Mightyena (Revamp) QC [3/3] GP [2/2]

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Is Dark.

[Overview]

<p>Mightyena has never been the best Dark-type in the lower tiers, having strong competition with other Dark-type such as Skuntank, Mandibuzz, and Liepard, but Mightyena has one thing going for it: Moxie. Although its base stats aren't that good, Mightyena is fast enough to outspeed a good amount of Pokemon in the tier, is strong enough to abuse Moxie, and has access to a powerful priority move in Sucker Punch. Sadly, Mightyena relies a lot on Sucker Punch because of its Speed, which makes it prone to being set up on by faster opponents such as Serperior, Scolipede, and Jynx. It also has problems with the popular Fighting-types in NU and lacks Pursuit to make the most of its typing. Despite that, the hyena is hard to stop when it gains an Attack boost, which makes it quite threatening.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Sucker Punch
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Taunt / Toxic
item: BlackGlasses / Lum Berry
ability: Moxie
nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is pretty much the best Mightyena can pull off in NU. Sucker Punch is mandatory, allowing Mightyena to overcome its middling Speed and to have a chance against faster opponents, which can make it quite scary after some Moxie boosts. Crunch is a more reliable STAB, mostly used against slower Pokemon or a faster opponent trying to set up on Mightyena or status it. Substitute is here so Mightyena can avoid status moves from slower Pokemon or by forcing out Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Musharna, Misdreavus, Gardevoir, and Jynx. Finally, Taunt or Toxic can be used in the fourth moveslot. Taunt helps to prevent entry hazards and phazing moves, while Toxic helps Mightyena a lot against walls it can't do much against, such as Regirock and Alomomola.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>An Adamant nature is chosen over Jolly because Mightyena needs the extra power due to its low offenses, but Jolly allows Mightyena to outspeed faster Ghost- and Psychic-type such as Adamant or Modest Drifblim and Modest Gardevoir. BlackGlasses is the preferred item as it gives Mightyena the power to guarantee a 2HKO against Musharna after Stealth Rock and to OHKO against Muk after two boost and Stealth Rock. Lum Berry also has some good uses, as it helps Mightyena against Jynx and lets it switch in on status moves from Pokemon such as Musharna and Misdreavus. Howl can also be used over Taunt or Toxic, allowing Mightyena to get a boost behind a Substitute or from a forced switch and OHKO Pokemon such as Roselia and Misdreavus, but Taunt and Toxic's support from Mightyena is more useful most of the time. Life Orb can also be used over BlackGlasses or Lum Berry, as it gives Mightyena more power, but Mightyena will faint quickly with the Life Orb recoil and Substitute.</p>

<p>Since Mightyena can remove Psychic- and Ghost-types, Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Sawk, and Primeape are all great partners to it, as they can easily KO Steel-types and wear down bulkier Pokemon so Mightyena can pick them off later in the game. Garbodor pairs well with Mightyena, as it can take any Bug- or Fighting-type move for Mightyena and set up entry hazards to wear down physical walls for it, while Mightyena can take on Psychic-types for Garbodor. Golurk is also an amazing partner for Mightyena as Golurk is immune to Fighting-type moves, able to take on the Steel-types that wall Mightyena with its STAB Earthquake, and can set up Stealth Rock to support the team. Meanwhile, Mightyena can deal with the Ghost-types that force Golurk out.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Mightyena's movepool is quite scarce, but there are some interesting options in it. Mightyena has access to some decent support moves such as Roar, Yawn, and Torment, but is too frail to use them effectively. Mightyena can also use Dig or Rock Smash to deal with the Steel-types in NU, but they are either easy to avoid or too weak to be viable. Mightyena also has access to Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Fire Fang, and Return, which at first glance might seem to be good, but Mightyena's STABs are stronger most of the time and it should always be paired with Pokemon able to deal with Steel-types and bulky Pokemon anyway. Finally, Dark Gem could be used over BlackGlasses to make the first Sucker Punch stronger, but Mightyena needs BlackGlasses to KO some Pokemon after a boost.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Mightyena isn't hard to take on due to its poor coverage, low Speed, and general frailty. The most common options to counter Mightyena are Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Sawk, Throh, and Primeape, which resist its STAB and can easily finish it off with their own STAB attacks. Another way to stop Mightyena is by the use of faster priority users such as Kangaskhan, Swellow, Zangoose, and Floatzel, as they won't get hit by Sucker Punch, but keep in mind that Mightyena can predict this and strike back with a strong Crunch. Faster Pokemon with Substitute are also a problem as they can easily avoid Sucker Punch, allowing them to strike back next turn without fear. Steel-types such as Probopass, Metang, and Bastiodon are the bane of Mightyena's existance, taking nothing from its STAB attacks with their amazing bulk and typing. Bulky Pokemon such as Piloswine, Golem, Torterra, and Tangela can also easily take a hit from Mightyena and strike back. Finally, Mightyena can't take neutral hits either due to its frailty, easily getting 2HKO by most Pokemon in the tier.</p>
[Overview]

• is Dark, but not that good.
  • Base Speed lets Mightyena outspeed a majority of walls
  • Rely on Sucker Punch a little too much due to its speed, which makes it prone to be set up on by faster Pokemon like Serperior, Scolipede, Jynx (needs some balls), and such.
  • Only niche over fellow Dark-types is Moxie, which can let Mightyena sweep with enough team support.
  • Has a lot of problems with Fighting-types, which are quite popular in NU.
  • Dark typing is really good in NU, but lacks Pursuit to make the most of it.

[SET]
item: Black Glasses / Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Sucker Punch is mandatory, giving Mightyena the chance to get a hit off against faster Pokemon, which are quite popular in the tier.
  • Crunch for a more reliable STAB against slower Pokemon.
  • Substitute to avoid status moves from slower Pokemon or on Psychic-type such as Musharna.
  • Toxic for walls Mightyena can't do much to, such as Regirock and Alomomola.
  • Taunt to prevent entry hazards and such.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Adamant for maximum power, but it will need Jolly to get the jump over Modest Gardevoir, Adamant Drifblim, and some Misdreavus.
  • Black Glasses let Mightyena 2HKO and OHKO stuff after a boost and some entry hazards damage.
  • Lum Berry can help you in mindgames against Jynx, and to switch on status moves such as Musharna's Thunder Wave.
  • Howl over Taunt or Toxic can be used to set up when your opponent's Pokemon switch out to be able to OHKO Pokemon such as Roselia and Misdreavus.
  • Life Orb if you don't care to die from recoil and Substitute.
  • Good partners for Mightyena are Pokemon that likes Ghost- and Psychic-types removed, such as Fighting-type like Gurdurr, Sawk, and Primeape, and more.
  • Garbodor can take any Bug- and Fighting-type move for Mightyena and set up entry hazards to weaken physical walls for Mightyena, while Mightyena can take on Psychic-types for Garbodor.
  • Golurk can also be a good partner, being immune to Fighting-type, able to take on Steel-types with its Ground-type moves and setting up Stealth Rock to support its team.

[Other Options]

• Dark Gem.
  • Roar, Yawn, Torment.
  • Dig and Rock Smash.
  • Elemental Fangs.
  • Return.

[Checks and Counters]

• Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Sawk, and Primeape.
  • Faster priority from Kangaskhan, Swellow, Zangoose, etc.
  • Steel-types such as Probopass and Bastiodon.
  • Frail in general, so even neutral hits can OHKO it.
  • Faster Pokemon with Substitute.
  • Piloswine, Golem, Torterra, and other bulky Pokemon than can take a hit and KO back.

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Skeleton is pretty much done, hopefully i didn't miss something oblivious!

I did change the set too, as I felt it wasn't really that good, but feel free to make me use the old one if needed~

Hey, I am not QC and sorry if I am not allowed to say this, but isn't Mighteyena commonly using Choice Band w/ Crunch / Sucker Punch / Fire Fang / Return? Or is that the set I use? It actually hits decently and after a Moxie boost it will do a significant amount of damage.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
Mightyena doesn't like to be locked by Choice Band, since it usually play mindgames against faster Pokemon between Sucker Punch and Crunch. Also, it makes Moxie less useable since you'll get forced out by walls if locked on Sucker Punch, or faster Pokemon if locked on Crunch, and Fire Fang is simply too weak, which means anything could set up on it.

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
I've made some changes in AC and on the set after speaking to Annoyer which uses it like all the time.

• Leftovers > Black Glasses
  • Taunt first slash with Toxic
  • Life Orb in AC
  • Howl in AC

Last edited:
Why is the set called "dog?" Half my problem is that I've never heard the set called that, but the other is that Mightyena is a hyena, which isn't actually a dog (look it up).

Really minor but the latter really bothers me now that I know about it lol

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
Yeah I didn't put much effort in the name to be completly honest lol (and yes I know it's based on a Hyena, I just find myself naming it like that all the time).

EDIT: Changed the name of the set to Physical Attacker, and I'll write this up soon!

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
This is written, please comment if the Overview has too much fluff (I hate writing overviews for a reason).

I guess its also ready for the 3rd check :mad:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
gettin :mad: @ these analysis numbers

Soulgazer

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Mightyena has never been the best Dark-type in the lower tier, having strong competition with other Dark-type such as Skuntank, Mandibuzz, and Liepard, but Mightyena has one thing going for it: Moxie. Although its base stats aren't that good, Mightyena is fast enough to outspeed a good amount of Pokemon in the tier, is strong enough to abuse Moxie, and has access to a powerful priority in Sucker Punch. Sadly, Mightyena rely a lot on Sucker Punch because of its Speed, which makes it prone to be set up on by faster opponents such as Serperior, Scolipede, and Jynx. It also has problems with the popular Fighting-types in NU and lacks Pursuit to make the most of its typing. Despite that, the hyena is hard to stop when it gain an Attack boost, which makes it quite threatening.</p>

[SET]
item: Black Glasses / Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is pretty much the best Mightyena can pull off in NU. Sucker Punch is mandatory, allowing Mightyena to overcome its middling Speed and to have a chance against faster opponents, which can make it quite scary after some Moxie boosts. Crunch is a more reliable STAB, mostly used against slower Pokemon or a faster opponent trying to set up on Mightyena or to status it. Substitute is here so Mightyena can avoid status moves from slower Pokemon or by forcing out Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Musharna, Misdreavus, Gardevoir, and Jynx. Finally, Taunt or Toxic can be used in the fourth moveslots. Taunt helps to prevent entry hazards and phazing moves, while Toxic helps Mightyena a lot against walls it can't do much against, such as Regirock and Alomomola.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>An Adamant nature is chosen over Jolly because Mightyena needs the extra power due to its low offenses, but Jolly allows Mightyena to outspeed faster Ghost- and Psychic-type such as Adamant or Modest Drifblim and Modest Gardevoir. Blackglasses is the preferred item as it gives Mightyena the power to guarantee a 2HKO against Musharna after Stealth Rock and to OHKO against Muk after two boost and Stealth Rock, and that without recoil. Lum Berry also has some good uses, as it help you against Jynx and let you switch on status moves from Pokemon like Musharna and Misdreavus. Howl can also be used over Taunt or Toxic, allowing Mightyena to get a boost behind a Substitute or by forcing a Pokemon out, and OHKO Pokemon such as Roselia and Misdreavus, but Taunt and Toxic's support from Mightyena is more useful most of the time. Life Orb can also be used over Blackglasses or Lum Berry, as it gives Mightyena more power, but Mightyena will faint quickly with the Life Orb recoil and Substitute.</p>

<p>Since Mightyena can remove Psychic- and Ghost-types, Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Sawk, and Primeape are all great partners to it, (AC) as they can easily KO Steel-types and wear down bulkier Pokemon so Mightyena can pick them off later in the game. Garbodor pairs well with Mightyena, as it can take any Bug- and Fighting-type move for Mightyena and set up entry hazards to wear down physical walls for it, while Mightyena can take on Psychic-types for Garbodor. Golurk is also an amazing partner for Mightyena as Golurk is immune to Fighting-type moves, able to take on the Steel-types that wall Mightyena with its STAB Earthquake, and can set up Stealth Rock to support the team. Meanwhile, Mightyena can deal with the Ghost-types who that force Golurk out.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Mightyena's movepool is quite scarce, but there's some interesting options in it. Mightyena has access to some decent support moves such as Roar, Yawn, and Torment, but it is too frail to use them effectively. Mightyena can also use Dig or Rock Smash to deal with the Steel-types in NU, but they are either easy to avoid or too weak to be viable. Mightyena also has access to Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Fire Fang, and Return, which at first glance might seem to be good, but Mightyena's STABs are stronger most of the time and it should always be paired with Pokemon able to deal with Steel-types and bulky Pokemon anyway. Finally, Dark Gem could be used over Blackglasses to make the first Sucker Punch stronger, but Mightyena needs Blackglasses to KO some Pokemon after a boost.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Mightyena isn't hard to take on due to its poor coverage, low Speed, and general frailty in general. The most common options to counter Mightyena are Fighting-types, (AC) such as Gurdurr, Sawk, Throh, and Primeape, (AC) which resists its STAB and can easily finish it off with their own STAB. Another way to stop Mightyena is by the use of faster priority users such as Kangaskhan, Swellow, Zangoose, and Floatzel, (AC) as they won't get hit by Sucker Punch, but keep in mind Mightyena can predict this and strike back with a strong Crunch. Faster Pokemon with Substitute are also a problem as they can easily avoid Sucker Punch, allowing them to strike back next turn without fear. Steel-types such as Probopass, Metang, and Bastiodon are the bane of Mightyena's existance, taking nothing from its STAB with their amazing bulk and typing. Bulky Pokemon such as Piloswine, Golem, Torterra, and Tangela can also easily take a hit from Mightyena and strike back. Finally, Mightyena can't take neutral hits either due to its frailty, easily getting 2HKO by most Pokemon in the tier.</p>

1/2

Last edited:
gp check
Additions
Removals
Comments

[Overview]

<p>Mightyena has never been the best Dark-type in the lower tiers (lowest?), having strong competition with other Dark-type such as Skuntank, Mandibuzz, and Liepard, but Mightyena has one thing going for it: Moxie. Although its base stats aren't that good, Mightyena is fast enough to outspeed a good amount of Pokemon in the tier, is strong enough to abuse Moxie, and has access to a powerful priority move in Sucker Punch. Sadly, Mightyena rely relies a lot on Sucker Punch because of its Speed, which makes it prone to being set up on by faster opponents such as Serperior, Scolipede, and Jynx. It also has problems with the popular Fighting-types in NU and lacks Pursuit to make the most of its typing. Despite that, the hyena is hard to stop when it gains an Attack boost, which makes it quite threatening.</p>

[SET]
item: Black(remove space)Glasses / Lum Berry ("BlackGlasses")
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is pretty much the best Mightyena can pull off in NU. Sucker Punch is mandatory, allowing Mightyena to overcome its middling Speed and to have a chance against faster opponents, which can make it quite scary after some Moxie boosts. Crunch is a more reliable STAB, mostly used against slower Pokemon or a faster opponent trying to set up on Mightyena or status it. Substitute is here so Mightyena can avoid status moves from slower Pokemon or by forcing out Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Musharna, Misdreavus, Gardevoir, and Jynx. Finally, Taunt or Toxic can be used in the fourth moveslots. Taunt helps to prevent entry hazards and phazing moves, while Toxic helps Mightyena a lot against walls it can't do much against, such as Regirock and Alomomola.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>An Adamant nature is chosen over Jolly because Mightyena needs the extra power due to its low offenses, but Jolly allows Mightyena to outspeed faster Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Adamant or Modest Drifblim and Modest Gardevoir. BlackgGlasses is the preferred item as it gives Mightyena the power to guarantee a 2HKO against Musharna after Stealth Rock and to OHKO against Muk after two boost and Stealth Rock. Lum Berry also has some good uses, as it helps you Mightyena against Jynx and lets you it switch in on status moves from Pokemon like such as Musharna and Misdreavus. Howl can also be used over Taunt or Toxic, allowing Mightyena to get a boost behind a Substitute or by forcing a Pokemon out or from a forced switch,(RC) and OHKO Pokemon such as Roselia and Misdreavus, but Taunt and Toxic's support from Mightyena is more useful most of the time. Life Orb can also be used over BlackgGlasses or Lum Berry, as it gives Mightyena more power, but Mightyena will faint quickly with the Life Orb recoil and Substitute.</p>

<p>Since Mightyena can remove Psychic- and Ghost-types, Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Sawk, and Primeape are all great partners to it, as they can easily KO Steel-types and wear down bulkier Pokemon so Mightyena can pick them off later in the game. Garbodor pairs well with Mightyena, as it can take any Bug- and or Fighting-type move for Mightyena and set up entry hazards to wear down physical walls for it, while Mightyena can take on Psychic-types for Garbodor. Golurk is also an amazing partner for Mightyena as Golurk is immune to Fighting-type moves, able to take on the Steel-types that wall Mightyena with its STAB Earthquake, and can set up Stealth Rock to support the team. Meanwhile, Mightyena can deal with the Ghost-types that force Golurk out.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Mightyena's movepool is quite scarce, but there's are some interesting options in it. Mightyena has access to some decent support moves such as Roar, Yawn, and Torment, but it is too frail to use them effectively. Mightyena can also use Dig or Rock Smash to deal with the Steel-types in NU, but they are either easy to avoid or too weak to be viable. Mightyena also has access to Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Fire Fang, and Return, which at first glance might seem to be good, but Mightyena's STABs are stronger most of the time and it should always be paired with Pokemon able to deal with Steel-types and bulky Pokemon anyway. Finally, Dark Gem could be used over BlackgGlasses to make the first Sucker Punch stronger, but Mightyena needs BlackgGlasses to KO some Pokemon after a boost.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Mightyena isn't hard to take on due to its poor coverage, low Speed, and general frailty. The most common options to counter Mightyena are Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Sawk, Throh, and Primeape, which resist its STAB and can easily finish it off with their own STAB attacks. Another way to stop Mightyena is by the use of faster priority users such as Kangaskhan, Swellow, Zangoose, and Floatzel, as they won't get hit by Sucker Punch, but keep in mind that Mightyena can predict this and strike back with a strong Crunch. Faster Pokemon with Substitute are also a problem as they can easily avoid Sucker Punch, allowing them to strike back next turn without fear. Steel-types such as Probopass, Metang, and Bastiodon are the bane of Mightyena's existance, taking nothing from its STAB attacks with their amazing bulk and typing. Bulky Pokemon such as Piloswine, Golem, Torterra, and Tangela can also easily take a hit from Mightyena and strike back. Finally, Mightyena can't take neutral hits either due to its frailty, easily getting 2HKO by most Pokemon in the tier.</p>

2/2 :mad:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)