:

Gyarados is a flexible Mega. His non-mega typing really is something to consider keeping through out the match. It checked many things, and his great ability intimidate also helped. That's what I liked most about it, and so that's how I decided i'll use it. So i surrounded it with a defensive team to pick my opponents apart, and when the time was right mega evolve and finish the game. At that point in time, not many really checked Gyarados thanks to it's mold breaker ability which also helped it effectively handle stall. So that's when i started to think of the things that actually stops Gyarados. I couldn't find much besides ferrothorn which was almost non-existant when I made the team. But that was also the time I found Gyarados' partner:

I thought to myself.. ''Ferrothorn.. huh?''. If i'm planning to use Gyarados in it's non-mega form most of the game, then Ferrothorn just sounds too perfect type synergy wise. I mean, combined, they both resist 14 different types. The other thing that came to my mind was that if Gyarados is potentially the most fearsome offensive water type and Ferrothorn handles it exceptionally then shouldn't it handle most of the other ones? So I listed them: Manaphy, Azumarill, Greninja, Keldeo. It handled everything but Keldeo, but even that's handled by Gyarados' non-mega form. It didn't end there. After checking the threat list that's when I realized just how incredible Ferrothorn is. The number of pokemon it walled, or atleast checked far exceeded my expectations. With those 2 on my team, I already felt my team was great and all I had to do was support them.

So now the question was ''what next?''. I noticed that Gyarados can handle stall really well, but offense would really give trouble to my team. So the appropriate question was ''What stops a gyarados on an offensive team?''. After looking into it, and looking at most SPL teams. Most of them relied on a Prankster thunder wave from a Thundurus to check gyarados. So the perfect pokemon came to my mind:

Heal bell Clefable. The reason I found it most appropriate for my team was because of it's ability unaware that allows it to handle most set up sweeper on most offensive teams. The other thing was it's fairy typing which allowed it to resist fighting which can do damage to me if Gyarados is in it's Mega form. I also thought it would be a great wish passer to Gyarados because I said earlier i wanted Gyarados to check a number of things, and without wish it could be easily worn down because it lacks leftovers. Clefable seemed like the perfect match with those two.

At this point i was loving my team. I also felt like Gyarados had all the support it needed. So now I needed to look at other matters. Ferrothorn is great defensively, but there's a number of pokemon that can just come into it and do major damage. Things like Charizard-Y were and still are very popular. I'm sure he'd relish the chance to come into Ferrothorn and start doing damage. Once Gyarados is in it's mega-form even Keldeo can be quite the pest. So that's when I surrendered and added the most overrated pokemon in XY OU:

On paper, Latias would look like one of the best pokemons in the tier. It's ability to check numerous special attackers and at the same time do major damage with draco meteor was too good to pass up. As a bonus it can learn defog. That's until you look at the reality of things. It's pursuit bait. Pretty much every single pursuiter can come in at will and pursuit it. By doing that it gets rid of the pokemon you are relying on to do many tasks like counter the highly threatening Keldeos and Charizard-Y you also lose your Defogger in the process. The increase in usage of pursuit Aegislash, and the boost Bisharp got in XY OU didn't help one bit. Looking at Latias and realizing that Aegislash and Bisharp had it easy to just come in. I needed something that can handle those two, and a number of other Physical attackers that troubled me. I also noticed my lack of Stealth Rock and so that's when i decided to add:

Hippowdon really isn't the most threatening pokemon offensively. But it does it's job phenomenally. It just sets up stealth rock reliably and can do it all match long. It also provided me with defensive safety and a good pivot to go to against physical sweepers. Thanks to his other ability Sand Force which is practically useless. It atleast doesn't ruin Clefable's moonlights.

Looking at the team now, it seemed like it really didn't have any holes. But it looked like it struggled against defensive teams. I also don't appreciate skarmory, and other bulky grounds having it easy to just come in any time and do whatever they want. So I decided i needed a way to lure those and do damage to them. At the same time have another win condition to open holes in balanced teams. That's when i decided to add Toxic Aegislash.

Fantastic Pokemon, fantastic ability, fantastic typing, and it ticked all the boxes for me. But after a little testing I realized I never really needed pursuit, because i had nothing to exploit the holes Lati@s leaves once it gets pursuited. Shadow Sneak was also piss weak, and i was never a fan of it. Then i noticed that really what made Aegislash great was the fact it had Shadow ball one of the best offensive moves in the metagame thanks to the buff coupled with it's insane SpAtk stat. The other thing was his great signature move ''King's Shield''. Having Toxic in the moveset was a given since that was the purpose. So i asked myself ''What should i use for the last move''. After scrolling down it's moves on the team builder I looked at the move ''substitute''. At first i told myself ''lol, hmm.. maybe?''. It was just speculation at that point until i put it into practice. The results were incredible. It was a one man show. Substitute + Toxic and King's shield is a match made in heaven. Substitute + King's shield help you toxic stall opponents. Weaken physical attackers who try to break your sub to the point they can't even break your sub! It also worked wonders against defensive teams and crippled even it's own checks.

And there you have it folks.

(Aegislash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Toxic
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball

When i made this Aegislash moveset I knew I was gonna use Toxic. Which made the first 3 moves obvious: Shadow Ball, King's Shield and Toxic. I found substitute to be the best fit for the last slot because it really helps bring out the best from King's Shield and Toxic. In a way it allowed me to stall opponents with Toxic and in another way helped me abuse King's Shield to it's best. For it's ev spread I gave it 236 hp to gain maximum leftovers recovery and I just dumped 252 evs in SpAtk to gain the maximum damage output from Shadow ball. The remaining 20 evs I added to speed because it helped me outspeed most Aegislash, Clefable, and an uninvested tyranitar.

(Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Moonlight

Straightforward ev spread. The standard CM Clefable spread. Heal bell is the main reason I used clefable to purify Gyarados from paralysis. There's two sets to choose from really that go well with this team. This one, and the other being Wish/Protect/Moon Blast/Heal Bell. It's up to personal preference. Wish would give my team more support and longevity whereas Calm Mind would provide me with a win condition. They both work.

(Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

This is the Star of the team. He probably wins most my games. It was really easy to just get in get a DD, and sweep. Both his typings were assets for me. It's flying/water typing is obviously the superior typing but don't overlook the Dark/Water typing. The amount of times it saved me from a boosted Mawile or a Bisharp are too many to count. For the Moveset it's the standard one. Waterfall for STAB, Earthquake to hit Rotom-W's and Aegislash and Ice fang for Latias, and Grass types. The EV spread had to be bulky seeing as I was planning on using Gyarados to take a few hits and aid me in defense. So I browsed it's Analysis thread and instead of using the Mega Gyarados ev spread I decided to use the Bulky one. The Speed evs allowed me to outspeed Noivren at +1.

(Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

The reason i used Latias over Latios is because im a sucker for bulky pokemon. So if there's a bulky alternative to any pokemon, i'll go with it. Draco Meteor, Roost and defog are standard. The last move can vary depending on what you worry about most. HP Fighting can nail bisharps, hp fire can nail ferrothorns, thunderbolt can nail Azumarill's and Skarmory, and psyshock is for an extra stab that has good coverage with draco meteor and it provides an option vs venusaur.

(Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn walls everything. By using Gyro Ball and Power Whip I provided my team with something great against Dragons, Offensive Waters, Bulky Waters and other fast sweepers on offensive teams. Gyro ball is there for things like Kyurem-B and Power Whip is for stuff like Sub Gyarados. The EV spread I used can be changed to anyones liking. I prefered a more physically defensive ferrothorn. The 40 Spdef evs allowed me to avoid a 2hko from +3 Manaphy and avoid the 3hko from a Life orb Greninja's ice beam. If you're more worried about thundurus you can opt for a more special defensive spread but from my experience it isn't neccessary.

(Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 112 Def / 140 SDef
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Moveset is standard. Rock slide is the prefered move to hit Charizard-Y on the switch in and to hit Mega Pinsir. The ev spread is for Hippowdon not to get 2hko'd by Aegislash's Shadow ball as well as survive Pinsir's Jolly +2 Return most of the time, and survive Bisharps +2 Knock off 100% of the time.

Conclusion:

I am the beast who reformed this metagame, I'm the reason bitchez be usin ferro more, and think Gyarados is the best Mega in history. I'm also the reason SubTox aegislash is a thing, and is first set on it's analysis. Fuck this game. I also made bloo what he is now. Just reading this RMT will be a moment you people will never forget.

Threat List:

Bitch I'm the king.. nothing threatens me.

Also:

Real talk, bloo did a great job when he played with this team. If it wasn't bloo using it it probably wouldn't have exploded the way it did. So thank him and his many dick riders. Thanks to Bro Fist it was his decision that allowed me to ultimately replace wish on clefable to a CM Moonlight set. Thanks to Bro fist and Lohgock for helping me test this team to fuck and back.
If you are questioning the timing of me posting this RMT due to the fact the second week of XY OU smogon tour is tommorow. It's because of this:

[3:31:41 PM] cbb: i kinda want to play
[3:31:43 PM] cbb: this weekend
[3:31:45 PM] cbb: because it's xy
[3:31:53 PM] cbb: and so many ppl have confidence that i can do it

[3:35:11 PM] The King: bloo cant win
[3:35:13 PM] The King: without my teams
[3:35:14 PM] The King: )
[3:35:16 PM] The King: proven.
[3:35:17 PM] The King: won bw
[3:35:18 PM] The King: won xy
[3:35:21 PM] The King: lost r1 of dpp
[3:35:23 PM] The King: proven.
[3:35:55 PM] cbb: yea
[3:35:58 PM] cbb: thanks to that bullshit
[3:36:04 PM] cbb: ppl now think mega gyara is the best pokemon ever
[3:36:11 PM] cbb: they're arguing for it to be the best mega atm

[3:40:56 PM] The King: why the hp fire
[3:40:59 PM] cbb: because
[3:41:01 PM] cbb: ferro
[3:41:02 PM] cbb: is
[3:41:02 PM] The King: ok
[3:41:04 PM] cbb: also everywhere
[3:41:05 PM] The King: so now people
[3:41:06 PM] The King: ues ferro
[3:41:07 PM] cbb: thanks to your
[3:41:07 PM] cbb: fucking team
[3:41:08 PM] The King: ahahahahahahahahaa

[3:45:58 PM] cbb: lol i think u underestimate
[3:46:00 PM] cbb: peoples willingless
[3:46:01 PM] cbb: to steal ur team
[3:46:03 PM] cbb: make it shittier
[3:46:05 PM] cbb: and spam it in stour
[3:46:09 PM] cbb: thats a winning strategy
[3:46:11 PM] cbb: for week 4

[3:46:26 PM] cbb: bloo won with it! must be jesus

So yeah folks! Lets all spam this shit!

Last edited:
TFL

^He wanted to steal one of your teams anyways.

I know people like to keep it as an "Obscure" pokemon, but your team struggles with Chesnaught. I noticed you mentioned defense teams giving you a few issues and it is true... your two best answers are relatively predictably to come in (Clefable/Latias) and both represent some weakness to the common pursuit trappers in tier (Aegislash/Bisharp). While Bisharp will probably not pair with Chensaught, it is not too much to believe that Aegislash won't... There are a few answers, but the simplest one is this: Make sure Aegislash outspeeds 4 speed EV chesnaught. This dodges leech seed on sub turns and allows for easier access to toxic stall it, although this applies for sets that carry EQ... but as sub toxic aegi is pretty common, most sets will carry EQ now....

Would love to know the meaning behind some of these EV spreads. If anything, Landorus running Focus Blast/Sludge Bomb as utility moves looks like an issue. Obviously latias checks him but Lando can come in and out as needed. Just get Gyarados to +1 in normal form if you see a Lando, I guess... Gyarados' normal form provides a great check to Landorus.

I wanna use this team (who doesn't) :-P. Please add some details and tips for we noobs.
Also, how do you deal with zard-y, keldeo, pursuiter core. Seems problematic as now most of them are using iron head aegi or bisharp for clefable.

gr8astard

Here comes the waterworks!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 9th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Looks like CrashinBoomBang is using a mega venusaur this week :toast:

About your team, there's not much else to say but I prefer Wish/Protect on Unaware Clefable because of Moonlight's low PP, how useful protect is on Clefable, and the fact that half your team would really appreciate the wish support. Also I have rarely seen, if ever, a CM Unaware Clefable sweep a well-built team even with heal bell.

Nice job man.

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
Yeah its a good enough team but I think its success was more due to Bloo's skill than the actual quality of the team. Latias is a fairly horrid pokemon now especially if its your main check to Zard Y - it will always be paired with a pursuit user which means you can check it once if you don't double out (in which case you can't roost and lose anyway). You then have to try and dance around it with hippo and gyara and since Zard is going to have roost it will win eventually. In that replay against costa he should really have won as soon as he trapped latias, it was only his bad plays that let you win.

There is also a pretty huge burden on Hippowdon to wall Mega pinsir, zard x, bisharp, aegislash etc and a competent player with two of these will quickly overwhelm it since you really lack any other consistent answers for these pokemon.

You will probably dismiss this out of hand but a standard chansey and skarmory over latias and ferrothorn would make your life a lot easier against common team types and generally bulk up the team to the point where your lack of priority or speed to revenge kill boosted threats does not matter since you can counter them defensively. Maybe I'm biased because I beat it easily twice in a tour but in the current form I don't get the hype.

Edit at below - you assume zard is switching into clefable, if proper pressure was being applied with Zard it would be you switching into Zard.

Last edited:
You're too ignorant. Even after Costa pursuited the Latias he still had no chance to win. With sun up i can stall out his charizard's fire blasts. I had the game won right from the start. Any ''competent player'' would know that. If you go watch turn 23 I could've swept him then and there but i decided against going for the roll because clefable could've swept him whenever i wanted to.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable in Sun: 229-270 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

My clefable was at 64% in a roll which favored me more. In XY OU every team has it's weaknesses. Anyone can say ''you're weak to Charizard-y and Pursuit!''. Can you name me the Charizard-Y counters that aren't pursuit weak? None besides Zard-X and Dragonite. That's why Charizard-Y teams are effective in general. It's because coupled with a pursuiter it's very hard to beat. That's why they all look similar.

As for the team being successful because of ''Bloo's skill''. ask Bloo himself. He found it rather easy to win the tournament with my team, without much prediction or skill involved. The same went for the other players who decided to jack it. Hippowdon's task isn't to beat bisharp or mega pinsir. It's merely a check. Do you know how many pinsirs and bisharps were used against me? or even Aegislashes? go look up my replays or Bloo's. They were all handled rather easily. Pinsir struggles to set up on anything. Anything can put enough damage on it so that clefable can just finish it off with Moonblast. There's many ways to handle bisharp, if it's weakened Ferro fairs well, hippo as i said is a great counter. If it comes to it Gyarados himself in mega form can just dispatch it. as for Aegislash for me it's enough that Gyarados sets up on it, Hippo handles it and my own aegislash sets up on it.

Don't give me bullshit like ''what about subtox aegi''. That set didn't exist before this team. That's the point of RMTing this team. It worked because no one really prepared for Gyarados, Ferrothorn and SubTox aegi as much. This team is the reason they are even used now.

Lol calm the fuck down? I'm pretty much backing up Knight of C; the sizeable weaknesses to Char-Y / Keldeo when coupled with a Pursuit user, as well as to standard M-Pinsir, are theoretically pretty easy to exploit. Obviously it's possible to play around those threats, that goes for pretty much any half decent team which isn't pure stall, but it's putting too much pressure on the player to make it work.

SkarmChans instead of Ferro and Latias is a pretty good suggestion, obviously running physically defensive Ferrothorn and maybe even a standard bulky Lefties Gyarados to keep Keldeo from getting frisky - which would also potentially free up Clefable's slot for something more useful. But that said, I do get that Ferro is a fucking beast in this metagame and can understand why you'd want to avoid replacing it. It might even be optimal to run Chans/Skarm/Ferro over Clefable/Latias/Ferro...stuff to play around with I guess.

Oh yeah and I used to run something similar with bulky M-Aero + Hippo to fuck with Char-Y / Pursuit bs, which might actually be worth considering if you want to play around a bit. Aero handles Pinsir, Talonflame and Char-Y pretty easily in sand, which are basically the team's biggest offensive threats (okay maybe not Talon). Give it a try if you get bored.

Last thing, the stall weakness sucks, and why are you not using Spikes on Ferrothorn? It's better than Gyro Ball against everything but HO. Replace Gyro Ball unless there's some massive threat you need it for which I can't think of.

Aegi set is genius though and I can't believe it took somebody as long as it did to come up with it.

Last edited:

Valentine

Banned deucer.
Hey Sweepage.

Obviously a solid team here that popularized a lot of pokemon and sets. Probably perfect for the meta it was made in. I think Adam reworked this core a couple of times, and i've definitely been an avid user of his versions after I saw Bloo tear it up in Tour. It's hard to say which version is 'best', but I think this is a really meta defining core that deserves a place in archive.

Last edited:

Bloo

Banned deucer.
As one of the main users of Masterclass' team, I'd like to weigh in on the team!

As with every team, this one has its weaknesses and annoyances. Among them include Bisharp, Mega Pinsir, Pursuit users in tandem with Charizard-Y and to a lesser extent, Venusaur if using Hidden Power Fire. It's impossible to fix all of these issues and while suggesting replacements for consideration is always cool, most changes that could be made to this team specifically would ultimately change the way it works and or open up new weaknesses. At the end of the day, while this team may have its issues, there are ways to play around them even if it may be difficult to do so at times. People have made their own versions of this team, customizing it to their liking with the team's featured core of Ferrothorn / Clefable / Aegislash, and that's what most people should try and get out of this RMT - seeing how this core impacted the XY metagame and effectively popularized certain sets that are becoming increasingly common now, and how players are now incorporating the core into their team building.

Part of the reason I loved this team by Masterclass and used it in the first XY OU Smogon Tour was because of how anti-metagame it is, or rather, was. I say "was" because I don't think this team will be as effective as it was when it was used, mainly because of the metagame adaptations we are starting to now see in response to a few threats featured on this team.

The XY metagame was dominated by teams featuring cores including things like Azumarill, DD Mega Tyranitar, Thundurus-I, Greninja and so on. Ferrothorn did excellently against all of those threats, walling them relatively well and spreading passive damage beautifully with Leech Seed, hitting them with either Power Whip or Gyro Ball, and using Protect to scout moves and recover health without taking a blow. Many of the teams I encountered during the first Smogon Tour of the season had issues taking down Ferrothorn because of how well it performed against the common Pokemon people were using, which to reiterate, include things like Azumarill, DD Mega Tyranitar, Latios, Greninja and Thundurus-I. Now, people are beginning to adapt. Thundurus-I is now using Focus Blast more. Greninja's are being seen with Hidden Power Fire. Both of these adaptations are metagame shifts caused by the rise of Ferrothorn, which I believe this team contributed to quite a bit.

Clefable and Sub Toxic Aegislash further contributed to the anti-metagame qualities of this team that made its Smogon Tour run so successful. Unaware Clefable stops a slew of threats and simply checks so many things, possessing a very important resistance to Fighting and immunity to Dragon, two things that are harder to cover than one may think. Clefable can even threaten sweeps of its own with Calm Mind and is just an overall great Pokemon right now. Sub Toxic Aegislash is simply a monster and can run over teams like there's no tomorrow, wearing down and ultimately beating a lot of its checks like Hippowdown in the long run. The combination of Substitute and Kings Shield on a Pokemon like Aegislash is very deadly, and if you try the set out, you'll very quickly see why this thing has become one of Aegislash's go-to sets now.

Now, Mega Gyarados. I would say this is the biggest reason the team was successful during its Smogon Tour run - more reason than Ferrothorn's walling capabilities and the things I mentioned about Clefable and Sub Toxic Aegislash. As I stated before, the XY metagame is dominated by the bread and butter Keldeo or Azumarill - Tyranitar - Thundurus-I - Latios core. Gyarados absolutely ravages through these teams. All you usually need is some prior damage on their bulky water and once Gyarados gets that Dragon Dance, that core will have a very hard time stopping Gyarados without losing 1 or 2 Pokemon in the process. Those teams typically rely on Thundurus-I to "emergency check" Gyarados with Thunder Wave; however, that's where Clefable's Heal Bell comes in, giving Gyarados a second chance at a sweep if given the chance. If you don't get the chance to set up Gyarados again vs. these teams, that's no issue, as you will have done enough damage regardless, opening up your opponent's team nicely for Aegislash to finish the job.

While Gyarados is a superb Pokemon and people have been advocating for its movement into "S Rank" in the viability rankings (I can understand why people would think so at this particular tage of the metagame), I don't think these opinions will continue to surface in the future. As I said, Gyarados was so effective because of how effectively it took advantage of the typical XY bulky offensive core featuring Latios, Tyranitar and so on, sweeping through them with relatively ease. However, people are starting to adapt. Ferrothorn is on the rise. Mega Venusaur is making a come back. Azumarill continues to rise in usage. There are plenty of things that stop Gyarados in this metagame and they are starting to become more common. Once people move away from using the typical core I encountered so much in Smogon Tour, Gyarados will no longer have that "S Rank" aura that it may have now. Don't get me wrong: it will definitely remain a top tier Pokemon and one of the best DD sweepers in the metagame, but ultimately, the metagame will shift and adapt to its presence, making it harder for it to ravage through teams as easily and threaten them as consistently as some other "S Rank" Pokemon before it.

Anyway, that's all I have to say. This team definitely contributed to increasing the popularity of Gyarados, Sub Toxic Aegislash and the Clefable + Ferrothorn core. The team has its weaknesses, but picking at them isn't of much use at this point. Instead, looking at how this team popularized certain sets and threats should be the main take away of this thread. Additionally, looking at how the metagame is adapting to handling threats like Gyarados and killing off defensive behemoths like Ferrothorn with adaptations like HP Fire Greninja is noteworthy as well.

For people looking to try the team, go ahead and try it - it's a fun team to use! There's no particular way to give advice on how to use the team. That is something that, in my opinion, comes from experience, and the best way for you to see how the team functions, how you should play around certain threats, what you should look out for, and so on, is by trying it out for yourself. Bravo to you, Masterclass, for creating this team. We both know I'd have 5 points in the Smogon Tour right now if it weren't for your next level team building and general mastery of this game, which we're all pathetic at in comparison to you. Once a king, always a king - nice work again and I hope to see this team make its way into the RMT archive!

Part of the reason I loved this team by Masterclass and used it in the first XY OU Smogon Tour was because of how anti-metagame it is, or rather, was. I say "was" because I don't think this team will be as effective as it was when it was used, mainly because of the metagame adaptations we are starting to now see in response to a few threats featured on this team.
This is the part i want to explain to people. The couple of people who listed things that work well against this team were non-existent before bloo popularized this team. Had the metagame not adapted to Ferrothorn and SubToxic aegislash, many would be scratching their heads to find ways to get around this core and the team. The only reason you now have answers is because just like every team. This team had it's time. That's the reason the RMT was posted. Now the metagame has adapted to these changes.

With that being said, I'd like to thank Bloo mostly. You've contributed the most in popularizing this team(the team popularized bloo). You've done a great job with it and your tour success is definitely not solely because of any of my teams. You're a fantastic player and you deserved and earned every point you got. You can't give Froggy my team and expect him to win a smogon tour. It's not something that happens with just a good team. You're still lightyears behind me though. But you'll get there(you won't).

gr8astard, Valentine: thank you for your positive feedback :]

ps. im done responding. I am trying to stay away from this community.

Last edited:
Pfft, I was using SubToxic Aegislash before it was cool.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/a-team-with-specially-defensive-aegislash.3497959/

Granted, it was specially defensive instead of offensive, but whatever.

I love this team, by the way. Mega Gyarados is pretty dang awesome. I personally like running Stone Edge > Rock Slide on Hippowdon just because it gets the guaranteed OHKO against stupid Mega Pinsirs, but it's probably not super necessary. Congrats on the success this team has had in tournaments and stuff!

I think this is the Latias spread you were going for - EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
You're missing the Life orb number in your spread so use that one^
Other than that, this team is fat and hard to break. In other words nice team :]

Nice team. It certainly introduced a bit more variety into the metagame by using sets that are generally underrated. I would like to see you go more indepth on your descriptions for the sets though, especially some of those EV spreads. It's also a bit unclear to me why you are using LO Latias instead of Latios, unless its purely for specs Keldeo locked into Icy Wind or Healing Wish(which you dont have). Even then, I don't quite understand your choice for this reason:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 144-170 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
EDIT: I realize that Specs Keldeo wasn't a huge deal at the start of XY, but the Latias set still has me scratching my head.
In addition to EV spreads and crap, your analysis should go a bit more indepth on the common metagame archetypes it supposedly deals with (how did this team deal with stall? bird spam? deosharp without having to depend on hippowdon being at 100%?). Mega Gyarados is practically the star of your team, but you hardly describe it's abilities beyond saying it's powerful and that Ferrothorn makes a good partner. Personally, I don't need to read any descriptions to know that Mega Gyarados is a rising beast in this meta, but I can't speak for the other people who read this RMT with less knowledge of gen 6 OU. Considering how much you care about this team's success, you should at least take the time to describe that EV spread on Gyarados, assuming you actually know the purpose of such a specific spread. I trust your word (and Bloo's judgement) that this team is obviously very successful in tournament play, but that's a shitty reason to ignore the evident flaws this team has, so I sure as hell hope you're planning on making an actual threat list sometime soon. I would like to see this RMT in the archive as a good example for others to follow, because right now it really doesn't speak for itself.

gj nonetheless

edit: better.

Last edited:
Well if it'll stop further posts like this I guess i'll put more description.

Edit: Happy now :] Branflakes325 and Ajwf

Also branflakes, no one made this team successful, it made the people successful ;).

Also to my niggas, It doesn't matter to me whether it's archived or not. But the point of the archive is to feature teams that had a great impact on the metagame. Anyone who looks at the archive can tell how the metagame changed over time. And it's mainly because of adaptations to teams included in the archive. If you go look at most the teams in the archive and use them in tournament play, they just won't work for you. None of them will. That's because the metagame adapted to them. Anyway I said why I posted this RMT at the beginning, it doesn't matter to me what bonuses that come with it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)