UU Meloetta

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A mixed set with Work Up, as I was talking with you on IRC about, could be noteworthy. I'm extremely lazy so I just copypasted this from last gen's Next Best Thing, courtesy of Kokoloko:

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 104 Atk / 188 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive / Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Work Up
- Close Combat

Basically takes slow teams and shoves it right where the sun don't shine. At +1, Close Combat OHKOs the standard 0/52 CB Snorlax after SR while Umbreon takes a minimum of 70% (weaken it a bit, cause Foul Play will hurt). Thunderbolt OHKOs Slowbro 100% of the time, and after Stealth Rock, 252/0 Suicune 75% of the time and 248/0 Slowking 100% of the time. The standard 252/0 Togekiss is also OHKOd after SR (90% minimum). Enough Speed for max Speed non-scarf Heracross/Nidoking/Suicune/Kingdra.

Basically pair it with paralysis support and watch it demolish offense on top of already wrecking defensive teams. It walks over its typical counters.

Relic Song and Knock Off could also be used on the above set, but that might be a bit of a stretch, and one would have to compensate by finding a different functional EV spread. It also wouldn't be a mixed set :[

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
Note that Hyper Voice+Shadow Ball hits the whole meta neutral, so it could be slashed on the subCM set. Only downside is that you're missing out on psyshock which allows you to win CM wars vs stuff like suicune. If it doesnt deserve a slash just mention it in Set Details.

Last edited:

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
A mixed set with Work Up, as I was talking with you on IRC about, could be noteworthy. I'm extremely lazy so I just copypasted this from last gen's Next Best Thing, courtesy of Kokoloko:

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 104 Atk / 188 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive / Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Work Up
- Close Combat

Basically takes slow teams and shoves it right where the sun don't shine. At +1, Close Combat OHKOs the standard 0/52 CB Snorlax after SR while Umbreon takes a minimum of 70% (weaken it a bit, cause Foul Play will hurt). Thunderbolt OHKOs Slowbro 100% of the time, and after Stealth Rock, 252/0 Suicune 75% of the time and 248/0 Slowking 100% of the time. The standard 252/0 Togekiss is also OHKOd after SR (90% minimum). Enough Speed for max Speed non-scarf Heracross/Nidoking/Suicune/Kingdra.

Basically pair it with paralysis support and watch it demolish offense on top of already wrecking defensive teams. It walks over its typical counters.

Relic Song and Knock Off could also be used on the above set, but that might be a bit of a stretch, and one would have to compensate by finding a different functional EV spread. It also wouldn't be a mixed set :[
Meloetta-A has a really bad Attack stat and the only reason to go mixed is Relic Song. I think it will stay in OO.

Note that Hyper Voice+Shadow Ball hits the whole neutral, so it could be slashed on the subCM set. Only downside is that you're missing out on psyshock which allows you to win CM wars vs stuff like suicune. If it doesnt deserve a slash just mention it in Set Details.
I don't think it deserves a slash, but I mentioned it.

Also, I removed Dazzling Gleam from the Calm Mind set. It just doesn't offer enough coverage or power.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Also, I removed Dazzling Gleam from the Calm Mind set. It just doesn't offer enough coverage or power.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on saying that Focus Blast is better than D-Gleam. Hyper Voice + Psychic + Focus Blast means that you are completely walled by Sableye, and the main issue with running Focus Miss is that, well, it misses. The only notable pokemon that I can think of that isn't hit when you lack Focus Blast is Aggron as Bronzong/Metagross don't get hit particularly hard anyway due to the neutrality. Either way, you are going to be walled by something, so they should both be slashed in.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I'm going to have to disagree with you on saying that Focus Blast is better than D-Gleam. Hyper Voice + Psychic + Focus Blast means that you are completely walled by Sableye, and the main issue with running Focus Miss is that, well, it misses. The only notable pokemon that I can think of that isn't hit when you lack Focus Blast is Aggron as Bronzong/Metagross don't get hit particularly hard anyway due to the neutrality. Either way, you are going to be walled by something, so they should both be slashed in.
Sableye is around, but Focus Blast has a lot more coverage. One pokemon doesn't compare to every Steel type in the tier.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sableye is around, but Focus Blast has a lot more coverage. One pokemon doesn't compare to every Steel type in the tier.
If you read my post, I have listed a few that aren't hit hard enough by FB. While I agree it should be slashed first, DG isn't bad enough to justify it not being slashed as Sableye is a big threat, and the ability to OHKO specially defensive variants after SR at +1 (+1 252 SpA Meloetta Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 244-288 (80.2 - 94.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock) and without them at +2 (+2 252 SpA Meloetta Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 326-384 (107.2 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO) is big.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
If you read my post, I have listed a few that aren't hit hard enough by FB. While I agree it should be slashed first, DG isn't bad enough to justify it not being slashed as Sableye is a big threat, and the ability to OHKO specially defensive variants after SR at +1 (+1 252 SpA Meloetta Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 244-288 (80.2 - 94.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock) and without them at +2 (+2 252 SpA Meloetta Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 326-384 (107.2 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO) is big.
I'd rather wait for QC opinion on this.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ADD
REMOVE
Capitalization
(COMMENTS)

Overview
########
At a glance, Meloetta-A looks like your typical Psychic-type with high Special Attack and Special Defense stats. However, With its Meloetta-A is able to set itself apart with its large assortment of support moves as well as its signature move Relic Song, Meloetta-A is able to set itself apart from the rest of the typical Psychic-types in the tier. When used, Relic Song will change the typing and stats of Meloetta-A completely, turning it into Meloetta-P, a Normal(Space)/(Space)Fighting-type with high Attack and Speed stats. Meloetta-P naturally outspeeds most of the tier and is blessed by the buff to Knock Off,(AC) which serves as as now, Meloetta-P has a good way to hurt Ghost-types that might try to wall it.

However, Meloetta-A and Meloetta-P have some defining flaws. Meloetta-A has a below-average Defense stat for a bulky Pokemon and Meloetta has no reliable recovery, which means that Meloetta-A has makes it to have to constantly avoid taking powerful attacks. To make matters worse, Meloetta-A doesn't have a very good Speed stat and is under the constant threat of being outsped. Meloetta-A takes a turn to setup into Meloetta-P, leaving and leaves it open to attacks on that turn, which can cost you the game. Nonetheless, Meloetta is a very versatile Pokemon and, if played right, can be a great addition to any team.

Sub CM
########
name: Sub CM
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Psyshock
move 4: Thunderbolt / Focus Blast
ability: Serene Grace
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spd

Moves
========
Meloetta-A already has amazing Special Attack and Special Defense stats, but Calm Mind boosts these stats to even greater levels, putting offensive pressure on the opponent as well as preparing Meloetta-A for a sweep. Substitute is Meloetta-A's best way of avoiding status and can give Meloetta-A more setup opportunities, putting further offensive pressure on the opponent. After a Calm Mind boost, Psyshock hits very hard and aims to hit special walls, Assault Vest users, and opposing Calm Mind users. Thunderbolt hits common Calm Mind users and bulky Water-types for super effective damage and enables Meloetta-A to easily win Calm Mind wars. If Dark-types are problematic, then Meloetta-A can use Focus Blast to secure KO's on these threatening Pokemon. Dazzling Gleam can be used as a more accurate way to hit Dark-types and prevents Sableye from walling Meloetta-A, but it lacks the coverage and the power that Focus Blast has. Hyper Voice and Shadow Ball give perfect neutral coverage, but they don't give many super effective hits.

Set Details
========
A Timid nature and 120 Speed EVs and a Timid nature allow Meloetta-A to outspeed Adamant Heracross and Adamant Toxicroak while also outpacing every relevant wall in the tier. With max Special Attack, not many Pokemon can take a hit from Meloetta-A after a Calm Mind boost. The remaining HP EVs give Meloetta-A a little more bulk and can potentially keep Meloetta-A's Substitute up for another turn. Leftovers is the most Meloetta-A has for reliable recovery and can help Meloetta-A take another hit if it needs to.

Usage Tips
========
Meloetta-A can beat opposing Calm Mind users like Suicune and Slowbro, so set up Calm Mind boosts on them or try to deal with them quickly with Thunderbolt. Don't stay in on strong Pokemon like Hydreigon or Houndoom unless you're behind a Substitute, in which case, try to take them out quickly with Focus Blast.

Team Options
========
Meloetta is vulnerable to all forms of entry hazards, so Rapid Spinners like Forretress and Tentacruel can help by spinning away entry hazards, but Defog users like Mew and Empoleon can also make great partners as they can Defog hazards away. Pokemon like Sableye and Jirachi can burn or paralyze opposing Pokemon,(AC) respectively,(AC) to potentially give Meloetta-A another setup opportunity. Physically defensive walls like Slowbro can stop the strong physical attackers that would otherwise tear Meloetta-A apart and are great teammates for Meloetta-A. Aromatisse and Alomomola are excellent physical walls that can also provide status support.

Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Psyshock
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt
item: Assault Vest
nature: Modest
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD

Moves
========
Psyshock is Meloetta-A's primary STAB move and hits opposing Assault Vest users and specially defensive walls for heavy damage. Hyper Voice is Meloetta-A's secondary STAB move and is great at getting strong neutral damage. Focus Blast prevents Steel-type Pokemon from walling Meloetta-A and is an excellent way of destroying Dark-type switch-ins. Shadow Ball inflicts a lot of damage to Pokemon like Celebi and Metagross and is excellent at breaking specially defensive walls like Mew thanks to Serene Grace, giving Shadow Ball a 40% chance to lower Special Defense. Thunderbolt is an excellent way of getting past bulky Water-types like Suicune and Vaporeon and can OHKO most Flying-types. If Sableye is troublesome, then Meloetta-A can opt for Dazzling Gleam in replacement of Focus Blast to hit Sableye and give better accuracy, but it gives Meloetta-A less power and coverage.

Set Details
========
248 HP EVs give Meloetta-A another Stealth Rock switch-in while also maximizing Meloetta-A's bulk. With max Special Attack and a Modest nature, Meloetta-A can deal out lots of damage while also retaining a lot of special bulk thanks to Assault Vest. Assault Vest allows Meloetta-A to take special hits extremely well, so well that Choice Specs Hydreigon barely guarantees a 2HKO on Meloetta-A. Serene Grace gives Meloetta-A the ability to wallbreak opposing Pokemon with Special Defense drops from Focus Blast and Shadow Ball while also giving Thunderbolt a higher chance to paralyze opposing Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========
Don't use Meloetta-A recklessly, as even though it can take special attacks extremely well, Meloetta has no reliable recovery. Switch in to a neutral Special Attack and deal out as much damage as possible while trying to avoid physical hits and strong special attacks.

Team Options
========
Pokemon that can take the physical hits that Meloetta-A can't make great teammates. Cleric support in the form of Wish and Heal Bell or Aromatherapy can help increase Meloetta-A's longevity drastically severely. Meloetta doesn't want to take excessive damage because Meloetta it has no reliable recovery, so Meloetta-A it appreciates the support that Pokemon like Blastoise and Aerodactyl can provide by getting rid of entry hazards using Rapid Spin or Defog respectively. Aromatisse is an excellent partner for to Meloetta-A due to its nifty resistances to Dark- and Bug-type moves, its ability to take physical hits rather well, and its access to cleric support.

Physical Sweeper
########
name: Physical Sweeper
move 1: Relic Song
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Return
move 4: Knock Off
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Moves
========
Relic Song is the most important move in this set as it is the only way to turn Meloetta-A into Meloetta-P, but thankfully, it has a 20% chance to make the opposing Pokemon fall asleep as well, so it isn't an entirely weak useless move. Close Combat is Meloetta-P's main STAB move and can effectively punch holes into teams. Return gives Meloetta-P a strong STAB move that effectively delivers gives strong neutral hits to much of the metagame. Knock Off is Meloetta-P's best way of dealing with Ghost-types that would otherwise wall it and helps hits Psychic-types that threaten for heavy damage.

Set Details
========
With maximum Speed investment and a Timid nature, Meloetta-P outspeeds most of the tier after transforming. Max Attack gives Meloetta-P the power to pound through the opposition with relative ease. A Jolly nature is preferred to enable Meloetta-P to outspeed as much as possible, but an Adamant nature can be run to give Meloetta-P even more power. Life Orb helps Meloetta-P deal out as much damage as it can and helps it guarantee 2HKO's on Pokemon like Slowbro after Stealth Rock damage. Relic Song gets a 20% chance to make the opposing Pokemon fall asleep thanks to Serene Grace.

Usage Tips
========
Meloetta-P is an excellent mid- to late-game cleaner and can play mind games with the opponent as to if whether Meloetta is going to transform or not. Try to avoid using Meloetta-P early in the match because it takes a turn to set up every time Meloetta-A switches in. Try to use Meloetta-P after Choice Scarfed using Pokemon and Pokemon that naturally outspeed Meloetta-P are taken out.

Team Options
========
Entry hazards like Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Sticky Web can help Meloetta-P in its sweep immensely by securing OHKO'(-Apos)s for Meloetta-P and by slowing down potentially Choice Scarfed Pokemon. Shuckle can provide Stealth Rock and Sticky Web support while Forretress can provide Stealth Rock and Spikes support. Meloetta-P hates status, so Pokemon that can absorb status like Guts Heracross can be a great teammates. Meloetta-P can't outspeed Choice Scarfed Pokemon, so a Pokemon that can wall them like Quagsire or Florges are appreciated.

Other Options
########
A mixed attacking set with Relic Song, Work Up, Psychic, and Close Combat could work well, but switching between forms with Relic Song can be difficult. Meloetta-P can go for a bulky Assault Vest set with Relic Song, Drain Punch, Knock Off, and a filler move, but Relic Song takes too long to use this set effectively. Meloetta has a huge support movepool that can be utilized well with Meloetta-A'its incredible special bulk, but with threats like Mega Houndoom and Hydreigon roaming the tier, it's difficult to use well. A Choice Scarf Meloetta-A set can be used to abuse Meloetta-A's incredible Special Attack stat while somewhat mitigating its measly 90 base Speed. A Choice Specs set would make Meloetta-A an incredibly strong wallbreaker, but it's usually outclassed in that role by Darmanitan and Exploud. Choiced sets can use Trick to cripple opponents. U-turn is a great scouting move, but Meloetta-A's Attack stat is pretty low and Meloetta-A is usually better off firing a powerful special attack.

Checks and Counters
########
**Dark-types**: Fast and hard-hitting Dark-types like Mega Absol and Krookodile can easily wipe out Meloetta-A, but have difficulty getting around Meloetta-P.
**Physical Attackers**: If Meloetta-A can't outspeed a physical attacker, then it will immediately threaten to KO Meloetta-A.
**Choice Scarfed Pokemon**: Common Choice Scarfed Pokemon like Darmanitan, Victini, and Mienshao can threaten to outspeed and KO both Meloetta forms.
**Mega Aerodactyl**: Mega Aerodactyl gets a special mention for being able to naturally outspeed Meloetta-P and OHKO with Aerial Ace.
**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types like Chandelure wall Meloetta-P because Meloetta-A can't transform into Meloetta-P if Relic Song can't hit and Ghost-types laugh at Knock Off from Meloetta-A due to its abysmal Attack stat.
**Sableye**: Sableye completely walls any set lacking Dazzling Gleam and can simply stall out both forms with Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, and Recover.

GP 1/2

Last edited:
Hmm, while I'm no Meloetta expert, I feel as though the Overview is a little odd. You mention how Meloetta has a large assortment of support options, yet not a single support move is on any of the sets. You also seem to talk a lot about Meloetta-P, even though Sub + Calm Mind is the first set. If I were you, I'd get rid of the support movepool mention for a mention of, say, a sentence that talks about how Meloetta-A's high Special Attack and Special Defense stats make it a great user of Calm Mind, or something of the like. I don't know, it just seems weird to me to have Sub CM as the first set, but have any of its positives absent from the Overview.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Hmm, while I'm no Meloetta expert, I feel as though the Overview is a little odd. You mention how Meloetta has a large assortment of support options, yet not a single support move is on any of the sets. You also seem to talk a lot about Meloetta-P, even though Sub + Calm Mind is the first set. If I were you, I'd get rid of the support movepool mention for a mention of, say, a sentence that talks about how Meloetta-A's high Special Attack and Special Defense stats make it a great user of Calm Mind, or something of the like. I don't know, it just seems weird to me to have Sub CM as the first set, but have any of its positives absent from the Overview.
The high Special Attack and Special Defense part was actually removed. It was there before and I do agree that it's an important attribute, but I don't think I should add it back right after it was removed. Also, Meloetta does have a ton of support moves, and considering it's the overview for talking about attributes of the Pokemon, I think it's fine.

The high Special Attack and Special Defense part was actually removed. It was there before and I do agree that it's an important attribute, but I don't think I should add it back right after it was removed. Also, Meloetta does have a ton of support moves, and considering it's the overview for talking about attributes of the Pokemon, I think it's fine.
I think it was removed because the way you had it worded made it sound like it was more of a flaw, like it was something that made Meloetta-A an average Pokemon. I think if you reworded it to make is sound more like a positive trait, it'd be fine in the first paragraph.

Also it just doesn't make sense to talk about a good support movepool when it'll never be used. .-.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I think it was removed because the way you had it worded made it sound like it was more of a flaw, like it was something that made Meloetta-A an average Pokemon. I think if you reworded it to make is sound more like a positive trait, it'd be fine in the first paragraph.

Also it just doesn't make sense to talk about a good support movepool when it'll never be used. .-.
I just talked about it on irc and they said it was fine.

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

Overview
########
With its large assortment of support moves as well as its signature move Relic Song, Meloetta is able to set itself apart from the rest of the typical Psychic-types in the tier. When used, Relic Song will change the typing and stats of Meloetta completely, turning it into Meloetta-P, a Normal / Fighting type with high Attack and Speed stats. Meloetta-P naturally outspeeds most of the tier and is blessed by the buff to Knock Off, which serves as a good way to hurt Ghost-types that might try to wall it.

However, Meloetta and Meloetta-P have some defining flaws. Meloetta has a below-average Defense stat for a bulky Pokemon and has no reliable recovery, which makes it to have to constantly avoid taking means it can't take powerful attacks. To make matters worse, Meloetta doesn't have a very good Speed stat and is under the constant threat of being outsped. Meloetta-A It also takes a turn to setup into transform into Meloetta-P, leaving it open to attacks on that turn, which can cost you the game. Nonetheless, Meloetta is a very versatile Pokemon and, if played right, can be a great addition to any team.

SubCM
########
name: SubCM

Moves
========
Meloetta already has amazing Special Attack and Special Defense stats, but and Calm Mind boosts these stats to even greater levels, putting offensive pressure on the opponent as well as preparing Meloetta it for a sweep. Substitute is Meloetta's best way of avoiding status and can give Meloetta-A it more setup opportunities, putting further offensive pressure on the opponent. After a Calm Mind boost, Psyshock hits very hard, dealing heavy damage in particular to and aims to hit special walls, Assault Vest users, and opposing Calm Mind users. Thunderbolt hits common Calm Mind users and bulky Water-types for super effective damage and enables Meloetta to easily win Calm Mind wars. If Dark-types are problematic, then Meloetta can use Focus Blast to secure KOs on these threatening Pokemon. Dazzling Gleam can be used as a more accurate way to hit Dark-types and prevent Sableye from walling Meloetta, but it lacks the coverage and the power that Focus Blast has. Hyper Voice and Shadow Ball give perfect neutral coverage, but they don't give many super effective hits.

Set Details
========
A Timid nature and 120 Speed EVs allow Meloetta to outspeed Adamant Heracross and Adamant Toxicroak while also outpacing every relevant wall in the tier. With maximum Special Attack, not many Pokemon can take a hit from +1 Meloetta after a Calm Mind boost. The remaining HP EVs give Meloetta a little more bulk and can potentially keep Meloetta-A's its Substitute up for another turn. Leftovers is the most best Meloetta has for reliable recovery and can help Meloetta-A the latter take another hit if it needs to.

Usage Tips
========
Meloetta can beat opposing Calm Mind users like Suicune and Slowbro, so set up Calm Mind boosts on them or try to deal with them quickly with Thunderbolt. Don't stay in on strong Pokemon like Hydreigon or Houndoom unless you're Meloetta behind a Substitute; (semi-colon) in which that case, try to take them out quickly with Focus Blast.

Team Options
========
Meloetta is vulnerable to all forms of entry hazards, so Rapid Spinners like such as Forretress and Tentacruel and Defog users such as Mew and Empoleon can help by spinning away entry hazards, but Defog users like Mew and Empoleon can also make great partners as they can Defog hazards away. Pokemon like Sableye and Jirachi can burn or paralyze opposing Pokemon, respectively, to potentially give Meloetta another setup opportunity. Physically defensive walls like such as Slowbro can stop the strong physical attackers that would otherwise tear Meloetta apart and are thus great teammates for Meloetta-A it. Aromatisse and Alomomola are excellent physical walls that can also provide status support.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========
Psyshock is Meloetta's primary STAB move and hits opposing Assault Vest users and specially defensive walls for heavy damage. Hyper Voice is Meloetta-A's a secondary STAB move and that is great at getting strong neutral damage. Focus Blast prevents Steel-type Pokemon from walling Meloetta and is an excellent way of destroying Dark-type switch-ins. Shadow Ball inflicts a lot of damage to Pokemon like Celebi and Metagross and is excellent at breaking specially defensive walls like Mew thanks to Serene Grace, giving Shadow Ball which gives it a 40% chance to lower Special Defense. Thunderbolt is an excellent way of getting past bulky Water-types like such as Suicune and Vaporeon and can OHKO most Flying-types. If Sableye is troublesome, then Meloetta can opt for Dazzling Gleam in replacement of over Focus Blast to hit Sableye and give better accuracy, but it gives Meloetta less power and coverage.

Set Details
========
248 HP EVs give Meloetta an extra Stealth Rock switch-in while also maximizing Meloetta-A's its bulk. With maximum Special Attack and a Modest nature, Meloetta can deal out lots of damage while also retaining a lot of excellent special bulk thanks to Assault Vest; for instance, Assault Vest allows Meloetta-A to take special hits extremely well, so well that Choice Specs Hydreigon barely guarantees manages a 2HKO on Meloetta. Serene Grace gives Meloetta the ability to wallbreak opposing Pokemon with Special Defense drops from Focus Blast and Shadow Ball while also giving Thunderbolt a higher chance to paralyze opposing Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========
Don't use Meloetta recklessly, as even though it can take special attacks extremely well, Meloetta it has no reliable recovery. Ideally, it should switch into a neutral special attack and deal out as much damage as possible while trying to avoid physical hits and strong special attacks.

Team Options
========
Pokemon that can take the physical hits that Meloetta can't make great teammates. Cleric support in the form of Wish and Heal Bell or Aromatherapy can help increase Meloetta's longevity drastically. Meloetta doesn't want to take excessive damage because it has no reliable recovery, so it appreciates the support that Pokemon like Blastoise and Aerodactyl can provide by getting rid of entry hazards using Rapid Spin or Defog respectively. Aromatisse is an excellent partner for Meloetta due to its nifty resistances to Dark- and Bug-type moves, its ability to take physical hits rather well, and its access to cleric support Wish and Aromatherapy.

Physical Sweeper
########

Moves
========
Relic Song is the most important move in this set as it is the only way to turn Meloetta-A allows Meloetta to transform into Meloetta-P, but and thankfully, it has a 20% chance to make the opposing Pokemon fall asleep as well, so it isn't an entirely useless move. Close Combat is Meloetta-P's main STAB move and can effectively punch holes in teams. Return gives Meloetta-P a strong STAB move that delivers strong neutral hits to hits much of the metagame neutrally. Knock Off is Meloetta-P's best way of dealing with Ghost-types that would otherwise wall it, (add comma) and helps also hitting the Psychic-types that threaten it for heavy damage.

Set Details
========
With maximum Speed investment and a Timid Jolly nature, Meloetta-P outspeeds most of the tier after transforming. Maximum Attack gives Meloetta-P the power to pound through the opposition with relative ease. A Jolly nature is preferred to enable Meloetta-P to outspeed as much as possible, but an Adamant nature can be run to give Meloetta-P it even more power. Life Orb helps Meloetta-P dish out as much damage as it can and helps it guarantees 2HKOs on Pokemon like Slowbro after Stealth Rock damage. Relic Song gets a 20% chance to make the opposing Pokemon fall asleep thanks to Serene Grace.

Usage Tips
========
Meloetta-P is an excellent mid- to late-game cleaner and can play mind games with the opponent as to whether Meloetta is going to transform or not. Try to avoid using Meloetta-P early in the match because it takes a turn to set up transform every time Meloetta-A it switches in. Try to use Meloetta-P after Choice Scarf users Pokemon and Pokemon that naturally outspeed Meloetta-P it are taken out.

Team Options
========
Entry hazards like Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Sticky Web can help Meloetta-P in its sweep immensely by securing OHKOs for Meloetta-P for it and by slowing down potentially Choice Scarf users Pokemon. Shuckle can provide Stealth Rock and Sticky Web support, (add comma) while and Forretress can provide Stealth Rock and Spikes support. Meloetta-P hates status, so Pokemon that can absorb status like Guts Heracross can be great teammates. Meloetta-P can't outspeed Choice Scarf users Pokemon, so a Pokemon that can wall them, (add comma) like such as Quagsire or Florges, (add comma) are appreciated.

Other Options
########
A mixed attacking set with Relic Song, Work Up, Psychic, and Close Combat could work well, but switching between formes with Relic Song can be difficult. Meloetta-P can go for a bulky Assault Vest set with Relic Song, Drain Punch, Knock Off, and a filler move, but once again, Relic Song takes too long makes it difficult to use this set effectively. Meloetta has a huge support movepool that can be utilized well with its incredible special bulk, but with threats like Mega Houndoom and Hydreigon roaming the tier, it's difficult to use well. A Choice Scarf Meloetta-A set can be used to abuse Meloetta-A's make good use of Meloetta's incredible Special Attack stat while somewhat mitigating its measly 90 base 90 Speed. A Choice Specs set would make Meloetta an incredibly strong wallbreaker, but it's usually outclassed in that role by Darmanitan and Exploud (this makes it sound like Darmanitan is a good Choice Specs user). Choice sets can use Trick to cripple opponents. U-turn is a great scouting move, but Meloetta's Attack stat is pretty low, (add comma) and Meloetta-A it is usually better off firing a powerful special attack.

Checks and Counters
########
**Dark-types**: Fast, (add comma) and hard-hitting Dark-types like Mega Absol and Krookodile can easily wipe out Meloetta, but they have difficulty getting around Meloetta-P.

**Physical Attackers**: If Meloetta-A can't outspeed a physical attacker, then it will immediately threaten to KO Meloetta-A . (Please write this in a direct form. I don't know the relevant physical attackers, but it should be something like: "Powerful physical attackers such as <insert names> can outspeed and deal heavy damage to Meloetta-A, if not KO it off the bat.")

**Choice Scarfed Pokemon users**: Common Choice Scarf users Pokemon like such as Darmanitan, Victini, and Mienshao can threaten to outspeed and KO both Meloetta formes.

**Mega Aerodactyl**: Mega Aerodactyl gets a special mention for being able to naturally outspeed Meloetta-P and OHKO with Aerial Ace.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types like such as Chandelure wall Meloetta-P; thanks to their immunity to Relic Song, Meloetta can't transform, and Knock Off will deal poor damage coming off because Meloetta-A can't transform into Meloetta-P if Relic Song can't hit and Ghost-types laugh at Knock Off from Meloetta-A due to its abysmal base 77 Attack stat.

**Sableye**: Sableye completely walls any set lacking Dazzling Gleam and can simply stall out both formes with Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, and Recover.

The base forme is supposed to be written as 'Meloetta', not 'Meloetta-A'.

GP 2 / 2

Last edited:

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

Overview
########
With its large assortment of support moves as well as its signature move Relic Song, Meloetta is able to set itself apart from the rest of the typical Psychic-types in the tier. When used, Relic Song will change the typing and stats of Meloetta completely, turning it into Meloetta-P, a Normal / Fighting type with high Attack and Speed stats. Meloetta-P naturally outspeeds most of the tier and is blessed by the buff to Knock Off, which serves as a good way to hurt Ghost-types that might try to wall it.

However, Meloetta and Meloetta-P have some defining flaws. Meloetta has a below-average Defense stat for a bulky Pokemon and has no reliable recovery, which makes it to have to constantly avoid taking means it can't take powerful attacks. To make matters worse, Meloetta doesn't have a very good Speed stat and is under the constant threat of being outsped. Meloetta-A It also takes a turn to setup into transform into Meloetta-P, leaving it open to attacks on that turn, which can cost you the game. Nonetheless, Meloetta is a very versatile Pokemon and, if played right, can be a great addition to any team.

SubCM
########
name: SubCM

Moves
========
Meloetta already has amazing Special Attack and Special Defense stats, but and Calm Mind boosts these stats to even greater levels, putting offensive pressure on the opponent as well as preparing Meloetta it for a sweep. Substitute is Meloetta's best way of avoiding status and can give Meloetta-A it more setup opportunities, putting further offensive pressure on the opponent. After a Calm Mind boost, Psyshock hits very hard, dealing heavy damage in particular to and aims to hit special walls, Assault Vest users, and opposing Calm Mind users. Thunderbolt hits common Calm Mind users and bulky Water-types for super effective damage and enables Meloetta to easily win Calm Mind wars. If Dark-types are problematic, then Meloetta can use Focus Blast to secure KOs on these threatening Pokemon. Dazzling Gleam can be used as a more accurate way to hit Dark-types and prevent Sableye from walling Meloetta, but it lacks the coverage and the power that Focus Blast has. Hyper Voice and Shadow Ball give perfect neutral coverage, but they don't give many super effective hits.

Set Details
========
A Timid nature and 120 Speed EVs allow Meloetta to outspeed Adamant Heracross and Adamant Toxicroak while also outpacing every relevant wall in the tier. With maximum Special Attack, not many Pokemon can take a hit from +1 Meloetta after a Calm Mind boost. The remaining HP EVs give Meloetta a little more bulk and can potentially keep Meloetta-A's its Substitute up for another turn. Leftovers is the most best Meloetta has for reliable recovery and can help Meloetta-A the latter take another hit if it needs to.

Usage Tips
========
Meloetta can beat opposing Calm Mind users like Suicune and Slowbro, so set up Calm Mind boosts on them or try to deal with them quickly with Thunderbolt. Don't stay in on strong Pokemon like Hydreigon or Houndoom unless you're Meloetta behind a Substitute; (semi-colon) in which that case, try to take them out quickly with Focus Blast.

Team Options
========
Meloetta is vulnerable to all forms of entry hazards, so Rapid Spinners like such as Forretress and Tentacruel and Defog users such as Mew and Empoleon can help by spinning away entry hazards, but Defog users like Mew and Empoleon can also make great partners as they can Defog hazards away. Pokemon like Sableye and Jirachi can burn or paralyze opposing Pokemon, respectively, to potentially give Meloetta another setup opportunity. Physically defensive walls like such as Slowbro can stop the strong physical attackers that would otherwise tear Meloetta apart and are thus great teammates for Meloetta-A it. Aromatisse and Alomomola are excellent physical walls that can also provide status support.

Assault Vest
########

Moves
========
Psyshock is Meloetta's primary STAB move and hits opposing Assault Vest users and specially defensive walls for heavy damage. Hyper Voice is Meloetta-A's a secondary STAB move and that is great at getting strong neutral damage. Focus Blast prevents Steel-type Pokemon from walling Meloetta and is an excellent way of destroying Dark-type switch-ins. Shadow Ball inflicts a lot of damage to Pokemon like Celebi and Metagross and is excellent at breaking specially defensive walls like Mew thanks to Serene Grace, giving Shadow Ball which gives it a 40% chance to lower Special Defense. Thunderbolt is an excellent way of getting past bulky Water-types like such as Suicune and Vaporeon and can OHKO most Flying-types. If Sableye is troublesome, then Meloetta can opt for Dazzling Gleam in replacement of over Focus Blast to hit Sableye and give better accuracy, but it gives Meloetta less power and coverage.

Set Details
========
248 HP EVs give Meloetta an extra Stealth Rock switch-in while also maximizing Meloetta-A's its bulk. With maximum Special Attack and a Modest nature, Meloetta can deal out lots of damage while also retaining a lot of excellent special bulk thanks to Assault Vest; for instance, Assault Vest allows Meloetta-A to take special hits extremely well, so well that Choice Specs Hydreigon barely guarantees manages a 2HKO on Meloetta. Serene Grace gives Meloetta the ability to wallbreak opposing Pokemon with Special Defense drops from Focus Blast and Shadow Ball while also giving Thunderbolt a higher chance to paralyze opposing Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========
Don't use Meloetta recklessly, as even though it can take special attacks extremely well, Meloetta it has no reliable recovery. Ideally, it should switch into a neutral special attack and deal out as much damage as possible while trying to avoid physical hits and strong special attacks.

Team Options
========
Pokemon that can take the physical hits that Meloetta can't make great teammates. Cleric support in the form of Wish and Heal Bell or Aromatherapy can help increase Meloetta's longevity drastically. Meloetta doesn't want to take excessive damage because it has no reliable recovery, so it appreciates the support that Pokemon like Blastoise and Aerodactyl can provide by getting rid of entry hazards using Rapid Spin or Defog respectively. Aromatisse is an excellent partner for Meloetta due to its nifty resistances to Dark- and Bug-type moves, its ability to take physical hits rather well, and its access to cleric support Wish and Aromatherapy.

Physical Sweeper
########

Moves
========
Relic Song is the most important move in this set as it is the only way to turn Meloetta-A allows Meloetta to transform into Meloetta-P, but and thankfully, it has a 20% chance to make the opposing Pokemon fall asleep as well, so it isn't an entirely useless move. Close Combat is Meloetta-P's main STAB move and can effectively punch holes in teams. Return gives Meloetta-P a strong STAB move that delivers strong neutral hits to hits much of the metagame neutrally. Knock Off is Meloetta-P's best way of dealing with Ghost-types that would otherwise wall it, (add comma) and helps also hitting the Psychic-types that threaten it for heavy damage.

Set Details
========
With maximum Speed investment and a Timid Jolly nature, Meloetta-P outspeeds most of the tier after transforming. Maximum Attack gives Meloetta-P the power to pound through the opposition with relative ease. A Jolly nature is preferred to enable Meloetta-P to outspeed as much as possible, but an Adamant nature can be run to give Meloetta-P it even more power. Life Orb helps Meloetta-P dish out as much damage as it can and helps it guarantees 2HKOs on Pokemon like Slowbro after Stealth Rock damage. Relic Song gets a 20% chance to make the opposing Pokemon fall asleep thanks to Serene Grace.

Usage Tips
========
Meloetta-P is an excellent mid- to late-game cleaner and can play mind games with the opponent as to whether Meloetta is going to transform or not. Try to avoid using Meloetta-P early in the match because it takes a turn to set up transform every time Meloetta-A it switches in. Try to use Meloetta-P after Choice Scarf users Pokemon and Pokemon that naturally outspeed Meloetta-P it are taken out.

Team Options
========
Entry hazards like Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Sticky Web can help Meloetta-P in its sweep immensely by securing OHKOs for Meloetta-P for it and by slowing down potentially Choice Scarf users Pokemon. Shuckle can provide Stealth Rock and Sticky Web support, (add comma) while and Forretress can provide Stealth Rock and Spikes support. Meloetta-P hates status, so Pokemon that can absorb status like Guts Heracross can be great teammates. Meloetta-P can't outspeed Choice Scarf users Pokemon, so a Pokemon that can wall them, (add comma) like such as Quagsire or Florges, (add comma) are appreciated.

Other Options
########
A mixed attacking set with Relic Song, Work Up, Psychic, and Close Combat could work well, but switching between formes with Relic Song can be difficult. Meloetta-P can go for a bulky Assault Vest set with Relic Song, Drain Punch, Knock Off, and a filler move, but once again, Relic Song takes too long makes it difficult to use this set effectively. Meloetta has a huge support movepool that can be utilized well with its incredible special bulk, but with threats like Mega Houndoom and Hydreigon roaming the tier, it's difficult to use well. A Choice Scarf Meloetta-A set can be used to abuse Meloetta-A's make good use of Meloetta's incredible Special Attack stat while somewhat mitigating its measly 90 base 90 Speed. A Choice Specs set would make Meloetta an incredibly strong wallbreaker, but it's usually outclassed in that role by Darmanitan and Exploud (this makes it sound like Darmanitan is a good Choice Specs user). Choice sets can use Trick to cripple opponents. U-turn is a great scouting move, but Meloetta's Attack stat is pretty low, (add comma) and Meloetta-A it is usually better off firing a powerful special attack.

Checks and Counters
########
**Dark-types**: Fast, (add comma) and hard-hitting Dark-types like Mega Absol and Krookodile can easily wipe out Meloetta, but they have difficulty getting around Meloetta-P.

**Physical Attackers**: If Meloetta-A can't outspeed a physical attacker, then it will immediately threaten to KO Meloetta-A . (Please write this in a direct form. I don't know the relevant physical attackers, but it should be something like: "Powerful physical attackers such as <insert names> can outspeed and deal heavy damage to Meloetta-A, if not KO it off the bat.")

**Choice Scarfed Pokemon users**: Common Choice Scarf users Pokemon like such as Darmanitan, Victini, and Mienshao can threaten to outspeed and KO both Meloetta formes.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types like such as Chandelure wall Meloetta-P; thanks to their immunity to Relic Song, Meloetta can't transform, and Knock Off will deal poor damage coming off because Meloetta-A can't transform into Meloetta-P if Relic Song can't hit and Ghost-types laugh at Knock Off from Meloetta-A due to its abysmal base 77 Attack stat.

**Sableye**: Sableye completely walls any set lacking Dazzling Gleam and can simply stall out both formes with Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, and Recover.

The base forme is supposed to be written as 'Meloetta', not 'Meloetta-A'.

GP 2 / 2
Thank you! This is now done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)